PDA

View Full Version : I sent crazyhorse a PM, but I just decided to make it a thread.

Mogulseeker
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I sent this to crazy, but I figured I'd put it on the forum in case anyone might have ever been in the same situation.

I'd like to know more about what happened. I might not have been frequenting the board at the time... I was going to start a new thread, but I felt it more appropriate because I went through something similar.

Last November, I went in for a routine physical and my blood pressure was 136/92 - very high for someone my age, so not really thinking much on it (yet) the doctor wanted to prescribe Lisinopril (I'm sure you're familiar with the drug as it's used to control pulmonary hypertension) - which I started taking.

Then he had his nurse run an EKG - the EKG showed Right Ventricular Hypertrophy - a fatal heart disease associated with Pulmonary Fibrosis. Basically I was convinced that I had a year to live - although I didn't want to tell anyone until I knew for sure.

Test after test followed. I had ultrasounds done. Thyroid function = optimal. Kidney function = optimal. Liver = Fine. Sodium/Potassium balance = fine. HIV = negative. Blood Pressure = Normal, but prehypertensive. Lung cancer = negative. (I'm 5'7" 160 with very little body fat.)

The Doctor said he was baffled - that RVH only happens in old people, or people with pulmonary fibrosis caused by HIV or Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had no symptoms, but tests don't lie.

This is where I asked my mom to start thinking about planning my funeral. I was depressed, but it really made me think a lot. I won't get into that, but things just seemed real, but at the same time I was thinking about missed opportunities. I came to terms with mortality at 24, which is not something a kid should have to do.

He referred me to a cardiologist, and this is the kicker. The cardiologist couldn't schedule anything for weeks, and when the time finally came to see him, he cancelled until mid-January. Luckily, I found out that a friend of the family, Dr. Timothy Leavitt, is a cardiologist at Lutheran in Wheat Ridge... he agreed to see me that Friday (this was last Friday).

He looked at my last EKG test results for about one second, and is like, "well we can't count this."

"Why not?"

"The lead on your right ventrical was placed on backwards."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, the results are upside down. If i flip the sheet, the reading is normal. Let's run another EKG."

He did. It showed optimal heart function. At the visit, my blood pressure was a little high (he checked it at 130/80), but before leaving, he checked again and it was 117/78. He checked my blood, and said aside from having testosterone and adrenaline levels that were a little high, everything checked out. He said I have whitecoat hypertension, and I can plan on having a long life. (Exact words.)

This was the most stressing two months of my life. I can't even imagine what you're going through.

Ratboy
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
So.. do you want a hug?

Mogulseeker
01-15-2010, 12:46 AM
So.. do you want a hug?

Aren't you in the chair force?

BroncosinDC
01-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Glad you are good Nate. And here I was stressing about the Broncos.

Florida_Bronco
01-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Someone should be getting their ass kicked after that little episode. :)

Glad you're safe though!

broncocalijohn
01-15-2010, 12:50 AM
High testosterone. I think Broncofan7 has told us that many of times about that "problem". I think you need to kick your doctor in the nutsack a few times.

Ratboy
01-15-2010, 12:51 AM

Says the guy from the Gay-vy. :thumbsup:

Mogulseeker
01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Says the guy from the Gay-vy. :thumbsup:

Not anymore... I traded my fade for long hair, my shipmates for fraternity brothers, and GQ training for classes on political theory.

Ratboy
01-15-2010, 12:58 AM
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/3377/original/super-cool-story-bro.png?1244744947

Killericon
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
I blame McDaniels for the EKG screwup.

cutthemdown
01-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Wow what a great opportunity for you my friend. Think about it and I think you will agree.

Being 41 myself its often hard to remember how exactly it feels to be 23-25. I will say this though that I was probably in mid 30's before I learned how precious time is, how fragile life is, and how time you waste you never get back.

Go out there are attack life like someone with a yr to live. Take chances, work hard, and use this wakeup call to motivate yourself. Set some crazy goals, then just suck up life and go crush those goals like a madman given a 2nd chance at life.

Even though you were never in danger you thought you were. It was real to you as anything could be. IMO you have been given a great gift. Don't be angry with the first doctor, just look at it like he showed how much you have to look forward to.

And yes Crazyhorse is the man. He fought hard and even though I have never met him I have a good feeling his a man of honor and someone I would really respect.

bpc
01-15-2010, 01:59 AM
I sent this to crazy, but I figured I'd put it on the forum in case anyone might have ever been in the same situation.

I'd like to know more about what happened. I might not have been frequenting the board at the time... I was going to start a new thread, but I felt it more appropriate because I went through something similar.

Last November, I went in for a routine physical and my blood pressure was 136/92 - very high for someone my age, so not really thinking much on it (yet) the doctor wanted to prescribe Lisinopril (I'm sure you're familiar with the drug as it's used to control pulmonary hypertension) - which I started taking.

Then he had his nurse run an EKG - the EKG showed Right Ventricular Hypertrophy - a fatal heart disease associated with Pulmonary Fibrosis. Basically I was convinced that I had a year to live - although I didn't want to tell anyone until I knew for sure.

Test after test followed. I had ultrasounds done. Thyroid function = optimal. Kidney function = optimal. Liver = Fine. Sodium/Potassium balance = fine. HIV = negative. Blood Pressure = Normal, but prehypertensive. Lung cancer = negative. (I'm 5'7" 160 with very little body fat.)

The Doctor said he was baffled - that RVH only happens in old people, or people with pulmonary fibrosis caused by HIV or Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had no symptoms, but tests don't lie.

This is where I asked my mom to start thinking about planning my funeral. I was depressed, but it really made me think a lot. I won't get into that, but things just seemed real, but at the same time I was thinking about missed opportunities. I came to terms with mortality at 24, which is not something a kid should have to do.

He referred me to a cardiologist, and this is the kicker. The cardiologist couldn't schedule anything for weeks, and when the time finally came to see him, he cancelled until mid-January. Luckily, I found out that a friend of the family, Dr. Timothy Leavitt, is a cardiologist at Lutheran in Wheat Ridge... he agreed to see me that Friday (this was last Friday).

He looked at my last EKG test results for about one second, and is like, "well we can't count this."

"Why not?"

"The lead on your right ventrical was placed on backwards."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, the results are upside down. If i flip the sheet, the reading is normal. Let's run another EKG."

He did. It showed optimal heart function. At the visit, my blood pressure was a little high (he checked it at 130/80), but before leaving, he checked again and it was 117/78. He checked my blood, and said aside from having testosterone and adrenaline levels that were a little high, everything checked out. He said I have whitecoat hypertension, and I can plan on having a long life. (Exact words.)

This was the most stressing two months of my life. I can't even imagine what you're going through.

Glad you are okay.

Taco John
01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Glad you are OK Nate. What an experience for you that must have been, not to mention a relief for your parents and family. Sounds like you've been on quite the magic carpet ride.

Broncoman13
01-15-2010, 07:02 AM

;) Yeah, them's Navy words from a man to another man.... good point.

Glad you're okay. Sounds to me like you a owe a Dr a verbal beat down for putting you through that crap for the past two months. I'd make the original tester feel like shiat for that one.

gunns
01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Wow, that was a lot of stress for a 24 year old. Your poor mom. While I agree that the first Dr's mistakes gave you a new perspective on life, his actions could have done a lot more damage. I can't imagine what that stress did to your blood pressure, not to mention if they had started a course of action that may have put you in jeopardy. Really glad to hear things turned out for the best.

Oh yeah, Air Force rules!

Meck77
01-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Wow what a great opportunity for you my friend. Think about it and I think you will agree.

Being 41 myself its often hard to remember how exactly it feels to be 23-25. I will say this though that I was probably in mid 30's before I learned how precious time is, how fragile life is, and how time you waste you never get back.

Go out there are attack life like someone with a yr to live. Take chances, work hard, and use this wakeup call to motivate yourself. Set some crazy goals, then just suck up life and go crush those goals like a madman given a 2nd chance at life.

Even though you were never in danger you thought you were. It was real to you as anything could be. IMO you have been given a great gift. Don't be angry with the first doctor, just look at it like he showed how much you have to look forward to.

And yes Crazyhorse is the man. He fought hard and even though I have never met him I have a good feeling his a man of honor and someone I would really respect.

In other words live like you were dying. Good post Cutt.

crawdad
01-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Good story Nate and CTD has a good idea! I am glad that you are okay! Like someone else said, I think the Doc deserves a kick in the nutsack for this crap!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Good story man. I don't know you, but that effin' sucks. I agree that whoever gave you the BS news at first deserves a nice kick in the nuts.

Royal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000432/): Richie, this illness, this closeness to death... it's had a profound affect on me. I feel like a different person, I really do.
Richie (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005561/): Dad, you were never dying.
Royal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000432/): ...but I'm gonna live!

oubronco
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you are okay!! Now go get a new doctor

ColoradoDarin
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
You know what they call the guy who graduated last in medical class?

Doctor. (Yours apparently)

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
House would of found that right off the bat......

gyldenlove
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Holy **** if my doctor does that to me he better be able to pick up his own teeth from the floor with broken fingers - that kind of screwup is reason for a major asskicking.

Nothing will help you bounce back like a little closure, preferably delivered in the form of a right hook.

Pick Six
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
That's horrible. The doctor convinced you were dying because he had the friggin' chart upside down? zowie!

jhat01
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Glad to hear you are okay!! Now go get a new doctor

Yeah no ****...My wife just had her knee scoped and the Dr made her initial on the knee that was messed up. That's what it's come to. It's sad that simple mistakes like that can screw people up.

Archer81
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear you are ok. I cant even picture how stressful that would be.

:Broncos:

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
That's horrible. The doctor convinced you were dying because he had the friggin' chart upside down? zowie!

It sounds like the tech doing the EKG put the lead on the machine upside down. I've had a few of those and they stick leads all over your chest.

Mogulseeker
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
It sounds like the tech doing the EKG put the lead on the machine upside down. I've had a few of those and they stick leads all over your chest.

That's exactly what happened - she put the lead on backwards, which meant the reading was upside down (ie it received an out current when it was really an in current).

I have a great doctor. I don't think the nurse knew what she was doing.

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
That's exactly what happened - she put the lead on backwards, which meant the reading was upside down (ie it received an out current when it was really an in current).

I have a great doctor. I don't think the nurse knew what she was doing.

I feel your pain, I had a routine EKG in preparation for a colonostrophy and later they said the colonostrophy was great but the EGK picked up a level 7 severe problem in one chamber. It was 2 months before I could get in to see a cardiologist, he took one look at it and said it was a trash echo and nothing to worry about. I didn't sleep for a month and got all my stuff in order too .... It sucks, it took a toll on my wife also

maher_tyler
01-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Thats messed up..glad you're ok!

Kinda wakes you up to smell the roses though!

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Frat bros for life brah!

crazyhorse
01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
You know, ironically I got up in the middle of the night last night because I couldn't breath. I just happened to scan a couple of sites while I caught my breath. This was one of them. I thought about this thread all day. I wanted to respond before this, but the thread had me thinking about a couple things and i wanted to think them through before I responded.

When I 1st started reading I was immediately horrified and I flashed back to the day I got the news. I knew right then exactly what you were going through. But of course as I read on I realized that you were okay and I think god for that.

Then came what I would described as mixed emotions on the subject. As many here have stated, I would be pissed at the person who screwed up the EKG.

I also felt sympathy for the people that love you. Because as you have found out, it is as tough on them as it is on you (almost). They walk on the journey with you and have to not only deal with what they think you are going through, but what life will be like without you and what that means to thier life. And of course they have to do all that while trying not to make it tougher on you emotionally.

Then the part I hate to admit. I was jealous. See, in a sense you were cured. I was not. I still think about my mortality all day every day. Please understand, I am not crying about it or looking for sympathy. I am just sharing my experience in reading your post.

Finally, the main reason I waited so long to respond. I was bothered a little by how quickly you accepted your mortality. I dont mean that in a bad way. I mean, it took me a long time to come to terms. I was really sick by the time I started talking about getting my affairs in order. I had talked to more than one doctor before I even took it seriously. Because like you, I was stilll in fine shape. I didn't feel like I had what he was saying I had. The symptoms really hadn't started yet. Minor ones had, but barely noticeable. So I guess what I am saying is, I felt like you gave up on yourself to easily.

You are talking to a guy that has had a bi-lateral lung transplant. I fight for my life every day. If I reccommended anything to you or anyone that has to go through what you have gone through, it would be to fight to the end. I'm not saying that you wouldn't. But in reading your post I got a sense of a defeatist attitude. If you give up before your done then you will have wasted the precious life you have left. I value everything like it's my last one. My last Christmas, my last New Years, the last kiss with my wife. It has given me something I never had before. A true appreciation for everything around me. A sense of whats important in my life and what I want to represent with my life. It has shown me something that very few people have the opportunity to see. I would trade it all not to be sick. But there is something to fight for no matter what.

With all that said, please understand that what I am saying is not simply directed at you, but anyone. Perhaps I read something in your post that wasn't there. But I was concerned and I mention these things here because I care. "Frame of mind" is something I specialize in these days. Nobody knows more than I how important it is to focus on the positive.

Now, if you are married or have a special love of your life I reccommend you go to her and kiss her like it is the last time you will ever do it. Kiss your mom like it's the last time you will do it. Treat your friends as its the last time you will see them. Because one thing I know for sure that you realized on your journey was that nothing in this life is important except the relationships you have with yourself, and the people around you.

God Bless you brother.

Nobody could be happier for you than I am. I know where you were at. To come out of it with a new life is the ultimate blessing. Appreciate it.

Appreciate it and treat it like I would.

Dan

Dr. Broncenstein
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
There are some serious holes in this story. Glad it worked out and you have a new lease on life, but to conclude you had anything remotely fatal from a single EKG is just straight up retarded. Pulmonary hypertension is a completely different problem from essential hypertension, and I seriously doubt you have either. If you can survive off room air, have intact shpincters and skin, feed/water/clean yourself... thank your lucky stars. I'm thankful every day for just that.

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
There are some serious holes in this story. Glad it worked out and you have a new lease on life, but to conclude you had anything remotely fatal from a single EKG is just straight up retarded. Pulmonary hypertension is a completely different problem from essential hypertension, and I seriously doubt you have either. If you can survive off room air, have intact shpincters and skin, feed/water/clean yourself... thank your lucky stars. I'm thankful every day for just that.

Fag

Dr. Broncenstein
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Fag

B!tch

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
B!tch

Go back to africa you dirty apache

ant1999e
01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Go back to africa you dirty apache

I hope you feel like an asshole tomorrow. I predict an apology thread coming.

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I hope you feel like an a-hole tomorrow. I predict an apology thread coming.

Only thing I am sorry about is dingleberries in the tub. **** sux. you'll take a dump and then wipe your ass, all excited to soak your sphincter in the tub and then BAM you see little toiletpaperturdberries floating in front of you. like, what are u gonna do? Nothing you can do but eat them, you feel me bros?

Mogulseeker
01-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I feel your pain, I had a routine EKG in preparation for a colonostrophy and later they said the colonostrophy was great but the EGK picked up a level 7 severe problem in one chamber. It was 2 months before I could get in to see a cardiologist, he took one look at it and said it was a trash echo and nothing to worry about. I didn't sleep for a month and got all my stuff in order too .... It sucks, it took a toll on my wife also

Wow, so you went through the exact same thing.

I did research, and false positives tend to happen a lot - 30% of positives are false positives according to Georgetown Medical school. General practitioners aren't really trained (like a cardiologist) to read EKGs, and it's really easy for the nurse to mess up the lead placement.

Hence all the tests.

Pontius Pirate
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Wow, so you went through the exact same thing.

I did research, and false positives tend to happen a lot - 30% of positives are false positives according to Georgetown Medical school. General practitioners aren't really trained (like a cardiologist) to read EKGs, and it's really easy for the nurse to mess up the lead placement.

Hence all the tests.

Bro this is truly a heartwarming story. What are you going to do with the rest of your life? Masturbate a lot?

DBroncos4life
01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Bro this is truly a heartwarming story. What are you going to do with the rest of your life? Masturbate a lot?

I remember my first beer.....

tsiguy96
01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
this is weird, because a lead doesnt really go on backwards or forwards, she would have had to place a lead in the wrong spot (ie mess 2 of them up), and it actually is pretty hard to mess up placing EKGs especially for someone who has done it for any amount of time. we learned to do stress tests and after just a few weeks we could successfully run them even with very elementary diagnosis of them. the fact that they did not run another stress test or run multiple other tests to confirm the diagnosis is ridiculous.

LongDongJohnson
01-17-2010, 01:39 AM
k

BroncoBuff
01-17-2010, 03:38 AM

Can't imagine such a thing ... you hid it well.