PDA

View Full Version : General College Football Thread - 2010

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Let's talk some college ball.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
GREENVILLE, N.C. -- Skip Holtz is leaving East Carolina to take over as coach at South Florida.

Holtz informed the team of his decision in a meeting Thursday afternoon, team spokesman Tom McClellan said.

South Florida fired coach Jim Leavitt earlier this month after a school investigation concluded he grabbed a player by the throat, slapped him in the face, then lied about it. Leavitt denied the allegations and insisted his dismissal was unwarranted.

The 45-year-old Holtz has led East Carolina to two consecutive Conference USA championships and 38 victories in four seasons. He also coached at Connecticut in the 1990s in the years before UConn became a Division I-A (FBS) program.

Holtz is the son of former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz, now a college football analyst at ESPN.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Will Muschamp, Texas' defensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting, has turned down a lucrative offer to be Tennessee's new coach, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I think both of those are dumb moves for their respective coaches. Muschamp is becoming the Jimbo Fisher of Texas. Go out and earn your own son!

Skip Holtz is leaving ECU for a school that's only marginally better and doesn't have much upside IMO. USF guarantees him a BCS if he can get there but at the same time, he'll just try to parlay that job into another one 2 years down the road.

Guess we'll see.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Early top 25 for 2010.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/12/early-2010-1/index.html?eref=sihp

I'm treating CU like they are dead even though they are my team... :(

In retrospect i'll be enjoying the big 10 and their tradition with 4 teams in the top 12. I'm also pulling for Udub to come back to football prominence in the Pac 10. It will be fun to watch Jake Locker next year. I'm sorta surprised they didn't squeek into the top 25.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/coach-92403-calhoun-statement.html

Calhoun to coach AFA football in 2010

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun isn’t going anywhere.

Calhoun, reported to be a top candidate for the coaching vacancy at Tennessee, released a statement this afternoon saying he will be the Falcons’ coach in 2010.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
15th? **** SI!!!

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Will Muschamp, Texas' defensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting, has turned down a lucrative offer to be Tennessee's new coach, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.

He must be stupid, stupid, stupid...... Why not take the 3 million for a few years and go back to Texas when Mack Brown leaves.

jhns
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
There isn't much to talk about when it comes to next season. Nebraska already has the national title locked up.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/coach-92403-calhoun-statement.html

Calhoun to coach AFA football in 2010

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun isn’t going anywhere.

Calhoun, reported to be a top candidate for the coaching vacancy at Tennessee, released a statement this afternoon saying he will be the Falcons’ coach in 2010.

Man. I don't even know if he would take the job but I'm trying to wrap my head around him coming to Boulder.

supermanhr9
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
There isn't much to talk about when it comes to next season. Nebraska already has the national title locked up.

Them or Notre Dame of course. I'm with you 100%

Skip is just gonna lay low until Brian Kelly F's it up in South Bend, then of course, Skip Holts will go after the Golden Dome Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a big Notre Dame Fan, I am actually hoping Brian Kelly turns everything around and Skip stays far away.

bpc
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
It still amazes me how Lou Holtz, in that little, un-athletic looking body with a weird voice could be such a powerful head coach. His ND teams were TOUGH!

Dagmar
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Will Hawkins turn it all around this year?

Probably not. :(

Bronco LB52
01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
It still amazes me how Lou Holtz, in that little, un-athletic looking body with a weird voice could be such a powerful head coach. His ND teams were TOUGH!

No kidding.

Does this look like a NFL coach to you?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9794/holtz4.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/holtz4.jpg/)

ohiobronco2
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Let's talk some college ball.

Go Big Ten.

Bronco LB52
01-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Skip Holtz is leaving ECU for a school that's only marginally better and doesn't have much upside IMO. USF guarantees him a BCS if he can get there but at the same time, he'll just try to parlay that job into another one 2 years down the road.

If you go by what they have accomplished on the field, ECU is on even ground with USF.

However, South Florida
1. in the BCS like you mentioned
AND
2. is located in a hot bed of football talent

so it's an upgrade in jobs.

I think there's more upside than you think here. They play in a state-of-the-art pro football stadium and are in an attractive area to live. It's a poor man's U.

Kid A
01-14-2010, 08:05 PM
15th? **** SI!!!

Plenty of others have us preseason top 10.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1037628
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4804655
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/5814809

Given what our offense was this year (terrible until a solid performance against Arizona in the bowl) any place in the top 20 is giving us the benefit of some considerable doubts.

Personally I think our offense will look better next year. I see Lee being unspectacular but much more solid in his 2nd year at the helm. I think Kinnie or one of the other WR should be able to step up and give us a decent #2 alongside the increasingly impressive Niles Paul. The o-line should be healthier and hopefully a couple touted recruits who redshirted can help out. And our RBs have already shown they are beasts. Lots of "hopefullys" and "I thinks" in there, but all told there is really no way to go but up.

Defense has to replaces some studs (namely the best defensive player in school history), but our depth on d-line, DB, and safety should keep us at the top tier in the conference. LB is the big question mark, as Dillard was pretty much the only one last year that did much. Compton and the rest need to step up.

ST with Henery and Kunalic should be stellar again.

The big keys, though, and the reasons I think we might prove worthy of the top 10 billing are:

-Year 3 under Pelini. We're as stable as we've been in a while. Lots of positive momentum from the end of last year and good vibes around the program. Given the way we let VT and Texas slip through our fingers I think this team is carrying a little of the Unfinished Business swagger we saw in the early 90s. Maybe not the same talent level, but mentally I think this team is close to where it needs to be.

-The schedule. http://huskersgameday.com/future-cornhuskers-football-schedule/2010-schedule/ Right now we would be favored in every game except maybe Texas, and that game is in Lincoln so those aren't long odds either. Playing at Washington will be dangerous with Locker.

Any conference road game is scary (at Okie St, no matter how good or bad they are, seems to always give us trouble), so I'm not seeing a perfect record in our future. But I do think if this team hits a rhythm heading into Big XII play it can do some special things.

ohiobronco2
01-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Has anybody seen the recruiting class that Florida is about to land? Wow. With that being said, I hope Urban Meyer is sodomized with a 15 inch d*** with AIDS. He's a scum bag. Look no further than below. Ohio St. was leading for this kid for months before God intervened.

http://blog.gamecockcentral.com/2010/01/only-recruiting-rule-that-truly-matters.html

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Go Big Ten.

Right on.

I think Rich Rod needs at least an 8-4 season to save his job....and I don't see that happening.

Michigan has a new AD, David Brandon, taking over for Bill Martin in March, and he is a 'Michigan Man'.

Brandon played under Bo and I have a feeling he is going to want to get back to playing Michigan football....and am I all for it, if Rich Rod stinks it up again.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Has anybody seen the recruiting class that Florida is about to land? Wow. With that being said, I hope Urban Meyer is sodomized with a 15 inch d*** with AIDS. He's a scum bag. Look no further than below. Ohio St. was leading for this kid for months before God intervened.

http://blog.gamecockcentral.com/2010/01/only-recruiting-rule-that-truly-matters.html

That is taking recruiting to the next level.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Reminds me of the episode of 'The Simpsons' called 'Radio Bart' where Bart has a microphone that transmits to AM radios and tells Ned Flanders that he is God and to leave all the cookies on his front porch.

robbieopperude
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Florida is just ridiculous and yet I think Alabama will have a a very high chance of repeating. Saban might have Meyers number.

ohiobronco2
01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Florida is just ridiculous and yet I think Alabama will have a a very high chance of repeating. Saban might have Meyers number.

I dont expect Florida to be much more than a nine win team next year. It's the following years where they will be tough.

Garcia Bronco
01-15-2010, 05:38 AM
OH look...there are the Hokies again.

Inkana7
01-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Oh please. Him stealing a recruit from OSU does not make him scum. He's one of the better people in college coaching. Don't be so dramatic.

oubronco
01-15-2010, 09:10 AM

for all we know they all do that sort of thing and i'd bet they go farther than that to sign the best talent

ohiobronco2
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh please. Him stealing a recruit from OSU does not make him scum. He's one of the better people in college coaching. Don't be so dramatic.

Stop following me around you dirty phag.

ohiobronco2
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
for all we know they all do that sort of thing and i'd bet they go farther than that to sign the best talent

I would say that there are many that do that sort of thing. I doubt they all do. For the most part, I'd say that this happens the most in the SEC. I'm not saying this simply because I'm tired of all of the SEC knob jobs that ESPN gives them (Of course, they must given their contract.) The SEC has played by different rules for years. They just changed their rules as far as how many players they could sign in a given year, they would consistently over sign (Many times taking kids that they knew couldn't make it academically) and either be forced to cut kids loose or filter them out military academies (like a farm system) till they get their grades in order. That does happen in other conferences, but not to the same degree. Everybody loves Urban, but he lied when he left Bowling Green and Utah. He told his kids that he wasn't going to leave and did. I don't know if this link I attached is completely legit, but I do know that Urban isn't the good guy that so many are making him out to be.

TheChamp24
01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Somewhat surprised how high the Sooners are ranked, but definitely could see them around there if things work out well.

Bronco LB52
01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Tennessee is now my favorite SEC school. Derek Dooley is a man of integrity and Vols fans should be excited about dumping that sleaze ball for a Southerner that won't take that gig for granted.

SoCalBronco
01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
15th? **** SI!!!

Yeah...they had Miami #14, too. I'll say this....if Miami finishes #14 in 2010 then Shannon needs to go. In fact, he needs to go now. We're getting raped by Florida and Florida State in recruiting right now.....and that's supposed to be the only thing Shannon is good at, cause he's a horrible game day coach and tactician. It probably also doesn't help that there are racial divisions on the coaching staff, either.

robbieopperude
01-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Didn't Miami do well last year in recruiting. Things will turn around at the U soon enough. I see them as a top 10 tier program now. You can't complain about that. To be aconsistent top 5 program now days you have to cycle in amazing talent and develop QB's. Miami hasn't done the 2nd one yet.

bpc
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
CU will be marginally better this year only because it can't get any worse. The players are a year older (and thinking about transferring in the boatloads) but the schedule is much tougher than last season.

I'm hoping Udub comes back strong this year with Locker. Nebraska at Washington could be a doozy!

I'm also a big 10 fan. Great traditional, classy football in that conference. Now if Rich Rod can just do bad enough to get fired, that would be awesome. I don't know what UM was thinking bringing that jackass into the fold. The attempt never worked. Some programs just need to stay in house. Who better to protect the honor of a Wolverine, than somebody who has been there and done that.

Since I don't have any obvious connection to the big 10, it sucks. Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State among others are just great schools and easy to root for. When Michigan's down, there is a main member of that fraternity which is lacking. We all need the Wolverines to come back and contend for championships.

Whatever they have to do, to get back in Harbaugh's good graces... they should do it.

SPfloppy
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Muschamp would be foolish to leave and the Jimbo Fisher analogy dosn't work. Mack has only been with Texas for a decade or so. Muschamp knows to a certainty that once Mack does hand it up he is gonna get such a sweet deal from Texas he could retire and run for mayor of Austin. Mack could run for governor tomorrow and except for aggies fans, he'd win in a landslide

Kid A
01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Muschamp would be foolish to leave and the Jimbo Fisher analogy dosn't work. Mack has only been with Texas for a decade or so. Muschamp knows to a certainty that once Mack does hand it up he is gonna get such a sweet deal from Texas he could retire and run for mayor of Austin. Mack could run for governor tomorrow and except for aggies fans, he'd win in a landslide

I also get the impression that while, yes, he does aspire to be a head coach and get the pay raise that goes along with that, Muschamp really enjoys just being a defensive coordinator. He's in no rush to have to relinquish some of his defensive duties while taking on HC responsibilities.

robbieopperude
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
CU will be marginally better this year only because it can't get any worse. The players are a year older (and thinking about transferring in the boatloads) but the schedule is much tougher than last season.

I'm hoping Udub comes back strong this year with Locker. Nebraska at Washington could be a doozy!

I'm also a big 10 fan. Great traditional, classy football in that conference. Now if Rich Rod can just do bad enough to get fired, that would be awesome. I don't know what UM was thinking bringing that jackass into the fold. The attempt never worked. Some programs just need to stay in house. Who better to protect the honor of a Wolverine, than somebody who has been there and done that.

Since I don't have any obvious connection to the big 10, it sucks. Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State among others are just great schools and easy to root for. When Michigan's down, there is a main member of that fraternity which is lacking. We all need the Wolverines to come back and contend for championships.

Whatever they have to do, to get back in Harbaugh's good graces... they should do it.

CU's on field performance should be better but I don't think the W/L will change by much because of the schedule.

SouthStndJunkie
08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=ArMjru5_9s_WTrCB59ifgiHynYl4?slug=ap-mississippi-masoli

Former Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli joins Ole Miss

Arkie
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
No kidding.

Does this look like a NFL coach to you?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9794/holtz4.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/holtz4.jpg/)

Lou Holtz's take on his own doll: "My first reaction was that it was the ugliest thing I ever saw, but then I thought it does look like me."

1970s Lou Holtz
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/5731/1020/Lou_Holtz_front___back.jpg

Hogan11
08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Go Dawgs