PDA

View Full Version : PFT says it was Nolan's choice to leave

Flex Gunmetal
01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Again, it's pft. Take from it what you will.

Report: Nolan left Denver after Dolphins sought permission to interview him
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 8:06 PM ET
The sudden departure of defensive coordinator Mike Nolan from the Broncos raised plenty of eyebrows around the league.

Why would Nolan want out of Denver? And why would Broncos coach Josh McDaniels let him go?

Steve Wyche of NFL.com has some answers. But, as is often the case in matters of this nature, the answers only give rise to more questions.

Per Wyche, the Dolphins submitted to the Broncos a written request to interview Nolan. McDaniels then asked Nolan whether he prefers to be with the Broncos or the Dolphins, and Nolan chose the Dolphins.

So McDaniels and the Broncos let him walk.

But how exactly did Nolan know that he'd get the job in Miami? And why in the hell would the Dolphins submit a request to interview Denver's defensive coordinator for the very same job in Miami?

Usually, such requests are made when the position would entail a promotion, like when McDaniels allowed offensive line coach Rick Dennison to leave Denver to become the offensive coordinator of the Texans, or when McDaniels eventually decided to allow running backs coach Bobby Turner to augment his position with the title of associate head coach in D.C.

So we're supposed to believe that the Dolphins took a shot in the dark in the hopes the Broncos would allow Nolan to make a lateral move to a team with which Denver potentially competes every year for wild-card positioning and/or home-field advantage, and Nolan took a leap of faith that by walking from the Broncos he'd have an equivalent job in Miami.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins contacted Nolan to work out a tentative deal, if Miami could persuade the Broncos to let Nolan walk. Of course, that would be tampering, but the Broncos apparently didn't have the desire to claim that the Dolphins had unauthorized contact with Nolan.

Even if that's precisely what occurred.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/report-nolan-left-denver-after-dolphins-sought-permission-to-interview-him/
Hopefully it's not a repost.

R8R H8R
01-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Again, it's pft. Take from it what you will.

Report: Nolan left Denver after Dolphins sought permission to interview him
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 8:06 PM ET
The sudden departure of defensive coordinator Mike Nolan from the Broncos raised plenty of eyebrows around the league.

Why would Nolan want out of Denver? And why would Broncos coach Josh McDaniels let him go?

Steve Wyche of NFL.com has some answers. But, as is often the case in matters of this nature, the answers only give rise to more questions.

Per Wyche, the Dolphins submitted to the Broncos a written request to interview Nolan. McDaniels then asked Nolan whether he prefers to be with the Broncos or the Dolphins, and Nolan chose the Dolphins.

So McDaniels and the Broncos let him walk.

But how exactly did Nolan know that he'd get the job in Miami? And why in the hell would the Dolphins submit a request to interview Denver's defensive coordinator for the very same job in Miami?

Usually, such requests are made when the position would entail a promotion, like when McDaniels allowed offensive line coach Rick Dennison to leave Denver to become the offensive coordinator of the Texans, or when McDaniels eventually decided to allow running backs coach Bobby Turner to augment his position with the title of associate head coach in D.C.

So we're supposed to believe that the Dolphins took a shot in the dark in the hopes the Broncos would allow Nolan to make a lateral move to a team with which Denver potentially competes every year for wild-card positioning and/or home-field advantage, and Nolan took a leap of faith that by walking from the Broncos he'd have an equivalent job in Miami.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins contacted Nolan to work out a tentative deal, if Miami could persuade the Broncos to let Nolan walk. Of course, that would be tampering, but the Broncos apparently didn't have the desire to claim that the Dolphins had unauthorized contact with Nolan.

Even if that's precisely what occurred.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/report-nolan-left-denver-after-dolphins-sought-permission-to-interview-him/
Hopefully it's not a repost.

This seems like the most likely scenario to me. Just wondering, could McD have insisted on a draft pick? Or is that now not allowed?

NFLBRONCO
01-20-2010, 12:28 AM
They'd give Bill Parcells a pass anyways on tampering even though it sure sounds like it.

Bronco Yoda
01-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Of course they did. But how are you going to prove it?

Kaylore
01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
This seems like the most likely scenario to me. Just wondering, could McD have insisted on a draft pick? Or is that now not allowed?

It is not allowed. No trading for players. Word around town, FYI, is that neither coach like the others' style very much and both felt like it was inevitable and chose to end their professional relationship amicably. Haters will tell you that Nolan hates McDaniels and Nolan is running for his life or some such garbage. The truth is that both guys can tell they're on different pages for a lot of things with the team and would prefer to part ways.

Taco John
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Either way, Nolan had to have been making it clear that he wanted out. Otherwise, why would Miami bother to risk any of it?

ZONA
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Cya Nolan. Don't want to be here then we don't want your sorry team jumping ass. Hope you get sunburnt down there and may the Dolphins defense choke next year.

Seriously, I'm tired of this crap. If you don't want to be in Denver then don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Denver is an awesome place and the Broncos are a great franchise. They can find more coaches and players who DO want to be here.

Drek
01-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Either way, Nolan had to have been making it clear that he wanted out. Otherwise, why would Miami bother to risk any of it?

Because teams basically never get caught for tampering. Its happened once recently, when the player they tampered with went back to his original team and therefore would willingly verify that he was contacted prematurely.

Ever wonder how all these big FAs sign just minutes past midnight when FA opens?

Parcells likely made it quite clear to Nolan that he was high on his list for 2010 should Sparano have another uninspiring season, and that an extra year running their defense would only help with that case. With Nolan being told that and knowing that McDaniels is here through 2011 at least why in the world would he stay here if he ever wants to be a head coach again?

Its a perfect setup for Nolan to transition back into a head coach position.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-20-2010, 04:56 AM
McD thinks so little of Nolan that he believes his chances of success are improved by a continuation of the perpetual DC carousel.

Nolan cannot tolerate McD to the point that after one season he jumps for a lateral move.

Or both.

Either way, it sucks dog balls.

TheDave
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
It is not allowed. No trading for players. Word around town, FYI, is that neither coach like the others' style very much and both felt like it was inevitable and chose to end their professional relationship amicably. Haters will tell you that Nolan hates McDaniels and Nolan is running for his life or some such garbage. The truth is that both guys can tell they're on different pages for a lot of things with the team and would prefer to part ways.

The concern there is that Noan's "style" took the worst defense any of us have seen and elevated it to top 10 status... I'm not sure how McD can disagree with those results.

I think some continuity would have done this team a lot of good.

521 1N5
01-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Good. Bye. Anyone who doesn't want to be here with the new way of doing things GTFO. I don't want a HC and a DC who aren't on the same page for years to come just cause we had a good first half of 1 season.

bendog
01-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Imo it was really about philosophy and control. Tiny wanted more control than Nolan thought the deal was going to be, and Nolan was uncomfortable with his chances of success if Tiny was more involved. Mia offered the job to two other people last week, including Al Groh, but they turned it down. You'd have to be naive to think that Nolan and Groh don't talk to each other.

Now it's up to Tiny to put a defense on the field. He's got the guy he supposedly wants. We'll see. Not as big a deal as this board makes it out to be.

ps, from Nolan's history he doesn't really have "a style." he's a pro coach who adopts schemes that suit what talent he has. And denver doesn't have much talent.

Gob
01-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Either way I am officially taking back my props to McDaniels for how he assembled the coaching staff last year. Apparently Nolan was the choice since they have the same agent (this year hopefully the reasoning will be more then "he was a patriot!"), and now 3 coaches are gone this offseason because they didn't fit.

bendog
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
To be fair, Tiny was saddled with Dennison and Turner because of PR. First Bates and then Lambchop. And people were going "but the offense wasn't what was broke." Both Dennison and Turner ended up with good gigs, though Tiny was initially classless in letting Turner rejoin Shanny. I don't really know enough about Mia's upside to have an opinion whether Nolan is getting a good gig. I'd guess that Parcells has a good chance of upgrading personnel

WolfpackGuy
01-20-2010, 08:42 AM
To be fair, Tiny was saddled with Dennison and Turner because of PR. First Bates and then Lambchop. And people were going "but the offense wasn't what was broke." Both Dennison and Turner ended up with good gigs, though Tiny was initially classless in letting Turner rejoin Shanny. I don't really know enough about Mia's upside to have an opinion whether Nolan is getting a good gig. I'd guess that Parcells has a good chance of upgrading personnel

At least Nolan's new team's QB (Henne) can throw it farther than 25 yards with accuracy.

Beantown Bronco
01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
though Tiny was initially classless in letting Turner rejoin Shanny.

Classless? How? By forcing them to give him a better title with potentially more money? Yup, definitely classless.

I'm sure Turner is real ticked off about that.

bendog
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
they got Joey Porter and Jason Taylor.

Rohirrim
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Don't let the door hit ya, ahole.

kamakazi_kal
01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I just can't help but wonder why everyone is just taking off.

Gob
01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I just can't help but wonder why everyone is just taking off.

It has been explained that it is just an continual series of coincidences that has nothing to do with how McDaniels runs things or his personality. In fact, it is actually Shanny's fault because he got so much out of bad talent and kept diva personalities hidden so that we didn't know what crappy basketcases we had on our team. Shanny also must have had blackmail information that kept coaches under him from actively seeking out lateral moves, and since McDaniels doesn't, it unfairly makes him look bad in contrast.

strafen
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Why is it that coaches want to leave, and players don't want to play for McDaniels?
How long is it going to take for him to get all of his boys scout troops on the team?

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
It's obvious tampering and th eleague should investigate including phone records.

kamakazi_kal
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
It has been explained that it is just an continual series of coincidences that has nothing to do with how McDaniels runs things or his personality. In fact, it is actually Shanny's fault because he got so much out of bad talent and kept diva personalities hidden so that we didn't know what crappy basketcases we had on our team. Shanny also must have had blackmail information that kept coaches under him from actively seeking out lateral moves, and since McDaniels doesn't, it unfairly makes him look bad in contrast.

I hope your being sarcastic.

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM

I think it has everything to do with McDaniels. It's not a democracy. It's a dictatorship and he's the dictator. He'll learn.

NFLBRONCO
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
While everybody could be right some it might be the talant on each D that was part of the decision. Our D has much more work to do.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Shanny also must have had blackmail information that kept coaches under him from actively seeking out lateral moves, and since McDaniels doesn't, it unfairly makes him look bad in contrast.

Sarcasm or not, the team probably would have been better for it if those guys were looking for other jobs. Except for Dennison and Turner, Shanahan's final staff was absolute ****.

bendog
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Bates did a nice job, imo. he didn't lack for offers, at any rate.

Wasn't Watson on the staff. Whatever happened to the former corner, spencer? they were grooming for a secondary coach.

The defensive staff was abysmial, I agree

Gob
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I hope your being sarcastic.

I am. Although that seems to me to be a slightly exaggerated example of arguments I have heard around here.

ZONA
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Either way I am officially taking back my props to McDaniels for how he assembled the coaching staff last year. Apparently Nolan was the choice since they have the same agent (this year hopefully the reasoning will be more then "he was a patriot!"), and now 3 coaches are gone this offseason because they didn't fit.

OMG are you ignorant? Really? Dennison is now an OC instead of a line coach. Turner is back with his good buddy of more then 15 years and has a new position as well and probably more security. Nolan is the only coach who left because of differences. So to answer your question. No 3 coaches didn't leave beacuse they didn't fit. Seriously, you didn't know why Dennison and Turner left or something? If you knew, how could you make the post you did?

Rock Chalk
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
The concern there is that Noan's "style" took the worst defense any of us have seen and elevated it to top 10 status... I'm not sure how McD can disagree with those results.

I think some continuity would have done this team a lot of good.

That's a fair point, but is it also not fair to say that McD wanted a style that Nolan was uncomfortable running? The style he prefer's is more akin to what NE did during the SB years and that was a fine defense.

Nolan's defense, whether it was predicated more on his style or on McDs, was not run very well the last 10 games of the season. Call it lack of talent, call it lack of adjustment, call it philosophical differences, but the facts are facts, the defense got progressively worse over the course of the season with few exceptions.

Looking at those last 10 games, the defense looked eerily similar to what we saw in 2008 under Slowik. 25.8 ppg is well, not going to win you very many ball games, even if you have a fantastic offense. San Diego is the ONLY team in the NFL that scored 20+ points in every single game. Not New Orleans, not Indy (even not Indy before they rested their starters), not Minny, not anyone else.

So, with our ho-hum offense, 25.8 points per game spelled doom and would have spelled doom for a good majority of the teams in the NFL.

I agree, some stability would have been a welcome change, but if two guys dont mesh, they dont mesh. What can you do?

Gob
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
OMG are you ignorant? Really? Dennison is now an OC instead of a line coach. Turner is back with his good buddy of more then 15 years and has a new position as well and probably more security. Nolan is the only coach who left because of differences. So to answer your question. No 3 coaches didn't leave beacuse they didn't fit. Seriously, you didn't know why Dennison and Turner left or something? If you knew, how could you make the post you did?

OMG! They (Dennison and Turner) were expected to be gone before any actual job openings came up at all due to the hybrid scheme not working, McDaniels wants to make a complete movement to the scheme he is familiar with on the O-line. At least according to the Post. I bet you can find posts on here before any job offers that predicted they would be gone also, due to bad fit for where McDaniels wants to go with the O-line.

jhns
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree, some stability would have been a welcome change, but if two guys dont mesh, they dont mesh. What can you do?

Maybe not hire the guy in the first place? If it was system differences, how is that an excuse for this parting? McD didn't know what he was getting? Him and Nolan didn't talk about this? It isn't like they even needed to, Nolan has been around forever. His system shouldn't be a secret. If it is that they just don't get along then that isn't a good excuse either.

Maybe McDaniels should take a page out of Cutlers book and actually sit in on his coordinators interviews.

Florida_Bronco
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
That's a fair point, but is it also not fair to say that McD wanted a style that Nolan was uncomfortable running? The style he prefer's is more akin to what NE did during the SB years and that was a fine defense. See that's exactly what I was telling folks a couple days ago. Nolan has always run a read and react defense and Josh had him run a more aggressive blitzing scheme like the Patriots have run.

That aggressive defense is what was so effective early on in the season, and it's what we'll be running from here on out.

Florida_Bronco
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Maybe not hire the guy in the first place? If it was system differences, how is that an excuse for this parting? McD didn't know what he was getting? Him and Nolan didn't talk about this? It isn't like they even needed to, Nolan has been around forever. His system shouldn't be a secret. If it is that they just don't get along then that isn't a good excuse either.

Maybe McDaniels should take a page out of Cutlers book and actually sit in on his coordinators interviews.

Dom Capers is the guy that McD originally wanted for the DC spot. When Capers chose Green Bay I imagine McD felt like Nolan was the next best option.

Maybe he thought Nolan would adjust better. Maybe Nolan thought he did too. Who knows?

SoCalBronco
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Cya Nolan. Don't want to be here then we don't want your sorry team jumping ass. Hope you get sunburnt down there and may the Dolphins defense choke next year.

Seriously, I'm tired of this crap. If you don't want to be in Denver then don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

This reminds me of recruitniks who say losing a 5-star is not a big deal because "that kid didn't want to be here". It arises from the mentality that we're somehow better than other teams, or that people who want to be here will automatically be better than those who don't, or that "desire to be a Bronco" somehow trumps competence. I don't give a flying **** who "wants to be here"...what I'm interested in is talented coaches and players. We're not better than anyone else and losing a good coach IS a big deal. If you are expecting Nolan or anyone else to just forget about the concerns he has and just say to himself "oh gosh darn, well at least I'm a Bronco and that's whats important" then you're on acid.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
This reminds me of recruitniks who say losing a 5-star is not a big deal because "that kid didn't want to be here". It arises from the mentality that we're somehow better than other teams, or that people who want to be here will automatically be better than those who don't, or that "desire to be a Bronco" somehow trumps competence. I don't give a flying **** who "wants to be here"...what I'm interested in is talented coaches and players. We're not better than anyone else and losing a good coach IS a big deal. If you are expecting Nolan or anyone else to just forget about the concerns he has and just say to himself "oh gosh darn, well at least I'm a Bronco and that's whats important" then you're on acid.

The superfan police have officially served you with notice that this type of thought is a crime. Please surrender your card and STFU. :welcome:

broncosteven
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM

I wonder if the fact that neither liked the others style contributed to the 2-8 slide. Hard to be succesful when you are on a different page from a co-worker/boss.

gtown
01-20-2010, 07:59 PM
We better spend some money on the D in FA this year. Nolan got more out of our D in the first six games with some aggressive blitzing, but our lack of talent up front was obvious in the second half. I would like to see us not blitz as much but if we don't have the horses, we are gonna have to gamble like we did this year. Regardless, Nolan or not, our D will suck without good players.

Florida_Bronco
01-20-2010, 07:59 PM

This could cut both ways. Yeah you need talented players and coaches, but what difference does it make in this situation if the DC doesn't want to run the defense that the HC has installed? It seems pretty obvious at this point that Nolan doesn't like the defense we had success with, so what is the point in keeping him?

Nolan is a very good DC, but he's not the only good DC in the league and it's not like we're going to see another scheme change.

broncosteven
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
The superfan police have officially served you with notice that this type of thought is a crime. Please surrender your card and STFU. :welcome:

The good thing is that after this latest Drama outbreak the Superfan Police force is down to about 4 members.