PDA

View Full Version : Victory for Elway

KevinJames
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Everyone knows Elway could of played 2 or 3 more years if he wanted to, he would of still held many records if he did, but he didn't he went out on top after winning his second Superbowl in a row, something Favre wishes he could of done Favre would have done the same s**t if he was fortunate enough to win a Superbowl at age 37 or 38.

I have a lot of respect for Favre and I think hes great and I would have maybe thought about saying he might go down as a better QB than Elway if he won another Superbowl and went out on top, but he obviously can't do that so I have a hard time even thinking about saying it and I feel bad as a Broncos fan for even thinking that way now especially since Elway beat Favre when Favre was in his prime.

Elway is the GOAT and only QB that can take that from him might be Peyton Manning but until than.

http://jewelsinthejungle.net/images/elway6125.jpg

24champ
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't think he could have played another 2-3 years as you say...he was physically beat up pretty bad.

DenverBrit
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't think he could have played another 2-3 years as you say...he was physically beat up pretty bad.

No kidding, I saw him a couple of days ago and he still has difficulty walking.

strafen
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Elway is da' man.
The best pure throwback QB ever to play the game. Best of bests!

Meck77
01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One of the best days.

Kid A
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Yep. It's awesome how things worked out and they he got to go out in the best way possible, but previous to the 96 season I've read he thought his career might be over because of a really bad injury (either an elbow or knee as I remember). We saw in that last season where Brister had to start a few games that the end was near.

As much as I got sick of the Favre love, his durability and ability to play at this level for so long is astounding. I thought he was washed up toward the end of his GB career, and then he almost took them to the Super Bowl. Thought he was washed up after burning out in the second half of last year in NY, but then he has a great year in Minnesota. I think his level of play this year has shown he was absolutely right that he had some games left in him.

Atwater His Ass
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Elway's body was shot. He said so himself in his retirement speech.

The guy was such a competitor and had a real shot at winning 3 in a row. If his body would have been able to give him the opportunity to accomplish something never before accomplished, I don't see an ultra competitive guy like Elway just walk away from that.

If he was only worried about winning a championship to validate his career and wanting to go out on top, he would have retired after the first one.

BigPlayShay
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
The football gods work in mysterious ways...

rovolution
01-24-2010, 11:13 PM

yea i agree. I remember he walked around with a limp during that 1998 season.

24champ
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM

It is sad to see...but that's what happens when you carry a franchise and City on your shoulders for almost 2 decades.

7 4ever
01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Favre had the luxury of playing half of his career in a league that over-protects QBs, Elway did not. With that being said, it still amazes me Favre's durability - dude still looks great, much better than the duke looked at the end of his career and will go out of the league in the top 5 of all time IMHO.

John Elway is and will always be number one for those of us, Broncos fans, who were fortunate enough to follow his career...I am sure that the horn heads would have killed to have the duke calling the shots on the field with the game on the line deep in the 4th quarter...damn I miss ol' #7 :(

bpc
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I think Denver could have steamed rolled the Rams in Super Bowl 34. That team wasn't tough. TD would have obliterated that defense and we would have held a distinct time of possession advantage over the Rams.

St. Louis would have scored some points on us but our defense was opportunistic enough to come away with some sacks and TO's. I imagine we would have won by 10 pts or so. 34-24 maybe.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-25-2010, 12:11 AM
If only Favre got to play quarterbacks like Grbac, Stewart and Chandler...

24champ
01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Bob is fishing hard...

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Love John, obviously, think he's a top 5 QB of all time. But i honestly think Peyton Manning deserves the top spot and, when his career is over, i'm fairly certain everyone will agree with me. In my 27 years or so of watching football, I've just never seen a QB command a game like he has. The guy simply wins football games while consistently doing incredible things, regardless of who his supporting cast is.

01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Bob is fishing hard...

It's true, though.

Brunell, Grbac and Stewart is a pretty pathetic trio of "playoff" quarterbacks for Elway to "best" on the way to his first championship. Granted he did well in besting Favre.

How about playing in an AFC Championship game against Vinny freakin' Testaverde before drawing Glass Chandler in the Super Bowl?

robbieopperude
01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
There should almost be an asterisk next the QB stats now days because of the way they protect the QB. Favre has played in both era's but Manning, Brady, etc... are barely aloud to be touched. Those guys are going to play into their 40's if they choose to and will rewrite the record books. Pass Interferences are called more frequently now too resulting in more scoring opportunities and extended drives. It has to be almost annoying to be a DB in today's NFL. Elway will be a TOP 5 QB for a long time but he already has Montana, Marino, Favre to deal with and Brady and Manning are going to blow him away statistically. It use to mean something for a QB to reach 3000 plus yards with over 25 some TD passes. Now 3000 yards is a down season and there QB's always over the 30's in TD passes. Over a 15 year career that is really going to affect comparing statistics.

broncocalijohn
01-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Elway maybe had one tough year ahead of him. He had the line to protect him at least. To say he had more than that doesnt know what he went through. Sure he could have gutted out one more year but he won two in a row and he went out on top. I have no problems with it but there is always that "what if" factor. Hey, 2 superbowl wins, I dont need to be greedy.

KCStud
01-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Doesn't matter. I've watched most of Favre and Elways careers and I honestly think Manning will not only end up being better than them but he just might go down as the best in NFL history, especially if he gets his second ring. The guy is everything you would want in a QB.

24champ
01-25-2010, 02:34 AM
It's true, though.

Brunell, Grbac and Stewart is a pretty pathetic trio of "playoff" quarterbacks for Elway to "best" on the way to his first championship. Granted he did well in besting Favre.

How about playing in an AFC Championship game against Vinny freakin' Testaverde before drawing Glass Chandler in the Super Bowl?

Keep fishing...

It's not the Broncos fault for dominating the NFL and the fact other teams couldn't match up against the Broncos.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi9T08Rl3oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi9T08Rl3oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yavoon
01-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Favre had the luxury of playing half of his career in a league that over-protects QBs, Elway did not. With that being said, it still amazes me Favre's durability - dude still looks great, much better than the duke looked at the end of his career and will go out of the league in the top 5 of all time IMHO.

John Elway is and will always be number one for those of us, Broncos fans, who were fortunate enough to follow his career...I am sure that the horn heads would have killed to have the duke calling the shots on the field with the game on the line deep in the 4th quarter...damn I miss ol' #7 :(

elway wouldn't have been overly protected, you only get protection if you act like a qb. if you start doing rb things, the protection diminishes significantly.

extralife
01-25-2010, 02:44 AM
it is true, though, that the number of good to great quarterbacks these days is much higher than perhaps at any other point in history, much less the late 90's.

Bronco Rob
01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
I respect Manning & Favre but they are not Elway. I highly doubt that they could have carried those first three teams to the Superbowl the way that John did.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHgoUsgfic4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHgoUsgfic4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

John Madden "This is the closest thing to a One Man Show (Elway) that I've ever seen in the NFL"

Any doubts watch 4:53 - 5:20 on that hightlight clip....

8')

WolfpackGuy
01-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Elway didn't really get to turn it loose outside of 1987 and 1993-98.

There's no telling how many more games and championships he would've won.

Not to mention the stats.

orangeatheist
01-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Man, watching those videos of the Superbowls and John's retirement speech...hell, I'm all choked up. I miss that ol' workhorse...I REALLY do.

azbroncfan
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
It's true, though.

You can only play who they schedule you to play. I never knew that the opposing QB could pick who he played against. You are fishing and missing. I guess using this argument we have to break down Montana's pathetic competition, and Brady's, etc.

cutthemdown
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Elway teared up saying his body couldn't do it anymore. Talked about knees just being shot.

He was done. If anything he went 2-3 yrs too long because he wanted those rings so bad. Really the best story in NFL history if you ask me. No QB ever got trounced like Elway did 3 times in the big game before winning 2 in a row.

snowspot66
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Elway teared up saying his body couldn't do it anymore. Talked about knees just being shot.

He was done. If anything he went 2-3 yrs too long because he wanted those rings so bad. Really the best story in NFL history if you ask me. No QB ever got trounced like Elway did 3 times in the big game before winning 2 in a row.

It reminds me of that movie The Wrestler but not depressing.

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2010, 09:41 AM

At the end of his career....undefeated int he Super Bowl his last two seasons.

cousinal11
01-25-2010, 09:47 AM
:Elway::lombardi::bronxrox:

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
You know what I really love about this picture........
He's standing in QUALCOMM Stadium

cabronco
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
]Favre had the luxury of playing half of his career in a league that over-protects QBs, Elway did not.[/B] With that being said, it still amazes me Favre's durability - dude still looks great, much better than the duke looked at the end of his career and will go out of the league in the top 5 of all time IMHO.

Just think what numbers & advantage Elway would of had in this era of protecting the Qb's, and the receivers. Elway was the best, not only passing but running with the ball too. You dont see Manning or Brady scrambling for first downs very often, they have their bubble of protection, plus they couldnt physically do it anyways. Nowadays they feel pressure & go down untouched ala Manning in yesterdays game. The perfected Jim Everette move.
:rofl:

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM

i agree.

there was true significant thought put into retiring after he won super bowl 32, but Shanahan said he was coming back and basically his hands were tied and he had no option but to return. in 97 he missed something like 4 games and parts of i think 2 others and i am not sure how many he missed in 98. he was at the end, he didn't have any more time left in the NFL after those super bowl wins.

yavoon
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Just think what numbers & advantage Elway would of had in this era of protecting the Qb's, and the receivers. Elway was the best, not only passing but running with the ball too. You dont see Manning or Brady scrambling for first downs very often, they have their bubble of protection, plus they couldnt physically do it anyways. Nowadays they feel pressure & go down untouched ala Manning in yesterdays game. The perfected Jim Everette move.
:rofl:

you don't get the protection if you act like a rb.

Rocket 7
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
You know what I really love about this picture........
He's standing in QUALCOMM Stadium

12 years ago from today. Nice pic!

HAT
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a lot of respect for Favre and I think hes great and I would have maybe thought about saying he might go down as a better QB than Elway if he won another Superbowl and went out on top, but he obviously can't do that so I have a hard time even thinking about saying it and I feel bad as a Broncos fan for even thinking that way now especially since Elway beat Favre when Favre was in his prime.

You won't find a bigger Elway fan than me but I have no problem saying that Favre is/was every bit the QB that Elway was.

I understand the Favre hate due to the off-season dramatics & the Madden love, etc....But that doesn't take away what he has accomplished on the field.

Blart
01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
You won't find a bigger Elway fan than me but I have no problem saying that Favre is/was every bit the QB that Elway was.

Nobody ran right and threw left better than Elway, it's pure arm strength. Elway doesn't throw that pick against the Saints. Especially with under 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Atwater His Ass
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Nobody ran right and threw left better than Elway, it's pure arm strength. Elway doesn't throw that pick against the Saints. Especially with under 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

really? you're now going to start making statements that in no way are relevant, nor factual in an attempt to tear Farve down?

it's ok to like nfl players that aren't denver bronocs you know.

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
really? you're now going to start making statements that in no way are relevant, nor factual in an attempt to tear Farve down?

i like Favre, always have. but i am in agreement with that statement by Blart. Elway doesn't throw an INT with under 2 minutes in a do or die situation. that was never Elway's game. if it was on the line and in the final minutes, he was going to march downfield and at the very least have his team in field goal range. the clock either expires or he has them in position to win. he doesn't throw the pick.

BroncoMan4ever
01-25-2010, 04:08 PM
It's true, though.

yeah, too bad Elway couldn't play against the incredible talents that Favre did in 96 when he won his super bowl

Beurlein, injured Young/backup Grbac, en route to Bledsoe

or 97 when he played such elite talent as

Dilfer, and Steve Young who played without Jerry Rice and the teams elite back Garrison Heart had a broken collar bone and wasn't able to be of any use to them in the playoffs.

01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
You can only play who they schedule you to play. I never knew that the opposing QB could pick who he played against. You are fishing and missing. I guess using this argument we have to break down Montana's pathetic competition, and Brady's, etc.

Montana's pathetic competition?

Granted his '81 playoff season was nothing special.

84 - Simms, Marino
88 - Everett, Esiason
89 - ELWAY

Lets not even get into Brady and how many times he's faced Manning.

01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
yeah, too bad Elway couldn't play against the incredible talents that Favre did in 96 when he won his super bowl

Beurlein, injured Young/backup Grbac, en route to Bledsoe

or 97 when he played such elite talent as

Dilfer, and Steve Young who played without Jerry Rice and the teams elite back Garrison Heart had a broken collar bone and wasn't able to be of any use to them in the playoffs.

Move those goalposts on Steve Young. And Bledsoe is nothing to sniff at.

Circle Orange
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I respect Manning & Favre but they are not Elway. I highly doubt that they could have carried those first three teams to the Superbowl the way that John did.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHgoUsgfic4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHgoUsgfic4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

John Madden "This is the closest thing to a One Man Show (Elway) that I've ever seen in the NFL"

8')

TRUTH!

The Favre sycophants keep trying to make parallels with his career and Elway's late. They aren't the same guy, and Elway didn't carpetbag onto teams in hopes of scripting a perfect ending. But I'll give Favre credit, he's trying to ape the best. And we're spared, people...can you imagine the suckfest of Favre/Manning worship for two weeks?

And on this 'best ever' tag people are now sticking on Manning...excuse me, why? What's he doing we've never seen before? Control an offense? Gee, ten years, no turnover, same system, protection. He should look like this! These 'greatest of all time' are getting to be a dime a dozen, every two years someone else is the greatest whatever.

On throwing across his body, making that final pick? Oh yeah, Madden said about John "He's always been the best at that."

So Brett, stop roleplaying your hero.

I talked to some friends the other day and we speculated on what the class of '83 could have done in the current NFL, with these rules. Are you kidding me?! they'd hold the freakin' league hostage. The only reason Favre gets the hype is that he's the romanticized 'bridge' between this group and the previous one. But he needs to give it up, it ain't gonna happen. Someone upstairs made one perfect qb, and you ain't it, bub. Buy your hick family houses, then go ride a tractor. ;D

Elway> Favre, no matter how you slice it.

gunns
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM

My, my but one is testy about Favre...what the hell? I like other NFL players, but how is that relevant? I'd say there is more fact and relevance to Blart's statement than a lot that come out and overhype Favre.

Great memories about 12 years ago today. Some of my greatest memories. Seeing one of the greats finally win his. Seeing one of the great franchises win theirs. Seeing the fans finally get theirs.

rastaman
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Thats what enduring over 560 sacks will do to the body. Also, Elway didn't have the luxury to play the majority of his career with rules changes that allow QB's not to take vicious hits and tackles.

Had Elway only suffered 230 sacks in his 16 years, he could have played another 4 years after the 98 season. Had that happened Denver could have won 2 more SB's, and perhaps TD and Eddi Mac don't suffer career ending injuries and TD would be in the HOF by now.

TDmvp
01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thats what enduring over 560 sacks will do to the body. Also, Elway didn't have the luxury to play the majority of his career with rules changes that allow QB's not to take vicious hits and tackles.

Had Elway only suffered 230 sacks in his 16 years, he could have played another 4 years after the 98 season. Had that happened Denver could have won 2 more SB's, and perhaps TD and Eddi Mac don't suffer career ending injuries and TD would be in the HOF by now.

great take rasta ... as much as we disagree in the political forum you hit that right on the head.

rule changes make it impossible to compare guys like Manning to Elway really and had John been healthy that team could have won another making John the only QB EVER TO WIN SUPER BOWLS IN 2 DIFFERENT CENTURIES ...

DenverBrit
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Wow, Rasta, I agree with your post, except I don't think Eddi Mac would have made it.

Boogerboots
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I had PVR'd a couple of episodes of America's game... OK NFL POLICE THEY'RE ALLREADY DELETED!

Watching the end of the 98's champs show, it nearly killed me to see the replay of TD getting his legs wrecked after trying to tackle a guy who just intercepted Brian Griese.

Considering that the Tennessee Titans were the reps for the AFC that year, had Elway reconsidered and came back for one more year...could the Broncos have beaten the Rams that year if they made it back to the Super Bowl for third time in a row?

You still had Smith, McCaffrey, Sharpe, Davis the core of the offense. I'd say they would have made it back at least to the Super Bowl game with Elway.

cabronco
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
you don't get the protection if you act like a rb.

But he was not a rb, he was a Qb. Rules apply to Qb's when they stand back in the pocket to throw. It doesnt matter if he may run w/ the ball or not.

Now if he takes off running, they can tackle him like he's a running back until he would go into a feet first slide.

spdirty
01-25-2010, 08:16 PM

8')

Damn, tears still well up when I see John gettin carried off and raising that Lombardi trophy for the first time. Excellent video.

Bronco Yoda
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM

That is why Elway is who he is and Favre is who he is. I respect Brett's career and toughness... but he's no Elway.:approve:

Circle Orange
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
On the knee thing, John mentioned it was the one with the missing cruciate ligament he lost in high school and played his entire career without. Said the thing just degenerated to the point where he couldn't make the kind of evasive moves he wanted to.

I often wondered why he didn't get the procedure Randall Cunningham did and get a cadaver ligament reattached. Might have made a difference if he could've come back for a threepeat attempt.

And watch Manning drop like a shot in the Bowl if the Saints blitz. Can't touch!! :rofl:

gunns
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Bob is fishing hard...

Bob is jealous, damn jealous

gunns
01-25-2010, 09:25 PM
i agree.

there was true significant thought put into retiring after he won super bowl 32, but Shanahan said he was coming back and basically his hands were tied and he had no option but to return. in 97 he missed something like 4 games and parts of i think 2 others and i am not sure how many he missed in 98. he was at the end, he didn't have any more time left in the NFL after those super bowl wins.

He started every game in 97, missed 3 in 98 and part of another game. He said he hated Monday mornings when he'd wake up and feel like a mack truck hit him. It would take him till Wednesday to feel like he could even move. While I think he still had it in him for one more year, I was probably greedy and I just thank the man for the years of sheer joy he provided. Most sacked QB in the league, he probably couldn't do it. He was the best and no one will ever convince me otherwise. I haven't seen a team who could credit one player with winning the game, except the Broncos and John Elway. Definitely not Favre, maybe Manning but he operates with one of the best OL's. Elway finally got a SB win with a dominate OL. He took his team to 3 SB's without much of anything.

ZONA
01-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Watching that highlight clip of the Superbowl just shows you how SMART Elway was in addition to his great physical abilities. Shanny puts in a specific play just for the Packers and Elway during the week of practice doesn't like it that much. Shanny says they for sure will be playing a specific defense against that play and John says, what if they don't. Shanny was it's 100% sure they will, they've played that same defense against that type of set up all year long. So John gets the call in the huddle for that play, they line up and sure as **** the defense is not in the package that Shanny expected and John said he knew before the ball was snapped he was going to have to find a hole in the line to run through, and that's what he did, which become one of the most famous runs in the Superbowl, where John dives for it and gets hit and does a sideways 360.

I mean, you gotta love that. The man knew before the ball was even snapped he was going to have to find a lane to run in because the coverage was going to be tight. Just goes to show that you have to be smart to be a great QB. I think John was alot smarter then most people thought.

01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
maybe Manning but he operates with one of the best OL's.

Is this a joke? Manning has played with three or four different left tackles in his career....Manning makes that offensive line.

mhgaffney
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM

Elway would have run the ball for a first down.

24champ
01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Bob is jealous, damn jealous

No playoff wins since 93', and the one time they looked like they were going somewhere...was in 1997. 13-3 record, a bye in the playoffs...and here comes Elway and the Broncos in their house and beat them. It's understandable why Chef fans come here fishing or looking for validation of their football team. He pimps QBs like Croyle, Huard, Thigpen....basically any Chefs QB taking snaps at the moment.:spit:

watermock
01-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Elway would have run the ball for a first down.

For 13 yards?

01-26-2010, 12:55 AM
He pimps QBs like Croyle, Huard, Thigpen....basically any Chefs QB taking snaps at the moment.:spit:

I never pimped any of those guys. You're a ****ing moron.

DivineLegion
01-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Whats better is Favres legacy ended two days prior to the 12th aniversery of John Elways victory over the very man himself. Ahhhh Irony.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM

No but you sure pimp other teams greats against our greats.

24champ
01-26-2010, 01:26 AM

:giggle:

Croyle is a Supastah! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=69549&highlight=Huard)

In 10 years no one will think of John Elway as #7. They will think of Matt Cassel as #7. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=78935&highlight=Cassell)

The destroyer of worlds is coming to Denver in a month. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=73811&highlight=Thigpen)

Bronco Rob
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
:thumbsup:

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Your just like Florida, we should call you Florida Chief because your a homer for whoever is undercenter and whatever KC is doing is good and there is absolutely no way it is a bad thing.