PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre: Steroids? HGH?

SportinOne
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM
poll coming. i personally don't see how his performance is possible without some sort of "helper". It just reminds me so much of watching Roger Clemens in his final years. i could be wrong, what do you think?

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
poll coming. i personally don't see how his performance is possible without some sort of "helper". It just reminds me so much of watching Roger Clemens in his final years. i could be wrong, what do you think?

You're wrong.

SportinOne
01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
You're wrong.

so you are of the opinion that it is possible for a quarterback to have the best year of his career when he is 40 years old and coming off of arm surgery without the aid of performance enhancing drugs?

just for clarity.

SureShot
01-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes he is. They are called Wranglers. I just got a pair and I can now squat 600 lbs. Used correctly in conjuction with pepsodent it crushes the results from the "clear" and the "Cream".

KevinJames
01-19-2010, 12:12 AM
If he is who cares to be honest I use to hate the guy when he played for GB but man watching him go to the Jets than the Vikings and still play at the level hes playing its unbelievable and I just feel pretty damn privileged to watch him play cause he can do some spectacular things still, example was Sunday those TD throws were great.

Jason in LA
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Anything is possible, but there really aren't any signs that he's taking anything. It's not enough to say that he's older and still playing well so he's taking something.

TDmvp
01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Where is the I don't know , I don't care and I am calling him Brett Farve until he and his family either learns to spell or pronounce their name the way it is spelled option in this poll ??? ....

broncocalijohn
01-19-2010, 12:19 AM
He might but I remember the cops in GB turning the other cheek. They say it was for a DUI(?). Rumor was that it was more serious and let him off with something else. It could be, but if rest helped his arm, what is the difference between Brett Favre and John Elway?

HAT
01-19-2010, 12:21 AM
D) Heart....And a helluva supporting cast.

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 12:24 AM
so you are of the opinion that it is possible for a quarterback to have the best year of his career when he is 40 years old and coming off of arm surgery without the aid of performance enhancing drugs?

just for clarity.

Yes. This is also the best supporting cast he's had since Reggie White, Butler, Freeman, Gilbert Brown, and that OL

SureShot
01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
What is it with gunslingers and bicep tendon surgeries? It's like theyvget a brand new arm.

SportinOne
01-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm not looking at anyone on the team except for him. The way he throws the ball just shouldn't be happening. Feel free to vote how you want. I just want a historical record of some sort for future purposes.

extralife
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
QBs don't tend to lose much on their arm as they age. It's the other stuff that goes, and Favre never was a great athelete. Steroids also tend to lead to injuries, which has obviously never been a problem with Brett. That, and the biceps thing that we got a taste of with Elway. It's his "best" year (I don't think it is, but it's close) because of the way the game is played these days. It's a passing league, with passing rules and a lot of talent at WR.

watermock
01-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Hell yes!

Go Hornheads!

BossChief
01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Brett Favre was playing at a high level for the last two years as well, was he on drugs then too?

Atwater His Ass
01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
problem is that you buy into the idea that 40 is "old".

most guys end up retiring earlier because their bodies break down after 20 years or so of abuse playing and training to play football. Favre is lucky in that sense, that his body still responds.

Guys like Elway end up retiring because of physical issues that keep them from getting on the field (knees), not because they don't have the mental capacity to play or in most cases, can still throw a football with authority.

SPORTSWRITER
01-19-2010, 02:35 AM

Too risky. I hope Brett is smarter than that, but I suppose time will tell. I'm sure the NFL anti-drug czars have him in their sights!

Bronco LB52
01-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Wake up people. It's the NFL. Duh! Practically everybody does PES.

Jason in LA
01-19-2010, 08:29 AM
QBs don't tend to lose much on their arm as they age. It's the other stuff that goes, and Favre never was a great athelete. Steroids also tend to lead to injuries, which has obviously never been a problem with Brett. That, and the biceps thing that we got a taste of with Elway. It's his "best" year (I don't think it is, but it's close) because of the way the game is played these days. It's a passing league, with passing rules and a lot of talent at WR.

That's true. I remember Elway saying after a flag football game at the old Mile High right before they tore it down that his arm still felt just as strong as it was during his career. Like all athletes who get older, it was other parts of his body that were breaking down.

Now if Favre is still playing well into his 40s, then maybe something would be up. But at 40 it is not far fetched to see him still make it week in week out.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
He's just like a kid out there!

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
He's taking mega-doses of Metamucil. That really gets you going.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
He might be. I don't see what the problem is if you think of his problems as a medical condiditon...which it is. I am all for pro athletes using PEDs. Gatorade is a PED.

bendog
01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
it is amazing that his arthritic hip is .... apparantly no longer arthritic.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Lets see... Hmmm

NFL testing procedures alow 6 x's the normal testosterone levels of a 20 something year old male.

HGH is basically untestable

Taking both would allow a player in his 40's to at least replicate the healing process of a 20 something... at least for the season.

Brett Farve is having one of, if not his best season ever.

Hmmmm... Nah, he's clean. 8')

SureShot
01-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I really dont think he is, but it is interesting how bad he fell apart at the end of the season last year and this year not so much.

bendog
01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
His biceps went south last year. That could have happened regardless of whether he was using. But it is interesting that he's still playing with a chronic injury and supposedly he isn't using pain meds

http://www3.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=348858

Pony Boy
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM

So with this reasoning we should assume Elway winning 2 SB's after his prime years had to be a result of performance enhancing drugs. I see how this works.....

bendog
01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
The Duke's knee didn't get better. It was getting worse.

PaintballCLE
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
steroids.....probably not........
however his best years in GB came when he was addicted to vicodin.........maybe hes popping them again!

TailgateNut
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Hell yes!

Go Hornheads!

I got your HornHead right here. Go Saint's.

Popcorn Sutton
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Lets see... Hmmm

NFL testing procedures alow 6 x's the normal testosterone levels of a 20 something year old male.

Taking both would allow a player in his 40's to at least replicate the healing process of a 20 something... at least for the season.

He's clean and you are McDaniels biggest supporter. :spit:

ScottXray
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
well, if Evan Williams/Jack Daniels could be said to be PEDs
then yes...definitely.

Maybe he IS using metamucil....Has to complete drives with TDS quickly so he can take a dump!

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Lets see... Hmmm

But Brett doesn't have a gorilla forehead. That rules out HGH

SureShot
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Maybe he just sleeps in until 1 pm everyday.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Neither does this guy... and trust me he uses more HGH in a month that farve would use in his lifetime. ;D

http://lh4.ggpht.com/fisherwy/Rv-7t4pBJqI/AAAAAAAAJRk/9cuX_5gaBdo/Mr.png

bendog
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Will my biceps majically reattach, and will my hip and knee regenerate cartiledge, if I buy some of that stuff?

TheDave
01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Will my biceps majically reattach, and will my hip and knee regenerate cartiledge, if I buy some of that stuff?

bicep... no

but we could probably get you through a season on that hip and knee. :approve:

bendog
01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
yeah. In retrospect I wish I'd gone the surgery route on my biceps. too late now.

I'm thinking HGH on the hip/knee. I'm not sure what it would do with my bloodwork that I have to have every year. This getting old sucks.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
yeah. In retrospect I wish I'd gone the surgery route on my biceps. too late now.

I'm thinking HGH on the hip/knee. I'm not sure what it would do with my bloodwork that I have to have every year. This getting old sucks.

Tell me about it...

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Neither does this guy... and trust me he uses more HGH in a month that farve would use in his lifetime. ;D

I'd get some new glasses.

TheDave
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd get some new glasses.

Man I tried both pairs... looks fine to me, then again I'm used to seeing my cro magnon like forehead everyday

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Maybe he just sleeps in until 1 pm everyday.

It's not everyday... just today

TheReverend
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Man I tried both pairs... looks fine to me, then again I'm used to seeing my cro magnon like forehead everyday

Does this look normal to you:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/zagco/UnfrozenCavemanLawyer.jpg

TheDave
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Does this look normal to you:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/zagco/UnfrozenCavemanLawyer.jpg

Yeah... so?

ROFL!

SureShot
01-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Your modern ways frighten and confuse me.

mr007
01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
It's possible but I'd say unlikely. Even if he is using them to heal, I'd think he'd have more muscle definition at 40 if he was really using them to enhance his performance in any way.

Just my 2 cents, I think people are quick to point the finger at PED when some people just work hard and maintain good physical condition. I don't even think Favre is in that great of a condition, he's just happy to be on a winning team and having the chance to go to the SB, that probably weighs more than anything else.

And him having one of his best seasons has very much to do with his o-line, RB, and some good receivers aiding along the way. He hasn't been as dangerous with the ball which is definitely different for him.

bfoflcommish
01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
sidney rice, percy harvin, AD, a great defense etc all have nothing to do with any of it????

Bob's your Information Minister
01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Favre's performance in the first 10 games, or whatever it was, last year, justifies what he's doing this year.

He just hasn't gotten hurt. Now, I guess you could chalk that up to performance enhancers, but it's not like the injury he suffered last year was routine.

HILife
01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

I know that guy. I hear he has a rocket arm and plays for the Bears. Defentily looks like a rocket arm.

gyldenlove
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Well recent numbers suggest there is anywhere between 25 and 50% chance he does - so I will go with a maybe.

Crushaholic
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Steroids would lead to roid rage. I don't see any roid rage in his games. I just see a 40-year-old man having fun and leading his team to victories...

azbroncfan
01-19-2010, 12:27 PM
It has to be WRANGLERS. Just saw it on ESPN and they showed his secret.

ColoradoDarin
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I know that guy. I hear he has a rocket arm and plays for the Bears. Defentily looks like a rocket arm.

I'm pretty sure that he has a stronger arm than Elway.

gunns
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM

just for clarity.

Yep. I have no doubt in my mind that Elway could have continued doing the same thing the year after he retired and he would have been 39-40. He could still sling that ball accurately. Oh and he wasn't a media ho. Brett has the services of a very good OL and a very good defense. Therefore it's not upon him to do it all....and he isn't despite what the media might convince you of. Of course if there is performance enhancing drugs we'll never know because you don't drug test the media's God.

DrFate
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
???

I'm sure Bradshaw can still throw the ball plenty well. I'm sure Staubach can as well. It is the rest of the body that goes (you get hit and you don't recover as quickly)

What a nonsensical thread....

Cito Pelon
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

It's actually very possible.

Fusionfrontman
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Jay Culter, the Bodybuilder is on massive amounts of HGH and actually his head and JAW have grown considerably from when he first came onto the pro scene in 2000. Look at pictures of Cutler's forehead and jaw from 2000 and look at recent pictures, it's scary.

elsid13
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
No he not on steroids or HGH. He is a guy that access to the best training facilities and nutritionists in the nation. He not the average Joe that works 9 to 5 behind a desk, eats poorly and tries to be weekend athlete. If he doesn't get hurt, I am sure he could play 4 to 5 more years before the grind becomes to much.

SureShot
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Oldest to youngest QBs to win a Super Bowl

(38) John Elway SB XXXIII
(37) John Elway SB XXXII
(36) Jim Plunkett SB XVIII
(35) Roger Staubach SB XII
(34) Len Dawson SB IV
(34) Brad Johnson SB XXXVII
(34) Bart Starr SB II
(33) Joe Montana SB XXIV
(33) Joe Theismann SB XVII
(33) Steve Young SB XXIX
(33) Jim Plunkett SB XV
(33) Bart Starr SB I
(32) Joe Montana SB XXIII
(32) Doug Williams SB XXII
(32) Phil Simms SB XXI
(31) Terry Bradshaw SB XIV
(31) Ken Stabler SB XI
(30) Peyton Manning SB XLI
(30) Terry Bradshaw SB XIII
(29) Roger Staubach SB VI
(29) Jeff Hostetler SB XXV
(29) Mark Rypien SB XXVI
(29) Troy Aikman SB XXX
(28) Bob Griese SB VIII
(28) Trent Dilfer SB XXXV
(28) Joe Montana SB XIX
(28) Kurt Warner SB XXXIV
(27) Craig Morton SB V
(27) Bob Griese SB VIII
(27) Tom Brady SB XXXIX
(27) Terry Bradshaw SB X
(27) Brett Favre SB XXXI
(27) Troy Aikman SB XXVIII
(27) Eli Manning SB XLII
(26) Ben Roethlisberger SB XLIII
(26) Tom Brady SB XXXVIII
(26) Jim McMahon SB XX
(26) Terry Bradshaw SB IX
(26) Troy Aikman SB XXVII
(25) Joe Namath SB III
(25) Joe Montana SB XVI
(24) Tom Brady SB XXXVI
(23) Ben Roethlisberger SB XL

Elway is a muthfunking badass! IIRC he was the most sacked QB of all time when he retired.

SportinOne
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Steroids would lead to roid rage. I don't see any roid rage in his games. I just see a 40-year-old man having fun and leading his team to victories...

Did you see any roid rage in sammy sosa? how about palmiero, or big mac?

i never said whether I condone it or not, that's beside the point. But, it's worth wondering and I just wanted to see if anyone else thought so. I think so. we'll see.

Cito Pelon
01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
It's possible but I'd say unlikely. Even if he is using them to heal, I'd think he'd have more muscle definition at 40 if he was really using them to enhance his performance in any way.

Just my 2 cents, I think people are quick to point the finger at PED when some people just work hard and maintain good physical condition. I don't even think Favre is in that great of a condition, he's just happy to be on a winning team and having the chance to go to the SB, that probably weighs more than anything else.

And him having one of his best seasons has very much to do with his o-line, RB, and some good receivers aiding along the way. He hasn't been as dangerous with the ball which is definitely different for him.

Heard that before too many times.

strafen
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM

I of course don't have any proof that he's using performance enhancing drugs or not.
What I find odd is that he hasn't gotten hurt as much as he has in the past for a 40 years old QB.
He went thru surgery going into this season, and he has seemed to have recovered very well.
One of those things that make you go hmm?!

TDmvp
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
He should try some

http://almightydad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Hooked-on-Phonics.JPG

and fix how he says or spells his name ...

ZONA
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
HGH doesn't do jack for your brain. So much of a QB's success has to do with how smart he is and his supporting cast. He clearly has one hell of a team around him and that probably makes the decision making a little easier. It's not like he has thrown for 40 TD's and 5000 yards. He's just not making stupid mistakes and I don't see how anybody could say that has anything to do with HGH.