PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins hire Nolan...

TheDave
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/dolphins-hire-nolan/

Yesterday at this time, Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Today, he's the defensive coordinator of the Dolphins.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the deal is done.

It's still not clear why Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels mutually decided to part ways. But, apparently, Nolan had a bird in the hand before he bolted from the Broncos.

Is it just me or does this seem a little strange how fast this happened?

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Yesterday at this time, Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

It's still not clear why Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels mutually decided to part ways. But, apparently, Nolan had a bird in the hand before he bolted from the Broncos.

Hard to believe it all happened in the last 24 hours.

SonOfLe-loLang

Yeah, i thought there might be some tampering too.

Rohirrim
Parcells.

HEAV
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Phins wanted to talk to Nolan last week, Broncos declined, Nolan got pissed...he later mets with McDaniels and states his unhappiness with not being allowed to interview...They decide to split and now Nolan is in Miami and can tan naturally in the sun 24/7

Denver moves on with Pees and trying to get better in 2010.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
In less than 24 hours he parts ways with Denver... Flies to Miami... interviews... negotiates a contract... and signs.

Something doesn't smell right...

DenverBrit
01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
In less than 24 hours he parts ways with Denver... Flies to Miami... interviews... negotiates a contract... and signs.

Something doesn't smell right...

No sh*t!!

http://homesanctuary.typepad.com/rachelanne/images/2008/03/25/istock_000005445187xsmall.jpg

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd file tampering charges. It's obvious it happened regardless of the proof or not.

The Joker
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
"Yeah Bill, I'll take the job. Give me a couple of days to find a way to get out of Denver."

Words blatantly used by Mike Nolan in the last week or so.

Disappointing that he's left like this, thought he had a bit more class.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Too bad they didn't do this a week ago. We could have taken a shot at Romeo.

worm
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
If this was planned by the Phins for awhile...why then would the Dolphins have offered the job to Butler earlier this week?...only for him to reject them on Fri.

I know ya'll want there to be tampering but maybe the Phins are just moving fast when given this gift of a DC on the open market.

no-pseudo-fan
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Is not love not unlike the unlikly not it is unliking to?

PRBronco
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Is not love not unlike the unlikly not it is unliking to?

Sounds like a question from Josina's exclusive Peyton Hillis interview.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Do we have to throw in any draft picks?

(I stole that from Wolf) ;D

bendog
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Just maybe Parcells knows more about football than lil Josh, and jumped on Nolan faster well ..... hey I don't beleive the rumors about Parcells going both ways, and no way the son of Mike Nolan goes for that stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

bpc
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Nolan's good enough for Bill, but McD thinks he stinks.

Awesome.

NFLBRONCO
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice Hire for my second fav team

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Nice Hire for my second fav team

Ahh, how cute. :sunshine:

worm
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
This hire happened quicker than the time it took the Redskins to draft Orakpo after begging to trade up with Denver.

NFLBRONCO
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Ahh, how cute. :sunshine:

Actually has been my 2nd fav team as long as I rooted for my favorite team.

meangene
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
This whole thing was orchestrated by Parcells and Nolan before yesterday. I guarantee there was tampering. I also see him as the coach in waiting if the Phins don't meet expectations next year. Realistically, Nolan's contract was up with us next year and he clearly wanted to go where he had more autonomy and a chance to be a head coach again quicker. So, do we cut the ties now and move forward or keep an unhappy coach around for another year only to delay the inevitable? Nolan did a nice job this season but I think the personnel moves had much to do with that. I really don't see McDaniels as the bad guy here. If he really just wanted him gone he could have fired him or given him permission to talk to these other teams earlier. Clearly Nolan wanted out for his own career reasons. McDaniels had a choice and he made it.

bpc
01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
This whole thing was orchestrated by Parcells and Nolan before yesterday. I guarantee there was tampering. I also see him as the coach in waiting if the Phins don't meet expectations next year. Realistically, Nolan's contract was up with us next year and he clearly wanted to go where he had more autonomy and a chance to be a head coach again quicker. So, do we cut the ties now and move forward or keep an unhappy coach around for another year only to delay the inevitable? Nolan did a nice job this season but I think the personnel moves had much to do with that. I really don't see McDaniels as the bad guy here. If he really just wanted him gone he could have fired him or given him permission to talk to these other teams earlier. Clearly Nolan wanted out for his own career reasons. McDaniels had a choice and he made it.

This sounds just like the conspiracy-theorists when they claimed Cutler wanted out, Cook was planting seeds, etc.

"This whole thing was orchestrated by Cutler and Cook after the season was over to get more money." Exact same argument. Imagine that.

"Cutler had three years left on his contract and wanted to get paid... plus he never really wanted to be in Denver."

"So we cut ties with this crybaby who doesn't want to be here and delay the inevitable?"

Everybody is wrong, Jack McDaniels is just a team guy and everybody is trying to screw him!

"McDaniels had a choice and he made it."

Laughable. What's the reoccuring theme to these remarks? Nobody wants to be around McDaniels?

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
ignoring pretty much everything bpc ever says, hte fact that this took less then 24 hours from start to finish clearly shows nolan had something up his sleeve.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
This is a lateral move for him... Why would he want out so bad?

gyldenlove
01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
ignoring pretty much everything bpc ever says, hte fact that this took less then 24 hours from start to finish clearly shows nolan had something up his sleeve.

Maybe he was just preparing because he knew his time was up - if we were talking to Crennel then Nolan did well in preparing for a rainy day.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Nolan's good enough for Bill, but McD thinks he stinks.

Awesome.

You need help.

jhns
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Reading what people say about Nolan is making me laugh. Everyone is out to get us while McD is just an innocent bystander in all of these situations. Funny stuff.

Broncos4tw
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Preparing stuff ahead of time without talking with parties that might need to know? Huh.. maybe McDaniels taught Nolan something after all!

I think they both knew for awhile though. I don't care about that. I am still interested in the why.

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Reading what people say about Nolan is making me laugh. Everyone is out to get us while McD is just an innocent bystander in all of these situations. Funny stuff.

do you just selectively read ****, or do you read what everyone says, then make up a completely different story in your own brain about what you just read?

Pony Boy
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Nolan got pissed...

McDaniel's got pees...

bpc
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe he was just preparing because he knew his time was up - if we were talking to Crennel then Nolan did well in preparing for a rainy day.

Thank you!

People assume that if something was up, NOLAN was the one scheming. What about McDaniels? When has Mike ever been charged with deceit and acting in violation of his co-workers?

None.

McDaniels has been charged with that, or attached to controversy since he got here.

A tiger can't change his stripes, and look, here we are again, at the zoo.

bpc
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
You need help.

My franchise needs help. I don't know what we did to deserve this.

jhns
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
do you just selectively read ****, or do you read what everyone says, then make up a completely different story in your own brain about what you just read?

Depends on the day.

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

there is sooooo many teams who would do anything to trade the future of their franchise for the future of this one its not even funny.

bendog
01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
If lil Josh was feeling out Romeo last week, it wasn't Nolan doing the scheming. I hope it works out for Nolan since he thought this gig was the right one to get back into coaching, and despite him doing a better job with the personnel than most experts thought possible, apparantly this was not the place for him.

Lil Josh has every right to get his staff assembled, but this looks like another very unclassy move, and this was a classy franchise for a long time.

Popps
01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
You need help.

He really does. I was joking before, but it's actually moving from annoying, to funny... and now into sad territory. Dude ain't right.

Popps
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Ahhh... you're the same goof that told us we'd be trash without Shanahan (wrong) and trash without Cutler (wrong) because Cutler would have a great season in Chicago. (wrong)

So, forgive us if we don't buy into your latest gloom and doom predictions, troll-boy.

You couldn't hit the side of a ****ing barn, dude.

bpc
01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
there is sooooo many teams who would do anything to trade the future of their franchise for the future of this one its not even funny.

Tell me more! Who? And why?

I'm eager to hear your response.

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Tell me more! Who? And why?

I'm eager to hear your response.

bills
raiders
lions
browns
SOME chief fans, most think they are going to SB every year
rams
jacksonville

if any of these need explanations as to why, it wont matter because you clear bias against the broncos will tell you that we are the worst team i the nfl and are bound for another (huh) 3-13 season, right?

bpc
01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Ahhh... you're the same goof that told us we'd be trash without Shanahan (wrong) and trash without Cutler (wrong) because Cutler would have a great season in Chicago. (wrong)

So, forgive us if we don't buy into your latest gloom and doom predictions, troll-boy.

You couldn't hit the side of a ****ing barn, dude.

Seems you're annoiting Jack McDaniels a victor after just one year.

We took the playmaking heart out of our offense and replaced it with an unspectacular series of 3 and outs and bubble screens.

The offensive future we sacrificed was laid at the feet of improving the defense. Well, after some impressive displays during the season after we got older and schemed better, we're scratching that plan for something else and starting back at ground zero.

So basically, we wasted last year. There is no long term solution on offense, and we wasted a year of production, continuety and growth on defense.

Great plan working here.

Killericon
01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
If lil Josh was feeling out Romeo last week, it wasn't Nolan doing the scheming. I hope it works out for Nolan since he thought this gig was the right one to get back into coaching, and despite him doing a better job with the personnel than most experts thought possible, apparantly this was not the place for him.

Lil Josh has every right to get his staff assembled, but this looks like another very unclassy move, and this was a classy franchise for a long time.

Nolan was the one who left. You started a little scenario with "if", and then went on to call McDaniels unclassy based on your little hypothetical. Let's just judge this on what we know, rather than speculating and then judging, shall we? Can we do that? For once?

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
This is a lateral move for him... Why would he want out so bad?

Lateral title does not necessarily equal lateral salary.

My last job move resulted in me receiving the exact same title, but came with a 35% bump in salary. Is that a "lateral move"? Depends on your definition I guess.

bendog
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Nolan was the one who left. You started a little scenario with "if", and then went on to call McDaniels unclassy based on your little hypothetical. Let's just judge this on what we know, rather than speculating and then judging, shall we? Can we do that? For once?

I wasn't the poster who suggested that the broncos were sniffing out Romeo. The fact is that the dolphins offered the job to other people last week, and only called Nolan after they were turned down. the lil josh apologists are suggesting otherwise, which is not what occured.

IF lil josh was sniffing out Romeo without telling Nolan the team was moving in another dirction, it was not a classy moment in bronco history.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Is Jack McDaniels the trendy Mc___ name of the week?

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Everyone is the bad guy but McD in your world. Bus and Cutler worked something out to get him out of town. Marshall and his agent have a plan. Nolan had Bill Parcells working with him to get out of Denver.

PRBronco
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Everyone is the bad guy but McD in your world. Bus and Cutler worked something out to get him out of town. Marshall and his agent have a plan. Nolan had Bill Parcells working with him to get out of Denver.

Say what you will about tsi, but those examples don't form much of an argument. In fact I don't think they're far off the truth.

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Actually has been my 2nd fav team as long as I rooted for my favorite team.

That's cool... just messing with ya.

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
bills
raiders
lions
browns
SOME chief fans, most think they are going to SB every year
rams
jacksonville

if any of these need explanations as to why, it wont matter because you clear bias against the broncos will tell you that we are the worst team i the nfl and are bound for another (huh) 3-13 season, right?

Those are some ****ing NFL powerhouses right there. How about the Colts, Pitt, NE, Chargers, Dallas, Saints, Packers just to name a few. Would they rather be in our shoes or theirs?

bpc
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Those are some ****ing NFL powerhouses right there. How about the Colts, Pitt, NE, Chargers, Dallas, Saints, Packers just to name a few. Would they rather be in our shoes or theirs?

THANK YOU! Wow, six other teams would like to be in our shoes, out of 32. Two of which are bottom dwelling basement teams in our own division which destroyed us on our way to being knocked out of the playoffs.

Take those two out because they are feeling much more confident this offseason than we are and we are left with a list of four. St. Louis, Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit.

Wow. Color me impressed by your argument Tstyguy.

UberBroncoMan
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Something that no one is talking about...

Nolan is a devout Roman Catholic and known as more of a calm and down to earth guy.

McDaniels curses and god knows what else like a mother ****er.

I really think their personalities clashed and there was no long term in sight, so it was just decided by both it was best to end the relationship now.

Nolan wanted away from McDaniels and to have more control over the defense, and McDaniels probably felt someone else (like a Pees) would be a better fit for what he wants to do and could gel with his style of coaching.

Chris
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Just a new reason to hate the Dolphins.

meangene
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
This sounds just like the conspiracy-theorists when they claimed Cutler wanted out, Cook was planting seeds, etc.

"This whole thing was orchestrated by Cutler and Cook after the season was over to get more money." Exact same argument. Imagine that.

"Cutler had three years left on his contract and wanted to get paid... plus he never really wanted to be in Denver."

"So we cut ties with this crybaby who doesn't want to be here and delay the inevitable?"

Everybody is wrong, Jack McDaniels is just a team guy and everybody is trying to screw him!

"McDaniels had a choice and he made it."

Laughable. What's the reoccuring theme to these remarks? Nobody wants to be around McDaniels?

The Phins wanted permission to talk to Nolan and were denied. He and McDaniels meet and agree to part ways and he is signed, sealed, and delivered to the Phins in less than 24 hours. What is laughable is that McDaniels is blamed by certain people on this board for every single thing that happens which is perceived as negative. What is the recurring theme to all these events? McDaniels wants people who are committed to the team. What is the other recurring theme? He will never get a fair shake from a lot of posters around here until he wins and then they will just disappear like they did the first six weeks. Really, it's even worse than being front-runners or bandwagon fans.

Cool Breeze
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM

This

maher_tyler
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
The Phins wanted permission to talk to Nolan and were denied. He and McDaniels meet and agree to part ways and he is signed, sealed, and delivered to the Phins in less than 24 hours. What is laughable is that McDaniels is blamed by certain people on this board for every single thing that happens which is perceived as negative. What is the recurring theme to all these events? McDaniels wants people who are committed to the team. What is the other recurring theme? He will never get a fair shake from a lot of posters around here until he wins and then they will just disappear like they did the first six weeks. Really, it's even worse than being front-runners or bandwagon fans.

Then he better start winning and now!! Who of our coaches from this past season do we have other than McD?!?! I've been a big supporter but i'm starting to wonder WTF is going on with this team!! We now have to learn another Defensive scheme. What do you think Champ is thinking?? I won't be surprised if he wants out of town soon...he wants a ring and the chances of getting it in Denver just got slimmer!! Hope i'm wrong though!!

meangene
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Then he better start winning and now!! Who of our coaches from this past season do we have other than McD?!?! I've been a big supporter but i'm starting to wonder WTF is going on with this team!! We now have to learn another Defensive scheme. What do you think Champ is thinking?? I won't be surprised if he wants out of town soon...he wants a ring and the chances of getting it in Denver just got slimmer!! Hope i'm wrong though!!

We will have a new DC who will run a 3-4 scheme with the rest of our defensive coaches in place. Offensively, we were switching from the ZBS scheme anyway so it will be the same offense with OL and RB coaches better versed in the power run game. All is not lost! The sky is not falling!

maher_tyler
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
We will have a new DC who will run a 3-4 scheme with the rest of our defensive coaches in place. Offensively, we were switching from the ZBS scheme anyway so it will be the same offense with OL and RB coaches better versed in the power run game. All is not lost! The sky is not falling!

Ya gotta wonder when a guy like Champ is gonna want out though...would you blame him??

colorado jones
01-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Very deep (and lame)!

Paladin
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM

WTF?? Who is WE? As in WE have to learn a new DEf scheme?

Champ could well be gone unless he is willing to negotiate a new deal. I'd say paying him 14 mil this next year is a bit much to expect. So, either he deals or he will be cut.

Stands to reason: there are several of the Bronco FAs that need tio be sigbed. Money has to come from somewhere. So, Champ might be out anyway.

Just keep your cool and let the FO work the issues. You will see more Bronco football next Fall. Just don't get your panties in a wad over things that you do not control and never will. There are too many jerkoffs around here who believe they know better than the FO what needs to be done, and they will never agree with McD. Period. Screw 'em. Time for the Nuggets and the Avs now, and the Rockies will be coming in soon. Before you know it, FA and the draft will be over and the rookies will come in for the first practice, and we will see the play all over again......

Relax. It is only a freaking game played for entertainment....

bowtown
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Let's see...

OC
QBs
WRs
TEs
DL
LB
CB
Strength and Training

Looks like pretty much all of them.

NYBronco
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Champ could well be gone unless he is willing to negotiate a new deal. I'd say paying him 14 mil this next year is a bit much to expect. So, either he deals or he will be cut.

Stands to reason: there are several of the Bronco FAs that need tio be sigbed. Money has to come from somewhere. So, Champ might be out anyway.

Just keep your cool and let the FO work the issues. You will see more Bronco football next Fall. Just don't get your panties in a wad over things that you do not control and never will. There are too many jerkoffs around here who believe they know better than the FO what needs to be done, and they will never agree with McD. Period. Screw 'em. Time for the Nuggets and the Avs now, and the Rockies will be coming in soon. Before you know it, FA and the draft will be over and the rookies will come in for the first practice, and we will see the play all over again......

So simple and true. :thumbsup:

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Is that bold part that complicated to you? Are you new to earth?

Play2win
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Best Post in a very long, long, long, long time. Especially the last line.

Major Props. :thumbsup:

bigbucks24
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Dolphin fan here that recently moved to Denver. I moved from KC so I followed the Chiefs on ChiefPlanet.com. They hated this board so I figured it would be a good board to follow since I am a local now. Having said that, what makes you (or anyone) think that the Dolphins are looking at Nolan as a HC-in-waiting? He wasn't very successful in SF so I guess I don't see anyone offering him a HC job anytime in the near future. He has ties to Parcells so I see it as a fit, but I don't see the HCIW. What am I missing?

ZONA
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Yup. I agree. I don't think Nolan wanted out of Denver because he thinks Josh is not going in the right direction. That's talk for the McD haters and how they love to jump to conclusions. I think it does look more and more like Nolan wanted to go somewhere he could be up for a HC job sooner and also a place where it was warmer. And I think McD did the right thing by declining the interviews at first. I mean, this is a laterall move and he was under contract. If Nolan is throwing a Cutleresque type of fit, then Josh did the right thing and just let the man go. I bet he wishes Nolan would have been more upfront with him last year that he really was thinking this short term on being here.

bigbucks24
01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Yup. I agree. I don't think Nolan wanted out of Denver because he thinks Josh is not going in the right direction. That's talk for the McD haters and how they love to jump to conclusions. I think it does look more and more like Nolan wanted to go somewhere he could be up for a HC job sooner and also a place where it was warmer. And I think McD did the right thing by declining the interviews at first. I mean, this is a laterall move and he was under contract. If Nolan is throwing a Cutleresque type of fit, then Josh did the right thing and just let the man go. I bet he wishes Nolan would have been more upfront with him last year that he really was thinking this short term on being here.

Why do you think he is closer to being a HC in Miami than he is here in Denver? And do you really think he had this planned last year (or at least planned on moving) or do you think his tepid relationship with McD and the reunion with Parcells were a better fit? I do think McD showed class in letting him leave and not trashing him on the way out the door.