PDA

View Full Version : Mayock- early draft thoughts

SoDak Bronco
01-23-2010, 05:44 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Most draft analysts don't inspire confidence, but Mike Mayock of NFL Network has consistently proven to be ahead of the competition. When he bangs his fist on the table for a player, we listen.

On Friday, he said that defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska) and Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma) are the draft's top two prospects. By a lot.

The names aren't surprising, but Mayock's belief in McCoy is noteworthy. He sees Suh and McCoy as equally valuable and doesn't see a quarterback as a candidate for the top pick.

"I think it's a big reach,'' Mayock said. "The logical guy is [Sam] Bradford. I'm not a big [Jimmy] Clausen fan. No way in the world in my mind; that's today, I've still got a lot more work to do on Bradford. Those two players [Suh and McCoy] just dwarf the quarterback issue.''

Mayock's words were transcribed by MLive.com in Detroit, where the Lions hold the second pick. If Mayock is right, Jim Schwartz should be a very happy coach.

gunns
01-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Not surprising although it's interesting he puts McCoy at the same level as Suh, and exciting. He also had 3 unknowns to keep an eye on, missed the first two but the third was Koa Misi, DE, from the Utes, of course I'd notice that. Might be a good pickup in the later rounds.

TexanBob
01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Well, the Lions won't be drafting a QB - that's for damn sure.

Maybe they won't go d-line but if Suh is still there, they'd be idiots not to. Speaking of idiots, Matt Millen is still in broadcasting, right?

gyldenlove
01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Not surprising although it's interesting he puts McCoy at the same level as Suh, and exciting. He also had 3 unknowns to keep an eye on, missed the first two but the third was Koa Misi, DE, from the Utes, of course I'd notice that. Might be a good pickup in the later rounds.

Rumors have it that a lot of people in the NFL are really high on Mccoy as a prospect because he plays with so much explosiveness on the inside, a little like the Jake Long - Ryan Clady thing, Long and Suh are the guys who can't miss but Clady and Mccoy are the guys who might end up dominating their positions for 15 years because they could be that good.

Mediator12
01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
They are different types of players, but they are both the best of this class by far at the top. McCoy is another Tommie Harris Lowside/Warren Sapp highside Undertackle. One of the best pure pass rushing DT Talents to come out in years. He is a penetrating, disruptive speed player. Suh can play all along the DL with his Strength. He can play UT, NT, DE in a 3-4, or LDE in a 4-3. He is simply a beast and can use it from any scheme.

Which one would you take? Depends on your scheme and needs. I would pick either and laugh all the way to the bank.

maher_tyler
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I would love to have Suh on the Broncos!! Dude dominated against good teams like Texas and VT!!

summerdenver
01-23-2010, 06:29 PM
They are different types of players, but they are both the best of this class by far at the top. McCoy is another Tommie Harris Lowside/Warren Sapp highside Undertackle. One of the best pure pass rushing DT Talents to come out in years. He is a penetrating, disruptive speed player. Suh can play all along the DL with his Strength. He can play UT, NT, DE in a 3-4, or LDE in a 4-3. He is simply a beast and can use it from any scheme.

Which one would you take? Depends on your scheme and needs. I would pick either and laugh all the way to the bank.

How do they compare Glen Dorsey? If memory serves me right every one was really high on Dorsey too.

gunns
01-23-2010, 08:45 PM

So now there is two guys I get to fantasize about. I loved Tommie Harris, that was the right thing to say to convince me. Damn I would love to get either. I would give up most anything on the Broncos except Clady and Doom. My dreams of dominant defense continues......I've seen Suh and damn is all I can say. I remember seeing Dorsey and never had the same "ahhh".

NFLBRONCO
01-23-2010, 08:52 PM
So now there is two guys I get to fantasize about. I loved Tommie Harris, that was the right thing to say to convince me. Damn I would love to get either. I would give up most anything on the Broncos except Clady and Doom. My dreams of dominant defense continues......I've seen Suh and damn is all I can say. I remember seeing Dorsey and never had the same "ahhh".

While I agree on Suh I just don't see Denver wanting to pay top 2 money. I would think even if they did pull this off it would be highly likely both BM and Doom would be gone.

WolfpackGuy
01-23-2010, 10:42 PM

The Broncos likely could've had the ammunition if not for the "steal" of A. Smith...