PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nolan gone???!!!!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TheDave
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Dolphins hire Nolan

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 2:07 PM ET
Yesterday at this time, Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Today, he's the defensive coordinator of the Dolphins.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the deal is done.

It's still not clear why Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels mutually decided to part ways. But, apparently, Nolan had a bird in the hand before he bolted from the Broncos.

Holy ****... that was quick.

gyldenlove
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Assuming that reports are correct that Nolan wanted more autonomy over his defense than McDaniels allowed for last year, coupled with the fact that Nolan in the past has run read and react defenses, while Josh comes from a background of agressive defense, couldn't it make sense then that the success that our defense had this year with blitzing was at least partly due to McDaniels and his game plans?

Since when is Mcdaniels a Lebeau, Jimmi Johnson or Rex Ryan disciple? The Patriots run a pretty unaggressive defense.

I am not sure where this illusion that the Patriots are aggressive comes from, they ask their OLBs to do more covering and less blitzing than any other 3-4 team I know of.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Dolphins hire Nolan

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 2:07 PM ET
Yesterday at this time, Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Today, he's the defensive coordinator of the Dolphins.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the deal is done.

It's still not clear why Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels mutually decided to part ways. But, apparently, Nolan had a bird in the hand before he bolted from the Broncos.

Well, I guess maybe Parcells was behind this all along.

Doesn't this deserve its own thread?

bendog
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
glydenlove,

I think that's largely true. Parcell's scheme relies more on rush from the OLBers. But billicheat is known for both changing cover schemes, and disguising the changes by not moving guys around prior to the snap. But billicheat isn't shy of stuff like dropping a down guy into a short zone and blitzing an ILB, or bringing the corner with the OLB in short zone covering the flat and a short slant. It's not that both don't work with suitable players. I recall reading in the post last fall that Nolan went with more of a almost 5 man dline attacking scheme than a true 3-4 because he was working with the personnel available. That may have been even more true of run defense than pass, becuase Mario Hagen is more a vertical than lateral type guy.

lil Josh wants a scheme he's familiar with and wants more input. I don't blame him, really.

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Holy ****... that was quick.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-wf2pP7T0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-wf2pP7T0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

24champ
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Can we file tampering charges vs the Dolphins?

Seems way too quick for Nolan to get a job at Miami.

WolfpackGuy
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm surprised the Broncos aren't throwing in a first round pick.

Rohirrim
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised the Broncos aren't throwing in a first round pick.

Ha!

broncocalijohn
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Seems this way. He had more money offered while under contract with the broncos? Doesnt pass the smell test in my book.

RaiderH8r
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Seems this way. He had more money offered while under contract with the broncos? Doesnt pass the smell test in my book.

Or he saw the impending implosion and grabbed the first life raft out of town.

worm
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Or he saw the impending implosion and grabbed the first life raft out of town.

Amazingly that life raft is going to a job that was just turned down by two other candidates for lesser jobs.

Candidate #1 said this:
Al Groh, who was let go by Virginia after the season, felt staying in college was a better fit than returning to the NFL. That's why the Bill Parcells protege agreed to become Georgia Tech's defensive coordinator.

"Bill's not the coach," Groh said in an interview with ESPN.com. "And the coach is the person you work with on a daily basis. Bill is very disciplined. ... He [lets] the coach coach the way he wants to, just as Bill always wanted it to be when he was the coach."

Candidate #2 did this:
Keith Butler, who had a working relationship with Dolphins coach Tony Sparano from their time together on the Browns' staff, decided that remaining a position coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers was the best move for him.

bendog
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
interesting. imo al Groh is underemployed.