PDA

View Full Version : We were 8-8 because of the Defense!!!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Thats right I said it!

Oh wait a second. Whats this nfl.com has our D rank right here.
PTS 20.2 (12th)
YDS 315.0 (7th)
PASS YDS 186.3 (3rd)
RUSH YDS 128.7 (26th)
Last year we were.
PTS 20.4 (20th)
YDS 341.4 (15th)
PASS YDS 226.7 (13th)
RUSH YDS 114.8 (18th)

Hmmmm. Do you think that Nolan was scapgoated?

Hows that kool-aid going down now?

watermock
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
We would of gone to the SB maybe with a RB and some D.

We're done now.

It's funny how some ignorants grab the spotlight.

That lil **** has demolished the team.

Popps
01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/149/comicbookguybestthreadedn6.jpg

Popps
01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I love how he was like... sarcastic, but the like... wasn't, but then was again!

He SO burned us all!

Archer81
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Thats right I said it!

PTS 20.2 (12th)
YDS 315.0 (7th)
PASS YDS 186.3 (3rd)
RUSH YDS 128.7 (26th)
Last year we were.
PTS 20.4 (20th)
YDS 341.4 (15th)
PASS YDS 226.7 (13th)
RUSH YDS 114.8 (18th)

Wow. Think hard on this one did ya?

:Broncos:

Popps
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
By the way, don't you need to be fired to be a "scapegoat?"

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM

We're done now.

I always knew that one day Coach Shannhan would leave.
I knew that Cutler would leave.

The only thing that i hope for a new coach that could handle himself with maturity and players that played with passion. Now I got a lil nep who can't lead ants to a picnic and a Qb that is willing to throw a ball up just to get it out of his hands.

So this is year one. I figure another year and we can get a good coach in here to right this ship.

Popps
Wow. Think hard on this one did ya?

LOL

You can just picture hands furiously typing... as he thought to himself... "wait until they see THIS! I'VE DONE IT!"

Hilarious!

Archer81

No...Uhh...no. Like...cuz...McDaniels is like...all Machiavelli and stuff...Uhh...yeah.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM

No.

Popps
01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
No.

Oh, well I thought you sort of had to be blamed to be a scapegoat. Apparently it wasn't McDaniels idea.

Anyway, I'm probably just too disoriented from that major burn you just threw on us all with this thread.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh, well I thought you sort of had to be blamed to be a scapegoat. Apparently it wasn't McDaniels idea.

Anyway, I'm probably just too disoriented from that major burn you just threw on us all with this thread.

When you got the news in your text message your sub-text option must have been turnoff.

Let me spell it out for you.
1.)The Phin's were asking to interview Nolan for the DC job.
2.)Nolan made a 15th ranked D to 7th in yards in one year.
3.) Nolan thinks that making a Lateral move is good!

SportinOne
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Thats right I said it!

PTS 20.2 (12th)
YDS 315.0 (7th)
PASS YDS 186.3 (3rd)
RUSH YDS 128.7 (26th)
Last year we were.
PTS 20.4 (20th)
YDS 341.4 (15th)
PASS YDS 226.7 (13th)
RUSH YDS 114.8 (18th)

I'm not really even sure what you are arguing.. first of all

second, those stats are wrong. we gave up way more last year.

Popps
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
When you got the news in your text message your sub-text option must have been turnoff.

Wow bro, you are like... deep!

Let me spell it out for you.

Please, I mean... after that major burn of an OP, I think I speak for the whole forum when I say... you can't post enough!

1.)The Phin's were asking to interview Nolan for the DC job.
2.)Nolan made a 15th ranked D to 7th in yards in one year.
3.) Nolan thinks that making a Lateral move is good!

You have no idea what happened. You're some slob on a message board. We'll know what happened when we have considerably more time and information.

KevinJames
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Is there defensive rankings from week the second half of the season alone?

cause we were pretty bad.....

we let Jamarcus Russel drive on us to win the game.......we let Jamal Charles have a career day on us.......

pretty sure we were playing from behind for more minutes the we were playing with the lead in the 2nd half of the season.

broncocalijohn
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM

We're done now.

we were not going to the superbowl next year. You know damn well u didnt think so either.

Popps
01-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Is there defensive rankings from week the second half of the season alone?

cause we were pretty bad.....

we let Jamarcus Russel drive on us to win the game.......we let Jamal Charles have a career day on us.......

pretty sure we were playing from behind for more minutes the we were playing with the lead in the 2nd half of the season.

Exactly.

Why is it so hard for people to just realize we had issues on both sides of the ball?

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Exactly.

Why is it so hard for people to just realize we had issues on both sides of the ball?

Well the D should get a huge boost from letting Nolan walk right? I mean he was the problem wasn't he?

Popps
01-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Well the D should get a huge boost from letting Nolan walk right? I mean he was the problem wasn't he?

I have no idea, but I know that I never said that... remotely.

In fact, I've been making the talent-argument, more than anything.

Again, if you're going to play along... at least pay attention.

KevinJames
01-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Stop acting like we just mutually agreed to part ways with Dick LeBeau.

Nobody said we would get a huge boost I liked Nolan and he did his part but hes not the main reason we were better on defense, I think it had more to do with the players especially the FA class of Brian Dawkins, Andra Davis, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Ronald Fields, Vonnie Holiday, Darelle Reid who all had pretty good years.

Also the switch in scheme was definitely another huge reason but remember it was a combo of Nolan and McDaniels vision, McD wanted an attacking swarming 3-4 defense regardless. I didn't see much attacking over the last few weeks tho it was more like the defense was being attacked and I am sure he took note of this too.

Since we already have a 3-4 installed and if we bring in someone like a Dean Pees or Pepper Johnson than we can continue building it.

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I have no idea, but I know that I never said that... remotely.

In fact, I've been making the talent-argument, more than anything.

Again, if you're going to play along... at least pay attention.

I know you're not one of them popps but lets not pretend that people are not throwing Nolan under the bus all of the sudden and not one of them is a McD lover. To me it's just like Cutler. When he is here the majority loves him but when he is gone he was over-rated from the start. When McD does leave he will be cast in the same light as 90% of the rest of the former Broncos.

Popps
01-19-2010, 01:01 AM
I know you're not one of them popps but lets not pretend that people are not throwing Nolan under the bus all of the sudden and not one of them is a McD lover. .

Well, I won't go into names, but at least on of the people who has sort of called out Nolan is NOT a huge McD supporter. But, to an extent, you are seeing more people question his D's finish now that this news is out.

It's human nature. That said, we saw some questions around here before this.
Not many, but people WERE frustrated that we couldn't stop Jamarcus Russell when we needed to, etc.

I To me it's just like Cutler. When he is here the majority loves him but when he is gone he was over-rated from the start..

Don't agree at all.

Go back and dig up the Rivers v. Cutler thread. Plenty, if not MOST people thought Cutler had real limitations, and most thought Rivers was better... when C was still a Bronco.

People may voice it more after the fact, but some of that existed before.
You KNOW I was questioning Cutler's leadership and mechanics going back to his rookie season.

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Well, I won't go into names, but at least on of the people who has sort of called out Nolan is NOT a huge McD supporter. But, to an extent, you are seeing more people question his D's finish now that this news is out.

It's human nature. That said, we saw some questions around here before this.
Not many, but people WERE frustrated that we couldn't stop Jamarcus Russell when we needed to, etc.

Don't agree at all.

Go back and dig up the Rivers v. Cutler thread. Plenty, if not MOST people thought Cutler had real limitations, and most thought Rivers was better... when C was still a Bronco.

People may voice it more after the fact, but some of that existed before.
You KNOW I was questioning Cutler's leadership and mechanics going back to his rookie season.

I guess if they wanted Cutler traded I am wrong. I thought most people wanted him to work on stuff.

Popps
01-19-2010, 01:38 AM
I guess if they wanted Cutler traded I am wrong. I thought most people wanted him to work on stuff.

That's certainly how it started. I think people eventually wondered if he ever would, and if he was being pushed. I always wondered if we even had a real QB coach.

Anyway, sucks that Nolan is gone... but let's see who comes in before we panic. I really like a couple ideas I've heard, and we've got some talent there to work with. We'll clearly go out and try to add more.

barryr
01-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Those will blinders will always believe Shanahan left some great roster ready to be a Super Bowl team any day and McDaniels turned it all into mush. Trying to reason with them is pointless.

Cito Pelon
01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Thats right I said it!

PTS 20.2 (12th)
YDS 315.0 (7th)
PASS YDS 186.3 (3rd)
RUSH YDS 128.7 (26th)
Last year we were.
PTS 20.4 (20th)
YDS 341.4 (15th)
PASS YDS 226.7 (13th)
RUSH YDS 114.8 (18th)

Lord, make sense US. You used to be a good poster.

McD wanted to keep Nolan, he wasn't fired, therefore not a scapegoat.

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I don't know how you can want to keep someone yet come to mutual terms to part ways. As far as the scapegoat goes, I think the fans coming out of the blue claiming "he wasn't good" "the D failed to stop anyone during the losing streak" speaks for itself.

Popps
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know how you can want to keep someone yet come to mutual terms to part ways. .

It sounds to me like two things might be true in this situation...

1. McDaniels wants to run things his way, using his system and he wants a say in personnel.

2. Nolan wants to run things his way, using his system and he wants total control over personnel.

If I had to guess... this sounds like a case of two very similar personalities having to exist on the same team. There have been no reports of discord, so much as just philosophical differences.

Is Josh hard to work with? Perhaps. Maybe. Is he an asshole? Could be. i have no idea what he's like behind the scenes. I do know that PLENTY OF GREAT COACHES ARE ASSHOLES.

Remember, Mike Shanahan came into Denver with slightly more credentials, and ran the organization the exact same way... minus some of the drama.
So, time will tell whether we have a pain in the ass, or a strong-minded, success-oriented coach.

Cito Pelon
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't know how you can want to keep someone yet come to mutual terms to part ways. As far as the scapegoat goes, I think the fans coming out of the blue claiming "he wasn't good" "the D failed to stop anyone during the losing streak" speaks for itself.

If McD refused interview requests, then it follows that he wanted to keep Nolan. And Josh sure wasn't gonna force the guy to stay, right? Although he could have, right? So it was a mutual parting of the ways.

I don't know where you got this "scapegoat" thing from, but I haven't read but 20-30 of the posts since Nolan departed.

DBroncos4life
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
If McD refused interview requests, then it follows that he wanted to keep Nolan. And Josh sure wasn't gonna force the guy to stay, right? Although he could have, right? So it was a mutual parting of the ways.

I don't know where you got this "scapegoat" thing from, but I haven't read but 20-30 of the posts since Nolan departed.

Well if you really want someone to stay that is under contract he isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't call someone honoring their contract being forced to stay either. I agree with Popps that they each had different views on how to run the defense. My biggest problem is how much control McD wants over everything. Sure he is the HC and that is his right but what is the point of having any type of good DC around if you are just going to put your hands on everything he is trying to do. Nolan has a very good track record when it comes to D's. McD? I know he has dabbled in coaching on the D but that is far from one of his strengths. I have seen coaches fail trying to do to much and I don't think McD will have much success trying to do everything as well.

listopencil
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Wait, is Ultimate Soldier the same ****ing dumbass that wrote the ****ty article and posted it here a while ago?

DenverBrit
01-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Thats right I said it!

PTS 20.2 (12th)
YDS 315.0 (7th)
PASS YDS 186.3 (3rd)
RUSH YDS 128.7 (26th)
Last year we were.
PTS 20.4 (20th)
YDS 341.4 (15th)
PASS YDS 226.7 (13th)
RUSH YDS 114.8 (18th)

First, stop the run.

Denver was close to one of the worst in the league defending the run.

Can't win that way, unless Peyton Manning is the QB.

colonelbeef
01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Wow bro, you are like... deep!

Please, I mean... after that major burn of an OP, I think I speak for the whole forum when I say... you can't post enough!

You have no idea what happened. You're some slob on a message board. We'll know what happened when we have considerably more time and information.

What the hell are you talking about? We know exactly all we need to know. Nolan made a lateral move away from the Broncos and McDaniels, period, end of story. Only a homer moron would think that there was a good, helpful, promising reason as to why.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM

"Used to be"? Ok kool-aid drinker. pop quiz hot shot. During our 4 game losing skid when was our first long pass to get the LB to drop back?

Archer81
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Wait, is Ultimate Soldier the same ****ing dumbass that wrote the ****ty article and posted it here a while ago?

I think you mean Bronco Warrior...a legend in his own mind...

ZONA
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
First, stop the run.

Denver was close to one of the worst in the league defending the run.

Can't win that way, unless Peyton Manning is the QB.

You beat me to it. First goal on defense is the one we were near the bottom of the league in, stopping the run.

I think too many people are over reacting here. I'm sure Nolan did some very good things for this team and part of the improvement we saw in most of the overall defensive catagories. But you also have to look at just how bad this defense was last year. Just by cutting the scrub players and bringing in some decent talent alone was enough to probably bump us up a few notches. But as I said before, all the credit does not go to Nolan on the defensive improvements and not all the blame goes on him for their collapse at the end.

Cito Pelon
01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
"Used to be"? Ok kool-aid drinker. pop quiz hot shot. During our 4 game losing skid when was our first long pass to get the LB to drop back?

No doubt the O and ST's didn't hold up their end of the bargain, but the D gave up 159 yds per game rushing in the final 10 games of the season, US. Hard to win that way.