PDA

View Full Version : Broncos College/High School Profiles

Denver Bronco56
01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Just bored at work and was looking up some stats from DJ Williams at Miami. And then Champ at georgia....Post links of Broncos in College or High School Scouting/Profiles, kinda weird to hear about their potential at the next level.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_d.j.00.html

"D.J. has everything you could want from an athletic standpoint. Now he's becoming one of the best linebackers we've had around here."
-Miami's LB coach

"He Earned USA Today Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior and was regarded as the top defensive player nationally"

"..was the consensus national high school player of the year in 1999"

"Miami Hurricanes linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves has a Frankensteinian idea about how to create the perfect linebacker. Take middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma's analytical mind, football instincts and understanding of the game, competitiveness and ferocious hitting. Then take weak-side linebacker D.J. Williams' speed, athleticism and potential."

"NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. projects both to be selected in the first round, and Williams could be a top-five pick. "

"John Madden said during a De La Salle football banquet that Williams was the only high school player he has ever seen who could go directly to the NFL"

Denver Bronco56
01-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Champ Bailey

"Bailey was literally all over the Jordan-Hare Stadium turf, participating in a career-best 119 plays (62 on defense, 49 on offense and eight on special teams)"

"Perhaps the most versatile athlete at Georgia since two-platoon football, Bailey made his penchant for versatility seem almost second nature. "

"During his All-American junior campaign, Bailey started extensively on both offense, defense and special teams, playing more than 100 plays in six games"

"Rushed for 1,858 yards and 28 touchdowns, while throwing for 277 yards his senior year. For his career rushed for 3,573 yards with 58 touchdowns, threw for 1,211 yards with 10 touchdowns, and 5,855 career total yards with 394 total points."

"Bailey, at 184 pounds, ran a 4.28 second 40-yard dash, 3.79 second 20-yard shuttle and had a vertical jump of 37 inches at the 1999 "

"Bailey set a school indoor long jump record in 1998 of 25-10 3/4 feet "

Denver Bronco56
01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Elvis Dumervil

"when he broke the NCAA single-game sack record (6) in a game "

"He won several awards for the 2005 season, including the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Ted Hendricks Award, Big East player of the year, and First-team All-American."

"tallied a school-record 78 sacks over his prep career"

"There was nobody on the defensive side of the ball that dominated like Elvis Dumervil did in 2005"

"Dumervil won the Big East Defensive Player of the Year Award, Hendricks Award(Best DE), Nagurski(Best defensive player in the nation), and was named to everybody's All-American lists. "

"I sorta used size to my advantage, I could get extra leverage," Dumervil said. "During the season, I knew I was not the proto-typical defensive end. I knew I had to work that much harder, if I wanted to pursue a career at the next level. "

"With his fast start, Dumervil has charged up to seventh on Louisville's all-time sacks list. He needs only five more to crack the top five and if he maintains his freakish 4.5-sacks per game average, he'll be the school's all-time leader by November."

"The clan also included Elvis' older brother, former Syracuse linebacker James Dumervil; former Syracuse defensive lineman Louis Gachelin and former Louisville safety Curry Burns."

Jason in LA
01-17-2010, 08:15 AM
The best players, like Champ Bailey, are just great all around football players. They can play anywhere, so it's not surprising to see him run all over the place as a RB in high school. I've been covering high school football for a few years now, and the best players don't come off the field. And they are great on both sides of the field. They end up specializing at one position, but they can be plugged in anywhere.

When I was in high school I was teammates with Az Hakim. He was All City at CB. The reason he wasn't All City at WR his senior year was because he was moved to QB for four games because our offense wasn't moving the ball. We switched to the wishbone mid season. The final game of the season, when he was moved back to WR, he ended up playing tailback that game because our tailback, who should have been playing in the NFL if he hadn't ended up in jail (he's the one that got Az caught up in the rap case while they were at San Diego St), got into a fight in the first quarter of the game and was ejected. Az, at RB, ran all over the damn place in a position that he hadn't even practiced in his high school career.

It's amazing to see future NFL talent playing at the high school level. They are just way better than everybody else.