PDA

View Full Version : Future of Brandon Marshall

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I am curious to know what people think will be the future of Brandon Marshall.

Poll to come. Please put a description if you select other. If you think he leaves, put where you think he'll end up, just for fun.

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
even though everyone says hes gone, its too hard to tell. mcdaniels isnt dumb and wont just give him away, but i dont think hes gonna fetch the type of value we are looking for either, in which case mcdaniels holds onto him.

montrose
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver just as Braylon Edwards already has (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/21/edwards-happy-to-stay-on-one-year-tender/).

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4841466), that most of these RFAs might wind up coming back to their teams on tenders. Could the owners have set it up that way? Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither woukd he: (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1181090).

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I think he winds up in Baltimore, Cincy, Washington, Dallas or Chicago. (in that order). I would put Chicago higher on that list but they don't have much in terms of draft picks having already traded their 1st and 2nd this year. Dallas is a W.A.G. based on Jones' propensity to spend and have marquee players. Not sure they actually "need" him.

The ESPN blogger for the NFC West suggested Seattle because they have 2 #1s next year, but I don't see how a team that has recently spent huge $$$ on Burleson, Housh, and Branch wants another big money player at that position.

The reason I like Baltimore as the favorite is that a) there is an obvious need, especially if Mason retires b) they are close to being an elite team and c) they have a strong locker room. I think the last point speaks to the idea that they won't be intimidated by Brandon's act.

TheDave
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver

Yep... but I think they migh franchise him to "Up his pay"

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver just as Braylon Edwards already has (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/21/edwards-happy-to-stay-on-one-year-tender/).

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this, that most of these RFAs will wind up coming back to their teams on tenders - the owners set it up that way. Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither can he (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1181090).

You raise excellent points. And if there weren't so much discontent (seemingly anyway) between Brandon and the Broncos Organization at large, I think I would agree with this assessment. The other difference between Brandon and Braylon is that Brandon at least stepped on the field and produced this year (making the Pro Bowl).

But it certainly is an interesting dilemma because that price tag is sooo heavy to get him away from Denver.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4841466), that most of these RFAs might wind up coming back to their teams on tenders. Could the owners have set it up that way? Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither woukd he: (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1181090).

LOL you link kind of blows up in your face ...:notworthy

That approach is a little easier for Edwards to adopt because he's already pocketed one huge contract. Players with smaller career earnings may not embrace the realities of the uncapped world so enthusiastically.

oubronco
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM

listening to the interview with Marshall i didn't hear any "All I care about is the money" talk and it sounded like McD needs to get his communication skills under control

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
listening to the interview with Marshall i didn't hear any "All I care about is the money" talk and it sounded like McD needs to get his communication skills under control

brandon has said several times its not the city, its his contract hes unhappy with. thats kind of the problem in the NFL, a player is unhappy making 2.3 million dollars a year. more then most people will ever make in their lifetime.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
even though everyone says hes gone, its too hard to tell. mcdaniels isnt dumb and wont just give him away, but i dont think hes gonna fetch the type of value we are looking for either, in which case mcdaniels holds onto him.

This.

montrose
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Yep... but I think they migh franchise him to "Up his pay"

Can you franchise a RFA? If so, that's a possibility.

LOL you link kind of blows up in your face ...:notworthy

That approach is a little easier for Edwards to adopt because he's already pocketed one huge contract. Players with smaller career earnings may not embrace the realities of the uncapped world so enthusiastically.

I just wanted to post that for reference sake, not to compare to BMarsh.

kamakazi_kal
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
brandon has said several times its not the city, its his contract hes unhappy with. thats kind of the problem in the NFL, a player is unhappy making 2.3 million dollars a year. more then most people will ever make in their lifetime.

that means nothing.

simple fact is he is at the very least in the top 5 at his position and I don't recall the exact number but his paid outside of the top 25 or somewhere around there. It's what the market dictates not what we think he should be happy with.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
people when we gave TD that huge contract to TD I thought what a classy owner !

the last few years I have started to wane on this .

Shanahan IMO money was why he was not keept .

Cutler Money IMO

Dvile should of got a new contract two year ago .

Marshal same he should of got a new contract two years ago .

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:35 PM
that means nothing.

simple fact is he is at the very least in the top 5 at his position and I don't recall the exact number but his paid outside of the top 25 or somewhere around there. It's what the market dictates not what we think he should be happy with.

ummmm yea it does, read the whole post then try again. im not commenting about him and him only fool, im commenting on the general salary of NFL players and how when one is making ONLY 2.3 million dollars, its enough to act how marshall acted this year.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:35 PM

so tsiguy you think Marshal is playing like a 4th rounder ?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Cutler Money IMO

So what's the point? You think Marshall will be here? won't be here?

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
there is rookies making more money . and you guys think 4th round money is fair.

watermock
This team needs less drama and more wins!

oubronco

When you play like the best you should get paid like the best

Dukes
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
He's played his last game in Denver, that's for sure.

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Why would you? If you franchise him you have to give him top 5 money, like 10M a year. If you tender him you only have to give him the $3M.

Seems to me you'd only do one or the other.

kamakazi_kal
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
ummmm yea it does, read the whole post then try again. im not commenting about him and him only fool, im commenting on the general salary of NFL players and how when one is making ONLY 2.3 million dollars, its enough to act how marshall acted this year.

Fool? really ..... like I said if the market dictates it they deserve it.

You think baseball, a much less phyical with longer lifespan sport should have players that get 150MM in for sure money ??? the market decides what their worth. So fool ... I'd like to see you turn down your next raise because you should be happy making what you make. If you can live off of 15,000 a year should you just stop their?

Bottom line is they don't play for fun they play for money ....... they ALL do.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
So what's the point? You think Marshall will be here? won't be here?

If you do what is fair in the first place you don't have all this BS in the first place pay players early if the play and heath show them to be long term answers. this makes them way cheaper to to resign . two years ago both would of cost way less to lock up for long term .

Marshall was right about wanting more for what he did here .

TheDave
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM

God I hope so... I don't want to think of what happens if Marshall has to play another season for under $3mil.

Dude might punt a football right into Bowlen's face, then beat Annebel for good measure.

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Cutler Money IMO

In principal I agree with the idea that you lock up good players early -- then there is an incentive for them to take a home town deal as well. That said, Brandon's attitude and off the field problems have been a monkey wrench in the viability of that plan.

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
If you do what is fair in the first place you don't have all this BS in the first place pay players early if the play and heath show them to be long term answers. this makes them way cheaper to to resign . two years ago both would of cost way less to lock up for long term .

Marshall was right about wanting more for what he did here .

But you cannot ignore the risks with Brandon.

And you cannot assume that if a player signs a deal 2 years ago and continues to perform that he doesn't decide he's worth yet more money (Anquan Boldin).

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Why would you? If you franchise him you have to give him top 5 money, like 10M a year. If you tender him you only have to give him the $3M.

and that can blow up in you face and other teams know Marshall is going to be pissed to no end with a $3M they know he will not play for that.

you are talking a sour player if his contract is not reworked.

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
When you play like the best you should get paid like the best

are you really so dense that you dont understand that im saying that the BEST should not be getting paid as much as they do? try rereading the posts, again. its not one specific person, its everyone.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
But you cannot ignore the risks with Brandon.

And you cannot assume that if a player signs a deal 2 years ago and continues to perform that he doesn't decide he's worth yet more money (Anquan Boldin).

What has brandon done that is so risky ? Have spats with girl friends. Like you never have had one with yours right ?

Also that could of been how we could of had leverage 2 years ago now not so much...he would of been playing for less than the going average and still not been pissed. because we were the good guys and making sure he was paid even thought it was not top money.

oubronco
are you really so dense that you dont understand that im saying that the BEST should not be getting paid as much as they do? try rereading the posts, again. its not one specific person, its everyone.

i agree they get paid too much but you have to look at how long their careers last most don't last too long but I'm not saying I know the average %

TheDave

When you are both the product and the employee (see actors and athletes)... If your employer makes a lot of money, so do you.

It is what it is...

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Fool? really ..... like I said if the market dictates it they deserve it.

You think baseball, a much less phyical with longer lifespan sport should have players that get 150MM in for sure money ??? the market decides what their worth. So fool ... I'd like to see you turn down your next raise because you should be happy making what you make. If you can live off of 15,000 a year should you just stop their?

Bottom line is they don't play for fun they play for money ....... they ALL do.

this is not a typical economic market, not that you would know that. its not elastic, there is always someone who will pay the price to go to these games. not taht you would care, but most people are priced out of attending NFL games, much less taking their family, because for those 3 hours, it costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars. these athletes make their money from the fans, fans who will never see a fraction of what they make. so its ok for owners to charge fans out the ass and price most fans out of ever seeing a game in order to pay the ever rising costs of contracts that are getting ridiculous?

this isnt just NFL, its all sports. these guys make too much money, and it comes directly from the pocketbook of fans who have to keep dishing out more and more to go.

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:56 PM

great so I agree lets tell all our players we decided you are making to much god blessed money . ROFL!

~Crash~
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
this is not a typical economic market, not that you would know that. its not elastic, there is always someone who will pay the price to go to these games. not taht you would care, but most people are priced out of attending NFL games, much less taking their family, because for those 3 hours, it costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars. these athletes make their money from the fans, fans who will never see a fraction of what they make. so its ok for owners to charge fans out the ass and price most fans out of ever seeing a game in order to pay the ever rising costs of contracts that are getting ridiculous?

this isnt just NFL, its all sports. these guys make too much money, and it comes directly from the pocketbook of fans who have to keep dishing out more and more to go.

So the Broncos did not sell out ?

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
i agree they get paid too much but you have to look at how long their careers last most don't last too long but I'm not saying I know the average %

minimum NFL contract is like 360k, average NFL career ive heard is slightly over 3 years, like 3.1 but i dont know for sure. so these guys play for 1 year, make 360k and are out of the league, boo hoo for them?

im talking about the guys making 1 million or more every single sunday, like julius peppers and peyton manning. thats ridiculous and an athlete does not deserve that type of cash. but in that regard, i would rather they get it than a rookie, imagine what the #1 pick is gonna get this year.

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
When you are both the product and the employee (see actors and athletes)... If your employer makes a lot of money, so do you.

It is what it is...

the employer makes a lot of money because they charge a **** ton, the players get a percentage of all that income, and as contracts (a cost to the owners) rise, so will everything else to the users.

kamakazi_kal
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
minimum NFL contract is like 360k, average NFL career ive heard is slightly over 3 years, like 3.1 but i dont know for sure. so these guys play for 1 year, make 360k and are out of the league, boo hoo for them?

im talking about the guys making 1 million or more every single sunday, like julius peppers and peyton manning. thats ridiculous and an athlete does not deserve that type of cash. but in that regard, i would rather they get it than a rookie, imagine what the #1 pick is gonna get this year.

dude .... move to north korea.

TheDave
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
the employer makes a lot of money because they charge a **** ton, the players get a percentage of all that income, and as contracts (a cost to the owners) rise, so will everything else to the users.

They charge a "**** ton" because they can... If the broncos did not sell out then they would be forced to lower ticket prices. Thats not going to happen because there is a 20 year waiting list for tickets. According to a basic supply and demand curve they aren't charging enough.

TV Stations are tripping over themselves to offer the NFL even more money because of the ratings.

Look I get what you are saying... when a wife beating douche bag like Brandon Marshall makes 100X what a cop or teacher makes that feels wrong.

Unfortunately, according to business 101 the NFL makes billions because we are willing to pay the asking price. And if the owners are making X then the employees/product deserve their cut as well.

montrose
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM

You'd get a happier athlete at that point, that's why it'd be a possibility.

In principal I agree with the idea that you lock up good players early -- then there is an incentive for them to take a home town deal as well. That said, Brandon's attitude and off the field problems have been a monkey wrench in the viability of that plan.

The CBA's changed everything, not locking guys up is a league-wide issue right now because of it. If there were no labor problems, things would be a lot different although today's NFL business model is so different than just 10 years ago. Because of injuries and sudden-drops in production - many teams try to get the most they can from a player on a year-to-year contract basis to avoid locking in long-term deals, even at the risk of team chemistry. Guys like Dumervil, Wilfork, and others would've been wrapped up to new deals under the old model but today - you've got the guy's rookie contract, then a RFA tender year, then a franchise year all before you HAVE to lock him up long term. It's a shi**y premise for the players but it does make sense for the teams.

kamakazi_kal
01-21-2010, 01:07 PM

ha ha go tell a mcdonalds employee to take a paycut so my 69cent burger is 59cents. Serious ...... their only flipping burgers thats not worth 7 bucks an hour.

Rock Chalk
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
What has brandon done that is so risky ? Have spats with girl friends. Like you never have had one with yours right ?

Also that could of been how we could of had leverage 2 years ago now not so much...he would of been playing for less than the going average and still not been pissed. because we were the good guys and making sure he was paid even thought it was not top money.

Brandon is one incident away from an 8 game or 1 year suspension and given his track record he is high risk regardless of the severity of the incident.

Had he been a professional athlete OFF the field as well as on the field, Brandon would have been given fat money two years ago.

The fact remains the the dumbass cannot keep himself out of the bad spotlight for longer than 6 months at a time. IF you do not see the inherent risk in that, you are a bigger dumbass than even your moronic posts suggest you are.

Bronco LB52
01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
I want to see Marshall spend his entire career as a Bronco and then get inducted into the Pro Football HOF.

The Joker
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll be shocked if he ever plays another snap for Denver.

We'll trade him IMO.

DBroncos4life
01-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Cutler Money IMO

That brings up something I have been thinking about. Is the poison pill out of football? I know reports said that the Pats would use it on the the Phins to get Welker but ended up settling on a trade. If Pat Bowlen is hard up for money then Mike Shanahan would know it. With three of our key players being RFA's I what Mike could do to put even more pressure on us during the off-season. If he took Doom or Marshall away with the third over all pick knowing Pat can't pay for two top ten picks then he is straight up being ruthless.

NYBronco
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Trade Marshall and get what you can for him.

tsiguy96
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
That brings up something I have been thinking about. Is the poison pill out of football? I know reports said that the Pats would use it on the the Phins to get Welker but ended up settling on a trade. If Pat Bowlen is hard up for money then Mike Shanahan would know it. With three of our key players being RFA's I what Mike could do to put even more pressure on us during the off-season. If he took Doom or Marshall away with the third over all pick knowing Pat can't pay for two top ten picks then he is straight up being ruthless.

pat can pay for 2 1st round picks. it wouldnt increase the total amount we spend on players entirely, that particular player would get a LOT (but we would get a hell of a player as well)

gladly take washingtons 1st rounder and 4th for marshall.

bloodsunday
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
and that can blow up in you face and other teams know Marshall is going to be pissed to no end with a $3M they know he will not play for that.

you are talking a sour player if his contract is not reworked.

That's really the nature of the whole dilemma isn't it. Why pay the guy $10 as a franchise player when you could sign him to a long-term deal and give him $18M up front?

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM

i used to think that too. and if the Cutler trade showed anything, it is that potential and numbers will get a team or teams willing to overlook certain character flaws and flaws in a players game. The NFL is about results and the results in Brandon's case are he is one of the best receivers in the league. there will be at least 1 team willing to unload the necessary amount of picks to get him.

Beantown Bronco
01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Bump for Montrose, who created a duplicate thread even though he was the third to post in this one!

colonelbeef
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Why did the poll get closed so early?

Drek
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM

1. the Broncos could easily trade down from the #3. They might not get what some people find to be fair value, but I'm sure some team in the teens would give up a 2nd or 3rd to jump up. Its real easy to move down if you don't want chart value.

2. Outside of the top 5 the salaries are much, much lower. The #10 will probably have a cap number right about where the RFA tender for Marshall/Doom will be.

Doom will get locked up as soon as the Broncos are allowed. Orton maybe as well, but at a minimum he'll get an RFA tender of at least 1st round value. So will Kuper and Marshall.

I think it is infinitely more likely that Shanahan's first target from the Broncos will be Chris Kuper, not Marshall or Doom. I really like Kupe but it would be hard to turn down the 3rd pick in the 2nd round if that was offered for him.

montrose
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Bump for Montrose, who created a duplicate thread even though he was the third to post in this one!

I didn't like that this poll (other than "other) assumed Brandon only stays under a new deal when the most likely scenerio of his staying is that under the 1st and 3rd RFA tender. That's why I made a more simplified poll.

BroncoMan4ever
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Cutler Money IMO

bull**** on that money crap being why players are gone.

Shanahan is gone, because he was mediocre for a ****ing decade and an epic **** the bed scenario in 08 finally put an end to him in Denver. the NFL is about results and mediocrity will only be dealt with for so long before the owner cuts ties.

Cutler is gone because he is a ****ing emo baby that couldn't handle the pressure of a coach who wouldn't bend over backwards to kiss his ass, hold his hand and make him feel like the greatest thing to happen to the NFL, and instead was either going to push him to get better or get someone who would work in his system. he is the one who cried his way out of Denver because McDaniels hurt his feelings by taking a ****ing phone call, and then later wouldn't beg Cutler to forgive him and come back to the team

i will give you that Doom should have gotten a new deal at least a year ago.

Marshall on the other hand. no, his on field contributions are great, but his off field bull**** is what has kept him from getting paid. you don't pay a guy major cash if it is likely he is going to **** up again and end up watching the game for 8 games or a full season instead of helping the team win.