PDA

View Full Version : Pees a Good Fit

Hulamau
01-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Familiar signs point to Pees being picked
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

There's comfort level, and there's been-there, done-that, back-in-the-day comfort level.

That's what Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has with Dean Pees, who is the front-runner to be the team's new defensive coordinator.

But if familiarity is the difference, Pees has the inside track. When Pees was the head coach at Kent State, he tried to hire a legendary Ohio high school coach: Thom McDaniels, the father of Josh McDaniels. And the Denver coach's younger brother Ben, a current Broncos assistant, played quarterback

for Pees at the school.

McDaniels was working toward a decision Tuesday, a day after he and Mike Nolan parted company.

"We can continue to get better," Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil said. "I think we feel good about where we can go on defense, but no matter what the play call, the scheme, no matter who's here, we have to get it done. We want to be in the playoffs next season."

Pees, 60, was a longtime college coach whom Patriots coach Bill Belichick brought to the NFL as a linebackers coach in 2004. Pees was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2006, a position he left last week because his contract was up and he said he wanted to "pursue other opportunities."

Days later he is poised to become the fifth Denver defensive coordinator since the start of the 2006 season.

"I had the privilege of working with some great coaches and great players over the past six seasons, and leave the Patriots with some wonderful memories that will last a lifetime," Pees said upon his departure from New Eng-land. He termed it entering "free agency."

Pees would provide McDaniels a New England version of the 3-4 scheme that can adapt week to week to whatever opponent it faces. Because he worked with the multitasking Belichick, Pees is used to co-existing with a head coach who is heavily involved in all facets of the game planning.

Martindale, 46, joined McDaniels' staff before this past season. So he also understands how McDaniels conducts business.

McDaniels, who calls plays on offense for the Broncos, desires to be almost as involved in shaping the team's defensive scheme. Nolan, a longtime coordinator who also has NFL head coaching experience, expected to have more autonomy in directing the Broncos' defense.

After a meeting Monday, Nolan and McDaniels decided it was best for Nolan to move on. Nolan accepted a job as the Miami Dolphins' defensive coordinator Tuesday.

Denver's next defensive coordinator will inherit a defense that struggled at the point of attack in a 2-8 stumble down the stretch, finishing 26th against the run. Six of the Broncos' final 10 opponents rushed for at least 125 yards. Five topped 170 yards rushing, and three topped 200 yards as the Broncos surrendered at least 28 points in four of their last six losses.

Under Pees, the Patriots did not finish lower than eighth in the NFL in scoring defense in his four seasons as defensive coordinator and never allowed opponents to average more than 19.3 points a game. The 14.8 points allowed per game in 2006 set a franchise best for New Eng-land.

Just before the Patriots lost to the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs this month, Pees explained his defensive philosophy. "Every week it's a little different," he said. "I don't think we can sit here and say, 'This is what we're locked into. This is what we're going to do. This is definitely what we are.' It's really hard to really trick somebody at this level, where maybe at the college level you can trick a quarterback that's not very experienced."

( sounds like a perfect fit with Josh, hope we can get it done)

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14226418#ixzz0dEdFPMNX

Killericon
01-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I would be so, so very happy with Pees.

Popps
01-21-2010, 01:04 AM
I like that his strong point seems to be adjusting to offenses he's facing.

I really hope this happens.

Hulamau
01-21-2010, 01:19 AM
As the article suggests Josh and Dean look like two 'Pees' in a pod :-)

Would MUCH rather have a top light 3-4 DC who is proven in working in this system and knows and has worked well with Josh and vice versa, than another good DC, Nolan, that wants to run his own show and is not really in sync with the top guy andobviously would rather be somewhere else.

Why is that so hard for a few to figure out??

I know change is challenging for some among us, but why is it not surprising that the same relatively small cast of characters are always setting their hair on fire the moment any of these changes happen in Dove Valley?

The minority of you in this camp, do your cortisol balance (and the rest of us) a favor and breathe deeply a few times before posting another 'Demon McD' thread until you at least let the dust settle and find out what the hell is going on.

Some of the moves are surprising and controversial, no doubt, and its perfectly understandable to question them or doubt the wisdom of the move while keeping a wait and see attitude.

But whether its the Cutler deal, Marshall or now Nolan, so much needless, and so far, misplaced vitriol, Josh HATE and knee-jerk assumptions have proven to be premature and/or flat out wrong, that you'd think by now a few of the more reactionary characters here would have been chastened enough to at least let the story-line play out before shouting FIRE in the theater again and again!??

In any event get used to it as there are likely more big changes coming as Josh attempts to complete this run around and get everyone on the same page.

Hulamau
01-21-2010, 01:23 AM
I like that his strong point seems to be adjusting to offenses he's facing.

I really hope this happens.

Me too, we need a guy who can adapt each week. A point brought home this year as the D seemed to do precious little of that after week 6 when the rest of the league figured out our second-half miracle adjustment routine.

The MVPlaya
01-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Me too, we need a guy who can adapt each week. A point brought home this year as the D seemed to do precious little of that after week 6 when the rest of the league figured out our second-half miracle adjustment routine.

Even at that - the coaches said it wasn't much that they would tweak. I'd probably take that with a grain of salt but whatever it was, they figured us out. We had no real game tape the first few weeks - the other team didn't really know what to expect.

I know we won't adapt this with Pees but I'm surprised why more teams haven't adapted Rex Ryan's gap overload blitzes... these blitzes are as aggressive and killer as they come.

eddie mac
01-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Pees to bring Wilfork???

Man-Goblin
01-21-2010, 05:51 AM
I hope he's not a Pees of ****.

Man-Goblin
01-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Give Pees a chance.

WolfpackGuy
01-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Pees to bring Wilfork???

Yeah, really.

Last time I checked, Denver's current defensive line is light years behind the one in New England.

Man-Goblin
01-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Hopefully, he and Josh are like Pees and carrots. Or better yet, two Pees in a pod.

NYBronc
01-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Pees be unto you.

yerner
01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
New England fans are glad he is gone. They talk about him like he is Slowick.

TheDave
01-21-2010, 07:28 AM
New England fans are glad he is gone. They talk about him like he is Slowick.

It's not quite that bad... but you are right, when I checked out the Patriots board the overall feeling was "Good Riddance."

and the most common complaint was his inability to make half time adjustments. Oy vey!

Having said that, though keeping Nolan would have been my first choice... Pees replacing him is probably the safest option.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-21-2010, 07:40 AM
This whole thing -- Nolan leaving, Pees possibly coming in -- actually seems like it might end up being a good thing. I wonder how much pull Nolan had on draft decisions last year. I think it might have been a matter of trust. Hopefully McD has a trust for Pees that he didn't have with Nolan, and Pees can get some good stuff done.

Que
01-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Pees' of eight

Chris
01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Dude is the Pees' Knees.

BigPlayShay
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's hope he can put the right Pees' together, and bring Bronco fans pees and undertanding.

broncswin
01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Pees be unto you.

and also with you^5

Pony Boy
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Pass the Pees please

gyldenlove
01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
What I worry about is why did Pees choose not to resign with the Patriots? or did the Patriots choose not to resign with him?

If he chose to leave because of health issues why would he come back?

If chose to leave to get a better opportunity, why would he come to Denver?

If he was let go, then why?

There has been this assumption that we would sign with Pees, but will he sign with us?

bowtown
01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
What I worry about is why did Pees choose not to resign with the Patriots? or did the Patriots choose not to resign with him?

If he chose to leave because of health issues why would he come back?

If chose to leave to get a better opportunity, why would he come to Denver?

If he was let go, then why?

There has been this assumption that we would sign with Pees, but will he sign with us?

Exactly, when he left NE I heard a lot of speculation that his health issues were serious enough that he needed to step away from coaching. So then why would he suddenly about face and reup somewhere in the same capacity? I don't buy it. I don't think Pees is signing with us. I think it will be Martindale.

yerner
01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
It's not quite that bad... but you are right, when I checked out the Patriots board the overall feeling was "Good Riddance."

and the most common complaint was his inability to make half time adjustments. Oy vey!

Having said that, though keeping Nolan would have been my first choice... Pees replacing him is probably the safest option.

Yeah, I don't care about Nolan either really. Just listening to the Boston radio you don't get a great impression about Pees. At least Pees wouldn't be looking to get a head coach job. I've always been a fan of older coordinators with limited coaching ambitions. Like Jimmy Johnson or Monte Kiffin. However, I'm not a fan of what New England did on defense last year.

mr007
01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
n*gga pees! haha jk.

broncosteven
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
[SIZE="4"]
Just before the Patriots lost to the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs this month, [B]Pees explained his defensive philosophy. "Every week it's a little different," he said. "I don't think we can sit here and say, 'This is what we're locked into. This is what we're going to do. This is definitely what we are.' It's really hard to really trick somebody at this level, where maybe at the college level you can trick a quarterback that's not very experienced."

( sounds like a perfect fit with Josh, hope we can get it done)

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14226418#ixzz0dEdFPMNX

I like the above, I hope this guy is healty enough to sign up.

Bronco LB52
01-21-2010, 12:07 PM
**** that Patsie douche. I want Martindale.

NYBronc
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Child, pees.