PDA

View Full Version : Would McD consider bringing in Moss

oubronco
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Here is an interesting look at a potential divorce in New England between the Patriots and receiver Randy Moss. If that does occur, I wonder if former New England defensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would consider Moss in Denver. The two had a good working relationship. With Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall perhaps on his way out from Denver, there could be an opening. Might be worth keeping an eye on down the road.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9155/a-case-for-the-pats-to-dump-randy-moss

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Yea lets get rid of a Wr in Marshall in his prime and a budding superstar for one at this point with Moss's age brings 0 to the table ...

Sounds like something Josh would do tho actually ....

http://creativegreenius.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/shipment-of-fail.jpg

TheDave
01-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Can Orton throw deep accurately enough to take advantage of Moss?

I'm not sure he can...

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure he can...

Moss isn't really a deep threat anymore ... He is a older less skilled version of Marshall ...

Edit: with worse hands than Marshall ...

Rabb
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

I'm not sure he can...

yeah I don't see this as being a good fit

which means, he is ours now

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
And like any of this matters as long as Dave Grohl with down's is still our Qb...

TheDave
01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Moss isn't really a deep threat anymore ... He is a older less skilled version of Marshall ...

Well let me put it this way, If moss has lost his speed then there is no reason for anyone to want him. I was assuming he could still run.

jhat01
01-15-2010, 09:50 AM
meh...if he does, I would hope it's on the cheap. Not a player I would do backflips over.

DrFate
01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
We all know what a model citizen Moss is on a team that struggles to get to .500

oubronco
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Just gazing thru all the posts it seems the majority could care less and I'd rather have Boldin

Hercules Rockefeller
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Yea lets get rid of a Wr in Marshall in his prime and a budding superstar for one at this point with Moss's age brings 0 to the table ...

Yeah, McDaniels is going to get rid of Marshall so he can bring in Moss. Absolutely brilliant thinking because Marshall's done nothing here that might lead someone to believe that he's on his way out, without even bringing Moss into the conversation.

Oh, and Moss does bring nothing to the table, you're right on that too. He only averaged 15 yds per catch, tied for the league lead in TDs and was 5th in the league in yardage despite being 12th in receptions. ****ing washed up bum.

rastaman
01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Would Boldin or Moss want to come to a team that only utilizes a dink n dunk passing attack that rearely throws the deep ball with a suspect QB that shows streaks of inaccuracies on throwing the deep ball or hitting receivers in full stride?

I'm not saying Kyle can't throw the slant rout accurately or hit the deep pass patterns. The point is, due to McD's archaic predictable game planning from last seasons, these questions and concerns have yet to be answered.

Although Marshall hasn't come out publically to Bash Orton's lack of arm strength and accuracy and as well, McD's unimaginative offensive schemes......you must admit that these are some of the reasons why Marshall will not be breaking his neck to resign here in Denver.

rastaman
01-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Just gazing thru all the posts it seems the majority could care less and I'd rather have Boldin

The only problem with Boldin is his injuries seem to be mounting. He always seem to be dinged up the last couple of seasons.

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Dez Bryant.....

BroncoMan4ever
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Dez Bryant.....

agreed. i say tender Marshall 1st and 3rd, and when we get those picks, take Dez Bryant and Iupati in the 1st.

watermock
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm sure McD has Moss targeted. Ha!

It's very risky to move Marshall, but it will happen, despite the dropoff of Royal.

Gaffney is nowhere near a #1, and I don't think Moreno is a true #! back.

We don't have near the flex we had last year without losing another probowl player.

I hope we draft Dez, but you never know with WR's. Look at Miles Austin.

Los Broncos
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't bring that guy anywhere near Denver, we have enough drama.

DHallblows
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Here is an interesting look at a potential divorce in New England between the Patriots and receiver Randy Moss. If that does occur, I wonder if former New England defensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would consider Moss in Denver. The two had a good working relationship. With Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall perhaps on his way out from Denver, there could be an opening. Might be worth keeping an eye on down the road.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9155/a-case-for-the-pats-to-dump-randy-moss

This is the most shocking part to me :wiggle:

DBroncos4life
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm sure our team captains would love having someone they can call out for not playing hard around.

misturanderson
01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, McDaniels is going to get rid of Marshall so he can bring in Moss. Absolutely brilliant thinking because Marshall's done nothing here that might lead someone to believe that he's on his way out, without even bringing Moss into the conversation.

Oh, and Moss does bring nothing to the table, you're right on that too. He only averaged 15 yds per catch, tied for the league lead in TDs and was 5th in the league in yardage despite being 12th in receptions. ****ing washed up bum.

That and he's just 2 years removed from setting the league record for TD receptions. He has a nose for the end zone. And he isn't just a deep threat, he's also great with jump balls.

NFLBRONCO
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Look at WR position on our team you decide what's needed esp if BM is traded. Royal and Gaffney are longest options. I WANT MORE SPEED ON OFFENSE PLEASE. We might be slowest offense in NFL.

yavoon
01-15-2010, 03:15 PM
randy moss looks really really ****ty at times now. I don't know what kind of coach you'd have to be to take the chance that you're gna motivate moss better than bellicheat and brady.

supermanhr9
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I would much rather get something more for Marshall, however saying that Marshall has better hands is absurd. When Randy isn't pissed at the world, he has some of the best hands of all time, along with freaky onfield awareness to where his feet are. Don't let him fool you either, Moss is still a deep threat, and always will be as long as he is in the NFL. I gurantee you Moss draws more coverage from the secondary than Marshall does?

However that being said, I don't think that is a good idea, but if it happened, I'd probably buy a jersey cause I love Moss

NFLBRONCO
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
If we are SB ready yeah on Moss
Rebuilding mode like we are Moss would be a disaster

loborugger
01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey, while we are at it, lets see if we can get Buffalo to send us TO, too!

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM

This picture gets less and less funny the more times you use it. Just sayin..

Popps
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM

McDaniels had an extremely productive free agency period last year. Probably better than the last 4-5 years combined.

He also helped work through Marshall's problems and got him back on the field. He proved to be a big supporter of Marshall all season long, until Brandon apparently had a change of heart in week 16.

So, I'm not sure upon what claim you base this notion that McDaniels would make reckless, silly free agent moves.... or that he doesn't respect Marshall's talent. Both of those notions are easily disproved.

maher_tyler
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Boldin would be the only other WR we could get that would make me feel better about losing Marshall...if we do!!

Natedog24
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM
If we are SB ready yeah on Moss
Rebuilding mode like we are Moss would be a disaster

Bingo

Baba Booey
01-16-2010, 01:39 AM
And like any of this matters as long as Dave Grohl with down's is still our Qb...

repped

extralife
01-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Moss isn't just a speed guy. For a couple years in Minnesota he was a 110 catch kind of guy. He <i>can</i> do anything, and if defenses believe Orton can get the ball down the field <i>at all</i> teams will honor Moss's deep ball ability. Even today, teams game plan around stopping Moss more than any other player in the league. Wes Welker doesn't get 110+ catches every year because he's the most talented guy in the world.

It's an odd fit, but we certainly are in need of a number 1 receiver and there's obviously a familiarity with the system and coach. Easily worth a shot.

Drek
01-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Makes sense to me.

They're going to tender Marshall at a 1st and 3rd. If some team bites they aren't going to fight to keep him. Hell, if someone offers up just a 1st they'll probably take it quite happily.

At that point if Moss is available he's the perfect choice to let us implement McDaniels offense appropriately. Marshall doesn't fit the X or the Z role in that offense, he fits the Y role which was always played by guys like Gaffney, and so in order to funnel passes to Marshall McDaniels had to go against the grain of his offense's strengths (like not making best use of the slot WR, and putting Royal out on the wing).

That offense is largely tailor made for Moss to be the X, which bumps Royal to the Z where he could actually live up to the promise of Wes Welker type seasons. Gaffney has already shown he can more than handle the Y job, both in New England and here.

Orton needs to work on his deep ball this off-season for us to really see ideal growth, but Tom Brady's deep ball wasn't real impressive when he first entered the league either and it flourished under McDaniels' coaching so we shouldn't rule anything out with Orton.

If Boldin could be had for a reasonable price he'd make a great Y instead of Gaffney, but he's been far too injury prone to count on or give a huge pay day to acquire.

eddie mac
01-16-2010, 05:14 AM

You sure you aren't talking about Santana???

That's a ridiculous statement about Randy. He may well older than Marshall but even at this point in their career's he's still the better receiver and he's faster than Marshall.

LongDongJohnson
01-16-2010, 05:34 AM
moss is a beast and a great wr. I don't know what you idiots are talking about.

elsid13
01-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Aging Veteran players aren't the way you build a team, they are stop gaps. To bring in Moss would be extremely counter productive both in the locker room and the field.

The Joker
01-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Makes sense to me.

They're going to tender Marshall at a 1st and 3rd. If some team bites they aren't going to fight to keep him. Hell, if someone offers up just a 1st they'll probably take it quite happily.

At that point if Moss is available he's the perfect choice to let us implement McDaniels offense appropriately. Marshall doesn't fit the X or the Z role in that offense, he fits the Y role which was always played by guys like Gaffney, and so in order to funnel passes to Marshall McDaniels had to go against the grain of his offense's strengths (like not making best use of the slot WR, and putting Royal out on the wing).

That offense is largely tailor made for Moss to be the X, which bumps Royal to the Z where he could actually live up to the promise of Wes Welker type seasons. Gaffney has already shown he can more than handle the Y job, both in New England and here.

Orton needs to work on his deep ball this off-season for us to really see ideal growth, but Tom Brady's deep ball wasn't real impressive when he first entered the league either and it flourished under McDaniels' coaching so we shouldn't rule anything out with Orton.

If Boldin could be had for a reasonable price he'd make a great Y instead of Gaffney, but he's been far too injury prone to count on or give a huge pay day to acquire.

Very good post.

If we can trade Marshall then we'll just need to find a guy who specializes in the deep ball to put in the X spot and we'll have a nice group of receivers for next year.

I'd like to see us take a look at Malcolm Floyd from the Chargers, he's an UFA this year. 6 ft 5', pretty decent speed for his size, and I've seen him come down with quite a few bombs from Rivers this year. He really comes back to the ball well.

I'm sure San Diego will want to keep a hold of him, but they're going to have to pay Vincent Jackson sometime soon and that won't be cheap. Money talks, and I think we could probably give Floyd more money than San Diego will be willing to offer.

BroncoBuff
01-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Isn't it amazing how quickly the best young tandem of wide recievers in the league, in years, has degenerated into next to nothing?

Whose fault is that?

broncos-rock
01-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I think its interesting that all of the prima-dona wideouts(moss, ochocinco, marshall, and owens) are not in the playoffs and these guys are supposed to lead teams. Maybe an elite game changing receiver is not the way to get to the playoffs anymore.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Aging Veteran players aren't the way you build a team, they are stop gaps. To bring in Moss would be extremely counter productive both in the locker room and the field.

And neither is trading down 6 times to acquire 18 draft picks like half this board thinks should be done every year.

You're right, I don't know why anyone would want the Broncos to sign a guy who is a future HoFer this offseason if he becomes available. He hasn't played at a high level for years. It's absolutely counter-productive to sign the guy who tied for the league lead in TDs and averaged 15 yards a catch. That's a huge step backwards for this offense, that it seems quite a few people complain about on a daily basis.

Saying you wouldn't want Moss simply because the first number in his age is a 3 is as idiotic as the people on this board who thinks Denver should go in a different direction at corner because Champ and Goodman are both over 30, without even looking at their current level of play.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Isn't it amazing how quickly the best young tandem of wide recievers in the league, in years, has degenerated into next to nothing?

Whose fault is that?

Well let's see, which WR has shown a complete inability to grow up in his 4 years in the league and is one arrest away from a long suspension? Obviously that's McD's fault.

The other, people put way too much stock into rookie seasons. I've pointed it out before, people were happy with both the '02 and '04 draft classes after their rookie years and both turned out to be not much. Royal had a great rookie season, that doesn't make him some established up and coming star. He followed it up with a season that sucked, that he was also hurt for a portion of. One season does not make someone an established player in this league.

I realize on the Interwebz, everyone is into instant gratification, but Royal's rookie season did not give Denver the best young tandem of WRs in the league, as much as want to pretend it did.

But obviously to answer the question with the answer you're looking for, obviously it's McD's fault that Brandon is immature and Royal didn't duplicate his rookie year.

I know whose fault it's not, Jim Goodman. That man is like Jesus and George Washington all rolled into one, just a God Damned great American.

broncobrandon
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Marshall in his prime for Moss at the end of his rope? Hmmmmm, interesting. I, along with MANY others, understand that Marshall is probably on his way out of Denver but don't you think Denver could aquire more than a 32 year old, slower, semi-consistant WR? I would like to think Denver is smarter than that. Look at the Free agent market at WR for the upcoming 2010-2011 season. Vincent Jackson (hometown boy!), Miles Austin (probably won't be a free agent, but for the sake on conversation), Antonio Bryant just to name a few. Now, I'm not saying ANY of the WR's are on Marshalls level but obtaining one of these receivers in a combination deal would be a better move than aquiring moss. Just my opinion...

BroncoBuff
01-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I realize on the Interwebz, everyone is into instant gratification, but Royal's rookie season did not give Denver the best young tandem of WRs in the league, as much as want to pretend it did.

One year ago now, the consensus - if not unanimous opinion - was that we had the best young tandem of WRs in the league.

Sorry you don't remember it that way, but that's the way it was.

Taco John
01-16-2010, 01:00 PM
aging veteran players aren't the way you build a team, they are stop gaps. To bring in moss would be extremely counter productive both in the locker room and the field.

^^^^
t h i s

yavoon
01-16-2010, 01:04 PM

this isn't madden, you don't draft a bunch of 22 year olds, watch them get +'s in the offseason sign em to max contracts and win 7 super bowls. anyone who can be around 3-4 years is essentially age-irrelevant.

TDmvp
01-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Whose fault is that?

rep ...

TDmvp
01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Maybe an elite game changing receiver is not the way to get to the playoffs anymore.

maybe you are nutso .... it's a WR QB league now rules being as they be.

What did Dallas need all year AFTER getting rid of TO ? a WR to step up ,Miles Austin , What did Philly need every year ... a wr ... enter DeSean Jackson.
The Saints have maybe best Wr depth in the sport . Green Bay and the Cards nuff said .The Jets traded mid season for WR help ,be it not great but still telling ... Even the Ravens have good Wrs even if they are old guys.

I'm not going thru the rest But I think you are way off base.
It's a WR QB game now...

But hey lets just get rid of Eddie and Marshall and start using more tight ends ...
I mean hell we don't throw the ball more than 10 yards down field anyway so it wouldn't matter if we went with a 4TE set ...

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
One year ago now, the consensus - if not unanimous opinion - was that we had the best young tandem of WRs in the league.

Sorry you don't remember it that way, but that's the way it was.

Really? Numbers tell a different story.

Fitz is less than 7 months older than Marshall and he's absolutely a superior WR, Breaston is the #3 WR in Arizona and still had more yds as a rookie last year than Royal. That doesn't seem like there could be a consensus there when a #3 had more yds and a better ypc than ER.

Try again Buff. I realize you think Goodman is some uber-superior drafter, even though you start throwing out defensive picks and qualify other picks, but unless someone whips out a rookie season like Randy Moss had, Royal's number didn't establish him as anything. It was a good season for a rookie WR, it wasn't a great season.