PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: Armchair GMs chime in

Bronco Rob
01-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Woody's Mailbag: Armchair GMs chime in

Joe from Harwich, Mass., asks Woody about Kyle Orton's future with the Broncos

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Woody, what do you think we will do with our first-round draft pick? We all know Kyle Orton is not our future and we need to get a solid QB. Do you think Josh McDaniels will select up for a QB with our first pick, or do you think he will use it for another position? This is a good draft class for QBs. I think it would be good to keep Orton around to help groom another QB and maybe one more year after that, but he is not the answer. Also, can someone please tell McDaniels he is no longer in New England — please take off the hoodie and become your own person. I live in New England and grew up in Denver — these fans don't even compare to Denver fans. The guy is going to get run out of town if he keeps up his New England ways. P.S. I like the beard, Woody!

-- Joe Sandoval, Harwich, Mass.

Woodhead : Kyle Orton, the KO Kid? I don't think so. Dave Krieger, who recently joined us as a columnist from the now-defunct Rocky Mountain News, and I were both stunned and stumped by Josh McDaniels in his last press conference the day after the season ended.

First, the coach said that Orton played "pretty decently" and then that he was a "nice quarterback" and that he was "a good teammate and smart."

Sounds like the blind dates I had in college. Girls I knew would try to set me up with someone, and the description would be: "She has a great personality and all the girls in the dormitory like her, and she makes her own clothes, and she sings in the church, and she's a good student." Not once did they mention that she was "a knockout woman." Of course, I was no prize, either.

But Orton is not a beautiful quarterback, not a Pro Bowl quarterback, not a top 10 quarterback. He's decent, and a nice guy. He is not the long-term, or even the short-term, solution. He'll get one more year. That's not an endorsement. That's the reality.

Now, here's what McDaniels said straight out: That it has been proven that it doesn't take a great quarterback to win the Super Bowl. I must have spent six hours of research on Orton and Super Bowl quarterbacks after what McDaniels said, and Krieger wrote a column about his own opinion — I recommend everyone read it.

McDaniels was on the New England staff that won three Super Bowls and should have won another. What made them special? Tom Brady. Even though Matt Cassel had a good season in 2008, and is a decent quarterback, the Patriots didn't even get in the playoffs.

If you look at past Super Bowls, you'll see that recent winners include Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning (who may not be, overall, in the elite category. The two decent quarterbacks who won were Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson, and they got the ring because of their team's defenses (Baltimore and Tampa Bay).

The Broncos don't have a world-class defense, so they need a world-class quarterback. Think about other QBs who have won Super Bowls: Bart Starr, Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach I could go on and on. Rarely does a mediocre quarterback lead a team to a world championship. It starts at quarterback.

I looked back at every Orton start. He has a good record in 49 starts, but in at least 30 of those games, the defense was responsible for the victory and the offense was hanging on for dear life. The Chicago Bears had a great record when they went to the Super Bowl, but Orton wasn't the reason, and he was yanked before the season ended and replaced by Rex Grossman. You can see with both the Bears and the Broncos, the defenses had to hold opponents to under 20 points to have a chance at winning.

As I noted in a column this week, the Broncos scored only 30 touchdowns this year (barely above the slugs of the league) on offense. It's a wonder they won eight games. Orton is just a guy you hope "manages" the game and doesn't make mistakes. But down the stretch he had 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. That's not managing or not making mistakes.

During the first four-game losing streak, the Broncos' offense scored three flipping touchdowns. I could continue, but you know what I know. The Broncos, in all probability, will not draft a quarterback in the first round. We know Seattle will take Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, and Mike Shanahan will take the other.

The Broncos have to get rid of Chris Simms. You can thank me later for suggesting he should start in Washington. If he hadn't played this season, we all would have thought he could still play. He can't.

So Tom Brandstater moves up to No. 2, and we still don't know if he can play in the league. The Broncos may draft a quarterback down the line. They should take a look at a couple of directional quarterbacks -- Dan LeFevour from Central Michigan (remember his name) or Tim Hiller from Western Michigan. They could be available in the third round or lower.

The Broncos have indicated quietly they will offer Orton a long-term contract. That would be a mistake. Give him a one-year deal and see if Brandstater can beat him out, or take one of the "also-ran" QBs and see what happens next year.

The NFL free agent quarterbacks on the market are no better than Orton. What about Michael Vick? No.

I personally would like to see whether the Broncos can get Tim Tebow in the second round, or late in the first. I think he can be something special as a hybrid quarterback/wildcatter/tight end/receiver. I believe he will become a better thrower, and I think he would fit with this system that McDaniels loves -- and most of us loathe.

On the other subject, I have sat two feet away from McDaniels, just the two of us, and I said: "Lose the hoodie. Get your own thing." He paid no attention. He stuck it in my face, your face, and the players' faces. It shouldn't be that big a deal, except we know why he wears it. He's still Belichick's man, not his own man.

Hey Woody! Love the beard ... Now that I'm done kissing up, here's the question: I definitely want Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler back, but it seems like wishful thinking. I'm here in Ohio where the Browns, or clowns, or whatever you wish to call 'em, have exactly two good players: Josh Cribbs and Shaun Rogers, both of whom are unhappy in Cleveland. They also do not have a true No. 1 receiver or tight end. What do you think of a swap? As a life-long Broncos fan, we haven't had a return man since Glyn Milburn and could use the great field position Cribbs brings. Also, with our new 3-4 defense, we need a big tackle and Rogers fits the bill. What do you think? Maybe drop the hint to McDaniels. Thanks, and go Broncos and Nuggets!!!

-- Jim, Akron, Ohio

Jim: The beard is gone. I was afraid I'd end up in ZZTop.

Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler will not be back, despite your wishes, your prayers, your letters to sports writers or to the coach. The only way I would succeed in dropping a hint to McDaniels is to drop an anvil on his head. He has not listened to any of my suggestions -- in person in our talks or in columns I've written.

McDaniels, honestly, thinks he knows more than you or I or anyone else outside the program, as he has indicated publicly. I like your trade suggestion, and if I were the coach, I'd listen to you. Will it happen? I don't think there is a chance.

The Browns definitely want Cribbs back. He is an incredible return man. Mike Holmgren, who will be good for Cleveland (as good as head coach Eric Mangini is bad), already has said he wants Cribbs back. Rogers is unhappy in Cleveland. So is everybody else.

You are very astute, though. The Broncos have to improve that defensive line, and Ronnie Fields, who I liked going in, just doesn't dominate in the middle, and they got very little support out of the ends.

Everybody reading this mailbag knew that a year ago the Broncos needed a major upgrade on the defensive line, but McDaniels knew better than us. He didn't draft anybody. He didn't make a big splash for the two great available free-agent defensive linemen.

Instead, he went for a rather ordinary running back, I believe, and Robert Ayers, whose conversion to linebacker from defensive end didn't turn out so hot. McDaniels tried to defend Ayers in his last press conference, telling us he made progress. He made so much progress he was declared a healthy inactive one week.

In all the games he played I thought Ayers made three plays. (And he's from my school, Tennessee. Which reminds me: Go away, Lane Kiffin. The Vols should hire Troy Calhoun from Air Force. He was on their radar a year ago. But Calhoun would be a major loss for the Zoomies).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14185638

tsiguy96
01-15-2010, 04:46 AM
woody is such an idiot. mcdaniels makes one quote about QBs not being elite "when they won the SB" and these idiots fly off the rocker with it pretending to not even care about what he actually said. is the reporting in every town as bad as paige, krieger and kizsla (sp)?

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 05:32 AM
woody is such an idiot. mcdaniels makes one quote about QBs not being elite "when they won the SB" and these idiots fly off the rocker with it pretending to not even care about what he actually said. is the reporting in every town as bad as paige, krieger and kizsla (sp)?

Woody an idiot? HARDLY. He is writing that same thing that some of us have been for months--SEE BELOW homers...

Everybody reading this mailbag knew that a year ago the Broncos needed a major upgrade on the defensive line, but McDaniels knew better than us. He didn't draft anybody. He didn't make a big splash for the two great available free-agent defensive linemen.

Instead, he went for a rather ordinary running back, I believe, and Robert Ayers, whose conversion to linebacker from defensive end didn't turn out so hot. McDaniels tried to defend Ayers in his last press conference, telling us he made progress. He made so much progress he was declared a healthy inactive one week.

As I noted in a column this week, the Broncos scored only 30 touchdowns this year (barely above the slugs of the league) on offense. It's a wonder they won eight games. Orton is just a guy you hope "manages" the game and doesn't make mistakes. But down the stretch he had 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. That's not managing or not making mistakes.

Players almost always win games--coaches can only screw it up for them. Write Bowlen and tell him to end McDaniels On-the-Job -Training PRONTO.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Woody an idiot? HARDLY. He is writing that same thing that some of us have been for months--SEE BELOW homers...

Players almost always win games--coaches can only screw it up for them. Write Bowlen and tell him to end McDaniels On-the-Job -Training PRONTO.

Right. He's an idiot.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 06:42 AM
"He has not listened to any of my suggestions -- in person in our talks or in columns I've written."

Oh nooooooooez! A pro football coach doesn't listen to the whims of a columnist, THE SAME GUY THAT WANTED TO START CHRIS SIMMS? Jeez, no wonder Woody's so upset.

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Right. He's an idiot.

2 and 8. but don't let those facts get in the way of you thinking that we are headed in the right direction...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 06:59 AM
2 and 8. but don't let those facts get in the way of you thinking that we are headed in the right direction...

8-8, actually. But sure. 2-8 in fantasyland. /rolleyes

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 07:04 AM
8-8, actually. But sure. 2-8 in fantasyland. /rolleyes

Fantasy land? Hardly. what was our record during our playoff push in the months of NOV/DEC and JAN? Oh..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Fantasy land? Hardly. what was our record during our playoff push in the months of NOV/DEC and JAN? Oh..

I didn't realize that's all that was counted in an NFL schedule. Thanks for the enlightenment and for driving home the same absurd point for the last several months.

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 07:17 AM
I didn't realize that's all that was counted in an NFL schedule. Thanks for the enlightenment and for driving home the same absurd point for the last several months.

what is absurd as you homers not recognizing that those 1st 6 games are the aberration--no the last 10.

Nolan pulled a rabbit out of his hat, had our limited talent covered up by scheme while McD's offense still struggled--but we were able to win some tough games against quality opponents.

For you to think that going 2 & 8 down the stretch is not more significant than the first 6 games shows everyone AGAIN your own bias and personal limitations............

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I actually think they're both quite significant. I don't think we were as good as 6-0, and I don't think we were as bad as 2-8.

/shrug

Must be the reason in me. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Taco John
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I agree with Woody that offering Orton a long term contract is a mistake. We should franchise or transition the guy and minimize the exposure of guaranteed money that the team is going to have to commit to him. We'd be doing him a favor financially for next year, but we wouldn't be committing to a lot of future dead money.

strafen
01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
woody is such an idiot. mcdaniels makes one quote about QBs not being elite "when they won the SB" and these idiots fly off the rocker with it pretending to not even care about what he actually said. is the reporting in every town as bad as paige, krieger and kizsla (sp)?He's an idiot ?
Oh, I see, he said something you didn't like about your beloved coach. boo-boo! poor you. Somebody attacked your coach. Everybody else got to be an idiot for questioning the wisdom of Sir McDaniels. Why should they?
He's only 33 years old, he's a rookie headcoach, he's got no experience building teams in the NFL, though he's getting a lot of experience in how to drive a successful NFL franchise to the ground. He's arrogant, stubborn, egomaniac...and the list goes on
What's to like about the guy?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
He's an idiot ?
Oh, I see, he said something you didn't like about your beloved coach. boo-boo! poor you. Somebody attacked your coach. Everybody else got to be an idiot for questioning the wisdom of Sir McDaniels. Why should they?
He's only 33 years old, he's a rookie headcoach, he's got no experience building teams in the NFL, though he's getting a lot of experience in how to drive a successful NFL franchise to the ground. He's arrogant, stubborn, egomaniac...and the list goes on

If you're a broncos fan, he's your coach too. Sorry to break the news.

Boo-boo!

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
He's an idiot ?

He makes me look tall?

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Dilfer and Johnson winning Super Bowls were aberrations.

I think Orton should could come back for 2010 just because it's the "best" option for the team.

Anything past next season will be a no no.

RhymesayersDU
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
"He has not listened to any of my suggestions -- in person in our talks or in columns I've written."

Oh nooooooooez! A pro football coach doesn't listen to the whims of a columnist, THE SAME GUY THAT WANTED TO START CHRIS SIMMS? Jeez, no wonder Woody's so upset.

The "not taking my advice" thing was obviously written in jest. Do you honestly think that was a serious line? Try buying a sense of humor.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
The "not taking my advice" thing was obviously written in jest. Do you honestly think that was a serious line? Try buying a sense of humor.

Obviously? He mentions it several times. Poor Woody is hurt that McD doesn't listen to his every whim.

I've got a sense of humor, but I hear clues are on sale this week. You should pick one up.

Paladin
01-15-2010, 12:16 PM

I sometimes get confused. Is this your opiniuon or is it your command to McD.

If it's the former, you're an idiot. If it's the latter, I am sure McD gives a f**k what you think,,,,,

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I sometimes get confused. Is this your opiniuon or is it your command to McD.

If it's the former, you're an idiot. If it's the latter, I am sure McD gives a **** what you think,,,,,

I have a direct line to his Batphone...

watermock
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Thre are serious concerns whether McD is the right coach for Denver.

6 of 9 picks in the draft on offense is only 1.

And no, McD sholdn't care what Woodysays, but he carries more weight than McD thinks, and W-L is the barometer all coaches are judged by.

BTW, we had 2 tough road games lst year to end the season, this year we had 2 cupcake games at home. And we wern't playing for the division, just a spot rightly taken by Baltimore.

Paladin
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Both of you need to refit yout tin foil hats.....

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I only wear armadillo hats.

Baba Booey
01-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Woody, you really expect a professional football coach to even listen to, nevermind take into consideration, the banterings of a newspaper columnist?

watermock
01-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Honesty, yes.

I think Woody would put together a pretty good team.

DBroncos4life
01-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Dilfer and Johnson winning Super Bowls were aberrations.

I think Orton should could come back for 2010 just because it's the "best" option for the team.

I don't get why everyone dogs on Brad Johnson so much. The guy completed 62% of his passes 3000 plus yards 22 Tds to 6 Ints that year.

Bronco Rob
01-16-2010, 03:14 AM
:thumbsup:

TomServo
01-16-2010, 03:33 AM
I don't think we were as bad as 2-8.
losing to the raiders and chiefs, i think were worse.
why do mcd fans have so much faith?
his personal personality and judgment has gotten worse as the season went on.
just like a pitcher giving up 4 runs and no outs in the first inning i dont need to see any more.

eddie mac
01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
The funniest thing in that column is the fact this idiot was calling for Simms to start and then he tries to pass it off as a good call, because we now know how crap he is because of that game.

Woody stick to Lacrosse, because you know absolutely **** all about pro-football.

Hamrob
01-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't get why everyone dogs on Brad Johnson so much. The guy completed 62% of his passes 3000 plus yards 22 Tds to 6 Ints that year.It's not the stats...it's the playmaking ability. Can a QB take over a game...similar to a Michael Jordon or Kobe Bryant...when the game is on the line. That's the difference betwee Dilfer, Johnson & Orton...compared to those other guys who have won Championships over the year.

Sure, all QB's can have a lucky game...ala Doug Williams...but, they can't do it consistently....like the Brady's, Mannings, Montana's & Elways!

Hamrob
01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
losing to the raiders and chiefs, i think were worse.
why do mcd fans have so much faith?
his personal personality and judgment has gotten worse as the season went on.
just like a pitcher giving up 4 runs and no outs in the first inning i dont need to see any more.I'm a huge critic...that's been noted. But, I personally think, McDaniels has what it takes to be great...if he can hold his ego in check.

I have to keep telling myself this, McDaniels coached his first season as a headcoach...and he was way overally confident...then he started out 6-0...man he thought he walked on water...then he got kicked in the nuts...and just couldn't react quick enough to fix it.

You and me have to believe a kid like that will be better prepared next time around. He's a smart guy with uncomparable passion for the game. He's an x's and o's guy and he needed to test out his players against his playcalling. The results were average. You've got to believe he knows that.

I can support this kid going forward....what I won't do is defend his mistakes or make crazy comparrison's to Mike Shanahan. Josh hasn't earned that respect yet. He's coached 1 year and done nothing...yet! Let's hope that changes.

misturanderson
01-16-2010, 09:51 AM
The funniest thing in that column is the fact this idiot was calling for Simms to start and then he tries to pass it off as a good call, because we now know how crap he is because of that game.

Woody stick to Lacrosse, because you know absolutely **** all about pro-football.

That would be all well and good except that according to Woody (one time on around the horn a couple years back), he doesn't think lacrosse is a sport. He stated it in reference to a question about the who is greatest athlete ever and argued that Jim Brown and Jim Thorpe being dominating lacrosse players should not be considered as support for their inclusion on the list because lacrosse isn't a real sport.

Woody Paige is an opinionated dickhole that contributes nothing of substance to any sports conversation.

broncswin
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm a huge critic...that's been noted. But, I personally think, McDaniels has what it takes to be great...if he can hold his ego in check.

I have to keep telling myself this, McDaniels coached his first season as a headcoach...and he was way overally confident...then he started out 6-0...man he thought he walked on water...then he got kicked in the nuts...and just couldn't react quick enough to fix it.

You and me have to believe a kid like that will be better prepared next time around. He's a smart guy with uncomparable passion for the game. He's an x's and o's guy and he needed to test out his players against his playcalling. The results were average. You've got to believe he knows that.

I can support this kid going forward....what I won't do is defend his mistakes or make crazy comparrison's to Mike Shanahan. Josh hasn't earned that respect yet. He's coached 1 year and done nothing...yet! Let's hope that changes.

THIS...good post, nice to read something that isn't about bi*ching and moaning.

barryr
01-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Paige believed Simms was better than Orton, alng with some around here, while the majority of us around here who know even a little about football were calling that stupid and BS, so his opinion about football isn't important to me at least and really never has. He's just more interested in saying something that goes against of common sense to get attention since he really doesn't stand out in the grand scheme of things, but so desperately wants to. He's a phony bonehead who has as much credibility of offering opinions on sports as I do offering opinions on the best way to operate on somebody.

TheDave
01-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm a huge critic...that's been noted. But, I personally think, McDaniels has what it takes to be great...if he can hold his ego in check.

Well Said!!!

NFLBRONCO
01-16-2010, 12:47 PM

REP very solid takes

TomServo
01-17-2010, 02:32 AM
QUOTE]You and me have to believe a kid like that will be better prepared next time around. He's a smart guy with uncomparable passion for the game. He's an x's and o's guy and he needed to test out his players against his playcalling. The results were average. You've got to believe he knows that.
[/QUOTE]
Show me one Smart thing he has done in denver? calling out hillis in his last press conference shows me McD hasnt learned a damn thing. hes a petty lil prick. nothing more. it takes more than x's an O's to be a head coach and Mcd looks to have neither. Knoshon up the middle for No gain? Again?.
hes just like our commander in chief. No experience? who cares? as long as we have that hopey changey thing going.

tsiguy96
01-17-2010, 04:16 AM
QUOTE]You and me have to believe a kid like that will be better prepared next time around. He's a smart guy with uncomparable passion for the game. He's an x's and o's guy and he needed to test out his players against his playcalling. The results were average. You've got to believe he knows that.

Show me one Smart thing he has done in denver? calling out hillis in his last press conference shows me McD hasnt learned a damn thing. hes a petty lil prick. nothing more. it takes more than x's an O's to be a head coach and Mcd looks to have neither. Knoshon up the middle for No gain? Again?.
hes just like our commander in chief. No experience? who cares? as long as we have that hopey changey thing going.[/QUOTE]

one smart thing hes ever done....are you really this blindly stupid? please tell me you have never reproduced.

Hamrob
01-17-2010, 10:42 AM

hes just like our commander in chief. No experience? who cares? as long as we have that hopey changey thing going.[/QUOTE]

The main thing I give credit to McDaniels for...was his focus on defense...especially bringing in a proven DC. I also have to give him credit for making Marshall his go-to-guy despite the problems they had in the offseason. Marshall wouldn't have gotten 100+ catches if McDaniels didn't put aside his differences and focus on winning.

Yeah, I think he made several mistakes in his first year as a headcoach...many of those mistakes pissed me off...I still can't stand the fact that he's more New England Patriot than Denver Broncos at this point...but he was a rookie headcoach! We all need to come to grips with that. He's 33yrs old.

We need to see what he does after a full offseason and a 2nd year under his belt. Because of his brashness...he really needs to get us into the playoffs this year...or Bowlen will have a very difficult time with the fan base.

That may actually be unfair...look at Kubiak...but, that's where we're at. I'm starting to get over the disapointment of last year at this point...and looking forward to a good offseason.