PDA

View Full Version : NFL Overtime Rules Should Change

Pony Boy
01-24-2010, 08:59 PM
All to often, thrilling and close football contests comes down to the toss of the coin. Slightly more than half of NFL overtime contests favor the team who wins the toss.

Alternative Overtime Proposals
Proposals include:

1. Adopting the NCAA rules which gives each opponent a chance at the ball at the 40 yard line, with the team scoring the most winning.
2. Play a full 15 minute quarter, removing the sudden death nature of OT. Allowing each team the opportunity to touch the ball at least once during the OT.
3. A better test of the teams may have been to give them a normal time out, similar to what they have between the third and fourth periods, then resume the game wherever it had stopped at the end of regulation." The first team to score six points wins.

I think a combination of strategies may work best. The most competitive option is to award the win to the first team that scores at least six points. This would reduce the number of wins based on a lucky field goal. While the coach may still go for that option, it will be with the mind that they need three more points after the other team gets their chance. Combine this with the option of simply taking a normal time out and resuming play seem to be the best option to increase competitive play. In the fourth quarter, there is more incentive to at least have good field position, the down and distances remain the same when the fifth quarter starts.
The six-point requirement would provide incentive to go for it rather than try for a timid field goal attempt, unless absolutely necessary. The NFL should commit to improvements in OT to ensure fair game outcomes that are not subject to the flip of a coin. The major hurdle is the league itself refusing to adopt new rules. Their primary concern seems to be with television time for extended games.

scttgrd
01-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Play some defense, gotta be good on both sides of the ball. They all get paid, don't make an excuse for them.

bombquixote
01-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Nope. They showed the stat right before overtime kicked off. Teams who won the coin toss won 7 of 13 overtime games this year. That's about as close to even as it gets. Next topic.

Archer81
01-24-2010, 09:11 PM
OT should stay the way it is. If a team is supposed to win, they will.

:Broncos:

azbroncfan
01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope. They showed the stat right before overtime kicked off. Teams who won the coin toss won 7 of 13 overtime games this year. That's about as close to even as it gets. Next topic.

Yeah but over the whole course of the sudden death the coin toss winner has won 62 percent of the time. Last year it was 11-4-1. It is a huge advantage.

Atwater His Ass
01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
OT should be changed to where each team gets a possession. If Team A gets first possession and scores, Team B gets a chance to match or beat it. For example, if Team A gets a FG and Team B drives for a touchdown, Team B wins. If Team A throws a pick six, Team B wins.

If both teams match scores (or neither score) on their first possession, it then goes to sudden death, next team to score wins.

Pony Boy
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah but over the whole course of the sudden death the coin toss winner has won 62 percent of the time. Last year it was 11-4-1. It is a huge advantage.

Where it really sucks is when it's your team and you don't even get to touch the ball, it just shouldn't come down to a coin toss....

PaintballCLE
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
obviously nothing is perfect, but I think they should just extend the game until someone scores. (no new coin toss, just keep going till someone scores) seems the fairest way to me.

PaintballCLE
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Where it really sucks is when it's your team and you don't even get to touch the ball, it just shouldn't come down to a coin toss....

I love it when people use this argument (and its legit) but on the other hand, if its almost as "automatic" as you say it is to win if you get the coin toss, because teams can score easily, then why can't they score in regulation to win it.

If the game is a total shoot out and its 55-55 i buy your arguement........but if its 10-10 then thats your own damn fault for not scoring more in the game.

bombquixote

Fair enough. But I hate the knee-jerk notion that pro overtime should look like college overtime. It's a completely different game, each team starting on the opponents' 20. If you make a rule saying both teams must possess the ball, then they you need to play an entire overtime quarter. Or at least have each team start on its own 20.

But I like it the way it is. I love the tension of sudden death. And if you've played an even game for 60 minutes, a coin toss may as well play into it. 62% is not that bad.

ohiobronco2
I think it should be first to six points.

tsiguy96
01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
now that favre lost an important game in OT, they will look into it for sure!

i have mixed feelings. either leave it how it is, or make it so each team is gauranteed one possession of the football.

Pony Boy
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I think it should be first to six points.

That's the option I like, then if a teams kicks a field goal they know the other team can win with a touchdown...

uplink
bring the two captains to the center of the field and see who can let the most audible fart. It would give the home field an advantage since the fans could cheer during the away teams turn.

gunns
Fair enough. But I hate the knee-jerk notion that pro overtime should look like college overtime. It's a completely different game, each team starting on the opponents' 20. If you make a rule saying both teams must possess the ball, then they you need to play an entire overtime quarter. Or at least have each team start on its own 20.

But I like it the way it is. I love the tension of sudden death. And if you've played an even game for 60 minutes, a coin toss may as well play into it. 62% is not that bad.

I like the tension also. Stop the team. Simple as that. If you don't, it's not the rules, it's the team.

Archer81
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2004-08-29-10-changes-nfl-ot_x.htm

Overtime rule unique to NFL
By Skip Wood, USA TODAY
The moniker is as uniquely NFL as it is politically incorrect: Sudden-death overtime. For many fans, though, as well as a handful of decision-makers in the NFL — including, a couple of years ago, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue — it's a bit too sudden.
<TABLE class=sidebar border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2>http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2004-08-29-inside-akers-ot.jpg</TD><TD rowSpan=2>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD><TD class=sidebar vAlign=top width=75>The Eagles' David Akers follows through on his field goal in overtime that booted the Packers out of last season's playoffs. </TD><TD rowSpan=2>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>By Eileen Blass, USA TODAY</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That's because, of course, both teams don't necessarily get a chance to score. Correctly call the coin flip, take the ball first and score, game over.
And for yet another season, there is no sudden life for any chance of even tweaking a methodology that began in 1941 for the playoffs, was expanded in 1974 to include regular-season affairs and, during that span, produced a drumroll-worthy NFL classic for the ages, "The Greatest Game Ever Played."
Sure, if the New York Giants hadn't gone three-and-out on their first possession, the Baltimore Colts might never have received their turn to drive 80 yards behind Johnny Unitas and win on a run from the 1 by Alan Ameche.
As it is, however, fewer than half the teams that win the toss win on the first possession — about 40% historically and closer to 30% last season. And 20 of last season's 26 overtime games saw both teams have at least one possession, compared with 16 of 25 in 2002...

:Broncos:

Xenos
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Actually the easiest method would be to just let two of the captains fight over the ball like the old XFL used to do. Strange that something good could actually come out of that league.

Jason in LA
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
There is no need for a change, espeically to the college system, which takes out special teams, and it would be stupid to play an entire extra quarter. No way that would, or should, ever happen.

The team that wins the coin toss is slightly above 50%, so what are we arguing about? And out of those teams less than half of them win it on the opening drive. So more times than not both teams get the ball in overtime.

In other words, it's not a big enough problem to make a major change.

As for playing an entire 5th quarter, that's just a horrible idea. I don't have the stats, but I've heard that teams who play in an overtime game usually struggle the following week. And the deeper they go into an overtime period, the more worn out they'll be for the next week. Four quarters is already brutal enough. The body really doesn't handle a 5th quarter very well.

The NFL overtime system is designed to end the game as quick as possible. That's pretty much it.

Jason in LA
01-24-2010, 09:54 PM

We'd need to know how many of those were won on the opening drive by the team that won the coin toss.

BigPlayShay
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
The thing is, from a field position standpoint, the kicking team has the advantage if your defense does what it is suppose to do.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I hate the college system. Starting from your 25 isn't football. Its like watching penalty kicks to decide games.

Play2win
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
They should also allow 1 coaches challenge a game (for each team), to challenge Flags/Calls on the field.

Sure, there are some calls that are judgement calls, and you got to win some and loose some, but with the amount of yards that can be made on a pass interference call, at critical moment, these calls can absolutely RUIN an otherwise great game.

It seems there were more than their fair share of games this year, that were decided on one pretty questionable call at critical moment in the game. I know the Broncos had a few.

bronco militia
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I guess the Vikings Defense should have stopped the Saints in OT and Brett Favre shouldn't have thrown the interception at the end of regulation

Jason in LA
01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I hate the college system. Starting from your 25 isn't football. Its like watching penalty kicks to decide games.

That's exactly how I see it. Why play one style of football for four quarters, and then a different style of football to determine the winner? It should be the same game. The college system sucks.

Jason in LA
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I guess the Vikings Defense should have stopped the Saints in OT and Brett Favre shouldn't have thrown the interception at the end of regulation

I blame horrible play calling on that final drive more than Favre's pick. The Viks shouldn't have been in a third and long. Why did they run the ball on the first two downs like they were already in FG range? I couldn't believe what I was watching. They wasted two plays when there wasn't much time on the clock. A couple safe passes and they're inside the 30 yard line and they can kick the winning FG.

yavoon
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
"Slightly more than half of NFL overtime contests favor the team who wins the toss."

wth does that sentence mean?

also college rules will never be implemented, too hokey. first to 6 points, or each team gets 1 posession are both much more likely.

TDmvp
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I really hate change overtime guy ...

Gort
01-25-2010, 03:06 AM
how about penalty kicks, like soccer. each team's kicker gets 5 kicks against the defense. line them up at the PAT spot, then the 10, then the 20, then the 30, and finally the 40. team which makes the most kicks wins. OT usually comes down to the kicker anyway. :P

chadta
01-25-2010, 04:22 AM
i think somethings being forgotten, the visiting team is the one who calls the coin toss, now sure there is luck to it but by calling the toss they have an advantage.

if the coin toss is really that automatic, why not just end the game on a coin toss and save the drama of actually playing the game.

why not go the way of hockey and have a skills competition to decide the winner, have each kicker start at the 40, and move back 2 yards every kick until somebody misses.

whats the sarcasm code again

WolfpackGuy
01-25-2010, 04:43 AM
I blame horrible play calling on that final drive more than Favre's pick. The Viks shouldn't have been in a third and long. Why did they run the ball on the first two downs like they were already in FG range? I couldn't believe what I was watching. They wasted two plays when there wasn't much time on the clock. A couple safe passes and they're inside the 30 yard line and they can kick the winning FG.

Yeah, Aikman was saying a 51 yarder was a "chip shot" field goal.

LOL

What lost this game for the Vikings was 5 turnovers on the road.

broncofan
01-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Slightly more than half of NFL overtime contests favor the team who wins the toss.

And this is why it won't be changed. To me, that implies about 50/50. I'm actually surprised that the ratio is that close. I wouldn't expect them to consider it until that becomes a lot more lopsided.

Were you rooting for the Vikings or something?

oubronco
01-25-2010, 05:38 AM
this year the team with the ball first were 7-6 in overtime games, so I don't think it's that decisive to get the ball first, but it don't hurt either

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Pro football sudden death is fine the way it is. College football OT is an abomination.

jhat01
01-25-2010, 06:08 AM
What bothered me about the game was that PI call on Leber in OT...I know he wasn't looking back at the ball, but it looked incidental to me. Bad call IMO.

cousinal11
01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't care what the percentages are, when the team that wins the coin flip drives down the field and scores on their first possesion, it just doesn't seem right.

I like the idea of giving the other team the ball and an oppurtunity to match the other team's score, then going sudden death. At least in the postseason.

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 07:24 AM
And this is why it won't be changed. To me, that implies about 50/50. I'm actually surprised that the ratio is that close. I wouldn't expect them to consider it until that becomes a lot more lopsided.

Were you rooting for the Vikings or something?

No, I wasn't really rooting for either team but just enjoyed a great football game, and I just don like the NFL Rule in overtime..... nothing more than that...I really don't understand why people try to read something else into a post or thread that isn't there. If a game ends in a tie then the game should be decided on the field of play with both teams getting a even shot at the win.

spdirty
01-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Id like it to be after both teams get the ball (or the first team to get it punts) then we go to sudden death.

bowtown
01-25-2010, 07:40 AM
i really hate change overtime guy ...

+1

azbroncfan
01-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Although if the team that kicks off forces a 3 and out they usually win because they will get pretty good field position.

Paladin
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I thought the Saint's D was actually pretty good against the Vike's O, and the Vike's D had it's sterling moments..... The offensive miscues of the Vikes throughout the game killed them. The Leber call may have been a close one, but that's the NFL.

Nah, Peterson had a good game rushing, but he also dropped the ball too much. Harvin's fumble was just a killer. Favre's toss at the end of the fourth was atrocious.

All in all, both teams had a chance to win the game, That's all anyone can hope for.

OT? It's okay. Sometimes you win the toss, sometimes you don't.

Pick Six
01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
I had a bad feeling it was over when the Vikings' special teams let the Saints start out at the 40...:rofl:

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2010, 08:42 AM
i had a bad feeling it was over when the vikings' special teams let the saints start out at the 40...:rofl:

lol

UberBroncoMan
01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I actually like that 6 points idea.

BigPlayShay
01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Aaron Rodgers is all for each team getting a possession :wiggle:

bowtown
01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I had a bad feeling it was over when the Vikings' special teams let the Saints start out at the 40...:rofl:

Pretty sure that was caused by a coin flip.

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I guess we could settle it with guns or knives,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWTNBRs7Ccs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWTNBRs7Ccs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cousinal11
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
The only negative to changing OT is that every reasonable option lengthens the game. As far the regular season, I buy that.

But, the postseason OT rule should be changed.

The argument I've heard from the talking heads today is that Minnesota had 14 possessions and "plenty of opportunities" to win the game in regulation. Well, so did New Orleans and they didn't either, but they got one chance in OT, while Minnesota got none.

bendog
01-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I think "the argument" has been that the team that gets the ball first only wins about half the games. It's not a shootout.

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I think "the argument" has been that the team that gets the ball first only wins about half the games. It's not a shootout.

Ok, if there no advantage, then why not just have the home team kick off (no coin flip)......because you know and I know there would of been a riot in the super dome.....

HAT
01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
obviously nothing is perfect, but I think they should just extend the game until someone scores. (no new coin toss, just keep going till someone scores) seems the fairest way to me.

Hell to the no.

I could go either way with the current system or first team to 6 but why change the way regulation is played?

Your suggestion completely alters the way the 4th Q is played....Timeouts, clock management, 2 minute drill, field position, etc.

Hogan11
01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Pro football sudden death is fine the way it is. College football OT is an abomination.

100% correct

TailgateNut
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM

I think I saw the odds scrolled across the screen yesterday at 7/6.
So roughly 50-50, just like the coing flip. I don't see the big deal.

cousinal11
01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I think I saw the odds scrolled across the screen yesterday at 7/6.
So roughly 50-50, just like the coing flip. I don't see the big deal.

The only time it is a big deal is a game like yesterday: Ticket to the Super Bowl on the line...team that wins toss, gets ball, scores, game over.

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Hell to the no.

I could go either way with the current system or first team to 6 but why change the way regulation is played?

Your suggestion completely alters the way the 4th Q is played....Timeouts, clock management, 2 minute drill, field position, etc.

Ecellent point, you can't change the way the game is played at the 2 minute warning..... but I don't like the win by 6 points idea.

houghtam
01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
As it is, however, fewer than half the teams that win the toss win on the first possession about 40% historically and closer to 30% last season.

This.

The argument that the team that gets the ball first has the advantage only holds true if that team scores on its first possession, which rarely (30-40%) happens.

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
The only time it is a big deal is a game like yesterday: Ticket to the Super Bowl on the line...team that wins toss, gets ball, scores, game over.

When the Saints won the coin, everyone in the room said "game over"
on the other hand had the Vikings won the coin toss everyone in the room would of said "game over"......
I just didn't like seeing a great game end like that.......

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
The problem is that winning the coin toss has become too much of an advantage in the sudden-death session. According to the league's competition committee, the team that won the coin toss has won more than 60 percent of overtime games in recent seasons.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2007/03/overtime_issue_unresolved.html

Play2win
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Hell, just take away overtimes all together during the regular season. A tie is a tie.

During the post season you play out the full over time periods. The final two minutes would be just like the end of a game, the way football should be. Where time is an issue, and all the drama that goes along with it.

This would give the best team on that given day the win. During the regular season, when neither are good enough to win, they both walk away with a tie, and a rotten feeling in their gut. So that, the next week they will play with the immediacy, determination, and fire to get the job done.

Overtime is broken in the NFL, especially with the pass-happy rules they now play with, many times the best team on that given day (the whole day) walks away with a loss. The NFL overtime rules need to be changed, the sooner the better, and just maybe, a DRASTIC change is just what the doctor ordered.

cousinal11
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
on the other hand had the Vikings won the coin toss everyone in the room would of said "game over"......

Me either. Not with so much on the line.

Week 7, eh...no big deal. I understand with risk of injury, quality of play, etc.

But, postseason...it just didn't feel right.

BigPlayShay
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

The game was over after the Vikes turned it over for a 5th time. Those are the statistics you should look at. Probability of winning a game when the team has turned the ball over 5 times.

Play2win
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
The problem is that winning the coin toss has become too much of an advantage in the sudden-death session. According to the league's competition committee, the team that won the coin toss has won more than 60 percent of overtime games in recent seasons.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2007/03/overtime_issue_unresolved.html

This is so much more the case in today's NFL, with all the peyton manning appointed league rules.

Play2win
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM

This game had all the makings for a truly epic game, a game for the ages, and for it to end in such an anticlimactic way, was such a complete letdown. Now the game is, sadly, very forgettable.

TailgateNut
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
The game was over after the Vikes turned it over for a 5th time. Those are the statistics you should look at. Probability of winning a game when the team has turned the ball over 5 times.

^This

They didn't deserve to win the game and it was a perfect ending to the season for Mr. "I might retire again/ err: Interception"Hilarious!

TailgateNut
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

How is a 10% advantage "too much" for screwing the pooch during the alloted 4 qtrs.

boltaneer
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I actually like that 6 points idea.

I don't mind the current overtime rules but if they were to change it, I like the 6 point idea as well.

Rohirrim
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I like it the way it is. Put more pressure on the three squads (not to mention the coaches) to execute. Sudden death compresses everything. It forces already tired players to dig for that extra commitment.

Play2win
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
The last 2 minutes of a game (or even a half) is so much better (100x) than having to sit through an overtime session, especially over the last few years. More times than not, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

Overtime almost doesn't seem like real football, it seems like amateur hour.

The 2 minute drill is about as good as football gets.

Man-Goblin
01-25-2010, 11:35 AM
The current system works, but I do think each team should get a chance to touch the ball.

That, or go to a system where the 3rd OTs for each team have to race each other from goal line to goal line. Winner takes the spoils for their team.

2KBack
01-25-2010, 11:41 AM

they were saying on the radio this morning that even though the team that wins the toss, wins the game 60% of the time. It only happens on the first drive 28% of the time. That means that 72% of the time, both teams get the ball at least once.

The Joker
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
College overtime sucks.

I think that outlawing Field Goals until the last 5 minutes of OT could be interesting. That way the team who gets the ball first probably has to score a TD to win it. It does seem a bit cheap when it ends on a FG on the first possession.

Pick Six
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Pretty sure that was caused by a coin flip.

Saints won the coin flip, but the Vikings defense had some say as to how far the Saints go down the field to get to scoring position. The runback to the 40 was easily one of the most important plays in the game...

bronco militia
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
100% correct

200% correct

PaintballCLE
01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't mind the current overtime rules but if they were to change it, I like the 6 point idea as well.

the problem with the 6 point idea is that it works great for games that are tied 45-45. But what about the games that are tied 3-3 after 4 quarters. It might take them 120 more minutes of gametime to score 6 points lol

Pony Boy
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
How is a 10% advantage "too much" for screwing the pooch during the alloted 4 qtrs.

At the end of the game the score was tied, it doesn't matter how much pooch screwing was going on during the game, the score was tied...Using your logic, maybe the refs should deceide who screwd the pooch less and crown them the winnner...... If the score is tied then both teams should have a 50/50 chance of winning the game on the field not with a coin toss...

Northman
01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I think the Overtime is fine. Just think, if you actually dont turn the ball over 4 times in the redzone you might just win. lol