PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Wiliiamson: AFC West mock draft (take II)

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
We’re going to try to do a weekly AFC West mock draft. Sometimes, there will be dramatic change, depending on developments. Sometimes, there may not be any change.

This is our second week doing the project. We’re not going to include San Diego in this mock draft because its draft position has yet to be determined.

No. 5, Kansas City: OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State: With Okung at left tackle and Branden Albert being moved to right tackle, the rebirth would be in full swing.

Last week: Okung.

No. 8, Oakland: OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers: Oakland has ignored this need for the past few years. Davis is a line-changing player.

Last week: Davis.

No. *10 or 11, Denver: LB Rolando McClain, Alabama: Oakland could also look at McClain, who seems destined to be an NFL star.

Last week: DT Brian Price, UCLA

* There will be a coin flip at the NFL combine in late February between Jacksonville and Chicago for the No. 10 pick. The Broncos own Chicago’s first-round pick from the Jay Cutler trade.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/9069/afc-west-mock-draft-take-ii

SureShot
01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
No. 5, Kansas City: OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State: With Okung at left tackle and Branden Albert being moved to right GUARD, the rebirth would be in full swing.

Fixed.

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
No. 8, Oakland: OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers: Oakland has ignored this need for the past few years. Davis is a line-changing player.

Ignored it? No. They've failed miserably at everything they've tried.

TheDave
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Since every mock draft on the planet has us taking McClain... I'm guessing that never happens.

supermanhr9
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm guessing we trade it away for something huge.

broncosteven
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Do we need to take an LB that high?

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Okung is the smart pick for the Chiefs.

So we can throw that out.

Rabb
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
is it just me or could KC be pretty ****ing difficult to play in a couple years?

I hate this

Doggcow
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
is it just me or could KC be pretty ****ing difficult to play in a couple years?

I hate this

You really think Brandon Albert's knees will still exist in a couple years?

watermock
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Let's let lil bro try....

broncosteven
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM

I hate this

Nope it is not just you.

I think once they stop beating themselves by dropping balls and fumbling they could be up there with SD as the class of the AFC West.

They have a solid NFL QB, a 1600 yard back, Chambers made the WR pool better, they get a new id on D and pick up an Olineman and a couple WR's they could start a new Analhead sell out streak.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM

I'm willing to put money on the fact that Shanahan takes Okung at 4. No doubt in my mind.

24champ
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I think this is pretty much going to be a defensive draft for us, probably will get some O-line help in the 2-7th rounds, and some FA signings.

McClain would be a great pick for Denver, but nobody knows where these guys will be slotted until after the combines.

UberBroncoMan
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Nope it is not just you.

I think once they stop beating themselves by dropping balls and fumbling they could be up there with SD as the class of the AFC West.

They have a solid NFL QB, a 1600 yard back, Chambers made the WR pool better, they get a new id on D and pick up an Olineman and a couple WR's they could start a new Analhead sell out streak.

Yeah, I too see the Chiefs getting really good in a year or two. They should be an above .500 team in two years.

The concept of Doom / McClain / Williams /Ayers seems great on paper... though is he worth getting as an upgrade over Davis? ... or maybe there's a better pick out there such as on the D-Line.

yavoon
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't like mock drafts, it almost always involves taking bunches of teams you know relatively little about. picking a position that they "need" then going to some fabricated draft board and slotting in a player from that position in around where they pick.

Rabb
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
You really think Brandon Albert's knees will still exist in a couple years?

just saying, they seem to be making a lot of pretty nice moves and I think once they give their guy some time to throw and one person to actually catch...they could be good

this draft is just huge for us, huge

bpc
McClain has some positive traits in his game. If you're expecting a world beater like Patrick Willis though, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

2KBack
Yeah, I too see the Chiefs getting really good in a year or two. They should be an above .500 team in two years.

The concept of Doom / McClain / Williams /Ayers seems great on paper... though is he worth getting as an upgrade over Davis? ... or maybe there's a better pick out there such as on the D-Line.

I've been debating about McClain as well. What I keep thinking about is the difference Al Wilson made for Denver's D. Obviously McClain is no Wilson (yet). But beyond his measurables, he has a reputation as being the smartest defender on the field, and the unquestioned leader. To me that is like getting a linebacker version of Brian Dawkins...but in his early 20's.

HEAV
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I've been debating about McClain as well. What I keep thinking about is the difference Al Wilson made for Denver's D. Obviously McClain is no Wilson (yet). But beyond his measurables, he has a reputation as being the smartest defender on the field, and the unquestioned leader. To me that is like getting a linebacker version of Brian Dawkins...but in his early 20's.

McClain is too slow in my view.

It all depends with the Marshall plan and free agency. If Brandon is gone and no replacement (legit) from free agency is added...then it's WR.

robbieopperude
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I hope we take McLain in Round 1. The dude is legit and would be a game changer over Davis by the middle of next season. Round 2 I would really like us to go BPA. Could be Colt McCoy, could be a WR like Golden Tate, could be OL or DL. Just best player overall at a position of need.

Alot of what we do will be dependent upon what happens to Marshall. If he is gone alot of people will want Dez Bryant in the first. I don't see Mcnutt ball taking him. I don't recall NE taking to many 1st round WR's.

2KBack
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
McClain is too slow in my view.

It all depends with the Marshall plan and free agency. If Brandon is gone and no replacement (legit) from free agency is added...then it's WR.

that would piss me off. Of course I'd be pissed by anything other than Oline, Dline, or linebacker in the first few rounds.

McClain is as fast of faster than Andra Davis, that's for sure. I like Davis, he's solid, but McClain is a difference maker in more than one way.

BroncoBuff
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Ignored it? No. They've failed miserably at everything they've tried.

Aren't they still starting Cooper Carlisle and Cornell Green? ROFL!

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm alittle concerned about McClain being on college best D it covers up weaknesses that would show up in Denver.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
McClain will never be Al Wilson. Al Wilson was rage and intensity re-incarnated into a football player. McClain is a heady football player but his motor is too hot and cold.

Br0nc0Buster
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Sam Bradford
Gerald McCoy
Dez Bryant(assuming Marshall is traded)
Joe Haden
Rolando McClain

That is my short list of guys I like with our top pick
I like McClain, but drafting a LB that high is kinda meh

2KBack
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm alittle concerned about McClain being on college best D it covers up weaknesses that would show up in Denver.

Or it could be considered impressive to be the consensus best defender on the best defense in college.

Bigdawg26
01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I would wait to see his combine number to rank McClain as a top 10 pick. If he run under 4.6 than yeah, but I REALLY don't think LB is our biggest need. I mean we are pretty solid with DJ and Davis in the middle. I think we need a NT more than anything on defense and bigger and more talented DE's in the second-mid rounds.

bpc
01-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Bama's unit is loaded. You're going to see more than a few 1st and 2nd round picks coming from that unit over the next couple years led by Barron and Dareus. Is McClain really this great? Or is he just the Knowshon Moreno of his position in a year where there isn't much depth?

bpc
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
In all honesty, we just need to go BPA. The good thing about this for us is that we have holes all over the field and can use help just about every where.

boppool
01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
<b>No. 8, Oakland: OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers: Oakland has ignored this need for the past few years. Davis is a line-changing player.</b>

I didn't know Faiders needed another offensive guard... :rofl:

Lolad
01-14-2010, 03:39 PM
If we trade Brandon Marshall and pick up a 1st round WR I'll be pissed. That would be the dumbest move Mc Daniels could make

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
We’re going to try to do a weekly AFC West mock draft. Sometimes, there will be dramatic change, depending on developments. Sometimes, there may not be any change.

This is our second week doing the project. We’re not going to include San Diego in this mock draft because its draft position has yet to be determined.

No. 5, Kansas City: OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State: With Okung at left tackle and Branden Albert being moved to right tackle, the rebirth would be in full swing.

Last week: Okung.

Last week: Davis.

No. *10 or 11, Denver: LB Rolando McClain, Alabama: Oakland could also look at McClain, who seems destined to be an NFL star.

Last week: DT Brian Price, UCLA

* There will be a coin flip at the NFL combine in late February between Jacksonville and Chicago for the No. 10 pick. The Broncos own Chicago’s first-round pick from the Jay Cutler trade.

Translation:

Hi, I'm Bill Williamson and I write crap for ESPN. I don't really research anything, especially if it's about things like, ohhh, NFL Football, but I have a job writing so here goes...

Blah, blah, blah....

bpc
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I can't think of any guy who's gotten farther in journalism, despite lacking obvious talent, vs this hack.

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing we trade it away for something huge.

i'm guess we trade back and get Iupati. 10 or 11 is too high to take a guard, but around 20 or so it would be a good move getting the best guard in the draft.

bpc
01-14-2010, 04:35 PM
In a perfect world, I would love to trade back and get a combination of Iupati, Golden Tate, or Jerry Hughes. It would fricken make my day.

There are numerous other guys I would love to have as well, those are just the guys that are on the top of my head right now.

kmartin575
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Rolando McClain is the smart pick for Denver.

So I guess we can throw that out.

Yeah, Denver has any room to talk since you had SOOO much production out of your 1st round picks (and draft class in general).

Pontius Pirate
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/mcclane.jpg

robbieopperude
01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I could see Price the DT from UCLA too with our pick.

Hamrob
01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not sold on McClain...seems like another Moreno to me. I'd rather have spikes later on in the first. Spikes reminds me of Al Wilson. I'd also much rather draft a kid like Kindle to play OLB. We could have Kindle pair up with Doom on the outside. That would be sick.

Areas of need:

Dline
QB
LB
OLine
WR
RB

Hamrob
01-14-2010, 07:26 PM
In a perfect world, I would love to trade back and get a combination of Iupati, Golden Tate, or Jerry Hughes. It would fricken make my day.

There are numerous other guys I would love to have as well, those are just the guys that are on the top of my head right now.I agree...If we could trade our #1 for Iupati and Spikes....I'd piss my pants!

Traveler
01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not sold on McClain...seems like another Moreno to me. I'd rather have spikes later on in the first. Spikes reminds me of Al Wilson. I'd also much rather draft a kid like Kindle to play OLB. We could have Kindle pair up with Doom on the outside. That would be sick.

Areas of need:

Dline
QB
LB
OLine
WR
RB

What happens with Ayers? Moves to DE?

SoDak Bronco
01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Ayers will be fine...I think we will see a much more improved player next season. This was his first year in a new system, and adjusting to the NFL. The kid was in quite a few plays (often just missing the play), hopefully he can work on his technique and make those plays next season. Look at Most 3-4 OLBs, it takes a few years to adjust, Elvis was really unbelievable at how well he did in his first season.

Drek
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Bama's unit is loaded. You're going to see more than a few 1st and 2nd round picks coming from that unit over the next couple years led by Barron and Dareus. Is McClain really this great? Or is he just the Knowshon Moreno of his position in a year where there isn't much depth?

This is why your recent posting on here sucks bpc. Your opinions are so clouded by McD hate that you don't use any common sense.

Knowshon Moreno was a top 15 back in ANY draft class. If you transposed him into the 2008 draft he goes before Jonathan Stewart and Chris Johnson. If you put him in the 2007 draft he goes just a few picks after Adrian Peterson. Knowshon Moreno is an elite offensive talent.

Also, yes, McClain is that damn good. This ILB crop actually has two incomers who live up to the hype (McClain and Spikes). McClain wouldn't be viewed so highly if he wasn't legit. He's not a Patrick Willis type, he's a hammer. You put him in a 3-4 next to a Patrick Willis (or in our case DJ Williams) and you watch as McClain stuffs the gaps letting that other ILB run free and make tackles.

He's what Ray Maualuga was hyped up to be as opposed to the two down player he really is. McClain is a power 'backer who has what it takes between the ears to make all the right reads and lead a defense.

Areas of need:

Dline
QB
LB
OLine
WR
RB

What the hell is wrong with you?

Robert Ayers played more as a rookie than any front seven player Shanahan drafted with one exception, DJ Williams.

This was a guy that every draft expert said was a project that wouldn't pay full dividends for a couple years. We had him in heavy rotation opposite Doom from day one.

We have our bookend OLBs and in a couple years you'll be on this forum talking about what a stud Robert Ayers is with no acknowledgment of this stupid ass post you made.

Harvitz81
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I would be really happy with McClain, and if we get another first rounder from Marshall (say Miami or Baltimore), then get Iupati.

Consensus top linebacker and guard would be pretty sweet. Plus I like taking those picks as our first rounders as 1st round backers and guards tend to live up to hype. Look at what Ben Grubbs has done for Baltimores run game, and if I'm not mistaken, I think he was a 1st rd pick a couple years ago around 20.

With that said, you can generally get a good linebacker in the late 1st, early second as well. Just look at Cushing, Matthews, DeMeco Ryans, Lauranitus and the likes.

All I really hope is that we get 3-5 starters out of the draft (not immediately, but by year 2 at least). Would go a long way to improving this team.

I ABSOLUTELY would be furious if we traded Marshall for a 1st rounder and turned around and used that pick on a WR. That is basically what the Vikings did with Moss and ended up with Troy Williamson. Please don't make that same mistake. Reinforce the defensive front 7 and the Oline is my wish for the first couple rounds.

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 08:35 PM
It's pretty stupid ... "another Moreno." Like Moreno has already proven to be Jarvis Moss esque. Take a look at Deangelo Williams. The same hindsighters would be sitting that year talking about how he was a bust.

Moreno played good, especially with horrid run blocking. I'm not sure how you can be mad at Moreno when he was met behind the line of scrimmage for a good portion of his carries, and met right AT the line of scrimmage with most his other carries.

If you can't gain 1 yard - that's your line's fault. Our line had horrible play this season and we lost in the trenches.

McClain another Moreno...makes me wonder if anyone here actually studies before they actually make statements?

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
1st/round - Dez Bryant if Marshall is gone or Rolando McClain (best linbacker in draft and would be a good fit with Doom)

2nd/round - Colt McCoy or Brandon Spikes
I would really love to see us pull the trigger on Toby Gerhart, would that light up the Mane.

3rd/round - Jorden Shipley

The NT will be addressed in FA.

Requiem
01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
You'd be surprised at what people do to justify theyselves.

Pontius Pirate
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
1st/round - dez bryant if marshall is gone or rolando mcclain (best linbacker in draft and would be a good fit with doom)

2nd/round - colt mccoy or brandon spikes
i would really love to see us pull the trigger on toby gerhart, would that light up the mane.

3rd/round - jorden shipley

the nt will be addressed in fa.

yes! Moar runninbaks and qwerterbaks pls! Kthxbai!

Archer81
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
1st/round - Dez Bryant if Marshall is gone or Rolando McClain (best linbacker in draft and would be a good fit with Doom)

2nd/round - Colt McCoy or Brandon Spikes
I would really love to see us pull the trigger on Toby Gerhart, would that light up the Mane.

3rd/round - Jorden Shipley

The NT will be addressed in FA.

I think Shipley goes in the 2nd round, and I dont think Spikes falls into the 2nd round. Would be interesting if we get McClain in the 1st, C. McCoy in the 2nd though.

:Broncos:

ColoradoBuff
01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
This is why your recent posting on here sucks bpc. Your opinions are so clouded by McD hate that you don't use any common sense.

Knowshon Moreno was a top 15 back in ANY draft class. If you transposed him into the 2008 draft he goes before Jonathan Stewart and Chris Johnson. If you put him in the 2007 draft he goes just a few picks after Adrian Peterson. Knowshon Moreno is an elite offensive talent.

Also, yes, McClain is that damn good. This ILB crop actually has two incomers who live up to the hype (McClain and Spikes). McClain wouldn't be viewed so highly if he wasn't legit. He's not a Patrick Willis type, he's a hammer. You put him in a 3-4 next to a Patrick Willis (or in our case DJ Williams) and you watch as McClain stuffs the gaps letting that other ILB run free and make tackles.

He's what Ray Maualuga was hyped up to be as opposed to the two down player he really is. McClain is a power 'backer who has what it takes between the ears to make all the right reads and lead a defense.

Robert Ayers played more as a rookie than any front seven player Shanahan drafted with one exception, DJ Williams.

This was a guy that every draft expert said was a project that wouldn't pay full dividends for a couple years. We had him in heavy rotation opposite Doom from day one.

We have our bookend OLBs and in a couple years you'll be on this forum talking about what a stud Robert Ayers is with no acknowledgment of this stupid ass post you made.

I agree with this post 100%

Garcia Bronco
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Since every mock draft on the planet has us taking McClain... I'm guessing that never happens.

LOL...I said the samething when every mock had us taking Leleie and Jarvia Moss.

Rohirrim
01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I still say McClain comes out of the Combine a top five pick.

Baba Booey
01-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Praying for Bradford to fall, which probably won't happen, and even if it does I can't see McD taking a QB in the first.

I'd be cool with McClain or Mays. Either one adds more athleticism and attitude to the defense that guys like Dawkins and DJ already bring.

ZONA
01-16-2010, 02:39 AM

Scouts account for that. But he probably does get more attention being on a great team.

watermock
01-16-2010, 03:00 AM

wow.

That's comforting.

Broncos_OTM
01-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Negatives on McClain. Struggles to get off blocks. I think it would be a horrible decision to play him at SILB. I was reading a report on him that had his % of getting of blocks was really horrible. If you want a SILB you get Spikes. McClain would be good to great at DJ williams Position. However we have DJ who is not going anywhere with the contract he just signed. One of the biggest reasosns for the sucess of McClain was Terrance Cody. I like Cody as a player. He would make this run Defense Elite. However do you spend a first rounder on a guy who is only gonna play 50 percent of the snaps.... I defiently would consider it.

If we are to trade Marshall. the two best players we could sign in round one would be

Cody
Lupati

Move Ron Fields to a DE position a

Since we would be running a rotation of Dlineman and schemes. i have to think cody is a good fit. I hope we see a varied Defense next year between 4-3 and 3-4

Broncos_OTM
01-16-2010, 07:37 AM
It's pretty stupid ... "another Moreno." Like Moreno has already proven to be Jarvis Moss esque. Take a look at Deangelo Williams. The same hindsighters would be sitting that year talking about how he was a bust.

Moreno played good, especially with horrid run blocking. I'm not sure how you can be mad at Moreno when he was met behind the line of scrimmage for a good portion of his carries, and met right AT the line of scrimmage with most his other carries.

If you can't gain 1 yard - that's your line's fault. Our line had horrible play this season and we lost in the trenches.

McClain another Moreno...makes me wonder if anyone here actually studies before they actually make statements?

I see Moreno closer to a Lawerence Marouney then a Denangelo Williams.

Ziggy
01-16-2010, 08:25 AM
i'm guess we trade back and get Iupati. 10 or 11 is too high to take a guard, but around 20 or so it would be a good move getting the best guard in the draft.

Iupati will be long gone at #20. I know that it's unusual for a guard, but he's going to go around the middle of the round or higher.

Gob
01-16-2010, 10:08 AM

I don't think Hamilton or Wiegmann was blocking for him his last year in college against Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Michigan State or Tennessee were they? Its going to be hard to find NFL defenses that play like Georgia Southern or Central Michigan.

Durango
01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not anywhere nearly as knowledgeable as the draftniks, but I've always found myself extremely disappointed after Denver drafts dating way back to the Red Miller years. Yes, we've managed some spectacular hits in all the muddled mess, but it seems we have a higher percentage of busts than most teams. I don't know that that is true, just that it seems that way. I had no faith in the drafting abilities of Miller, or Reeves, Shanahan, OR McDaniels, but at least McDaniels has had only one limp wristed swing at it.