PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Nolan exit not related to "blitzing"

Popps
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Hearing Broncos-Mike Nolan breakup had nothing to do with blitzing more or less. Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.

Figured Schefter's info deserved a thread, considering he's been the best source of Broncos info, maybe ever.

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Hearing Broncos-Mike Nolan breakup had nothing to do with blitzing more or less. Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.

Figured Schefter's info deserved a thread, considering he's been the best source of Broncos info, maybe ever.

Dude...but the food reviews. Oy veh that was bad.

supermanhr9
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Great post, Schefter is the man, I take his word on practically everything these days due to his history of accurate reports, year after year. I bet BJC is feeling pretty dumb right now.

Popps
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Yea, it's weird... Adam didn't mention anything about Napoleon Hitler telling Nolan what time he could use the potty.

Rohirrim
01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I'll accept Shefter and Lombardi's takes over anybody else's.

Broncoman13
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Actually I believe it had to do with Blizing and several other difference of opinions. McD believes in showing certain looks pre-snap and then changing on the fly (as ball is snapped) in order to confuse opposing offenses. Teddy Bruschi described this philosophy in detail. Prime example, showing a safety over the middle pre snap puts the QB in the mindset of a Cover Three. Just prior to the snap the safety slides over to give the CB help over the top or bracket coverage. This allows the CB to sit on routes and guys like Asante Samuel have made a killing with such looks. It is actually similar to what Shanny wanted and what Slowick ran in Denver. Ultimately it comes down to talent. If you don't have the talent it doesn't matter what scheme you are trying to run. This defense needs guys like Ayers and Smith to pan out and we need help along the DLine. Wilfork, Cody, McCoy, and a number of 3-4 ends should be the top priority. X spoke with Cecil today and told him the priority was getting stronger and more physical. X is at the Shrine Bowl looking at the talent. Cecil also said that while both BMarsh and the Big Tuna were there as well, the trade talk was only presumption rumors!

gyldenlove
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I would like to know what it did have to do with if it wasn't blitzing.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I would like to know what it did have to do with if it wasn't blitzing.

Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Just a thought, here... as good as a hire as Nolan was.... does anyone think McDaniels would have hired Nolan if Pees or Romeo C. were available?

Broncoman13
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Just a thought, here... as good as a hire as Nolan was.... does anyone think McDaniels would have hired Nolan if Pees or Romeo C. were available?

Romeo was available dipdong!

bpc
01-20-2010, 03:13 PM
And one can't deny, why would he be leaving in the first place? It's not like Nolan didn't have a shortage of options last year.

Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable. I don't think anybody will argue that McDaniels already has a rep for being hard to work with, hard headed, arrogant, and for backdooring people because he's afraid of confrontation. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the future.

Alas, in the end McD will have to answer for what the product on the field looks like. He better hope the replacement can do just a good job as Nolan did this year.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Stand corrected. He was released at the end of 2008. But, I can't recall the circumstances. (If he was interviewing, etc.)

It was a great move bringing Nolan in. I just wonder if it would have been his first choice, since he said himself they had never even met.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Stand corrected. He was released at the end of 2008. But, I can't recall the circumstances. (If he was interviewing, etc.)

It was a great move bringing Nolan in. I just wonder if it would have been his first choice, since he said himself they had never even met.

Former Browns coach Romeo Crennel, who underwent hip replacement surgery two months ago, said Monday he'll sit out the 2009 season.
"I decided the best thing for me to do is to take care of the hip and get it right rather than relocate and have to go through all of that,'' said Crennel.

Browns coach Eric Mangini wanted Crennel to work with the Browns in some capacity this season, but Crennel said, "Eric has to do his thing and run his program the way he wants to do it, and he deserves the opportunity to do that.''
Crennel said he wouldn't rule out re-joining the Browns staff in 2010. "We'll have to see what's available after this season,'' he said.

So, sounds like maybe he wasn't available.

Taco John
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Dom Capers was McDaniel's first choice.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable.

Incorrect.

You've never left a position for another position, simply because it was a better fit?

Change does not expressly imply a lack of tolerance.

That's your weird, twisted, obsessed brain ****ing with you.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Dom Capers was McDaniel's first choice.

Either would have been fine.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
It sounds like they just high-fived on the way out of the building, having come to a gentlemans agreement. They probably went out for beer afterwards to reminisce all the good times.

Requiem
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
There are a lot of reasons Nolan would have left on his own accord than not being able to co-exist with McDaniels.

bpc
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't think McD can work with an established guy. The chip on his shoulder won't let anybody else think they know better than he.

We're better off going with a small time guy, that way McD can bully him with his 33 years of life experience and push him towards what to do.

I'm pretty much sure that McD wanted Nolan to change his approach, didn't want to get punked by Mike in the process, and just waited for the season to end to backdoor him and get him out of town.

That's just a rough estimate, but that's how things have transpired with McD in these types of situations.

bpc
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
It sounds like they just high-fived on the way out of the building, having come to a gentlemans agreement. They probably went out for beer afterwards to reminisce all the good times.

"ahhhh, Josh, you remember that time in training camp when you tried to tell me how to run my nickel team and I told you to STFU and get the hell off my side of the practice field? Yeah.... those were the times..."

Rohirrim
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Did anybody ever consider maybe Nolan would rather live in Miami than Denver? I mean, I wouldn't do it. Too many bugs and the humidity sucks, but some people like that.

barryr
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
The McDaniel haters just want it to be that Nolan left because he hates McDaniels and thinks the organization is in shambles. Rooting for the team to fail is pathetic, but of course many people did that with our troops the last 8 years too. Hoping and rooting for failure so one can feel good about being right?

Boobs McGee
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
And one can't deny, why would he be leaving in the first place? It's not like Nolan didn't have a shortage of options last year.

Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable. I don't think anybody will argue that McDaniels already has a rep for being hard to work with, hard headed, arrogant, and for backdooring people because he's afraid of confrontation. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the future.

Alas, in the end McD will have to answer for what the product on the field looks like. He better hope the replacement can do just a good job as Nolan did this year.

Please, show us some evidence that supports you're theory.

gyldenlove
01-20-2010, 03:38 PM

There is more to it. You don't go and look for the same job you already have - you look for a better job, there is some reason why Miami is better than Denver for Nolan.

barryr
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
There is more to it. You don't go and look for the same job you already have - you look for a better job, there is some reason why Miami is better than Denver for Nolan.

Maybe Miami is better in that they don't have as many "fans" constantly calling for the coach's head on a daily basis for months.

jhns
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
This doesn't prove anything I have said wrong. McDaniels didn't want Nolan around anymore even though he did wonders for the defense. Nolan didn't want to work with McDaniels anymore and that means even McDaniels hand picked staff doesn't care to work with him after a single year. Hence, mutual split. You are right that Shefter is a great source. He is one of the few I actually listen to.

DenverBrit
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Parcells, agreement about defensive philosophy and the talent to execute comes to mind.

Popps
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Could be.

Could also be that the timing works out nicely for McDaniels.

All reports are that it wasn't contentious, so much as philosophical.

I'm not sure why people need it to be otherwise so badly. Actually, I'm pretty sure I know why.

UberBroncoMan
Until Adam Schefter proved to be wrong there's no reason for us to disregard his info. Personally I view him as the IT when it comes to Denver Broncos news and reporting.

It's like I thought. Clashing personalities that had no long term viability.

Popps
This doesn't prove anything I have said wrong. McDaniels didn't want Nolan around.

O.K. folks. Never mind what Shefter said. jhns has spoken.

I'll delete the thread.

jhns
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
O.K. folks. Never mind what Shefter said. jhns has spoken.

I'll delete the thread.

? Shefter said it. Are you saying a mutual split means McDaniels wants him here and Nolan wants to be here?

LOL

You are ridiculous.

eddie mac
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
What's the damn point in continuously going over this ****???

The same exact scenario occurs everytime something happens in Denver, you get your McDaniels supporters backing him and the ones who hate him, blaming every single thing on him.

I couldn't really give a **** anymore. It's actually come to the point where I wont read guys posts I used to love reading because they are just filled with pure pessimism/hatred.

Nolan's gone, regardless of the reasons. Get over it, dont annoy yourself cross-examining the rumours/reasons and basque in the anticipation of another offseason of continuous media bull**** until the real thing starts again next August/September.

Popps
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
? Shefter said it. Are you saying a mutual split means McDaniels wants him here and Nolan wants to be here?

Umm, no. That's not what I said.

Thanks.

BroncoMan4ever
01-20-2010, 04:16 PM
i tend to think Miami told him he would be in line to potentially take over as HC if he went there to be the DC.

strafen
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Yea, it's weird... Adam didn't mention anything about Napoleon Hitler telling Nolan what time he could use the potty.Where's the link for the whole article?

Popps
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Where's the link for the whole article?

Twitter isn't an article, boss.

Requiem
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Twitter is internet word sex in 150 characters or less. Suck it.

Lolad
01-20-2010, 04:30 PM

It doesn't matter why he left, they both had some type of spat or disagreement. That always seems to follow Mc Daniels.

Mr.Meanie
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
what's the damn point in continuously going over this ****???

The same exact scenario occurs everytime something happens in denver, you get your mcdaniels supporters backing him and the ones who hate him, blaming every single thing on him.

I couldn't really give a **** anymore. It's actually come to the point where i wont read guys posts i used to love reading because they are just filled with pure pessimism/hatred.

Nolan's gone, regardless of the reasons. Get over it, dont annoy yourself cross-examining the rumours/reasons and basque in the anticipation of another offseason of continuous media bull**** until the real thing starts again next august/september.

+1

NYBronco
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM

And I shall move on as well... Nolan who?

I am excited to learn of our new DC. Its all about making this team better with people that want to contribute and become a small part of a proud franchise.

DBroncos4life
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
i tend to think Miami told him he would be in line to potentially take over as HC if he went there to be the DC.

Why is Miami closer to firing of Tony Sparano then we are of McD?

strafen
01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
It doesn't matter why he left, they both had some type of spat or disagreement. That always seems to follow Mc Daniels.True to that!
3 coaches and counting. Players being shun by McDaniels, players wanting to leave, coaches leaving. It's not good.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a duck!

ShutDownPoster
01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Well at least we already transitioned to a 3-4 rather successfully considering our talent.

Popps
01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
True to that!
3 coaches and counting. Players being shun by McDaniels, players wanting to leave, coaches leaving. It's not good.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a duck!

It's possible. I'm certainly not ruling out that he's tough to work for.

Are you ruling out that like many great coaches, he might be a strong personality and that this sometimes comes with the territory?

Mike Shanahan basically ran Shannon Sharpe out of town.

Mike Shanahan brought in Dale Carter.

Mike Shanahan fired DCs almost yearly.

Ihop, Clarett, Javon Walker...etc..etc...

Do people just not remember the last 10 years?

McDaniels didn't invent controversy. We've seen it in Denver before.

Bronx33
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
So whats the concensus on this lastest conspiracy?

bigbucks24
01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Why is Miami closer to firing of Tony Sparano then we are of McD?

I've seen this mentioned in other threads and have yet to see an answer. Why would Nolan think he is HC-in-waiting in Miami? I haven't heard of a beef between Sparano and Parcells or Sparano and Ireland. I see more contriversy in Denver than I do in Miami.

Merlin
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike Shanahan fired DCs almost yearly
In over ten yrs coaching here I can only think of one (Bates) that was basically fired after one yr. And if there ever was a DC that deserved it, it was Bates. Rhodes was a coordinator for 2 yrs and resigned on his own accord. Since it was almost a yearly event, could you please just name 5 of them? It should be easy since Shanny was Denver's HC for over a decade.

I know you are not relying in excessive hyperbole to make a mediocre point, because that is not your style, so, please do give us 5 examples of DCs fired by Shanny after one year.

Merlin
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Why would Nolan think he is HC-in-waiting in Miami?
A better question is why would McD apologists believe that is a viable argument/supposition?

strafen
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
It's possible. I'm certainly not ruling out that he's tough to work for.

Are you ruling out that like many great coaches, he might be a strong personality and that this sometimes comes with the territory?

Mike Shanahan basically ran Shannon Sharpe out of town.

Mike Shanahan brought in Dale Carter.

Mike Shanahan fired DCs almost yearly.

Ihop, Clarett, Javon Walker...etc..etc...

Do people just not remember the last 10 years?

McDaniels didn't invent controversy. We've seen it in Denver before.That's not even a comparable scenario
Shanahan fired DC left and right. He didn't even gave them a chance to develop their system. Shanahan made all those DC his scape goats.
In the case of Nolan, there's no reason for him to leave.
To think that with another year the defense would have been even better makes this whole ordeal hard to swallow.

Our offense has regressed. Our defense is now in a position to where we don't know what we've got.
We didn't have a whole lot of talent. I'm a firm believer our defense improvement this past season had more to do with the system and philosophy brought in by Nolan than with the talent we've had.

Now, you've got to consider going into the draft we've got to fill even more holes on the team than we've had going into the draft last year.
We now have to bring defensive players and offensive players, particularly on the receiving side of the offense.
There's no reason for us to go into the draft to look for receivers in the 1st round when in reality that has not been a weak phase of our team.
What this team has need for is defensive players.
Drafting players is what buys a HC time to build a team.
The way McDaniels has approached this situation is with a win now mentality.
And we know how well that went. It you don't win, you're forced to go backwards before you can go forward

So, you need to step back and look at the whole picture.
And what you're going to see is a team that has 3 key coaching vacancies to fill. This will put our players back to square one as well. We took one step forward, and took one step back.
So, instead of McDaniels having an extra year under his belt in developing and building his team, he's now no better off than he was at the beginning of last year.

The only thing he would have going for him is his offense, which was not that great to start with, or at least failed to meet expectations, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt that his offense would take time to develop -albeit a new OL coach- but you can't say the same for the defense, OL, RB's.

See it any way you want to see it, the fact is we're standing on shaking grounds right now. Major changes will have taken place by August this year before we can assess where we stand...

Popps
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I know you are not relying in excessive hyperbole to make a mediocre point, because that is not your style, so, please do give us 5 examples of DCs fired by Shanny after one year.

Shanahan let go of several DCs. One after one year. Then hired a crappy one who failed miserably, and then committed to keeping him.

I can give you multiple, yearly examples of bizarre, controversial happenings during the Shanahan admin.

He's my favorite Broncos coach ever, obviously. But, people are acting like controversy is NEW to the McDaniels staff. It's like these people have been sleeping for the past 10 seasons as Shanahan was giving guys lie detector tests and dumping Shannon Sharpe so we could sign Dale Carter.

My point isn't that parting with Nolan is EXACTLY like ONE SINGLE incident during the Shanny era. The point is that this hand-wringing and panicking about losing a DC as if we've NEVER see ANYTHING like it is ****ing ignorant.

kmartin575
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM

No he wasn't. He was offered the job in KC last year but due to his hip surgery he wouldn't have been available until june which the team believed was too late so they went another direction for last year.

Merlin
01-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Shanahan let go of several DCs. One after one year.
Oh, so you can't give more than one example of a DC being fired after one year, even though it was almost a yearly occurrence according to. As usual, you BS and exaggerate to defend a stupid claim. Nicely done...blind support is a wonderful thing.

hades
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I think Nolan left because of the weather, too cold in Colorado for him. Fl is nice and toasty warm.

Popps
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh, so you can't give more than one example of a DC being fired after one year.

Jim Bates. I believe we had 4 DCs in a period of like 5 yeas?

Beyond that, it wasn't specifically that this ONE PARTICULAR SITUATION mirrored Nolan so much as the fact that controversy was a REGULAR part of Broncos fans lives for the past 10 seasons. Turmoil is absolutely nothing new.

Again, I'm not sure why we're suddenly acting so shocked by a coordinator leaving. We've dealt with this kind of **** (of one sort or another) on a regular basis for years, now.

Drek
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I've seen this mentioned in other threads and have yet to see an answer. Why would Nolan think he is HC-in-waiting in Miami? I haven't heard of a beef between Sparano and Parcells or Sparano and Ireland. I see more contriversy in Denver than I do in Miami.

McDaniels is one year into his tenure here. Sparano just finished year two with a significant decline from the first.

Sparano was a yes man hire that Parcells and Ireland knew. Its kind of like how everyone claims Josh is all about nepotism and hiring his pals only its what they actually did, not just the bull**** some people on here like to make up about McDaniels.

When they want a real coach someone like Nolan would be a good fit. Even if they didn't it gives Nolan a better launching pad to other HC jobs because 1. its on the east coast 2. its under Parcells and 3. the case where Sparano isn't replaced is the Dolphins succeeding, at which point he is much more marketable to other teams.

Its a perfect fit for Nolan if he wants to get back into being a head coach, as opposed to here where Josh has been vocal about his involvement with the D, both in terms of personnel and strategic theory. If the Broncos succeed its because of Josh McDaniels first, Mike Nolan at best second. If the Dolphins succeed and its largely on the back of a good defense Nolan gets a ton more credit.

Not to mention that should that happen he's then hyped up as a Parcells disciple with HC experience. Its a pretty fancy bullet point to have on your resume.

bloodsunday
01-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Don't stand corrected. Romeo declined any jobs last year because of his hip surgery. He was pseudo unavailable. If we would have been interested, we would have had competition for Romeo as it appears KC had their eye on him the whole time.

Hulamau
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Sounds reasonable could be a win-win all around.

Hulamau
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM

LOL

You are ridiculous.

No numbskull, it means both guys had other options that worked for them and they mutually decided to roll with them. Mike has had his eyes on getting a HC job again as soon as he was fired from SF. He also likely will have more autonomy with the D there as well. And he wasn't likely to get one here anytime soon. If the Broncos crashed so hard that Josh was fired Nolan would be cannon fodder too and knows it.

At Miami [perhaps he has a better shot of succeeding Sparano or bouncing to a new team as coach. Maybe he's getting paid more jack as well.

Who knows could have happened any number of ways without it meaning anything close to what you project.

Saw an opportunity presented it to Josh, Josh had some other options too he is apparently very comfortable with and said go for it! Shook hands and parted in an amicable way... Happens all the time in business and the NFL.

Could easily have been as simple as that. But I know that is so hard for the drama queen brigade around here to grasp... Carry on if it brings some sense of self righteous outrage to your day to always twist everything into and Dr. Evil McD story..