PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees

bombay
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Brees and the Saints have beaten consecutive future HOF quarterbacks, and will have a chance to make it a trifecta in Miami. After hammering Warner and the Cardinals last week, Brees and the Saints overcame a mediocre game by taking advantage of the mistake prone Minnesota QB who's name will not be spoken by me. If they can knock off Manning and the Colts, it will be an incredible accomplishment.

I'm so glad San Diego kept the wrong guy. They'd have likely won a Super Bowl or two by now.

Bronx33
01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
But rivers is a WINNER!!

go_broncos
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Brees and the Saints have beaten consecutive future HOF quarterbacks, and will have a chance to make it a trifecta in Miami. After hammering Warner and the Cardinals last week, Brees and the Saints overcame a mediocre game by taking advantage of the mistake prone Minnesota QB who's name will not be spoken by me. If they can knock off Manning and the Colts, it will be an incredible accomplishment.

I'm so glad San Diego kept the wrong guy. They'd have likely won a Super Bowl or two by now.

Brees did nothing yesterday..Vikings lost the game..
Manning will win his 2nd SB.

Bigdawg26
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Yeah I guess throwing for 197 yards 3 tds and no picks is nothing right?? I guess Kyle Orton could have done better by throwing nothing but 5 yard ins and curls?? C'mon dude give credit where it is due the guy threw for 4300 yards this season with 34 TD's and 11 Ints. Yes, the Vikings did have alot of turnovers but the saints caused them. I wish we had Drew Brees on your team then we would be in the Super Bowl!

RhymesayersDU
01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I doubt Brees would make a difference. Rivers is a Top-5 QB whether people want to believe it or not.

The Chargers have all kinds of issues in the playoffs, Brees wouldn't have changed that.

tsiguy96
01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
brees is the 2nd best QB in the nfl over the last few years. if he wins this SB and continues his absolute dominance of NFL defenses, might need to look to the next level: HOF. hes my favorite NFL QB and saints are the funnest team in the NFL to watch.

orinjkrush
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
i'm rooting for short little qbs who have no business in SD. Go Drew. Make mellon head ache.

UberBroncoMan
01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
brees is the 2nd best QB in the nfl over the last few years. if he wins this SB and continues his absolute dominance of NFL defenses, might need to look to the next level: HOF. hes my favorite NFL QB and saints are the funnest team in the NFL to watch.

tsk tsk

Meck77
01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
I was at the game Broncos @ Chargers when brees got crushed. I believe it was Al Wilson. I was right on the sidelines thinking to myself "That might be the end of his career". I can't really blame the Chargers FO for cutting him loose at the time.

bombay
01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Well said. His size and style lead to his being disrespected and underrated, but he's a fine QB. No way would the Chargers have lost to the Patriots in the playoffs three years ago with Brees.

Bronco Yoda
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I wish we had Drew Brees on your team then we would be in the Super Bowl!

I sense some confusion here... :spit:

Popps
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Brees is cold cash money.

But, Rivers is a top flight QB. SD just doesn't have much of a team.

I hate the schumuck, but he certainly isn't SD's problem. Without him, they're pure ****.

tsiguy96
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
tsk tsk

you know its true. clearly i would rather watch the broncos anyday but as far as exciting football teams, our offense really isnt up there.

go_broncos
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Rivers is a better QB than brees..It might be due to River's record against Denver.

RhymesayersDU
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I was at the game Broncos @ Chargers when brees got crushed. I believe it was Al Wilson. I was right on the sidelines thinking to myself "That might be the end of his career". I can't really blame the Chargers FO for cutting him loose at the time.

I thought it was John Lynch, but the point stands true either way. His shoulder was ****ed. I mean, it's great that he made it back and all that, but at the time San Diego made the right choice. It wasn't nearly as simple as picking A or B. I don't blame Miami for passing on him either. Way too much unknown. New Orleans took a gamble and it paid off which is great. But I don't fault anybody for passing on him that offseason.

bronco militia
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
brees looked like a charger again in the 2nd half.....he was awful

24champ
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Brees is a top 3 QB and I thought the playcalling last night sucked for the Saints offense.

Archer81
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Rivers is a better QB than brees..It might be due to River's record against Denver.

Huh...how many championship games has Rivers been to where he did not have to buy a ticket?

:Broncos:

maher_tyler
01-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah I guess throwing for 197 yards 3 tds and no picks is nothing right?? I guess Kyle Orton could have done better by throwing nothing but 5 yard ins and curls?? C'mon dude give credit where it is due the guy threw for 4300 yards this season with 34 TD's and 11 Ints. Yes, the Vikings did have alot of turnovers but the saints caused them. I wish we had Drew Brees on your team then we would be in the Super Bowl!

The one where AP didn't get the hand off was unforced...i attribute the TO's to the Vikes being careless with the ball..It's 50/50! Not taking anything away from Brees he's an awesome QB but if you think the Colts are gonna play that sloppy you got another thing coming!! Manning has 2 weeks to prep for a below average D...Minnesota moved the ball at will. If Indy doesn't turn the ball over and stops NO a couple of times..the Colts win 38-24!! Manning gets MVP..over 300 yards passing 3-4 TD's!!

ZONA
01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Brees is simply one amazing QB. He's as accurate as you can get. He goes up against Olympic archers and he hits the target bullseye 10 out of 10 times. And he didn't just hit the bullseye, he puts the nose of the ball right on the inner most bullseye circle that is no larger then the size of a cup coaster from 20 yards away......10 out of 10 times. The nose of the ball hit that same spot every time. It's frickin amazing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVoqA-LKGb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVoqA-LKGb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

boltaneer
01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
If Brees has remained a Charger, he wouldn't have had the same success as he has now unless Sean Payton was hired here after Marty was fired. He fits Payton's offense perfectly. In San Diego's offense, he did well but he just couldn't take the team to the next level.

He did want to stay here but to say that San Diego let him go is not understanding the situation. They let him go because of money. He would have commanded a pretty hefty contract and they would have either kept paying Rivers his big salary or take the cap hit by trading/releasing him.

I fully believe Rivers would have probably won his team a ring in 2007 had he not torn his ACL and he would have had a shot at the Saints had Kaeding not choked the game away against the Jets.

I'll be rooting for Brees and the Saints but I wouldn't trade Rivers for him. I'm glad things worked out well for both guys.

azbroncfan
01-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Huh...how many championship games has Rivers been to where he did not have to buy a ticket?

Only one less than Brees. Been to the same amount as Brees until yesterday.

24champ
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Amazing how the Chargers just let Brees and Turner walk...whew, glad they did.

rmsanger
01-26-2010, 04:32 AM

At least they had the talent to begin with... Us not so much!

go_broncos
01-26-2010, 05:01 AM
If Brees has remained a Charger, he wouldn't have had the same success as he has now unless Sean Payton was hired here after Marty was fired. He fits Payton's offense perfectly. In San Diego's offense, he did well but he just couldn't take the team to the next level.

He did want to stay here but to say that San Diego let him go is not understanding the situation. They let him go because of money. He would have commanded a pretty hefty contract and they would have either kept paying Rivers his big salary or take the cap hit by trading/releasing him.

I fully believe Rivers would have probably won his team a ring in 2007 had he not torn his ACL and he would have had a shot at the Saints had Kaeding not choked the game away against the Jets.

I'll be rooting for Brees and the Saints but I wouldn't trade Rivers for him. I'm glad things worked out well for both guys.

I agree with you..I will take rivers over brees..You lost the game due to Kaeding missing 3 FG's. The only QB's that are better than rivers are Manning and Brady.

cousinal11
01-26-2010, 05:13 AM
I like Brees and all, but Peyton is going to pick them apart.

barryr
01-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Still funny how Brees gets the recognition he deserves, but the guy maybe is 6'0 and has an ok arm, but not the rocket many around here bitch that Orton doesn't have. You need a rocket arm to be a successful QB in the NFL? Ask Drew Brees.

tsiguy96
01-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Still funny how Brees gets the recognition he deserves, but the guy maybe is 6'0 and has an ok arm, but not the rocket many around here b**** that Orton doesn't have. You need a rocket arm to be a successful QB in the NFL? Ask Drew Brees.

as said before, he has absolutely pinpoint accuracy. he is a better QB then rivers and as far as purely playing the QB position over the last 2 years, you can see hes the best in hte NFL, as far as lifetime of active QBs clearly hes behind manning.

Archer81
01-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Brees is a good player., and i can appreciate his leadership style and ability to carve defenses. The gay side in me loves his ass. Its a win-win.

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Add in that they could have kept Brees and drafted Larry Fitzgerald instead of Rivers... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Brees/Fitz with LT back in his prime? Plus they would have had them together while their defense was still dominant. We're talking probably a couple of Superbowl appearances already.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

boltaneer
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Add in that they could have kept Brees and drafted Larry Fitzgerald instead of Rivers... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Brees/Fitz with LT back in his prime? Plus they would have had them together while their defense was still dominant. We're talking probably a couple of Superbowl appearances already.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

It's easy to say what should have been done in hindsight.

Prior to 2004 (when they drafted Rivers), Brees showed very little that he was going to be an elite quarterback.

I understand a lot of you guys don't like Rivers, but quarterback play has not been the problem for the Chargers in the playoffs.

azbroncfan
01-26-2010, 10:54 AM
If Brees has remained a Charger, he wouldn't have had the same success as he has now unless Sean Payton was hired here after Marty was fired. He fits Payton's offense perfectly. In San Diego's offense, he did well but he just couldn't take the team to the next level..
The best San Diego team was led by Brees in my opinion. The Marty Ball 14-2 campain.

bombay
01-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Prior to 2004 (when they drafted Rivers), Brees showed very little that he was going to be an elite quarterback.

I understand a lot of you guys don't like Rivers, but quarterback play has not been the problem for the Chargers in the playoffs.

You must have missed the game against the Jets.

boltaneer
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with you..I will take rivers over brees..You lost the game due to Kaeding missing 3 FG's. The only QB's that are better than rivers are Manning and Brady.

Everyone has their opinions on who ranks where in the top 5. It's nitpicking at this point in time IMO. I wouldn't get all riled up if people rank Brees over Rivers. And if Brees is able to pull it off in two weeks, he'll most likely have solidified himself as a top 3 quarterback and rightly so.

If I were a Saints fan, I wouldn't take Rivers over Brees. But as a Charger fan, I wouldn't take Brees over Rivers. It's a point I keep harping on but they're both having the success they are having right now because of the style of offenses they are in.

Bigdawg26
01-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Anybody who leaves San Diego and becomes a pro bowler I'm a big fan !!!!

tsiguy96
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Everyone has their opinions on who ranks where in the top 5. It's nitpicking at this point in time IMO. I wouldn't get all riled up if people rank Brees over Rivers. And if Brees is able to pull it off in two weeks, he'll most likely have solidified himself as a top 3 quarterback and rightly so.

If I were a Saints fan, I wouldn't take Rivers over Brees. But as a Charger fan, I wouldn't take Brees over Rivers. It's a point I keep harping on but they're both having the success they are having right now because of the style of offenses they are in.

pretty much this.

snowspot66
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM

I wish we would have signed Brees instead of drafting Cutler. It was the same offseason.

boltaneer
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
[/B]

He didn't have a stellar game but he had a solid game.

Yeah, they need to score touchdowns and not settle for field goals but he put the team in position to win. You can't just point it on the missed field goals but that's nine points that were left on the field in a three point loss.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Brees is simply one amazing QB. He's as accurate as you can get. He goes up against Olympic archers and he hits the target bullseye 10 out of 10 times. And he didn't just hit the bullseye, he puts the nose of the ball right on the inner most bullseye circle that is no larger then the size of a cup coaster from 20 yards away......10 out of 10 times. The nose of the ball hit that same spot every time. It's frickin amazing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVoqA-LKGb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVoqA-LKGb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's not accuracy. It's precision.. :)

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
[/B]

Rivers had a bad game, and he should shoulder a good portion of the blame, but he did get them in range.

bombay
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Yeah, they need to score touchdowns and not settle for field goals but he put the team in position to win. You can't just point it on the missed field goals but that's nine points that were left on the field in a three point loss.

I was just tweaking you. Thought your earlier remarks were pretty accurate.

barryr
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
as said before, he has absolutely pinpoint accuracy. he is a better QB then rivers and as far as purely playing the QB position over the last 2 years, you can see hes the best in hte NFL, as far as lifetime of active QBs clearly hes behind manning.

Not only accuracy, but he gets rid of the ball quickly. He sees the guy open and delivers. He basically trusts his vision and receivers to come down with the ball. Doesn't take a rocket arm to make it big at QB.

bombay
02-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Drew Brees just beat three consecutive HOF quarterbacks.

MaloCS
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM

I couldn't agree more. Brees is a much better QB then Rivers.

MaloCS
02-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I wish we would have signed Brees instead of drafting Cutler. It was the same offseason.

Ahhhh..... I never thought about this. Hmmmm..... makes one wonder.

gunns
02-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Today Brees is the MVP. Guess he did something

gunns
02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Stellar game. Brees. Today.

go_broncos
02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Today Brees is the MVP. Guess he did something

Glad i was wrong.
I never thought manning and colts will score only 17 points.

Good for NO and their fans..I am happy for them...

Xenos
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
The best San Diego team was led by Brees in my opinion. The Marty Ball 14-2 campain.

That was led by Rivers, not Brees.

DenverBrit
02-07-2010, 07:36 PM

But let's be fair, Brees was playing for the Chargers.

Had Rivers joined another team, he'd probably be in a SB by now.

It's not the QB, it's the team.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Nothing against Breesus... but he doesn't go up against olympic archers in this video. Olympic Archers shoot from seventy meters. I dispelled this giant hunk of mythical bullshiat in another thread dedicated to this exact video... so I'm not going to repeat the citations.

Popps
02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
It's early to say this... but I wonder if we may look back at this game as one of the best head to head QB meetings in SB history?

Broncoman13
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I thought it was John Lynch, but the point stands true either way. His shoulder was ****ed. I mean, it's great that he made it back and all that, but at the time San Diego made the right choice. It wasn't nearly as simple as picking A or B. I don't blame Miami for passing on him either. Way too much unknown. New Orleans took a gamble and it paid off which is great. But I don't fault anybody for passing on him that offseason.

Pretty sure it was GMoney

Dr. Broncenstein
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
It's early to say this... but I wonder if we may look back at this game as one of the best head to head QB meetings in SB history?

It wasn't quite Elway / Favre... but it delivered.

Dudeskey
02-07-2010, 08:56 PM

I remember he did hit the FA market healing from a torn labrum I think. There was a bit of criticism toward the Saints' FO for paying so much for him @ the time while coming off that injury. Mr. Loomis looked pretty damn smart after Brees proved himself first year out w/ NO.

strafen
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Drew Breesus!
That's how he's been called in New Orleans.
Great guy, and I'm happy for him.
What a career he's had. Bounced from one team to another his whole career, shown consistency everywhere he's gone, and finally gets his first championship.
It's hard to root against him...

Dudeskey
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Drew Breesus!
That's how he's been called in New Orleans.
Great guy, and I'm happy for him.
What a career he's had. Bounced from one team to another his whole career, shown consistency everywhere he's gone, and finally gets his first championship.
It's hard to root against him...

He's only been w/ 2 teams in his career. SD let him walk after 1 year on the franchise tag. They figured there was no trade value for him w/ his labrum injury.

bombay
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
It was Lynch who put the hit on Brees that damaged his shoulder.

XXXII&III
02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Joe Tiller, retired Purdue coach who recruited both Brees and Orton, in comparing the two, says Brees is a more accurate passer, while Orton has the stronger arm.

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Joe Tiller, retired Purdue coach who recruited both Brees and Orton, in comparing the two, says Brees is a more accurate passer, while Orton has the stronger arm.

Wow, that's an interesting comment.

I will say this though, Brees had a poor arm when he was here in San Diego. For whatever reason, the actual surgery or the rehab, his arm got significantly stronger after he came back from the injury.

You guys just need Orton to jack up his throwing arm/shoulder this year and you'll be set for the future! ;)