PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fort Lewis College

Rabb
01-15-2010, 07:49 AM
My wife and daughter went on a campus visit yesterday to the school in Durango and loved it so it looks like that is where she wants to go.

I was curious if any of you either attended or have a kid going there. Would like your thoughts. We live in Aurora, so it is not too far away really.

Symons26
01-15-2010, 09:36 AM
expensive to live in durango. Lots of hippies. had alot of friends leave because of the hippies

Rabb
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Sounds like Boulder lol

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Went to school there for a year. Beautiful, awesome for outdoors activities. Lots of partying cause it's so small, everyone kinda knows everyone. Small classes, great staff. Skiing is close.
It is expensive, tho.

scorpio
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
The big problem with Durango IMO is that a lot of the people who live there brought their money with them. It's expensive and good jobs are nonexistent. Also the hippies aren't your Boulder-variety trustfunders, they are hardcore honest-to-god pigpen hippies.

The college is nice though. Great weed.

DennisSmithHOF
01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I graduated from Fort Lewis in 1999 and loved it. It was the right kind of place for me: not crowded, low key and laid back people, smaller classes, and profs who gave a crap. There isn't a lot to do in Durango if you don't ski, but it is a lot of fun.
I was out of state, so I don't know how the tuition is compared to other state schools.

Swedish Extrovert
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
My wife and daughter went on a campus visit yesterday to the school in Durango and loved it so it looks like that is where she wants to go.

I was curious if any of you either attended or have a kid going there. Would like your thoughts. We live in Aurora, so it is not too far away really.

It's a small liberal arts school. Beautiful campus. Not so high in the rankings (Tier 3 school) but I wouldn't let that phase you - depending on what she's studying - if it's something in the social sciences fields (ie not biology, etc) then the benefit of going to a small school is great: you know everyone, and actually have access to your professors.

The price is right at Ft. Lewis, too. It's like a poor man's Colorado College, if you will (CC = vastly overrated, and ridiculously expensive). You also might want to consider Mesa State.

I looked at FLC and also CC. They seemed similar. CC is really highly ranked and had a good endowment, but I was not impressed. Ugly campus, really weird questions they asked on the application, weird scheduling that doesn't make any sense, and a hockey team that hasn't won a title since 1959.

jhns
01-15-2010, 10:40 AM

LOL This is a great selling point for parents. They should put it in the brochure.

Rabb
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
The big problem with Durango IMO is that a lot of the people who live there brought their money with them. It's expensive and good jobs are nonexistent. Also the hippies aren't your Boulder-variety trustfunders, they are hardcore honest-to-god pigpen hippies.

hahahah

that brings up another issue altogether (how to safely transport from Durango to daddy)

thanks so far guys

Swedish Extrovert
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Went to school there for a year. Beautiful, awesome for outdoors activities. Lots of partying cause it's so small, everyone kinda knows everyone. Small classes, great staff. Skiing is close.
It is expensive, tho.

From Princeton Review:

Ft. Lewis College At A Glance
Year Founded: 1911
School Type: Public
Religious Affiliation: No Affiliation
Campus Environment: Small Town
Enrollment: 3,685
Average High School GPA: 3.13
Regular Application Deadline: 08/01
In-State Tuition: $3,102
Out-of-State Tuition: $16,072
Total Cost: $17,162
Financial Aid Deadline: Rolling Basis

Compare that to Colorado College:

Colorado College At A Glance
Year Founded: 1874
School Type: Private
Campus Environment: Metropolis
Enrollment: 2,000
Average High School GPA: 3.6
Regular Application Deadline: 01/15
Tuition: $37,278
Total cost: $49,700

How about the school I go to, the University of Denver

University Of Denver At A Glance
Year Founded: 1864
Enrollment: 5,343
Tuition: $34,596
Total cost: $49,590

Ft. Lewis - looks to me like the price is right.

Tombstone RJ
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM

I grew up in Colorado and had some HS friends go to Ft. Lewis. It's a party school from what I remember (of course, any college can be a "party school", much depends on the student attending the college).

Northern Arizona
Western State
Ft. Lewis

All party schools. So, just be kinda awares that your daughter may, MAY get a little off track during her Freshman year.

Also, please keep in mind, I went to college a long time ago and certainly, things might have changed. :)

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
From Princeton Review:

Ft. Lewis College At A Glance
Year Founded: 1911
School Type: Public
Campus Environment: Small Town
Enrollment: 3,685
Average High School GPA: 3.13
Regular Application Deadline: 08/01
In-State Tuition: $3,102
Out-of-State Tuition: $16,072
Total Cost: $17,162

Compare that to Colorado College:

Colorado College At A Glance
Year Founded: 1874
Enrollment: 2,000
Regular Application Deadline: 01/15
Tuition: $37,278
Total cost: $49,700

How about the school I go to, the University of Denver

University Of Denver At A Glance
Year Founded: 1864
Enrollment: 5,343
Tuition: $34,596
Total cost: $49,590

Ft. Lewis - looks to me like the price is right.

I meant Durango is expensive.

Mountain Bronco
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Great town, great school, I see no drawbacks. The grungy element is overblown though and I wouldnt worry about it. You have that in every mountain town. Tons to do with skiing, hiking, rafting etc...

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
lol

Rabb
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I grew up in Colorado and had some HS friends go to Ft. Lewis. It's a party school from what I remember (of course, any college can be a "party school", much depends on the student attending the college).

Northern Arizona
Western State
Ft. Lewis

All party schools. So, just be kinda awares that your daughter may, MAY get a little off track during her Freshman year.

Also, please keep in mind, I went to college a long time ago and certainly, things might have changed. :)

yeah I am a realist and know there will be some of that, we have been lucky with her through high school so far as she has had her head on straight....but I fully expect kids in college to be kids in college

just have to have the talk with her about not overdoing it and wasting our money

I told her when she turned 18, it's either a campus or a recruiter...your choice

and if campus doesn't work, we default to #2....she got the message

Requiem
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
If Ft. Lewis College is where the bomb reefer is at, send her there.

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a small liberal arts school. Beautiful campus. Not so high in the rankings (Tier 3 school) but I wouldn't let that phase you - depending on what she's studying - if it's something in the social sciences fields (ie not biology, etc) then the benefit of going to a small school is great: you know everyone, and actually have access to your professors.

The price is right at Ft. Lewis, too. It's like a poor man's Colorado College, if you will (CC = vastly overrated, and ridiculously expensive). You also might want to consider Mesa State.

I looked at FLC and also CC. They seemed similar. CC is really highly ranked and had a good endowment, but I was not impressed. Ugly campus, really weird questions they asked on the application, weird scheduling that doesn't make any sense, and a hockey team that hasn't won a title since 1959.

Major nerd alert on your avatar. Frat bros for life!

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Major nerd alert on your avatar. Frat bros for life!

hahaha

MileHighMagic
01-15-2010, 11:33 AM
My dad got his law degree there.

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Ricky Williams says it's a cool college

Archer81
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Great town, great school, I see no drawbacks. The grungy element is overblown though and I wouldnt worry about it. You have that in every mountain town. Tons to do with skiing, hiking, rafting etc...

Durango is a nice place. The company I used to work for had reps in the area and they said its like most places. Some people are far out in left field hugging on trees, while most seemed to fall into the they wear shoes and not birkenstocks range.

:Broncos:

SureShot
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
What no mention of the narrow gauge rail road?

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I fell off a railroad truss drunk in the winter when I was there. 10 feet, hit my head on a rock, deviated my septum, broke a blood vessel in my eye and got a concussion.

Swedish Extrovert
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Ft. Lewis doesn't offer law degrees.

SureShot
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Mock got his degree in Rocket Surgery there.

Flex Gunmetal
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I attained my underwater basketweaving certification there.

Boss Man
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
well if she likes smokin weed and trippin acid then ya its legit...i have a couple friends that go there, and its basically the commanding center for hippies in colorado...

ak1971
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Go to Western State..Crested Butte is much better than Purgatory.

I got a degree somehow there in four years and parlayed it into a life of awesomeness.

Dr.5280
01-16-2010, 12:05 AM
I graduated from Fort Lewis. During the winter trimester I took class on Tuesday and Thursday and skied five days a week. Weed, women and wine.