PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to DVI question

Los Broncos
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Okay, so my TV is 5 years old. No HDMI, I am hooking my 360 HDMI to a DVI adapter.

Is it because of some issue with using the adapter?

I did the factory reset and still nothing.

I mean, I'm going to buy a new TV within the next month, just wanted some better resolution till then.

At any rate, if it doesn't end up working I can keep the cable and use it with the next TV.

Thanks in advance.

That One Guy
01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't understand... what is the issue? The HDMI doesn't work or the DVI cable doesn't work?

Los Broncos
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't understand... what is the issue? The HDMI doesn't work or the DVI cable doesn't work?

HDMI cable is going into a DVI converter which is hooked into the DVI port.

I think I found the problem online, just wont work I think.

I'll keep the cable and return the adapter for my new TV.

Killericon
01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
You should just get yourself a DVI cable for your 360, I wouldn't trust an adapter.

Los Broncos
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
You should just get yourself a DVI cable for your 360, I wouldn't trust an adapter.

Yeah, I thought I would try it.

I'll return it later and get something else.

DenverBrit
01-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Amazon has some great cable deals. Don't be put off by the rock bottom prices, read the reviews.

I've bought HDMI cables for around a dollar. They work just fine.

Borks147
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
go to monoprice.com

Chris
01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
go to monoprice.com

This. Never go in store.

Archer81
01-17-2010, 01:32 AM
I'd just wait with what you have until you get the new TV. Otherwise you will end up frustrating yourself and smacking baby wallabies. What TV do you think you are gonna get?

:Broncos:

Los Broncos
01-17-2010, 02:24 AM
I'd just wait with what you have until you get the new TV. Otherwise you will end up frustrating yourself and smacking baby wallabies. What TV do you think you are gonna get?

:Broncos:

Yeah I'm just going to wait, I kept the HDMI cable and used on the cable box in my room.

It was hooked up component, looks much better.

The PS3 is hooked up for blue ray.

The one I'm buying is pretty much just for gaming.

I may get DirectTv hooked up so I can get the ticket this season.

So I want 1080p for a great viewing experiance.

Now I am thinking about four different sets.

Sony Bravia 42 $600.00.

Samsung 40 $599.00

Panasonic which someone recommed in another thread.

Seen it today and it's a nice TV.

Sceptre 47 $600.00, this is an offbrand but I have read reviews and seen it at the store.

Good for the money, just don't know at this point yet.

BoulderBum
01-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you've already made a decision, but I've had an xbox hooked up to computer monitors via HDMI to DVI. Obviously you won't get the sound from it, (even if your monitor/tv has speakers), but its possible to crack open an old Composite set of wires for the xbox (take the casing off so that you can fit it in the back of the xbox WITH the hdmi/dvi cable) and hook the sound up to an external receiver. This worked for me.

Los Broncos
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Sounds like you've already made a decision, but I've had an xbox hooked up to computer monitors via HDMI to DVI. Obviously you won't get the sound from it, (even if your monitor/tv has speakers), but its possible to crack open an old Composite set of wires for the xbox (take the casing off so that you can fit it in the back of the xbox WITH the hdmi/dvi cable) and hook the sound up to an external receiver. This worked for me.

Thanks for the advice, but having it hooked up to A/V is good for now.

I'll be buying a new one in a couple of weeks, then I'll be up to speed with the rest of the world :)

AZBroncomaniac
01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
IC,

If you use a DVI port on your TV, did you double check your input selection on your TV menu? I am not an expert, but don't some TV's have this input under "PC IN" or something like that? Worth a shot if you haven't scrolled through all of your available TV inputs.