PDA

View Full Version : PFW : Ranking the offensive coordinators

Bronco Rob
01-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Ranking the offensive coordinators

Our rankings are based on extensive feedback from league sources and talent evaluators and a special formula devised by PFW that takes into account numerous variables, including the effect of injuries on each team.

Coordinators are ranked from top to bottom, with insiders' comments on each. All quotes were obtained from pro personnel evaluators on the condition of anonymity. On teams where the head coach has the responsibility for the play-calling and is heavily involved in the coordination of the offense, we've rated the head coach rather than the coordinator. Additional responsibilities of coordinators are indicated in parentheses where applicable.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR RANKINGS

5.) Norv Turner / Chargers (head coach)

Clarence Shelmon carries the coordinator title, but make no mistake, this is Turner's offense, and behind the intensity and surgical work of QB Phillip Rivers, it has become one of the league's best, with a group of big receivers whom few have shown they could stop.

SCOUT'S TAKE: "He was able to transform an offense that was relying on the run game first to a passing offense while making the same group of individuals believe in what he was doing. I have to give him credit for that and for rebounding from a slow start to clicking on all cylinders now. Historically, he has had a slow-starting group."

16. Josh McDaniels / Broncos (head coach)

Despite the surprising play of Kyle Orton early in the season when he was healthy, the Broncos' offense was not nearly as responsible for the team's eight wins this season as the defense, and a middle-of-the-pack finish was a mighty fall from where the Broncos' more explosive offense finished a year ago with Jay Cutler at the helm and Mike Shanahan calling plays.

SCOUT'S TAKE: "Do you think he would like to have Jay Cutler back now? He managed Kyle Orton extremely well, but the wheels came off the bus late in the year. How many guys have thrown two pick-sixes in the same game? They have an issue at quarterback that needs to be fixed. I think the kid is a great coach you can see what he is trying to do with his packages, setting up defenses. But I'm not sure if he is emotionally stable enough to lead. One thing he did not learn from (former boss Bill) Belichick was how to address his players. He flies off the handle a lot."

27. Todd Failey / Chefs (head coach)

After Chan Gailey was let go prior to the season, Haley took over the controls, but the offense still regressed from a year ago, despite the addition of a big-money quarterback (Matt Cassel).

SCOUT'S TAKE: "I guess what they are is a multifaceted offense that does not have personnel to be faceted. Haley wants to push the ball downfield and run play-pass action, but he does not have the personnel to do it yet, so I guess it will be up to Charlie Weis to get it figured out now. Whether it is the Dallas, Arizona or New England offense (the Chiefs are trying to run), it was not effective this year because they didn't have the personnel. Regardless of the talent, it was not a very creative offense."

1. Jason Garrett / Cowboys
2. Sean Payton / Saints (head coach)
3. Tom Moore / Colts
4. Mike McCarthy / Packers (head coach)
5. Norv Turner / Chargers (head coach)
6. Cam Cameron / Ravens
7. Brian Chokenheimer / Jets
8. Mike Heimerdinger / Titans
9. Mike Mularkey / Falcons
10. Bill Belichick / Patriots (head coach)
11. Brad Childress / Vikings (head coach)
12. Bruce Arians / Steelers
13. Ken Whisenhunt / Cardinals (head coach)
14. Gary Kubiak / Texans (head coach)
15. Kevin Gilbride / Giants
16. Josh McDaniels / Broncos (head coach)
17. Marty Mornhinweg / Eagles
18. Bob Bratkowski / Bengals
19. Dan Henning / Dolphins
20. Jimmy Raye / Niners
21. Dirk Koetter / Jaguars
22. Jeff Davidson / Panthers
24. Greg Olson / Buccaneers
25. Ron Turner / Bears
26. Brian Daboll / Browns
27. Todd Failey / Chefs (head coach)
28. Scott Linehan / Lions
29. Tom Cable / Raiders (head coach)
30. Greg Knapp / Seahawks
31. Alex Van Pelt / Bills
32. Pat Shurmur / Rams

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators

tsiguy96
01-15-2010, 05:42 AM
amazing how fast jason garret flies up and down the "hot coordinators" list

gunns
01-15-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm surprised at how many head coaches are the O coord.

TonyR
01-15-2010, 06:59 AM
amazing how fast jason garret flies up and down the "hot coordinators" list

Very true. He was a hot HC candidate a couple of years ago and then fell off the radar. Cowboys are finally playing up to expectations and now he's great again.

Also funny how Haley was so good in Arizona and now considered poor. Gee, do you think the talent these guys are coaching has anything to do with it?

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 07:04 AM
How in the WORLD is Gary Kubiak so LOW and Tom Moore (ever hear of Peyton Manning?) so high?

TheDave
01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Shouldn't peyton manning be listed at #3 over this tom moore guy?

delany
01-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Very true. He was a hot HC candidate a couple of years ago and then fell off the radar. Cowboys are finally playing up to expectations and now he's great again.

Also funny how Haley was so good in Arizona and now considered poor. Gee, do you think the talent these guys are coaching has anything to do with it?

That's why these types of rankings are always more of a pulse...a point in time exercise.

To view them any other is meaningless.

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
SCOUT'S TAKE: "Do you think he would like to have Jay Cutler back now? He managed Kyle Orton extremely well, but the wheels came off the bus late in the year. How many guys have thrown two pick-sixes in the same game? They have an issue at quarterback that needs to be fixed. I think the kid is a great coach — you can see what he is trying to do with his packages, setting up defenses. But I'm not sure if he is emotionally stable enough to lead. One thing he did not learn from (former boss Bill) Belichick was how to address his players. He flies off the handle a lot."

I predict this scout's house being burnt down by an OM member.

kamakazi_kal
01-15-2010, 09:23 AM
SCOUT'S TAKE: "Do you think he would like to have Jay Cutler back now? He managed Kyle Orton extremely well, but the wheels came off the bus late in the year. How many guys have thrown two pick-sixes in the same game? They have an issue at quarterback that needs to be fixed. I think the kid is a great coach you can see what he is trying to do with his packages, setting up defenses. But I'm not sure if he is emotionally stable enough to lead. One thing he did not learn from (former boss Bill) Belichick was how to address his players. He flies off the handle a lot."

Popps is already making some thermite.

Rohirrim
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Which is why they're anonymous. ;D

For all we know, this was written by some Raider fan.

HILife
01-15-2010, 09:41 AM
29. Tom Cable / Raiders (head coach)

I see you Raiders, making BIG improvements over last year!!

Rabb
01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
how do Kyle's 2 pick sixes relate to the offensive coordinator exactly?

if he is being judged as an OC, that shouldn't have crap to do with his personnel decisions should it?

serious question, not starting a war

Pseudofool
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
How many guys have thrown two pick-sixes in the same game? They have an issue at quarterback that needs to be fixed. Astounding reasoning!

Look, I think we can do better than KO at QB, but the problems with the offense all begin at the interior o-line.

jhns
01-15-2010, 10:21 AM
how do Kyle's 2 pick sixes relate to the offensive coordinator exactly?

if he is being judged as an OC, that shouldn't have crap to do with his personnel decisions should it?

serious question, not starting a war

They were his play calls. He should know that bringing in Orton means you can't throw 45 times. I'm sure that is what the article is saying. Otherwise, I don't know what their reasoning for that is.

Good article though. The Broncos part is %100 correct. He obviously can call plays and setup defenses as was witnessed in New England. The problem is he thinks Orton is good and he has no ability to change his system to fit his players (which is what all great offensive minds have done through history). He is not the guru he was made out to be. We will only have a great offense when we get ourselves a Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, and Pats o-line. Oh well, we can all just pray Orton turns into Brady.

gyldenlove
01-15-2010, 10:40 AM
How is Bruce Arians number 12 when he got fired?

I swear these guys just looked at yardage when ranking. Really, Heimerdinger is the 8th best oc in the league? that has nothing to do with the fact that Johnson ran for 2000 yards this year?

What a joke.

Broncomutt
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Ranking the offensive coordinators

But I'm not sure if he is emotionally stable enough to lead. One thing he did not learn from (former boss Bill) Belichick was how to address his players. He flies off the handle a lot."

I'm happy to see I'm not the only person that has this opinion. At some point you lose credibility and become a tyrant when you can't control your composure as an NFL head coach.

1) The Cutler Fued (Glad Cutler's gone, but it sure was messy, huh?)
2) The Marshall Fued Part I
3) The fist pumping victory lap after only the 5th game (classy!)
4) "We own you" followed by humiliation at home (followed by a really weak excuse of what he really meant)
5) The Players Only meeting (wonder how many rookie head coaches have had their team hold Player Only meetings?)
6) The Thanksgiving Temper Tantrum
7) The Marshall Fued Part II
8) The historic collapse

Dude has alot of growing up to do.

broncofan7
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm happy to see I'm not the only person that has this opinion. At some point you lose credibility and become a tyrant when you can't control your composure as an NFL head coach.

4) "We own you" followed by humiliation at home (followed by a really weak excuse of what he really meant)
5) The Players Only meeting (wonder how many rookie head coaches have had their team hold Player Only meetings?)
8) The historic collapse

Bowlen signed him up for OJT---what else did you expect?

BABronco
01-15-2010, 11:37 AM

8) The historic collapse

I'm sure most denver fans found the whole fist pumping thing awesome. I'm know I did.

If your talking about the "we need to win the mother ****ing game" thing your off your rocker. There is nothing wrong with what he said or did there. Then to turn around and bash the NFLN was freaking amazing. This is coming from a guy who isn't a McD fan btw.

Rabb
01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
They were his play calls. He should know that bringing in Orton means you can't throw 45 times. I'm sure that is what the article is saying. Otherwise, I don't know what their reasoning for that is.

Good article though. The Broncos part is %100 correct. He obviously can call plays and setup defenses as was witnessed in New England. The problem is he thinks Orton is good and he has no ability to change his system to fit his players (which is what all great offensive minds have done through history). He is not the guru he was made out to be. We will only have a great offense when we get ourselves a Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, and Pats o-line. Oh well, we can all just pray Orton turns into Brady.

well yeah that is all I can get from it also but that is stupid

if OC's knew that someone would throw a pick on certain plays, they would never call them

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
The repeated running plays getting stuffed in the backfield should be an automatic #33 ranking.

Rabb
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
anyone that has an issue with the Thanksgiving thing has never played football, because while many coaches don't curse or whatever....many DO and will ream your ass up and down the field

I liked it, not to mention it is not his responsibility to make sure NFLN is doing their job

also, how he is responsible for Marshall being Marshall...is beyond me

had we gotten into the playoffs everyone would be singing his praises for making bold moves and holding people accountable as well as showing some exuberance

I still like what he does and how he does it

Cool Breeze
01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
raiders 29th ha

Florida_Bronco
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
That's a pretty garbage list, especially since they put Belichick on there and he has always been a defensive coach who delegated offensive responsibility to someone else, like Weis or McDaniels.

Bigdawg26
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
8) The historic collapse

1.) Understood that was a major f up by him
2.) Again another f up by mcdaniels
3.) That was pretty awesome
4.) It would be sweet if we really did own the chargers LB's
5.) Every team has a player's only meeting because sometimes it's not the coach's fault for some losses
6.) Love It
7. and 8.) Two more f ups by mcdaniels

I like the guy I just wish he wasn't so stubborn all the time. He acts like a 16 year old girl sometimes, but he does show intesity. He really just needs to trash Orton and get a real quarterback that he can open up his playbook for, and start actually listening to the players sometimes.

Taco John
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
This would be a very hard list to compile. Gotta give 'em credit for taking a poke at it. Makes for good offseason fodder.

Bronco Rob
01-16-2010, 04:11 AM
:thumbsup:

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
this moron talks like our offense was like the 07 Patriots with Cutler and then dropped off to complete ineptitude under Orton.

it was like a 3 point per game drop in production from Cutler to Orton. Offense was mediocre under Jay and mediocre under Orton.

Gob
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
this moron talks like our offense was like the 07 Patriots with Cutler and then dropped off to complete ineptitude under Orton.

it was like a 3 point per game drop in production from Cutler to Orton. Offense was mediocre under Jay and mediocre under Orton.

Yes, but they were similar because of statistics, not actual play. Under Cutler and crew, offense looked explosive and high scoring 1/3 of the time, and pretty sad 2/3's of the time, averaged out to mediocre . Under Orton and crew, pretty consistently mediocre, the average does a good job describing typical performance. If you focus on best performances then we look a lot less explosive. If you focus on how consistent the offense is, then this year is an improvement I suppose.

gunns
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm sure most denver fans found the whole fist pumping thing awesome. I'm know I did.

If your talking about the "we need to win the mother ****ing game" thing your off your rocker. There is nothing wrong with what he said or did there. Then to turn around and bash the NFLN was freaking amazing. This is coming from a guy who isn't a McD fan btw.

I agree with both points. He wasn't fist pumping because they had won their 5th straight, it was for beating his old boss. I was glad to see he had that kind of emotion. Plus, so he said what he did, wasn't his fault it was broadcast, but I'm glad it did, again glad to see that kind of emotion.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM

i loved seeing that kind of emotion after a win from our HC. that was the game I fully got on board with McDaniels. I was still a little pessimistic with the guy, but after that game I was all in with him.

and people are so stupid and naive if they believe that him cussing out his line was so completely out of the ordinary for an NFL coach. i have had tickets right behind the players bench and that was a relatively calm outburst in terms of coaching rants and screams. also, didn't the line get it together the rest of the game and lead our rushing attack to a torching of the chiefs to the tune of something like 260 rushing yards.