PDA

View Full Version : Report: Patriots fire defensive coordinator

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The ugly end to New England's season has reportedly cost defensive coordinator Dean Pees his job.

Shalise Manza Young broke the news that Pees, 60, was fired Thursday.

Pees kept a low profile as the team's defensive coordinator, although he was recently in the news for being hospitalized for shortness of breath in Week Seventeen.

A former head coach at Kent State, Pees was with New England for six seasons, including the last four as defensive coordinator. He also coached under Nick Saban at Michigan State.

The Patriots came in fifth in scoring defense this year, but came up small in big games. Pees' defensive squads in New England didn't finish worse than eighth in scoring defense in his four seasons.

ESPN's Michael Smith suggested on Twitter that linebackers coach Matt Patricia will be a candidate to replace Pees. Patriots fans will wonder why the team didn't bid on Romeo Crennel, but the Patriots traditionally promote from within for their coordinator positions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/patriots-fire-defensive-coordinator/

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Kent State!!! WOOT WOOT! Sign him up! Maybe he can coach runningbacks! Oh wait, Ben-dover McDaniels already has that job in the bag. :)

Crushaholic
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
It sounds like Pees was the scapegoat...AND he had health problems, as well. Classy...

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
It sounds like Pees was the scapegoat...AND he had health problems, as well. Classy...

OH so since he has health problems you risk your businesses success?

Some of you fucc tards are dumb as a hooker on the red light district.

Taco John
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Dean pees his job?

Taco John
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Sometimes I wonder how I manage to function as an adult.

OBF1
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
This message is hidden because bpc is on your ignore list.

Just can not longer listen to your constant whining and crying about your butt lovers replacement. Get the f u ck over it already and stop acting like lex

Crushaholic
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
OH so since he has health problems you risk your businesses success?

Some of you fucc tards are dumb as a hooker on the red light district.

The Patriots came in fifth in scoring defense this year, but came up small in big games. Pees' defensive squads in New England didn't finish worse than eighth in scoring defense in his four seasons.

The Patriots can do whatever they want with their business, but he was still a scapegoat. The guy did a pretty good job in his tenure...

jhat01
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Kent State!!! WOOT WOOT! Sign him up! Maybe he can coach runningbacks! Oh wait, Ben-dover McDaniels already has that job in the bag. :)

Easy... Jack Lambert might kick your ass, or James Harrison for that matter! Hell, even their basketball players become NFL probowlers!

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

The Patriots can do whatever they want with their business, but he was still a scapegoat. The guy did a pretty good job in his tenure...

I was only commenting on the health line - in regards to how Pee's performed - yeah he did a pretty good job - but there is much more information to be had. Maybe they're looking for a change - maybe they know something we don't (highly likely), who knows.

It does kind of suck that Seymour was taken away from him too.

I don't think they're looking for a "scapegoat" though - I think that term is pretty much stupid. You change what you need to change to improve. You don't just fire someone because you need someone to blame.

ColoradoDarin
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Functional gutless alcoholic? :~ohyah!:

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I bet Dean Pees regrets trading Seymour and Vrabel this off season.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

I wonder about that too... :yayaya:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Another thread derailment! WooOOOOO!Ooo1oo1o1oo !Booya!

Crushaholic
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Interesting. TheDave posted the profile of Ben McDaniels (Josh's brother) in another thread....:thumbs:

McDaniels was a quarterback at Kent State University under Head Coach Dean Pees from 1999-2001

broncocalijohn
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM

well, latch on to health problems. That should give you carte blanche to keep a job. Maybe his health problems affected his job on the Patriots.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
well, latch on to health problems. That should give you carte blanche to keep a job. Maybe his health problems affected his job on the Patriots.

My money is his head coach trading away his talent and leadership that he had to work with...

Florida_Bronco
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
This message is hidden because bpc is on your ignore list.

Just can not longer listen to your constant whining and crying about your butt lovers replacement. Get the f u ck over it already and stop acting like lex

I'm about to join you there.

watermock
01-14-2010, 03:22 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClynhFKMs3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClynhFKMs3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bpc
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Ah well now you guys can't even take a joke.

I feel considerably worse that Dmitri ignored me vs. you Florida Mallcop. Him and I have shared beers together and celebrated Bronco events.

You can go right ahead though. No loss there on my front.

Florida_Bronco
01-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Ah well now you guys can't even take a joke.

I feel considerably worse that Dmitri ignored me vs. you Florida Mallcop. Him and I have shared beers together and celebrated Bronco events.

You can go right ahead though. No loss there on my front.

If you stopped and read what I wrote, you'll see that I was "about" to put you on ignore. Also I think it's just a little sad that you treat me like the a-hole when I've practically begged you to start acting like the excellent poster you used to be. But, whatever I guess. It doesn't look like you have any desire to improve so there's no point in wasting any more time hoping. I'll go ahead and toss you onto the ignore list right now.

Thanks for making it clear to me that I made the right decision.

bpc
01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Listen, if **** stinks, you can't say it smells great. Right? I'm being patient with McDaniels. I'm not calling for him to be fired. I'm saying that there needs to be vast improvement, like he said there would be.

You all take criticism and poking fun to the n'th degree and are all upset over it.

I'm not a sunshine pumper. I never have been. When things are brokedown, how do you fix it or highlight the problem so it's known? You talk about it.

This is a forum. Get over it. It's not life. We're all just discussing.

If you don't like my content, PEACE.

2KBack
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I was only commenting on the health line - in regards to how Pee's performed - yeah he did a pretty good job - but there is much more information to be had. Maybe they're looking for a change - maybe they know something we don't (highly likely), who knows.

I don't think they're looking for a "scapegoat" though - I think that term is pretty much stupid. You change what you need to change to improve. You don't just fire someone because you need someone to blame.

Coyer

_Oro_
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM

It's not nec. good for the team. But I'm pretty sure that's how Shanny kept his job here for so long.

Drek
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Listen, if **** stinks, you can't say it smells great. Right? I'm being patient with McDaniels. I'm not calling for him to be fired. I'm saying that there needs to be vast improvement, like he said there would be.

You all take criticism and poking fun to the n'th degree and are all upset over it.

I'm not a sunshine pumper. I never have been. When things are brokedown, how do you fix it or highlight the problem so it's known? You talk about it.

This is a forum. Get over it. It's not life. We're all just discussing.

If you don't like my content, PEACE.
You aren't in touch with reality bpc, thats the real problem here.

McDaniels has taken control of a team with no toughness and an inmates running the asylum attitude towards player discipline. The first guy to test him was Cutler. McDaniels tried to work it out and Cutler refused, so McDaniels took a gross overpay and Cutler lied about ever wanting to be traded to the national media.

Now a few months later we see that McDaniels made the right move, getting a QB who lacks Cutler's physical talents but makes up for it admirably between the ears, plus extra picks.

You knock on his draft picks, yet last time I looked he had both first rounders playing considerable minutes as rookies, a second round safety finding good rotational minutes by the end of the year behind two very solid vets, and a 4th rounder who was a special teams demon. That is FOUR significant contributors from his first draft class in year one. Better than most and far better than Shanahan's average.

Marshall has pulled his same old ****, just like he did with Shanahan. No surprise there, and McDaniels handled it with the tough love approach that got a good 12 games out of Marshall. He then pulled the same **** again. We'll see how McDaniels deals with it this time.

Scheffler did something that John Elway said he'd want a teammate off the team for, openly wishing for the season to end while the rest of his teammates where fighting for a playoff spot.

You blame McDaniels because your golden calf Mike Shanahan, for all the great things he did here, left a **** pile of fragile prima donnas behind as the core talent group on this team.

When your kid spills milk all over the kitchen what do you do, walk in and yell at your wife for all the milk on the floor as she's cleaning it up? Because that is the rationale you're applying here.

gunns
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
If you stopped and read what I wrote, you'll see that I was "about" to put you on ignore. Also I think it's just a little sad that you treat me like the a-hole when I've practically begged you to start acting like the excellent poster you used to be. But, whatever I guess. It doesn't look like you have any desire to improve so there's no point in wasting any more time hoping. I'll go ahead and toss you onto the ignore list right now.

Thanks for making it clear to me that I made the right decision.

WOW! Begged him to start acting like an "excellent poster"? Desire to improve? OMG, you are now a part of the poster police? Did Popps and Tsi make you take a pledge? This has gotten comical. Don't bump into anything with that puffed out chest of yours, SIR.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Talk about a scapegoating. Belichek sent guys like Seymour and Vrabel packing and left Pees with a young, inexperienced defense and he produced the 5th best scoring D in the league. They struggled at times, sure, but what do you expect with such an inexperienced group? Maybe McDaniels can find a spot for him on the staff.

Florida_Bronco
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Drek, you said it better than I could have. Great post.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
WOW! Begged him to start acting like an "excellent poster"? Desire to improve? OMG, you are now a part of the poster police? Did Popps and Tsi make you take a pledge? This has gotten comical. Don't bump into anything with that puffed out chest of yours, SIR.

Do you follow orders without question? Do you like to bash people with opinions on a message board? Do you love McLoads to the face? You may just have what it takes to be a super fan for the Denver Broncos!

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Drek, you said it better than I could have. Great post.

+ 1:thumbsup:

gunns
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Do you follow orders without question? Do you like to bash people with opinions on a message board? Do you love McLoads to the face? You may just have what it takes to be a super fan for the Denver Broncos!

Gee, I don't know, I want to be worthy. But that orders thing.....will I ever humble myself enough to bow down? I doubt it.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
This thread is full of fail.

Pees wasn't fired. It was his choice to leave.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/01/15/pees_wont_return_to_patriots/

_Oro_
01-15-2010, 09:03 AM
This thread is full of fail.

Pees wasn't fired. It was his choice to leave.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/01/15/pees_wont_return_to_patriots/

Belicheck: Your fired or you can step down.

Pees: Okay boss I'll step down.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Belicheck: Your fired or you can step down.

Pees: Okay boss I'll step down.

We'll just ignore the fact that they were still talking about extending his contract less than a month ago.

His health problems clearly made his decision a little easier.