PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nolan leaving Denver could bring defense’s downfall

rastaman
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike Nolan leaving Denver could bring defense’s downfall

By Rich Kurtzman | January 19, 2010

Just in on this Monday evening, the Denver Broncos and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have mutually agreed to part ways according to ESPN’s AFC West blogger Bill Williamson. Nolan’s departure from Denver makes the third Broncos’ assistant coach to leave the mile high city in the last two weeks.

Offensive line coach Rick Dennison went to Houston and running backs coach Bobby Turner to Washington. Both were Shanahan holdovers and as Turner rejoins Shanny with the Redskins, Dennison will team up once again with Gary Kubiak of the Texans. Sure, Turner and Dennison were smaller pieces than Nolan but the fact that three assistants have fled from the Josh McDaniels regime throws up an immediate red flag.

What made three men that enjoyed so much success with the Broncos “Get out of Denver” in the hurried fashion that Bob Seger sang about so many years ago?

Is McDaniels really so arrogant and egocentric that he would rather lord over the Broncos’ organization than work with talented parts to create a competitive whole?

Or, was the football field greener on the other side for those men?

For Dennison and Turner, each will be reunited with the offensive system that brought them the lion’s share of success they have enjoyed in the NFL. Dennison can continue Alex Gibbs’ legacy that spawned the zone blocking scheme with Kubiak, while Turner hopes to build to the list of developed Shanahan discoveries in the running game.

But in Nolan’s case, the argument of whether or not the situation next year was better than what he had in Denver. Reportedly the Miami Dolphins offered Nolan their defensive coordinator position before he and McDaniels agreed to part ways.

Is Miami, who finished 7-9 with the 25th ranked defense a better fit than Denver? The Broncos defense improved remarkably under Nolan from 27th in ’08 to seventh overall in ’09 and his system was in place already if he stayed for the 2010 season.

Personnel wise, the teams are similar besides the defensive line, where the Dolphins have a decided advantage. But Denver is building a solid defense under McDaniels and it will continue to grow (if the Broncos keep the 3-4 scheme that they adapted to last season).

Whether McDaniels and Nolan failed to see eye-to-eye about the Broncos future, completely blew up in McNolangate or if Nolan just thought Miami to be the better fit is not known yet, but likely will be soon.

What is known is that the Broncos are without a defensive coordinator now, and they will be on their fifth different one in five years when the 2010 season kicks off.

Denver’s 2009 D-fense was highlighted with awe-inspiring performances by players with D on their mind first and D in their last name.

Elvis Dumervil set a Broncos franchise record with 17 sacks and gave Denver’s front an explosive attack it’s been lacking for years. Brian Dawkins brought energy, leadership and a swagger back to new Mile High Stadium. And both D.J. Williams and Andre Davis enjoyed strong seasons in the 3-4 together.

It’s a big if when considering whether or not they can all play that well next year and much depends on who will call plays on the defensive side for Denver in 2010?

Already rumors are flying, and one name that’s surfaced is ex-Patriot’s coordinator and former McDaniels coaching partner Dean Peas. When New England went 18-0 before losing the Super Bowl to the Giants in 2007, McDaniels called the offense, while Peas dictated the defense.

These Broncos are nowhere near that team’s talent level, but maybe McDaniels needs to surround himself with people he knows—those that understand him.

In any case, Denver will have yet another new look on defense next year and Pat Bowlen needs to take this opportunity to act as the dean of the Denver Broncos. Bowlen must look into why Nolan left. If the young McDaniels’ report card comes back with an F in communication and a note saying, “Does not play well with others,” he better be expelled as fast than Wade Phillips after his first two failed years.

Read more: http://coloradosportsdesk.com/wp/archives/2010/01/mike-nolan-leaving-denver-could-bring-defenses-downfall/#ixzz0dfQptRHM

DBroncos4life
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Clearly Rich Kurtzman hasn't spent any amount of time on 49ers message boards or talked with Justin Spiers, Billy Spiers, Blake Myers, Harry Mitchell, and Frank Velasquez from Modesto.

Cito Pelon
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Buy titanium helmets! The sky is falling!

Greatspirits
01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Whatever! We we're supposed to have a major downfall this year and win only 3 games! f-em all!!

Archer81
01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow.

Rasta finds an article that reinforces his opinion and stirs up BS a week after the event in question...

Does no one have a sense of timing anymore? ****.

:Broncos:

Popps
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I love how Rasta and DragQueen scan the wire for any team-trashing they can find and post it immediately.

They're BIG fans, though... really.

Archer81
01-25-2010, 04:42 PM
I love how Rasta and DragQueen scan the wire for any team-trashing they can find and post it immediately.

Really really?

Meck77
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Right up there with Atlas. Ha!

barryr
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Some do seem to love negative comments about the Broncos and of course, it's McDaniels they love seeing such things written. Hoping for McDaniels to fail so can say "see, told you so" is pathetic and I know I won't give them the satisfaction.

DBroncos4life
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow.

Rasta finds an article that reinforces his opinion and stirs up BS a week after the event in question...

While I doubt it is the downfall of our D, I still don't like it because it doesn't help the the continuity of the D. That said there are tons of posters that do just what Rasta did here. When is the last time you seen popps or any other poster high on McD post a article that cast the staff in a negative light?

Paladin
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Well usually they wait at least 24 hours.......

The dramallama has found a niche!

Bronx33
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I blame george w bush.

rastaman
01-25-2010, 06:25 PM

I love how you and your ilk come up with endless false hope and leads to try and justify and rationalize the polarizing behavior and incompetencies of McD while trying to propagandize the potential of McD. Keep living in denial!

McD can't and his appologist will need to face the reality sooner or later. Another 2-8 finish or a 6-10 finish in 2010, should not come as a complete surprise unless you'e Pop-Goes-A-Weasel Homer fan.

Don't worry Pops......the only way THE McD NE Broncos can hush his doubters....IS JUST WIN BABY! :wave:

rastaman
01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow.

Just know this......McD is running out of time while he pursues turning the Denver Broncos into the McD NE Broncos. He had better screw up in 2010! Winning 3-6 games in 2010 will usher in McD's doom and he'll have no one to blame but his Arrogant-Egotistical Self.

Stay Tuned Sircyennek.:clown:

oubronco
01-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Wow.

You do know that it only stirs BS up if you respond to it

rastaman
01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Whatever! We we're supposed to have a major downfall this year and win only 3 games! f-em all!!

We did have an epic melt down by going 2-8! And the team quit on McD with playoff implications by getting their ass kicked by KC, 44-24!

McD needs to find away to regain the confidence of his players who behind he scenes revolted against his coaching style.

Archer81
01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Just know this......McD is running out of time while he pursues turning the Denver Broncos into the McD NE Broncos. He had better screw up in 2010! Winning 3-6 games in 2010 will usher in McD's doom and he'll have no one to blame but his Arrogant-Egotistical Self.

Stay Tuned Sircyennek.:clown:

Patriots won 3 titles and have finished 1st in their division most of the decade...it would be SO horrible to be successful, huh?

Archer81
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
You do know that it only stirs BS up if you respond to it

After much consideration and meeting with my advisors, we have agreed to agree with you.

bombay
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
boo hoo hoo..

waaahh...

sniff..

i want my mommy..

orinjkrush
01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
first, the Pastriots are SOOOO five years ago...

second, if you wear 4 stars you shouldn't act like you're wearing butter bars

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
i am looking at it like this. McDaniels had in mind what the defense should be. he hired Nolan because he shared similar beliefs about the defense, but because of the attitudes and personalities of the 2, they clashed.

Mike was allowed to walk rather than let his baggage or problems with McDaniels screw anything up.

also i look at it like this. he laid the foundation of the defense in Baltimore and then another coach came in and took it to the next level. he laid a foundation with our defense and now someone else will get to come in and take it to the next level.

i am not worried in the least as to how this will affect the team.

ZONA
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
One thing that is really starting to become common place around here is that all the McD haters sure try their best to tell us how short of a leash McD has, as if they had any fricken clue at all what Bowlen has going through his mind in regards to what he expects from Josh and when he expects it. Say what you want to say about McD but please STFU about the short leash already. You have absolutely NO clue at all in regards to that so don't act like you do.

strafen
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM

They're BIG fans, though... really.poops, you're wrong again.
Those are facts.
It reinforces what we've been talking about. We didn't make up any crap, poops.
You should be able to see the same thing we do, but you're refusing to.
That simple.
The denver broncos are in complete shambles from the top down.
I hate what McEgo has done to my team.
I'm a broncos fan, not a McEgo fan. He's a ****head!

strafen
01-25-2010, 11:50 PM
One thing that is really starting to become common place around here is that all the McD haters sure try their best to tell us how short of a leash McD has, as if they had any fricken clue at all what Bowlen has going through his mind in regards to what he expects from Josh and when he expects it. Say what you want to say about McD but please STFU about the short leash already. You have absolutely NO clue at all in regards to that so don't act like you do.

Would the chain of recent events clue you in?

watermock
01-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Ha! McBeavis has a 3 year contract. He also makes shiat. Plus Shanahan has a new gig.

McD will be here thru 2011 unless he fall on his face even worse in '10.

azbroncfan
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Well I would think that other than the 49ers improved a lot after he was fired and ran out of town there.

watermock
01-26-2010, 12:18 AM
We've allready been thru this.

The Niners brougnt alot of talent into their D.

Oh well....

woodall
01-26-2010, 12:34 AM

Here come the Superfans checking every posters fan credentials again!

woodall
01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Patriots won 3 titles and have finished 1st in their division most of the decade...it would be SO horrible to be successful, huh?

And why is this relevant? Did the Broncos hire Bill Belichick? Did I miss something?

DivineLegion
01-26-2010, 01:04 AM
And why is this relevant? Did the Broncos hire Bill Belichick? Did I miss something?

Its completely irrelevant, look what Billicheats other disciples have done over the past decade.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Wow.

Not as bad as mocks two week late rant. Rasta is what he is and that isnt much. But he does get a lot of his political vocab from Obermann in his anger state.

Archer81
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Rasta's contention is we are becoming the Denver Patriots. There are worse things than 4 superbowl appearances and 7 AFC West championships through a 9 year period. Does this clear it up for ya, snuggles?

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Anyways, I'm supposed to be upset about the DC leaving when we gave up about 300 rushing yards to both the raiders and the Chiefs? At Home?? I care more about the players we need to get than who is coaching the D. We still need a lot more help on the DL, that takes priority over the DC.

rastaman
01-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Not as bad as mocks two week late rant. Rasta is what he is and that isnt much. But he does get a lot of his political vocab from Obermann in his anger state.

Spoken like a true Homer fan with nothing much to add.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Spoken like a true Homer fan with nothing much to add.

Talking about calling the kettle black! Arent you the one that gave us the thread about college QBs ranked to draft around December when the article you linked and cut n pasted was from August? You dont bring much to the table. As for our coach, dont think I am in lock step with him on everything. I have been vocal on some moves and did not give excuses for the crash ending of our season. Only differences is that I saw that we were spinning our wheels with Shanahan and will give McDaniels a chance to succeed. You are a Shanny widow and everything McD pisses you off.

azbroncfan
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
We've allready been thru this.

The Niners brougnt alot of talent into their D.

Oh well....

Well yes it is talent that makes coaches.

rastaman
01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Talking about calling the kettle black! Arent you the one that gave us the thread about college QBs ranked to draft around December when the article you linked and cut n pasted was from August? You dont bring much to the table. As for our coach, dont think I am in lock step with him on everything. I have been vocal on some moves and did not give excuses for the crash ending of our season. Only differences is that I saw that we were spinning our wheels with Shanahan and will give McDaniels a chance to succeed. You are a Shanny widow and everything McD pisses you off.

Meh! Way to spin your argument Homer! The only thing you bring to the table is spin and propaganda. You are McD Butt Snorkeling-Nutt Hugger b/c you can't help yourself.....its in your DNA.

McD doesn't need my indorsement to succeed.....he just needs to succeed and win.

Prove your doubters wrong McD!

~Crash~
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Well yes it is talent that makes coaches.

Not in the NFL . you got way more than that ...

rastaman
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM

And you are the resident Group Think Homer fan with a conservative lean with your veiw points. Fair enough. But understand this, you and your ilk are not the barometer nor do you dictate to other fans when to conceed whether McD will succeed or will not. You are free to give your opinion but get pissed off or upset if fans don't agree with your views and opinions.

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Not in the NFL . you got way more than that ...

Yes late in the season it comes down to personel more than coaching. That is why Denver has been perrenial late season puke jobs.