PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rookie Head Coaches playing for SB birth.

broncosteven
01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
So apparently I was wrong about being able to go to the SB with a 1st time HC.

Both Caldwell and Ryan get to fight it out for the AFC Championship and a trip to the SB.

I know the coaching change was never about winning now and more about a change in direction and building for the future. I just hope the future is as bright as it is in NY and Indy right now.

SoDak Bronco
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
i don't count Cadwell...this is Peyton's team, end of story.

lostknight
01-17-2010, 07:25 PM
But but but... i thought that McDaniels was the unquestioned best of the young head coaches.

broncosteven
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
But but but... i thought that McDaniels was the unquestioned best of the young head coaches.

Around here was in the running for HC of the year...

...until 2-8 happened.

RhymesayersDU
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Indeed, I'm far more impressed with Rex.

TheDave
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Can't argue with that...

Gob
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Around here was in the running for HC of the year...

...until 2-8 happened.

In McDaniels defense, we did win his superbowl against the Patriots with a record of 5-0. It's not his fault the season didn't end then.

broncosteven
01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
In McDaniels defense, we did win his superbowl against the Patriots with a record of 5-0. It's not his fault the season didn't end then.

Know I know how it must feel to be a KFC fan and them beating us being their SB and all.

Gort
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
...until 2-8 happened.

it didn't just happen. McD had a hand in it. i'm not anti-McD at this point, but i really feel like he screwed up trying to completely remake the team in 1 season. keeping the ZBS until we had a bigger OL would have taken alot of pressure off Orton and i think the Broncos would have won 2-4 more games this past year. McD needs to learn from that major mistake. but make no mistake... he had a significant hand in that 2-8 slide.

Bronco LB52
01-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Red Miller did it baby!

Pony Boy
01-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm more impressed with a rookie QB...

enjolras
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
The Jets have been building towards a much improved team for several years. Their drafts have been pretty damn solid, particularly with an emphasis on building from the inside out. The Broncos... not so much.

Popps
01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
The Jets have been building towards a much improved team for several years. Their drafts have been pretty damn solid, particularly with an emphasis on building from the inside out. The Broncos... not so much.

Exactly.

We had a few good draft picks, a ton of bad ones and horrible FA periods for years. You can't fix all of that in one season.

cabronco
01-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Didnt the Broncos beat them up in their own back yard a couple years ago, with our rocket arm qb and they had Favrer.

But you are right, on draft day their picks never seemed sexy picks and their fan base would collectively boo. But they got good lineman in the draft & free agency to bolster both lines. They have good young talent.

bpc
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
People can say what they want. Rex Ryan is a master in terms of getting the most out of his players, and he's a defensive genius. I don't think anybody is going to confuse the offense with anything exotic. Still, they will keep you off the board and will run the ball down your throats. Sanchez is getting the chance to have one of those sneaky good years like Brady in his first full season, along with Roethlisberger. The chance at going along for the road will do wonders for him, his experience and long term future.

Pretty sad that the guy couldn't even garner an interview in Denver with Joe Ellis.

bpc
01-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sure some are going to call for Tony Dungy to make the hall of fame because of his success in Indy... anybody with a brain knows that it was pre-ordained that the Colts were going to win a ton of games with Manning at the helm.

That hasn't changed as Caldwell has taken over. Manning is a machine. He's the best offensive player on the field in the league, and he's also the defenses best friend as he eats up lots of clock, sustains long drives and doesn't turn the ball over all that often.

Rex Ryan should get a ton of credit. The thing i've been most impressed with isn't his defensive coaching abilities... we all should have taken note that those were there after being tutored by his dad, Marvin Lewis, and Mike Nolan... it's the fact that the guy has amazing pull in the locker room, and he motivates them to play hard all the time.

There are certain guys throughout the history of the NFL, and even in college, that speak and get the team to play at 100% capacity. They can do outlandish things like make claims to the media, start rookie QB's, and they just always seem to land on their feet.

Great hire by the Jets. Rex Ryan is making a bunch of teams look REALLY stupid for the way they conducted their head coaching searches last year. Good for the Jets. They're a fun team to watch, and they play the right way. Tough, hard nosed, loose, and aggressive. They also don't make stupid, outlandish personnel decisions either. That goes without saying though.

Killericon
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Rex Ryan has had one of the all time best seasons by a rookie head coach, and you guys are pissed that McDaniels didn't have one too? Man, talk about your unreasonable expectations.

rastaman
01-18-2010, 06:08 AM
So apparently I was wrong about being able to go to the SB with a 1st time HC.

Both Caldwell and Ryan get to fight it out for the AFC Championship and a trip to the SB.

I know the coaching change was never about winning now and more about a change in direction and building for the future. I just hope the future is as bright as it is in NY and Indy right now.

Caldwell is on the verge of possibly taking the Colts to the SB as a 1st HC b/c he enherited a turn key operation and a winning blue print already in place for the last 10 years! All Caldwell needed to do is not piss off his starting QB or go behind Manning' back to look into possible trading him for another QB and several first round unproven draft picks. Ya see Caldwell wasn't interested into turning the Colts into his TEAM during his first year of coaching like some other Rookie HC's (we won't mention any names) have tried to do. Should Caldwell take the Colts to the SB....he will infact be taking Dungy's Colts to the SB. The Colts won't be Caldwell's team at least for another 3 years.

As for Ryan, Lady Luck has shinned on him and his team more than once. The stars lined up for the Jets, in regards the Colts GM Polian deciding to throw a game or bone the Jets way......and the Jets simple winning the games to get into the WC and of course once getting into the post season have become a force to be reckoned with. What's most important is that Ryan was a seasoned wily veteran assistant and coordinator who had paid his dues for 10 plus years and while in his late 40's, he has proven he has the mettle to be successful as a first year HC. I'd say had Ryan been 30 something, he may not have had the experience to have taken the Jets to just within one game from the SB.

tsiguy96
01-18-2010, 06:27 AM
people need to stop acting like bowlen, mcdaniels etc can predict the future. they cant, they can just do what they feel is in the best interest of the team and making it better. you people bitch non stop about mcdaniels first draft, big deal, he has already addressed the fact that he knows he needs to do better in getting contributing rookies, but you dont care he wasted out first draft grrr!!!

stop looking in hindsight and pretending you predicted what would actually happen when in reality, you didnt. if you were 100% wrong you would never admit it, but everytime mcdaniels does osmething thats not perfect, be sure to cry about it non stop until we all know you hate him!

Ziggy
01-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Ryan inherited a team with a great offensive line, a great running game, and a ton of defensive talent. The Broncos had none of those things in place. Ryan has a GM in place that has been drafting well for years, and building a team the right way. McDaniels inherited a team that has taken the "1 player away" approach for nearly a decade. In doing so, the offensive and defensive line have fallen into shambles.

Other than Clady, and possibly Harris, the Broncos don't have a single player that could start for the Jets on both the offensive and defensive lines. That's where games are won in the NFL. To compare McDaniels progress with the talent that he inherited here, and Ryan's progress with the team he inherited is ignorance at it's finest.

As far as the Colts are concerned, Caldwell stepped into a team that is a perennial Super Bowl contender. Again, it's apples and oranges.

WolfpackGuy
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM
So they have a due date of February 7th?

I'm confused...

Rohirrim
01-18-2010, 07:30 AM
The Jets hired a coach that fit the team they were already putting together. Bowlen hired somebody to come in and start fresh, from the ground up, changing philosophies and personnel.

I think during most games Coach Caldwell's job is to tap his headset and go, "Is this on?"

Pick Six
01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm more impressed with a rookie QB...

This. Fans of the Jets have a pretty good QB, going into the future...:thumbsup:

HAT
01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
So they have a due date of February 7th?

I'm confused...

Sounds painful....I hope they get an epidural. :giggle:

Mediator12
01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Still surprised people are missing the fact the way the Jets got here. Unless INDY pulls Manning & co and plays their second and third defenders for most of the game the JETS are another team that fails to make the playoffs with a rookie HC. Yes, they deserve huge kudos for eliminating CIN and especailly pathetic SD. However, they are making the most of the gift they were given.

Rohirrim
01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Still surprised people are missing the fact the way the Jets got here. Unless INDY pulls Manning & co and plays their second and third defenders for most of the game the JETS are another team that fails to make the playoffs with a rookie HC. Yes, they deserve huge kudos for eliminating CIN and especailly pathetic SD. However, they are making the most of the gift they were given.

Unless they beat Manning & Co next week, which will make the whole "bye" thing moot.

tsiguy96
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM

dont forgot teams are 0-5 against the jets in field goals. they have played very hard and very well, but they are not as good as advertised i dont think, and either NFC team will destroy them, especially brees vs jets, it would be a blowout after first half.

broncosteven
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM

I listened to that point in the car on talk radio here in Chicago.

Sure Indy played their 2nd teamers but the Jets still had to go out and win the game.

Our gift game was playing the Raiders at HOME when they had to field 3 QB's and the QB who was benched for not knowing the playbook or spending time working on his craft beat us, AT HOME.

Jets were prepared to play the week they played Indy's scrubs, Denver wasn't prepared for Oakland and their scrub QB's.

broncosteven
01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
people need to stop acting like bowlen, mcdaniels etc can predict the future. they cant, they can just do what they feel is in the best interest of the team and making it better. you people b**** non stop about mcdaniels first draft, big deal, he has already addressed the fact that he knows he needs to do better in getting contributing rookies, but you dont care he wasted out first draft grrr!!!

stop looking in hindsight and pretending you predicted what would actually happen when in reality, you didnt. if you were 100% wrong you would never admit it, but everytime mcdaniels does osmething thats not perfect, be sure to cry about it non stop until we all know you hate him!

GRRRRRRR right back at ya!

briane
01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

exactally, they would be to this point with a dog turd as the head coach... except peyton would have went for the 16-0...

The only thing caldwell has brought to them was not trying for the undefeated season.

Rex Ryans job is much more impressive, I thought it would take 5 years to clean up the mangeini mess...

bpc
01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Ryan inherited a team with a great offensive line, a great running game, and a ton of defensive talent. The Broncos had none of those things in place. Ryan has a GM in place that has been drafting well for years, and building a team the right way. McDaniels inherited a team that has taken the "1 player away" approach for nearly a decade. In doing so, the offensive and defensive line have fallen into shambles.

Other than Clady, and possibly Harris, the Broncos don't have a single player that could start for the Jets on both the offensive and defensive lines. That's where games are won in the NFL. To compare McDaniels progress with the talent that he inherited here, and Ryan's progress with the team he inherited is ignorance at it's finest.

As far as the Colts are concerned, Caldwell stepped into a team that is a perennial Super Bowl contender. Again, it's apples and oranges.

Ryan wanted a crack at this job, because of Cutler.

McD had Cutler and blew it.

While the Jets had some nice players in place, so did Denver. And it was trashed over the offseason and eventually the season. All the value we were building on offense was made irrelevant.

BTW, Denver beat the Jets two years ago, at the their house, in the driving rain with their better running attack and defense. The reason for it was because of guys like Cutler and Hillis.

Wasted.

bpc
01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

And while that can be said Med, there will be no excuses after this weekend. The Jets have a VERY real chance to knock off the Colts.

I'm still picking Indy, like I did at the beginning of the year but this Jets team matches up well in a lot of ways. Key will be for Indy to jump on them early and put Sanchez in a hole and forced into throwing the ball.

Baba Booey
01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
A third grader could coach that Colts team.