PDA

View Full Version : Puppy advice thread

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Okay dog lovers. Here's your time to shine.

My wife and I have a 5 month old puppy and we got her at 8 weeks.

She's almost potty trained, but she still does have the occasional accident. We've hung a bell on the back door knob and she's pretty good at ringing it when she has to out. Additional Potty training tips are much appreciated.

Also, she's teething right now and there's quite a bit of biting going on. Most of it is toward me. She just lost her first two teeth this week, but she's relentless when she comes after me. It's nothing vicious, and I know she's just playing, but I'm hoping it will eventually go away? I don't want her to get older and think it's okay to put her mouth on humans. It seems sometimes that no toys or chews that I offer her is better to her than my hand or arm.

She's crate trained, generally likes it in there, but because both my wife and myself work she has to spend about 4 hours in there a day. She gets plenty of excercise as we walk her at least 4 miles a day.

Any potty, biting/mouthing or general raising a great dog tips for me?

UberBroncoMan
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
They're great with BBQ sauce.

However if eating your puppy isn't your thing.

For potty training it's just a matter of repetition. If the dog goes in the house, you take the dog outside afterward. You need to pay attention to bowl movement patterns and anticipate when the dog will go and take the dog out during those times.

For biting... get the dog used to chew toys and bones... don't give your hand to it anymore. It's a bad habit. Unless the dog is chewing furniture and stuff over the toys the dog will have no option but to use what's there which is the toys and bones. When teething is over that should go away.

tsiguy96
01-24-2010, 04:44 PM
they stop biting eventually, you have to discipline it and if they do say no and pull your hand away.

potty training is tough but you just have to take them out frequently and encourage them when they go outside.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks. I guess we're fortunate that she doesn't really chew furniture and stuff. But I'm telling you, she will ignore the toys and chews and just go after my hands. I don't offer them to her by any means. She will also jump up on me when I'm standing a snag my clothes, which pisses me off beyond belief.

Ray Finkle
01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
when they do an action you don't prefer, ignore them. When they stop, give them attention...it works well.

Garcia Bronco
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
When my dog would bite i wod grab him by his upper mouth with the thmb along the inside of his mouth and slowly put him down on the ground.

Quoydogs
01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
they stop biting eventually, you have to discipline it and if they do say no and pull your hand away.

potty training is tough but you just have to take them out frequently and encourage them when they go outside.

Potty training--- Rub the nose in it and out the door they go.
If they go in one spot all the time dilute chlorine and or bleach 10 to 1 and squirt on the spot they will never go there again. This also work if they are chewing on something.

As for the biting, you have to stop that playing or not. Grab him by the throat flip him on his back and stair him right in the eye balls while very firmly telling him that, that is not allowed. ( don't hurt him when doing this, its not a mean thing it is a your the boss thing. )

It is very important that you have your wife do this as well or when the dog grows up it will challenge her for the #2 spot. When we got our first dog my wife refused to believe that they still worked on the Alpha system. I think it was a pretty big blow to her ego. So try to explain to her that it is nothing personal it is just nature and enjoy your night on the couch. :~ohyah!:

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I've tried the holding her mouth closed and puting pressure on her mouth under her tongue techniques, but with no avail. She still comes back at me. Lots of energy in this pup.

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
If they go in one spot all the time dilute chlorine and or bleach 10 to 1 and squirt on the spot they will never go there again. This also work if they are chewing on something.

As for the biting, you have to stop that playing or not. Grab him by the throat flip him on his back and stair him right in the eye balls while very firmly telling him that, that is not allowed. ( don't hurt him when doing this, its not a mean thing it is a your the boss thing. )

It is very important that you have your wife do this as well or when the dog grows up it will challenge her for the #2 spot. When we got our first dog my wife refused to believe that they still worked on the Alpha system. I think it was a pretty big blow to her ego. So try to explain to her that it is nothing personal it is just nature and enjoy your night on the couch. :~ohyah!:Start by ignoring this post entirely.

Rubbing a dog's nose in a mess after the fact is exactly equivalent to sticking your child's face in their diaper.

The best way to quicken potty training is to use the crate. When you take the dog out of the crate after a longish period, take her immediately outside. If she pees immediately (within 30 seconds) praise her.

If she doesn't pee within 30 seconds bring her right back inside and watch her like a hawk (out of the corner of your eye)until she tries to go somewhere in the house. As soon as she starts to squat, make a loud verbal correction ("HEY", "NO", "EHHH", whatever you like) and move quickly at her. Scoop her up and run her outside. Give her another 30 seconds, and praise if she goes. Repeat if needed until she does her deal outside.

Catching her in the act is the key. Dogs have no ability to connect a current consequence with a past behavior.

Bronx33
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Roll up a newspaper tightly and when she comes after you smack it on your hand or a table to make a loud sound and use verbal commands at the same time to help her associate the word no with the loud sound to get her attention slowly you can remove the newspaper and just use words but she will have already learned to no bite you by then.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Start by ignoring this post entirely.

Rubbing a dog's nose in a mess after the fact is exactly equivalent to sticking your child's face in their diaper.

The best way to quicken potty training is to use the crate. When you take the dog out of the crate after a longish period, take her immediately outside. If she pees immediately (within 30 seconds) praise her.

If she doesn't pee within 30 seconds bring her right back inside and watch her like a hawk (out of the corner of your eye)until she tries to go somewhere in the house. As soon as she starts to squat, make a loud verbal correction ("HEY", "NO", "EHHH", whatever you like) and move quickly at her. Scoop her up and run her outside. Give her another 30 seconds, and praise if she goes. Repeat if needed until she does her deal outside.

Catching her in the act is the key. Dogs have no ability to connect a current consequence with a past behavior.

Good stuff. I take her right outside no matter how long she's in the crate. Seems to work well.

NYC Bronco
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
get nature's miracle for indoor messes

over react when when pup bites you like it really hurts, the pup needs to learn bite inhibition.

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
I've tried the holding her mouth closed and puting pressure on her mouth under her tongue techniques, but with no avail. She still comes back at me. Lots of energy in this pup.
That doesn't really mean anything to her. Start playing with her on the ground pushing her around play style, and the moment she starts using her mouth too much give a sharp "Hey" and stand up to your full height and back away.

If she stops and looks at you, go right back and start playing with her again.

She wants to play; if you take the play away when she gets too rough, and bring it back when she relaxes a little, she'll get the the idea that she gets what she wants (to play) if she gives you what you want (appropriate play).

What kind of dog?

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Good stuff. I take her right outside no matter how long she's in the crate. Seems to work well.

The trick is not giving her much time to go, otherwise she's training you to wait however long she wants. Also setting up scenarios where you can catch her in the act will speed up the training process.

Give her a brief chance outside, and then give yourself the chance to catch her.

It makes it really black and white for her, and also teaches her to get on with things quickly.

Quoydogs
01-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Wow what up dick. Anyways rubbing a dogs nose in it shows the dog what he has done and why not to do it, even if you find out he has done it 30 minutes before. It is nothing like rubbing your kids nose in it. Man. I tell ya --meaning you are obviously the master trainer and have no life other then watching your dog out of the corner of you eye for 3 month what about the biting ?

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow what up dick. Anyways rubbing a dogs nose in it shows the dog what he has done and why not to do it, even if you find out he has done it 30 minutes before. It is nothing like rubbing your kids nose in it. Man. I tell ya --meaning you are obviously the master trainer and have no life other then watching your dog out of the corner of you eye for 3 month what about the biting ?I addressed the biting above.

You're woefully ignorant on this friend.

Pseudofool
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Start giving the dog more and more space to live in when you are away. Go from crate to bathroom to fenced off area of the kitchen, etc.

As for the biting, get some quality chew toys that last. There's some minty hard material things that keep the dog occupied and last forever. While you don't want to reinforce bad behavior, you don't want to punish your dog from relieving its own pain from teething--you need to redirect the biting from you to the toy--so have a lot of them around so you can grab one readily when the biting begins. I'd wait to start discipling the dog (either through ignoring or forced submission etc.) for the biting until after teething, so when that you do discipline him you can be sure it's not motivated by pain relief. JMO.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
That doesn't really mean anything to her. Start playing with her on the ground pushing her around play style, and the moment she starts using her mouth too much give a sharp "Hey" and stand up to your full height and back away.

If she stops and looks at you, go right back and start playing with her again.

She wants to play; if you take the play away when she gets too rough, and bring it back when she relaxes a little, she'll get the the idea that she gets what she wants (to play) if she gives you what you want (appropriate play).

What kind of dog?

Mostly poodle, some lab. I refuse to call her a labradoodle though. My wife is allergic, so we had to get a dog that didn't shed and had low dander.

Pseudofool
01-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow what up dick. Anyways rubbing a dogs nose in it shows the dog what he has done and why not to do it, even if you find out he has done it 30 minutes before. It is nothing like rubbing your kids nose in it. Man. I tell ya --meaning you are obviously the master trainer and have no life other then watching your dog out of the corner of you eye for 3 month what about the biting ?Dude, nearly everyone now knows it's a crock of crap to rub your dogs nose in its stuff. He probably didn't correct you in the most appropriate way. But whether you knew it our not, you're advocating something many consider cruel.

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Mostly poodle, some lab. I refuse to call her a labradoodle though. My wife is allergic, so we had to get a dog that didn't shed and had low dander.

I hear you. I have a border collie and a poodleXschnauzer. My girlfriend calls him a schnoodle, I call him mutt.

Don't get me started on designer breeds though. stick with the training.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks to all. As for best long lasting chew toys, any suggestions? From what I've read, the bully stick is the way to go, but she chews it for a while and gets tired of it.

gunns
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM

This. Good advice, all of it.

Most of it is just patience, consistency, and observance. Puppies are like kids, they will repeat bad behavior, as long as your consistent, they will get the message eventually. Accidents and repeats are going to happen, it's part of having a puppy.

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Dude, nearly everyone now knows it's a crock of crap to rub your dogs nose in its stuff. He probably didn't correct you in the most appropriate way. But whether you knew it our not, you're advocating something many consider cruel.

Cruel is harsh, but it is utterly pointless for sure. Unless, of course, you like your dogs nose to smell like poop and pee. Thens it's quite useful.

Dedhed
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks to all. As for best long lasting chew toys, any suggestions? From what I've read, the bully stick is the way to go, but she chews it for a while and gets tired of it.

Tie a knot in each end of a thick rope so it's about a foot long overall. Soak it in chicken broth. Let it dry if you have carpeting or if you mind the floor getting wet.

You can freeze it to help with teething, and you can re-soak it over and over to renew interest.

Bully sticks have all sorts of health risks; I would avoid them.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I hear you. I have a border collie and a poodleXschnauzer. My girlfriend calls him a schnoodle, I call him mutt.

Don't get me started on designer breeds though. stick with the training.

She's really sweet when she wants to be, and I love her death. She just has has a temper as every once in a while. But enough about my wife...

Thanks for the advice on the bully sticks. I will avoid them.

Bronco Boy
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
4 miles a day? Damn.

Boobs McGee
01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
good way to keep her interested in chew toys while teething...If you find ones that have indentations, or cavities of some sort, you can put peanut butter in there.

My roomate and his girlfriend are in LITERALLY the same place you are right now, from the bell on the back door to the hand nibbling, to the teeth loss. Pretty funny. Anywho, we've been finding that Jasmine (she's a little brendal boxer) has been "abusing" the bell, and using it as an excuse to try and get outside more haha.

As far as the biting goes, Dedhed's got a pretty good idea. We've all basically been doing the same thing (minus the standing up part). As SOON as she bites when she's not suppossed to, it's a very firm hand on the scruff of the neck, followed by a loud "HEEEY" or "NOO", and once she looks at us with some kind of recognition, she imeediately starts licking the hand. She's really coming along well with it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM

It is very important that you have your wife do this as well or when the dog grows up it will challenge her for the #2 spot. When we got our first dog my wife refused to believe that they still worked on the Alpha system. I think it was a pretty big blow to her ego. So try to explain to her that it is nothing personal it is just nature and enjoy your night on the couch. :~ohyah!:

Whatever you do, don't follow this advice. Worst puppy advice ever.

You can train it out of the dog without violence. Be firm. Take your hand away. Say "NO." Repeat.

With going in the house, not much else you can do; but don't rub his nose in it. Doesn't do anything. If you don't catch them in the act, it won't register. Seriously.

I've had my puppy since August. She never goes in the house anymore, and she knows to stop play biting (and it IS play biting... doesn't bite down EVER) when I tell her.

Get her a kong toy to help with teething. Nearly indestructible. GREAT for teething.

Broncos_OTM
01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow what up dick. Anyways rubbing a dogs nose in it shows the dog what he has done and why not to do it, even if you find out he has done it 30 minutes before. It is nothing like rubbing your kids nose in it. Man. I tell ya --meaning you are obviously the master trainer and have no life other then watching your dog out of the corner of you eye for 3 month what about the biting ?
you dont rub their nose in it. its like telling them to eat the **** man.

as for any thing i do with my dog.

I pinch at her neck when she had to be corrected as a pup. Not hard just enough to get the attention. They say that is the way a puppies mom disciplines.

Broncos_OTM
01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
4 miles a day? Damn.

Yeah. I bought a skateboard. I dont have alot of time in a day so i started haveing my dog pull me on it. shell pull me 4-6 miles and come home and be really tired then i go to work.

I also bought a dog door. That was a god send becuase i am gone 14 hours a day when i work.

Rigs11
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
you dont rub their nose in it. its like telling them to eat the **** man.

as for any thing i do with my dog.

I pinch at her neck when she had to be corrected as a pup. Not hard just enough to get the attention. They say that is the way a puppies mom disciplines.

Agreed. You do not rub their nose in it. With potty training the best thing to do is to catch them in the act. Give them a stern NO take them outside and praise them when they go. It's all about the praise.also never ever call your dog and when they come to you punish them. Also never hit them. I have three labs by the way.

Grover
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Regarding the biting of your arms and hands -

When dogs play together and one gets too rough, the abused one will let out a high pitched yelp. You need to do the same thing.

Just do a sharp sounding "Arf" or "Yap", and I GUARANTEE that the puppy will stop in its tracks with the biting. Repeat as necessary.

It's not the most macho thing to be going, but after about ten practice Yaps, i got pretty good at it.

Boobs McGee
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
that's actually pretty interesting grover, I'm gonna give that one a try