PDA

View Full Version : OT: Board Help...Moving to LA

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey West Coast Maners,

Recently I was fired from my job (or laid off, whatever) and I'm packing up my stuff within the next month or so and heading out West. Going to be looking at places in the next few weeks and would like to know:

1) What is too far away from LA in order to commute...I know traffic sucks but anything over an hour and a half (with traffic) would be too far for me. How about Torrance??

2) Moving out with a girl who wants to "go green" and sell her car before we go out there. Is this possible? She is a fitness instructor and bartends so what areas would be walking/riding a bike type areas for those jobs and not too far from dowtown LA?

3) Areas that I should definitely stay away from? I've seen Boyz in the Hood and I don't run really fast. I've been beaten up dozens of times and stabbed once but I really don't want to be shot....

4) Price range for a One Bedroom? Plus I have a dumbass dog....pet friendly areas? With beach access??

Thanks for any help guys

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
cmon.....I know there are some people from LA out there...

Bueller?? Bueller??

OABB
01-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Why do you need to be near downtown?

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Why do you need to be near downtown?

more than likely getting a job there...commuting into NYC everyday I'm not really that scared of the LA commute...but I would like to avoid leaving my house at 5:30 and getting home at 7:00.

OABB
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure what your range is but El segundo sounds great fow what you want. Your girl can ride her bike to manhatten beach or redondo or hermosa and if she's a looked she could get work anywhere there or even in gundo. You are close to the beach and there is a park and ride to the only good public transportaion in the city "the metrail" that will take you to downtown. It's around 1200 for a decent place.

OABB
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Also I'm on my iPod and I can't type very well... I meant if your girl is a looker

OABB
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I believe the train takes about 45 to an hour for the commute. I could be wrong though. You can look that up if you want

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Also I'm on my iPod and I can't type very well... I meant if your girl is a looker

thanks dude....I'm happy you didnt write "hooker"

I'll look into there...that would be a nice setup...I just have no idea whats considered "close"...because in Jersey you can be 20 minutes away from your destination and it will take an hour.

24champ
01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
1) What is too far away from LA in order to commute...I know traffic sucks but anything over an hour and a half (with traffic) would be too far for me. How about Torrance??

Torrance is above average place to live. Not bad, long as your west of town and your not that far from the beaches and LA.

Might want to check out Calabasas, Burbank, Glendale.

2) Moving out with a girl who wants to "go green" and sell her car before we go out there. Is this possible? She is a fitness instructor and bartends so what areas would be walking/riding a bike type areas for those jobs and not too far from dowtown LA?

The job situation in LA sucks, I think like 12 percent or higher Unemployment rates.

It's possible that you won't need a car, there is the Metro Rail that she can take to work.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Los_Angeles_Metro_System_Map_%28Dec._2009%29.png

However let me warn you that that gets very crowded in the mornings and after work hours. I wish they would expand these services (like RTD is doing) but with urban sprawl, there's virtually no room and there's also zero funds for it.

3) Areas that I should definitely stay away from? I've seen Boyz in the Hood and I don't run really fast. I've been beaten up dozens of times and stabbed once but I really don't want to be shot....

They are spread out, but the usual areas...East LA, South Central, Compton.

4) Price range for a One Bedroom? Plus I have a dumbass dog....pet friendly areas? With beach access??

Price range for THAT, is probably the equivalent of making a mortgage payment on a very nice house in Colorado.

Popps
01-24-2010, 12:13 PM
1. Torrance would be a fairly lengthy commute, unless you're working in the south bay.

When you say "far from LA," keep in mind LA is huge. Do you know where you're working?

2. LA is a tough place to be without a car. The exception could be if you lived someplace like Santa Monica or West Hollywood, assuming you worked in that area.

3. Plenty of places to avoid. Let us know what areas you're thinking of. Champ mentioned some nice neighborhoods. I'm in Burbank, which is great... at least for me, since I work in the industry.

4. Beach areas are ridiculously expensive. You can find them, but the more affordable ones will be in places like Venice, which are sketchy, imo.

Price range in other, non-beach areas would probably be $1200-$1800 a month for a decent 1 bdr. That's just a guess. You can probably do a bit better. Times are tough for landlords, too. Plenty of places allow dogs.

Feel free to post more questions or PM me, Vance.

UberBroncoMan
01-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I know if I was in Cali I'd be aiming for Burbank (Popps area) or Irvine.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
thanks guys....as I get further along in the process I will be posting more questions and shooting some PMs....

the cost of living seems to be on par with the NYC metro area so I won't be blown away by anything...its nice to hear the input though when it comes to the rail system and commuting...

Jesterhole
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Avoid the Valley if you can. The weather there sucks compared to the rest of LA. There is some affordable stuff in Santa Monica/Venice...you just have to live inland away from the beach. I'd recommend living there over anywhere else in LA. Expect to pay at least $1000 a month in rent, and that's for a good deal.

You can't live in LA without a car. Sure, you could get lucky and find a place and a job where you get take a bus, but you need a car to do anything or go anywhere. LA is very spread out, and mass transit is terrible. You need a car.

NYBronco
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
We lived in Los Alamitos back in the early 90's and a 2 bedroom apartment was about $800 /mo.

I used to ride my bike to work at Long Beach City College. Traffic sucked and like everyone else we scheduled our trips around the high traffic times. My wife had an aunt that lived in West Hollywood we would visit often. Leave early in the morning to get a light traffic ride to her place and return late afternoon and get stuck in traffic.

The MVPlaya
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Los Angeles in HUGE...gotta be a bit more specific. Check out the valley... it's LA County (Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Winnetka, West Hills, Canoga Park, etc). It's a bit north west of Los Angeles city but there's still traffic if you need to be in Los Angeles city.

OBF1
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
1st thing to do is find out where you are going to work before planning anything else. Your lady can work in any town if she is a trainer,bar tender or hooker :) You on the other hand do not want to be driving the 101 or 405 freeways during rush hour.... which is 6:30am-7:00pm. I have to drive alot in my business and it flat out sucks. I no longer have any idea what rents will run you, But that is going to be totally based on location. Hoods start at 600-800, While Beverly Hills or Mailbu can run to $2500+

Next year, we can show you the local hang outs to watch the Bronco games.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 03:11 PM
1) you are moving with GIRL--BIG MISTAKE

2) you are moving TO CALIFORNIA--2nd big mistake--a horrible cost of living, dying infracstructure , huge budget deficits and companies moving out every month..

good luck and can't wait for your thread in 6 months about moving back to NJ.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM

2) you are moving TO CALIFORNIA--2nd big mistake--a horrible cost of living, dying infracstructure , huge budget deficits and companies moving out every month..

nice to see that you are consistent in your message board drivel....I compliment you on that

hmmm....horrible cost of living, huge budget deficits and companies going under??? sounds like someplace i know of....oh yea, NEW JERSEY

i wont even comment on the girl thing because believe it or not there are people who actually move in with people from the other sex....(gasp)....i know its crazy to think about

cutthemdown
01-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey West Coast Maners,

Recently I was fired from my job (or laid off, whatever) and I'm packing up my stuff within the next month or so and heading out West. Going to be looking at places in the next few weeks and would like to know:

Thanks for any help guys

How about my town bro? Long Beach California. About 45 minutes no traffic, up to 2 hours if traffic bad. Metrolink right to downtown can be used and it works well. It goes from DT Long Beach to Downtown LA.

We have a bunch of cool beach areas like Belmont (parts of it are gay people but they are totally cool, its no biggie) Then you have tons of areas by Long Beach State college and the small Long Beach airport where I live. All good areas with low crime and affordable places to live.

Check out Craigslist for places around Long Beach, Torrance, even parts of Redondo Beach in the Southbay, closer to LA, are pretty affordable and nice if you don't go right by the beach etc. Long Beach cheaper though.

Lot's of people into fitness in so calif and tons of places to go run on beach in Long Beach and the Southbay. Lot's of bars downtown Long Beach, 2nd street Belmont Shore, then of course tons around Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach. But the further you go into the Southbay, the less freeway access you have.

Good luck man I hope calif treats you as well as it has my family. We love it here.

RhymesayersDU
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Well, good to know that "3 months" lasted about a week. Time sure flies!

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
nice to see that you are consistent in your message board drivel....I compliment you on that

hmmm....horrible cost of living, huge budget deficits and companies going under??? sounds like someplace i know of....oh yea, NEW JERSEY

i wont even comment on the girl thing because believe it or not there are people who actually move in with people from the other sex....(gasp)....i know its crazy to think about

So move to a state who has remained stable throughout this economic crisis--someplace like, I don't know? TEXAS

The girl part--BAD, BAD move, platonic or not.......

edit: and cali is more over priced than NJ...it's sad to see that someone's inability to use logic and reason spreads outside of this msg board and into their real lives as well...........

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, good to know that "3 months" lasted about a week. Time sure flies!

Well, PACO did say I had no integrity--so I obliged him.

cutthemdown
01-24-2010, 03:27 PM

He wasn't really asking for your advice on that but whatever. It is expensive to live in California but its sort of blownup. My cousins rent in Colo Springs only about 550 a month less then me. Big deal I make 40 grand more a yr then him.

Southern California has lots of funs things to do and great weather to do it in. We have beaches and snow skiing within a 2 hour drive on each other. Great places to go camp in the Sierras, Las Vegas driving distance, and if his girl leaves him we have tons of hot women.

Sure we have some problems right now but only because California is the leading indicator for the country. When things good they are very good. When things bad they are very bad. Once economy of country picks up Californias agriculture and ports will start going off again.

Long Beach just found a new pocket of oil that will mean 100 million a yr for the city for like 30 yrs. Thats 100 million straight to the city. It's safe to say our infrastructure will be fine because we have brand new Metrolink trains that link to pretty much anywhere you need to go in the area. Good bus system in Long Beach and some great schools. Long Beach State just named one of the most affordable 4 yr colleges.

Oh yeah tons of dog parks all with little cute girls walking them around. I tell everyone I know whose looking for a girl, get a pet, go to dog park lol!!!. Especially the one by the college.

Lev Vyvanse
01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, PACO did say I had no integrity--so I obliged him.

you...ARE--a welcher.

OBF1
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
This message is hidden because broncofan7 is on your ignore list

bpc
01-24-2010, 03:34 PM
I just feel bad that you're moving to the butthole of California. ;)

But congrats on the job offer.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
So move to a state who has remained stable throughout this economic crisis--someplace like, I don't know? TEXAS

edit: and cali is more over priced than NJ...it's sad to see that someone's inability to use logic and reason spreads outside of this msg board and into their real lives as well...........

interesting how a thread asking for advice turns into a pissing contest to you dude...I'm not trying to put i tt out there as to WHY I'm moving to California but suffice to say Texas can't provide that kind of opportunity...

I've lived in Washington DC, Florida, New Jersey and New Haven, CT...California would just be another place for me to find out about and learn....

and actually Long Beach Californias cost of living is less overall than Edgewater NJ where I currently live

so in short....eat ****

Popps
01-24-2010, 04:03 PM
interesting how a thread asking for advice turns into a pissing contest to you dude...I'm not trying to put i tt out there as to WHY I'm moving to California but suffice to say Texas can't provide that kind of opportunity...

I've lived in Washington DC, Florida, New Jersey and New Haven, CT...California would just be another place for me to find out about and learn....

and actually Long Beach Californias cost of living is less overall than Edgewater NJ where I currently live

so in short....eat ****

It's funny that the consensus biggest idiot on the board chimes in with an opinion as if you'd pay any attention to it.

If you're lucky, maybe Lex and Rasta will chime in with some life coaching, as well.

Popps
01-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I just feel bad that you're moving to the butthole of California. ;)

But congrats on the job offer.

I've always heard that No-Calers were petty and jealous about SoCal, while SoCalers really didn't have time for that nonsense.

After living in both places for almost a decade each, it's obviously very true.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 04:07 PM
It's funny that the consensus biggest idiot on the board chimes in with an opinion as if you'd pay any attention to it.

If you're lucky, maybe Lex and Rasta will chime in with some life coaching, as well.

I look forward to their words of wisdom....I'm disapppointed I even responded but its funny what boredom and a 12 pack of Long Trail Hibernators will make you do

I think this may be the only thread on the front page with no McDaniels hate littered throughout though.....thats a positive

I guess

bowtown
01-24-2010, 04:08 PM
you...ARE--a welcher.

And he has NO INTEGRITY.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I look forward to their words of wisdom....I'm disapppointed I even responded but its funny what boredom and a 12 pack of Long Trail Hibernators will make you do

I think this may be the only thread on the front page with no McDaniels hate littered throughout though.....thats a positive

I guess

Good luck 'free lance' writer.....when you decide to grow up, you know, around 40--the points I made will make sense to you.........

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
And he has NO INTEGRITY.

Why would I on a msg board run by a person with no integrity....I thought that was board policy?

bowtown
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
My favorite places to live in LA were Silver Lake, Glendale and Pasedena.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Good luck 'free lance' writer.....when you decide to grow up, you know, around 40--the points I made will make sense to you.........

a) freelance is one word...

b) I'm almost 30 and decided that with no kids, no wife and, for the first time in 12 years, no job that perhaps I would take a shot and do something I've always wanted to

c) I'm not going into what I'm looking to do out there because I'm not trying to toot my own horn or scream in some internet forum about my goals....I'm simply looking for advice on the area

d) its pretty clear you know close nothing about life and football....I would rather eat hot asbestos than listen to you speak about the world

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 04:17 PM

as if anyone would take advice from the Denver front office's biggest cheerleader--who even after a 20 point loss at home to the lowly chiefs --and a 2 and 8 finish--still insists that McDaniels has us headed in the right direction---you are as inept as you are stubborn.........

Popps
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
as if anyone would take advice from the Denver front office's biggest cheerleader--who even after a 20 point loss at home to the lowly chiefs --and a 2 and 8 finish--still insists that McDaniels has us headed in the right direction---you are as inept as you are stubborn.........

Yea, that made sense.

Thanks for your advice on LA, though. Great stuff. As you can tell, it was really useful.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Yea, that made sense.

Thanks for your advice on LA, though. Great stuff. As you can tell, it was really useful.

that was the ENTIRE point--that of course it doesn't make sense to you....just like you think that moving to CA is a great idea!

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 04:32 PM
and just like that....McDaniels is brought up in an Off-Topic Los Angeles advice thread...

seriously though...thanks for all the info guys...I will definitely be bumping this in the near future for more advice once I head out there and look at places

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
a) freelance is one word...

b) I'm almost 30 and decided that with no kids, no wife and, for the first time in 12 years, no job that perhaps I would take a shot and do something I've always wanted to

c) I'm not going into what I'm looking to do out there because I'm not trying to toot my own horn or scream in some internet forum about my goals....I'm simply looking for advice on the area

d) its pretty clear you know close nothing about life and football....I would rather eat hot asbestos than listen to you speak about the world

The fact that you are almost 30 makes this even worse--grow up... become a productive citizen..earn your keep.... establish a family.....get a job with a good salary and benefits---your dad should have given you this talk when you were 18----just think of me as your OM Daddy, You're welcome. No go become PRODUCTIVE. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING THE GREATNESS OF THE VANCE.

gunns
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM

The highest unemployment is in the west and the lowest is in the northeast. Texas is not exempt, it's around 8.5%. Not as bad as California, but then again not many states are. If you want relative low unemployment, North or South Dakota, Nebraska, or Utah.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 06:05 PM
The fact that you are almost 30 makes this even worse--grow up... become a productive citizen..earn your keep.... establish a family.....get a job with a good salary and benefits---your dad should have given you this talk when you were 18----just think of me as your OM Daddy, You're welcome. No go become PRODUCTIVE. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING THE GREATNESS OF THE VANCE.

hey dickface,

I've been in marketing and sales for the last 9 years....went from a large company as part of their marketing team to become the head of a marketing department for a smaller company about 2 years ago...the company is pretty much going under right now and I lost my job along with my entire office and the employees who were under me....all of whom I had to tell the news...

so don't talk to me about earning my keep you worthless piece of ****...you have a Transformer as your avatar...the day I am told to grow up by someone who is still following Transformers is the day I ask one of the Olsen twins for a good cake recipe...

honestly, i normally don't talk **** on people on the internet....but I would have no problem taking you into the back of a shed and beating you with a shovel like a baby seal....

bpc
01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I've always heard that No-Calers were petty and jealous about SoCal, while SoCalers really didn't have time for that nonsense.

After living in both places for almost a decade each, it's obviously very true.

We've already talked about this. I could carelss about Socal. If SouthernCal is your thang, more power to you.

It was a joke, not surprised you're taking it to the extremes though.

Popps
01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
We've already talked about this. I could carelss about Socal. If SouthernCal is your thang, more power to you.

It was a joke, not surprised you're taking it to the extremes though.

Extremes? Not at all. Just funny that the stereotype seems to have footing with you. You haven't been here long, though. Could be a newbie thing.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
hey dickface,

I've been in marketing and sales for the last 9 years....went from a large company as part of their marketing team to become the head of a marketing department for a smaller company about 2 years ago...the company is pretty much going under right now and I lost my job along with my entire office and the employees who were under me....all of whom I had to tell the news...

so don't talk to me about earning my keep you worthless piece of ****...you have a Transformer as your avatar...the day I am told to grow up by someone who is still following Transformers is the day I ask one of the Olsen twins for a good cake recipe...

honestly, i normally don't talk **** on people on the internet....but I would have no problem taking you into the back of a shed and beating you with a shovel like a baby seal....

:welcome:

Sorry to hear that you lost your job but moving to CA WITH A WOMAN none the less is a fools errand.......
I make more than you, I am better educated, I am better looking and I have a wife and children . Keep your current mindset and you will continue to flounder in MEDIOCRITY.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 07:07 PM
The highest unemployment is in the west and the lowest is in the northeast. Texas is not exempt, it's around 8.5%. Not as bad as California, but then again not many states are. If you want relative low unemployment, North or South Dakota, Nebraska, or Utah.

I agree--the middle of the country, save for the rust belt, seem to have the better State economies in the US currently...but when you factor in the low cost of housing in TX coupled with no state income tax--it's no wonder that more people are moving here than any other state---NC seems to have experienced some growth as well..........but to move to CA--in this economy-it's personal financial suicide.

FYI:

http://www.setexasrealestatetalk.com/2009/08/move-over-neighbor-texas-boasts-biggest-population-gain.html

Just reported by The Wall Street Journal , U.S. Census reports show that more people are moving to Texas than any other state.

Excerpt from story:

Sunbelt States See Biggest Population Gains
Early 2010 U.S. Census calculations suggest that industrial states that have been hard hit by the recession have lost population, while Sunbelt states have grown significantly since the last census in 2000. The only exception is Louisiana, which is still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.

The bureau is concerned that foreclosures that have displaced families will make it more difficult to get an accurate count.

States expected to have gained population and congressional seats, including the number they are expected to gain, are:

•Nevada, +1
•Arizona, +1
•Texas, +3 •Florida, +1
•Georgia, +1

vancejohnson82
01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
:welcome:

I make more than you, I am better educated, I am better looking and I have a wife and children . Keep your current mindset and you will continue to flounder in MEDIOCRITY.

you have no idea about what i was making before last week...i doubt you are better educated than me....especially after reading a year of your nonsensical, jibberish on this board....you have no idea about my education, btw...

i won't say anything about your supposed wife or child because, for all i know they are great peoplebut i hope they arent looking to you for husbandly advice or fatherly leadership because they would be better off heading over to the zoo and jumping into the panda exhibit

however, you are a douchebag...and you might be about 18 years old and are just trolling and pretending to be somebody...thats honestly what i am starting to believe

there is no way you are an adult...absolutely no way...

Popps
01-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Why would I on a msg board run by a person with no integrity....I thought that was board policy?

Dude, trust me... most 40 year olds want nothing to do with you. Don't associate yourself with us. You enjoy working down at the filling station down there in hick-land and let us worry about things out here.

Popps
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Dude, just ignore him. You'll do great out here. Look forward to hearing about your move.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Dude, trust me... most 40 year olds want nothing to do with you. Don't associate yourself with us. You enjoy working down at the filling station down there in hick-land and let us worry about things out here.

Frisco TX--hickland? :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco,_Texas

According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $93,478, and the median income for a family was $102,620.[3] Males had a median income of $58,620 versus $37,440 for females. The per capita income for the city was $34,089. About 2.2% of families and 3.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 07:16 PM

There is no way that someone who is almost 30 can be stupid enough to move cross country with a girl --sell his car because SHE wants to go green and to top it off--move to one of the most expensive states to live in in the entire country---even Josh McDaniels would have a hard time keeping up with this level of absolute futility........call it off--move to NC or TX.

Man-Goblin
01-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Good thread. Maybe the Jaguars can use it as a reference in about 2 years.

broncofan7
01-24-2010, 07:17 PM

most 40 year olds are indirectly and directly coming to me for their medications and diabetes care....that includes your CIALIS, poops.

24champ
01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
There is no way that someone who is almost 30 can be stupid enough to move cross country with a girl --sell his car because SHE wants to go green and to top it off--move to one of the most expensive states to live in in the entire country---even Josh McDaniels would have a hard time keeping up with this level of absolute futility........call it off--move to NC or TX.

:stupid:

He didn't ask your advice in the first place. Can you read the first four words of the original post?

Popps
01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
most 40 year olds are indirectly and directly coming to me for their medications and diabetes care....that includes your CIALIS, poops.

Sure guy.

Fill it up with premium and fetch me a bag of chips, and do the windshields right this time.

broncocalijohn
01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
What Broncofan7 says is true. Even though new jersey isnt that great, we have the worst in Cali. Total broke, taxes up the ying yang (about 10% in LA for sales tax), unemployment, socialism at its worst (makes obama look like a moderate) and LA traffic is the worst. I do OC and everything is better (jobs, traffic,etc) but you pretty much need a car. I wouldnt live in Long Beach or OC if you have to go to downtown. Try going past the 10 would suck eggs. I would say a commuting area that is cheaper and not to far from downtown would be somewhere around Whittier. Not very hip but probably a ton cheaper. Good luck and if you come, you inherit our problems.

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 04:33 AM
What Broncofan7 says is true. Even though new jersey isnt that great, we have the worst in Cali. Total broke, taxes up the ying yang (about 10% in LA for sales tax), unemployment, socialism at its worst (makes obama look like a moderate) and LA traffic is the worst. I do OC and everything is better (jobs, traffic,etc) but you pretty much need a car. I wouldnt live in Long Beach or OC if you have to go to downtown. Try going past the 10 would suck eggs. I would say a commuting area that is cheaper and not to far from downtown would be somewhere around Whittier. Not very hip but probably a ton cheaper. Good luck and if you come, you inherit our problems.

I love Dana Point and Laguna--I bow to the greatness that is the OC--but even someone like me--who makes 6 figures--- realizes the peril that awaits me financially if I attempted to move out there because I like the scenery. If only I could time travel and buy property when it wasn't so out of sync with reality........

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Sure guy.

Fill it up with premium and fetch me a bag of chips, and do the windshields right this time.

You obviously need your clozaril dose adjusted-reality is no friend of yours-call your Psychiatrist PRONTO. I can make referrals if needed..........

HAT
01-25-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure what your range is but El segundo sounds great fow what you want. Your girl can ride her bike to manhatten beach or redondo or hermosa and if she's a looked she could get work anywhere there or even in gundo. You are close to the beach and there is a park and ride to the only good public transportaion in the city "the metrail" that will take you to downtown. It's around 1200 for a decent place.

+1

I live in OC but worked in the South Bay for years. If you are looking for affordable (relatively), close to the beach, & close to downtown...South Bay is your place.

El Segundo, (North) Redondo Beach, and parts of Torrance all fit the bill.
Close enough to Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach without paying for the 90266 zip code. Westchester & Playa Vista are also good fits.

Alternately...(South) Long Beach (near CSULB) & Lakewood could work also. Not that bad of a commute to downtown & still easy access to Seal Beach, Belmont Shores.

If you're willing to commute an hour or so....check out Fountain Valley (Huntington Beach) or Costa Mesa (Newport Beach) in Orange County.

You pretty much just want too live one city inland of the beach towns to get all the benefits without all the costs.

My overall recommendation would be North Redondo.....Freeway close, beach close, downtown close, etc.

HAT
01-25-2010, 06:29 AM
well, paco did say i had no integrity--so i obliged him.

c u n t

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
c u n t

aghh...poor little girl.Did I hurt your feelings? Do you want a spiderman band aid for your sprained vagina? It'll be okay.....:rofl:

bowtown
01-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Says the guy with who switches between Transformers and GI Joe as his avatar.

Pssst... it's only nostolgic if Hollywood hasn't already played it out and ruined it in the past 5 years.

HorseHead
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
once you get to Cali, please do me a favor, go to "In 'N Burger"...send me a "double-double, animal style" please...

have fun out there...if you can stand wildfires, earthquakes, mud slides and Ryan Seacrest, it's perfect...I loved it when I was there..

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Pssst... it's only nostolgic if Hollywood hasn't already played it out and ruined it in the past 5 years.

and with every key stroke I am sure that you typed that statement with the self assuredness that I'd give a rat's A$$ what you find 'nostalgic' :rofl:

Plebian, your opinion holds as much significance to me as a bird ****ting on someone elses' head...

bowtown
01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
and with every key stroke I am sure that you typed that statement with the self assuredness that I'd give a rat's A$$ what you find 'nostalgic' :rofl:

Plebian, your opinion holds as much significance to me as a bird ****ting on someone elses' head...

No, it's perfectly clear that you don't care anyone else thinks. If you did you might have at least one person on this board who is glad you are still here.

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 09:26 AM
No, it's perfectly clear that you don't care anyone else thinks. If you did you might have at least one person on this board who is glad you are still here.

:strong:

Cito Pelon
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Well, vance, sounds to me like you're on an adventure. I wish you the best of luck. SoCal is a nice place to live, but the competition for every little thing is brutal.

Popps
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM

:spit:

ColoradoBuff
01-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Everything you've failed to achieve in life so far? Hmmmmm:thanku:

ColoradoBuff
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM

As long as it ****s on your head...who cares about anything else douchbag!:yayaya:

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Everything you've failed to achieve in life so far? Hmmmmm:thanku:

So noble of you coming to your boyfriend's defense....when is your 'life partner engagement event' taking place? :rofl:

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM

As long as it ****s on your head...who cares about anything else douchbag!:yayaya:

Can you EVEN READ?

I wrote this:

Plebian, your opinion holds as much significance to me as a bird ****ting on someone elses' head

and you respond with this?

As long as it ****s on your head...who cares about anything else douchbag!:yayaya

:rofl:

I was only joking with Vance about him not being a productive citizen--you on the other hand..I almost feel bad about pointing out your ineptitude. ALMOST.

24champ
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Can you EVEN READ?

I asked you that. What are the first four words of the original post of this thread?

Rohirrim
01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I grew up in the South Bay. Let me give you some good advice. Get a nice place in Malibu. West of PCH. Set it up in such a way that you don't have to commute to anywhere but the grocery store. Everyday, sit on the deck and watch the sun until it goes down. When there's some tasty waves, go out and catch a few. That's the only way to live in L.A. ;D

broncofan7
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I asked you that. What are the first four words of the original post of this thread?

Who cares.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Here's some advice. If youre going out on a first date, dont go to the Grove. A psychic might approach you and tell you and your date that you aren't right for each other.

24champ
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I grew up in the South Bay. Let me give you some good advice. Get a nice place in Malibu. West of PCH. Set it up in such a way that you don't have to commute to anywhere but the grocery store. Everyday, sit on the deck and watch the sun until it goes down. When there's some tasty waves, go out and catch a few. That's the only way to live in L.A. ;D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/le5aIqn_MfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/le5aIqn_MfE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

drail 24 48
01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey West Coast Maners,

Thanks for any help guys

Thanks for this thread Vance was thinking of moving to SoCal myself. Been wanting to do it for a while and change it up. Now have more useful data to attack :) Thanks again

ColoradoBuff
01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
So noble of you coming to your boyfriend's defense....when is your 'life partner engagement event' taking place? :rofl:

Looks life Fat Bob has a twin brother!

broncocalijohn
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
why is there another thread that BF7 ruins. He doesnt even take his hiatus as he betted. Worse than Boob who is a troll. A "Bronco fan" who welches and brags about it is worse. Do the right thing BF7 and be gone for the promised time.

RhymesayersDU
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Good thread. Maybe the Jaguars can use it as a reference in about 2 years.

This comment got overlooked amidst the arguing, but is actually pretty funny. Poor Jacksonville.

Los Broncos
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I know if I was in Cali I'd be aiming for Burbank (Popps area) or Irvine.

Irvine is great city, clean and wide open the more south you go.

I live just north of there about 10 minutes.

Just cant afford to make the move right now, times is hard.

Los Broncos
01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
How about my town bro? Long Beach California. About 45 minutes no traffic, up to 2 hours if traffic bad. Metrolink right to downtown can be used and it works well. It goes from DT Long Beach to Downtown LA.

We have a bunch of cool beach areas like Belmont (parts of it are gay people but they are totally cool, its no biggie) Then you have tons of areas by Long Beach State college and the small Long Beach airport where I live. All good areas with low crime and affordable places to live.

Check out Craigslist for places around Long Beach, Torrance, even parts of Redondo Beach in the Southbay, closer to LA, are pretty affordable and nice if you don't go right by the beach etc. Long Beach cheaper though.

Lot's of people into fitness in so calif and tons of places to go run on beach in Long Beach and the Southbay. Lot's of bars downtown Long Beach, 2nd street Belmont Shore, then of course tons around Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach. But the further you go into the Southbay, the less freeway access you have.

Good luck man I hope calif treats you as well as it has my family. We love it here.

And we can all meet up to watch your band play.

Sorry I haven't been to the last few shows.

HAT
01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Irvine is great city, clean and wide open the more south you go.

I live just north of there about 10 minutes.

Just cant afford to make the move right now, times is hard.

Where abouts in SA are you IC?

I live in Orange (55/Katella)

I'm sure the rents have leveled off some in this economy but Irvine damn pricey for renters. I lived in in IAC complex right behind the Marketplace. Super nice with garages, in unit W/D, resort style pools, etc.... $1500 for 700 SF though, in '07 anyway.

Los Broncos
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Where abouts in SA are you IC?

I live in Orange (55/Katella)

I'm sure the rents have leveled off some in this economy but Irvine damn pricey for renters. I lived in in IAC complex right behind the Marketplace. Super nice with garages, in unit W/D, resort style pools, etc.... $1500 for 700 SF though, in '07 anyway.

Lets say Warner and Standard in Santa Ana.

I know right where you are, I have worked right near there and have friends down near the circle.

The apartments around Tustin and Irvine marketplace are pricey.

I'm renting a small house for around $1,100 a month.

But it has a nice big back yard where my son can play, so safety is pretty important.

Always parking, plenty of storage.

So it isn't all bad here in Southern California. :sunshine:

Jason in LA
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I hate commutes. I lived in Long Beach for a while and worked in Santa Monica for a couple years. That drive sucked. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes both ways. I left at 7am and didn't get back home until 7pm. Went to bed around 11 just to get up and do it all over again. That's only 4 hours to myself (which wasn't really to myself). That sucked.

Right now I live in LA and I work in LA. I'm less than 10 minutes on the streets from the job. If I hit all the green lights I can get there in 5 minutes. It's so much better.

The Mid Wilshire/Miracle Mile area isn't far from Downtown. Wilshire should get you there quickly, even during rush hour. And it's a cool area to live in.

HAT
01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I hate commutes. I lived in Long Beach for a while and worked in Santa Monica for a couple years. That drive sucked.

I bet. South Bay curve and LAX in the same commute = brutal.

I drove from OC to Redondo for a few years and it averaged about 1:15 each way (40 miles). I usually took the 405 to and the 91 from. Literally driving around in circles.

I don't think LB to downtown would be that bad....Only on the 405 for a bit. Not sure what that stretch of the 110 looks like at rush hour though.

Torrance/Redondo/Westchester to downtown can't be more than40 minutes during rush hour I wouldn't think. It's only what...15 miles?

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2010, 01:00 AM
+1

If you're willing to commute an hour or so....Costa Mesa (Newport Beach) in Orange County.

Did that for years. Not a fun drive. But a great place to live :thumbs:.

vancejohnson82
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
moving to the Valley....6 month lease just to get myself out here

what are some good places to watch the games out here once the season starts?

this is obviously a #1 priority at this point

bpc
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM

In the end, great for you. Good luck and I hope it's a great transition for you and whomever is going with you.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM

In the valley, im not sure. A lot of people go to Big Wangs in Hollywood. but honestly, there are like 60,000,000 different sports bars. You'll have zero trouble finding one close by.

where in the valley?

Popps
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Congrats, neighbor.

vancejohnson82
02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks guys...I'm in Tarzana??

basically, the places near LA were a little out of our price range for right now (with no jobs lined up) and I wanted to be in a safe area for the lady friend

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM

basically, the places near LA were a little out of our price range for right now (with no jobs lined up) and I wanted to be in a safe area for the lady friend

its fine:) Us LA folks will scoff at the valley, while im sure popps (a valley guy) will sing its praises. But its not bad. Just gets ass hot in the summer

vancejohnson82
02-12-2010, 02:01 PM
its fine:) Us LA folks will scoff at the valley, while im sure popps (a valley guy) will sing its praises. But its not bad. Just gets ass hot in the summer

yea...ive gotten a lot of scoffs around here when I mention the Valley...

"whatever dude...I like, really like it a lot, MAAN"

guess i gotta start talking like that...and lose my Jersey accent

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2010, 02:26 PM
yea...ive gotten a lot of scoffs around here when I mention the Valley...

"whatever dude...I like, really like it a lot, MAAN"

guess i gotta start talking like that...and lose my Jersey accent

I'm a native new yorker and find it funny and annoying when people from NY or Jersey make blanket statements about Cali. First off, there is good pizza here and secondly, be sure to rub it in their faces when its 70 degrees on a normal february day (like it will be this weekend). Also, people in NY are just as fake as people here, just in a different way (and ours have bigger tits;)

cutthemdown
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I bet. South Bay curve and LAX in the same commute = brutal.

I drove from OC to Redondo for a few years and it averaged about 1:15 each way (40 miles). I usually took the 405 to and the 91 from. Literally driving around in circles.

I don't think LB to downtown would be that bad....Only on the 405 for a bit. Not sure what that stretch of the 110 looks like at rush hour though.

Torrance/Redondo/Westchester to downtown can't be more than40 minutes during rush hour I wouldn't think. It's only what...15 miles?

When I worked in Los Angeles I took the Metro rail blue line to Downtown LA. Took about 10 minutes to drive and park, 50 minutes on train, 10 minutes to hoof it to work. But the whole time on train I would read newspaper, a book, or just relax. Way better then fighting the freeways especially on the way home fridays etc etc.

If people would just use what the taxpayer money has built for them and give up cars sometimes they would be much better off.

cutthemdown
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

I hope everything works out. Welcome to California....Enjoy the weather. The people who bag on California are just haters. It's a great place to live. Sure our gangs are mean, our sports teams hollywood, all our chicks have fake tits, homeless people love it here, Welfare rolls are huge, we are in debt, our gov is friggin conan, both our senators are annoying as hell, we have a ton of traffic, its expensive, but hey at least its sunny!!!!!!!

vancejohnson82
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a native new yorker and find it funny and annoying when people from NY or Jersey make blanket statements about Cali. First off, there is good pizza here and secondly, be sure to rub it in their faces when its 70 degrees on a normal february day (like it will be this weekend). Also, people in NY are just as fake as people here, just in a different way (and ours have bigger boobies;)

haha...as a New Jerseyan I'm used to blanket statements made about a state, trust me

El Minion
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I hate commutes. I lived in Long Beach for a while and worked in Santa Monica for a couple years. That drive sucked. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes both ways. I left at 7am and didn't get back home until 7pm. Went to bed around 11 just to get up and do it all over again. That's only 4 hours to myself (which wasn't really to myself). That sucked.

Right now I live in LA and I work in LA. I'm less than 10 minutes on the streets from the job. If I hit all the green lights I can get there in 5 minutes. It's so much better.

The Mid Wilshire/Miracle Mile area isn't far from Downtown. Wilshire should get you there quickly, even during rush hour. And it's a cool area to live in.

http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenwaste.jpg