PDA

View Full Version : Dean Pees coaching Bio

HEAV
01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Dean Pees, a 37-year coaching veteran, was named the defensive coordinator on Bill Belichick's staff on January 17, 2006. Pees served as the Patriots' linebackers coach from 2004-05 and his coaching credentials include six seasons as a collegiate head coach and 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator at the college level. Pees joined Belichick's staff prior to the 2004 season after a tenure as the head coach at Kent State.

The Patriots have averaged less than 20 points per game allowed in every season that Pees has been defensive coordinator. In 2008, the Patriots allowed 19.3 points per game and achieved an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense, including four rookies. Pees' 2008 defense ranked second in the NFL in forced threeand- out percentage (30.6) and helped give the offense the second best average starting field position in the NFL.

In 2007, Pees' defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. The Patriots defense allowed 274 points, marking the fourth time in the previous five seasons (since 2003) that New England has allowed fewer than 275 points in a season. The 2007 Patriots ranked fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (288.3), the fewest allowed by a Patriots defense in 28 years, and second in the league in sacks (47). The Patriots defense sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2006, Pees' defense set a franchise record for points allowed per game, giving up an average of just 14.81 points per opponent as the Patriots finished 12-4 and at the top of the AFC East. The New England defense was fourth in the NFL in takeaways and first in opponents' fourth down conversion percentage. The Patriots defense was also second in the league in opponent passer rating. Pees' defense steadily improved over the course of the season, and remained in the NFL's top 10 in total defense for the entire second half of the season. The Patriots finished second in the league in points allowed in 2006.

In 2005, Pees tutored a Patriots linebackers unit that featured three of the defense's top five tacklers and accounted for 22 of the team's 33 sacks. Mike Vrabel transitioned from outside linebacker to inside linebacker during the season and paced the team with a career-high 114 tackles (80 solo), while Rosevelt Colvin's 73 tackles (49 solo) marked the second highest total of his career and placed fourth on the team. Tedy Bruschi, who missed the first six games of the season while recovering from a stroke, placed fifth on the team with 72 tackles (38 solo) despite playing in just nine games.

The contributions of the linebackers in the second half of the 2005 season were a key reason the Patriots were able to clinch the AFC East title by recording six wins in a seven-week span over the final two months of the season. During the month of December the Patriots shut down the run, allowing just 31.3 rushing yards per game. The effort helped to produce four straight December wins, including a 28-0 shutout over Tampa Bay on December 17 to claim the AFC East crown. Additionally, New England allowed just 10 total points over a three-game December span, marking the fewest points allowed over any three games in team history.

Pees marked a solid first season in the NFL in 2004, mentoring a linebackers unit that produced three of the team's top four tacklers. The Patriots defense ranked sixth in the NFL against the run, while New England linebackers recorded 27.5 quarterback sacks. Tedy Bruschi finished second on the team in tackles (128), and fellow starters Ted Johnson (112) and Vrabel (76), finished third and fourth, respectively. Outside linebacker Willie McGinest, also a starter in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment, paced the team with 9.5 sacks. Bruschi, in his ninth NFL season, earned his first Pro Bowl selection.

Pees was hired as the head coach at Kent State on December 17, 1997, faced with the challenge of rebuilding a program that had not produced a winning season in 12 years and had not won more than three games in a season for six years. Once his system was fully implemented, the Golden Flashes showed significant improvement.

In 2001, Pees led the Golden Flashes to a 6-5 record, notching the school's best mark in 14 years, and only the second winning season in 25 years. In his last three seasons at Kent State, Pees' teams won more games than the school had won in the previous decade. Pees' six-year tenure with the Golden Flashes made him the longest-serving head coach in the program's last 40 years.

Prior to securing the head job at Kent State, Pees was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach on Nick Saban's staff at Michigan State. The Spartans qualified for a postseason bowl game in each of Pees' three seasons in East Lansing and finished with the 13th-ranked overall defense in the nation in his final season.

Pees joined Michigan State after serving as secondary coach on Lou Holtz's staff at Notre Dame during the 1994 season. While in South Bend, Pees coached Eagles Pro Bowl cornerback Bobby Taylor during his senior season in which he was named to numerous All-American teams. He joined the Fighting Irish after four seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Toledo, where he was first hired by Saban in 1990. In 1992, Pees' defense allowed just 13.9 points per game as Toledo posted an 8-3 record, including two shutout victories. Pees also served a threeyear stint as the secondary coach at the Naval Academy (1987-89).

Pees began his coaching career with a six-year tenure as a high school head coach. He then entered the college ranks as the defensive coordinator/ secondary coach for the University of Findlay (1979-82) and then held the same title at Miami (Ohio) University (1983-86).

watermock
01-19-2010, 08:43 AM
So when Beavis yells at him, does he get to pee on his leg because of his prostrate?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-19-2010, 08:46 AM
So when Beavis yells at him, does he get to pee on his leg because of his prostrate?

If anyone would know better than to make fun of a medical problem, I thought it would be you.

Thanks for another solid contribution to the site though. Really good take. Strong.

jhat01
01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
No reason to **** on Pees right? If he is hired, there's nothing out there that says he's not a good coordinator. Unfortunately he'll be villified and insulted for no reason.

bendog
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Well at least charlie weiss wasn't his "mentor"

jhat01
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Much like you probably dribble in your nightgown while you spew this crap all over the board. "Prostrate" hahahah you no doubt assume that position on a nightly basis.

PRBronco
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
If he can keep Jamaal ****ing Charles from being in a position to set the single game rushing record IN DENVER, I will give him my healthy young "prostrate".

Killericon
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Man, I'm sooooooo down for this.

DenverBrit
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
If Pees had been available last season, would Nolan have been the Broncos choice for DC?

Probably not.

jhns
01-19-2010, 09:42 AM
We will see if he is better than Nolan. Everyone knows this Bio means nothing. Everyone knows who really runs that defense and why it has been productive for every d-coordinator.

PRBronco
01-19-2010, 09:44 AM
This could be the solution to any revenue problems Bowlen might have. Bring back the yellow and brown jerseys. Market the "Dean Pees Golden Shower Defense". The endorsement cheques will practically write themselves. Golden Shower soda! Golden Shower windshield washer fluid! The possibilities are virtually endless! Maybe even strike a deal with R Kelly to sing the national anthem at games.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
This could be the solution to any revenue problems Bowlen might have. Bring back the yellow and brown jerseys. Market the "Dean Pees Golden Shower Defense". The endorsement cheques will practically write themselves. Golden Shower soda! Golden Shower windshield washer fluid! The possibilities are virtually endless! Maybe even strike a deal with R Kelly to sing the national anthem at games.

All we are saying
is give Pees a chance

DenverBrit
01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
We will see if he is better than Nolan. Everyone knows this Bio means nothing. Everyone knows who really runs that defense and why it has been productive for every d-coordinator.

That's the problem around here. "Everyone knows".

No they don't!!

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
All we are saying
is give Pees a chance

Gold.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 10:40 AM
The last I heard, Pees told the Pats he was basically retiring, or at least taking some time off to re-evaluate his life... or some such nonsense.

broncos-rock
01-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I really worry about his health......I am hoping for a younger guy that will stay for longer than a year!

HEAV
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
In 2008, the Patriots allowed 19.3 points per game and achieved an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense, including four rookies.

He worked with less/inexperienced talent before. Still need to get some front line help/beef.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
With the exception of him being an ex-patriot why does everyone assume this is the guy?

bendog
01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
He'll be the father figure lil Josh needs?

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
[B]In 2005, Pees tutored a Patriots linebackers unit that featured three of the defense's top five tacklers

That's usually how the LB spot works.... Linebackers, a box safety and usually a corner sneaks in there too.

broncocalijohn
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, I must say this is a better bio than the one Kaylore gave us when we hired Slowick.

LonghornBronco
01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
In 2007, Pees' defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. The Patriots defense allowed 274 points, marking the fourth time in the previous five seasons (since 2003) that New England has allowed fewer than 275 points in a season. The 2007 Patriots ranked fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (288.3), the fewest allowed by a Patriots defense in 28 years, and second in the league in sacks (47). The Patriots defense sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

What impresses me is he kept the opposition points down to league lows while the offense were racking up record points on the other side of the ball.

I'm starting to feel better about the whole deal.:approve:

d bronx42
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
If Pees is hired, do you think it would it be easier to make a major push for a guy like Richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork since both McDaniels and Pees have a long history with both those guys...?

Pontius Pirate
01-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Man, I am so excited for Pees. I really can't wait to root for him until game 1 of the pre-season at which point I will turn on him as soon as a touchdown is scored.

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
With the exception of him being an ex-patriot why does everyone assume this is the guy?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/pees-likely-to-soon-be-named-broncos-defensive-coordinator/

just seems to fit i spose. he let his contract expire in NE (or they both agreed, or NE didnt want him back, who knows), he has a good track record as DC and no indication he DOESNT want back into coaching. gary miller also said that pees is very likely to be the next DC.

tsiguy96
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
whats interesting though, most patriot fans are glad to see him go because of conservative playcalling, but considering mcdaniels is historically a read and react 3-4 guy, im sure mcdaniels hand in the defense had him dial up the pressure a bit, i wonder if the same thing will happen with pees as well.

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I was wondering the same thing... How did the DP hear that he is the likely candidate? Is he in town? Did he interview?

TheDave
01-19-2010, 02:32 PM
whats interesting though, most patriot fans are glad to see him go because of conservative playcalling, but considering mcdaniels is historically a read and react 3-4 guy, im sure mcdaniels hand in the defense had him dial up the pressure a bit, i wonder if the same thing will happen with pees as well.

Everyone keeps saying that the blitzing came from McDaniels but when we hired Nolan there was an interview with him at camp where he talked about his year off and how he learned alot from watching the ravens and Ryan's D.

I think Nolan might have learned a new trick or two...

HEAV
01-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Just like with Nolan, Pees resume is filled with succes. The only concern would be his health.

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Everyone keeps saying that the blitzing came from McDaniels but when we hired Nolan there was an interview with him at camp where he talked about his year off and how he learned alot from watching the ravens and Ryan's D.

I think Nolan might have learned a new trick or two...

Probably true. It will be interesting to see what he does in Miami next year in terms of read and react versus blitz centric.

I am disappointed of his departure but I can see where both coaches are coming from. Nolan wants full autonomous control and McDaniels happens to be a Head Coach who likes to have a hand in all phases of his team. He could compromise and hand over the reigns to Nolan but that is not how McDaniels was mentored. Like it or not, he was mentored by Bellicheck who dabbles in all phases. At this point I'd be more concerned if McDaniels was caving to all the outside pressures and started changing his philosophy after one season.

BMarsh615
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Bill Belicheat is the brains behind that defense.

bendog
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Shanny told his dcoordinators to blitz at times. Nothing says Nolan wanted "full autonomous control." The article said Nolan thought he would have more control than in fact he got.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Probably true. It will be interesting to see what he does in Miami next year in terms of read and react versus blitz centric.

I am disappointed of his departure but I can see where both coaches are coming from. Nolan wants full autonomous control and McDaniels happens to be a Head Coach who likes to have a hand in all phases of his team. He could compromise and hand over the reigns to Nolan but that is not how McDaniels was mentored. Like it or not, he was mentored by Bellicheck who dabbles in all phases. At this point I'd be more concerned if McDaniels was caving to all the outside pressures and started changing his philosophy after one season.

Like I said before, this team needed an offseason of continuity... If all Nolan really wanted was some autonomy on the defense then I would have given him it. Looks like Parcels did.

elsid13
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM

All you need to know -

Now that it seems like Dean Pees is set to head for Denver, to take over for head coach Josh McDaniels' departed defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, it pretty easy to figure out the why.

And it's heavier than just the five years McDaniels and Pees spent together here.

The connection between the families of the two goes significantly further back than that. Pees and McDaniels' father, the legendary Ohio high school coach Thom, have known each other for a long time, and at one point, Pees try to hire Thom McDaniels to his staff at Kent State.

Instead, Pees simply got his son. Not Josh, but Ben, the little brother who Pees planned to start at quarterback at Kent before some guy named Josh Cribbs came along. Ben McDaniels, by the way, is now a Denver assistant as well

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/01/pees_to_denver.html

Chris
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
We just need to get Tuten to sort him out and he will be the Pees Knees.

Popps
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm getting more excited about getting this guy as time passes. I hope he's healthy, and can come give us a few good years.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM
All you need to know -

Now that it seems like Dean Pees is set to head for Denver, to take over for head coach Josh McDaniels' departed defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, it pretty easy to figure out the why.

And it's heavier than just the five years McDaniels and Pees spent together here.

The connection between the families of the two goes significantly further back than that. Pees and McDaniels' father, the legendary Ohio high school coach Thom, have known each other for a long time, and at one point, Pees try to hire Thom McDaniels to his staff at Kent State.

Instead, Pees simply got his son. Not Josh, but Ben, the little brother who Pees planned to start at quarterback at Kent before some guy named Josh Cribbs came along. Ben McDaniels, by the way, is now a Denver assistant as well

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/01/pees_to_denver.html

Wow... sure sounds like this could be the guy.

PRBronco
01-19-2010, 03:58 PM
I was wondering the same thing... How did the DP hear that he is the likely candidate? Is he in town? Did he interview?

So far it seems these reports have as much credibility as the speculation that McDaniels' brother would be the new RB coach. Except that this one is actually logical, and would be good.

elsid13
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow... sure sounds like this could be the guy.

I believe Nolan was the only coach not from the state of Ohio