PDA

View Full Version : Ten most significant Super Bowl injuries

Bronco Rob
01-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Ten most significant Super Bowl injuries

Posted Jan. 18, 2010 @ 10 a.m.
By Bob McGinn

Third in a series of 10 Super Bowl top-10 lists excerpted from "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" by Bob McGinn.

1. Tim Krumrie, NT, Bengals, XXIII: Suffered a broken tibia and fibula early in the first quarter and had to be flown to a nearby hospital via helicopter.

2. Leslie Frazier, CB, Bears, XX: Blew out his knee playing special teams in the first half. Frazier never played another game in the NFL.

3. Steve Wallace, LT, 49ers, XXIII: With the turf in deplorable condition, Wallace suffered a broken left fibula a few plays before Krumrie went down.

4. Lin Dawson, TE, Patriots, XX: On the Patriots' first play from scrimmage, Dawson stretched to haul in a pass at the 8-yard line and ruptured his patellar tendon.

5. Dave Studdard, LT, Broncos, XXII: Playing in his ninth season as a starter for Denver, Studdard blew out his ACL early in the second quarter.

6. Shannon Sharpe, TE, Broncos, XXXIII: Played two series and caught two of the four passes thrown to him by John Elway before departing with a sprained knee.

7. Boyd Dowler, WR, Packers, I and II: Exited Super Bowl I when a calcium deposit in his bad right shoulder broke loose. A year later, Dowler had to sit again, this time with leg cramps.

8. John Stallworth, WR, Steelers, XIII: Suffered muscle cramps late in the first half and didn't return.

9. Shane Conlan, LB, Bills, XXVI: Left the game just five minutes in because of a knee injury.

10. Johnny Unitas, QB, Colts, V: Absorbed a shot in the ribs from Cowboys DE George Andrie midway through the second quarter and gave way to Earl Morrall

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/18/ten-most-significant-super-bowl-injuries

cutthemdown
01-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Mecklenburgh went out on a leg whip in our loss to the 49ers.

BroncoMan4ever
01-19-2010, 06:22 AM
should TD get any mention with the migraine that knocked him out of the 2nd quarter completely, even though he came back and had the greatest rushing performance in a super bowl ever?

ColoradoDarin
01-19-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't want to Tsiguy it up, but there haven't been too many significant SB injuries if you have to start counting cramps. (Look out whoever is in it this year now).

Bronco Rob
01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
:thumbs:

Archer81
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
should TD get any mention with the migraine that knocked him out of the 2nd quarter completely, even though he came back and had the greatest rushing performance in a super bowl ever?

Makes you wonder what would have happened if he didnt miss the 2nd quarter.

:Broncos:

broncosteven
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Doesn't Doug Williams injury count just for Infamy?

The Moops
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Totally agree Steven . . . Denver scores instead of that quick whistle and who knows, maybe we aren't cursing Tony Lilly, Mark Haynes, etc. for the past 20+ years.

The Moops
01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Don't forget, Tommy Jackson got hurt in Super Bowl XXI and watched most of the second half . . . it was his last game.

broncosteven
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I can't wait for the top ten night before SB debacles

1) Eugene Robinson - Preaching for God in lockerroom then trolling for a BJ the night before the SB

2) That center who wigged out with the Faiders

3) The RB for the Bengals who got coked up the night before the SB

4) The "Toozs" see above, he played though.

TDmvp
01-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Sharpe's shouldn't be on here ... We won big and it wasn't a bad injury.
Where Leslie Frazier's was career ending in a big win.

Sharpe's didn't shorten his career or stop the team from winning.

# 1 on this list tho I totally agree with . I still shiver thinking about the Krumrie moment...

And

3) The RB for the Bengals who got coked up the night before the SB

Stanley Wilson ...
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/03-05/0330wilson.jpg

STBumpkin
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Just like the "most significant drops in SB history", I don't think any player injury should be included when his team won. It isn't significant to the super bowl if the team won anyway.

BroncoMan4ever
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Makes you wonder what would have happened if he didnt miss the 2nd quarter.

:Broncos:

well for starters that game wouldn't have been the tight game it was. the way he was running the ball and the way the offense was performing, it is extremly likely Denver went into halftime with the game just about wrapped up and win in a blowout.

and with TD, his incredible game would now be looked at as godlike with the numbers he would have put up.

funny thing i always wondered about that game. when he came back in the 2nd half were the effects and pain from the migraine completely gone and he was back to 100% or was he still having some migraine related symptoms but they were faded enough that he could play again?

because if he was still feeling some symptoms, it can be said he was nowhere near 100% and that just makes his performance all the more incredible.

i know from my own experience from suffering from migraines myself, they don't just go away, the pain subsides some and it becomes this dull nagging constant pain in your head that just makes you feel sick.

i have always been of the belief he came back and dominated the Packers at maybe 80% of his capabilities.

broncosteven
01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
because if he was still feeling some symptoms, it can be said he was nowhere near 100% and that just makes his performance all the more incredible.

i know from my own experience from suffering from migraines myself, they don't just go away, the pain subsides some and it becomes this dull nagging constant pain in your head that just makes you feel sick.

i have always been of the belief he came back and dominated the Packers at maybe 80% of his capabilities.

Depends on what he was on and how his body chemistry reacted to it. If I remember right he was taking tagamet or something like that which was placed under the toung. I thought that was more of a daily preventave than rescue med.

I know when I had Imitrex shots and even after with the pill form that would make me wobbly and nausea even if it helped I needed a good 2 -4 hours to bounce back.

Now with either Zomig or Amerge less side affects and quicker relief time. A migraine that would ruin my day and set me behind for a week at work back before the new sumatriptan(sp?) stuff is almost a non issue if I get it very quick and have a light hour to recover in my office or at home.

But alas and alack! That was before my car accidnet and surgery, now my migraines have changed from temporal to centered in my head feeling like a red hot iron is running through my forhead into my neck while the temples still throb.

Wierdest thing, no one told me a 1 level fusion could do that. Still working to find a course to fix that when it happens.