PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan and Haynesworth at odds on the 3-4

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 07:09 AM
For all the McDaniels haters that said Shanahan would be smart and utilize the talent in DC, he has pissed off Haynesworth with talk of the 3-4 and will run the ZBS that the skins fans saw as a complete failure when Zorn used it.

The addition of Spanos indicates that Shanahan and Haslett are seriously considering shifting to a 3-4 defensive scheme. Jason LaCanfora at NFL Network is reporting that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth will not be happy about any switch and the run/gap responsibilities assigned to the nosetackle in the 3-4. Haynesworth criticized previous defensive coordinator Greg Blache for not allowing him to freelance and create havoc behind the line.
http://www.examiner.com/x-450-Washington-Redskins-Examiner~y2010m1d14-Shanahan-hires-two-more-assistants-Haynesworth-doesnt-like-in-34-defense

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d815b6886/Around-the-League

cmhargrove
01-14-2010, 07:15 AM
If Shanny really does want the 3-4, he might do well to trade Haynesworth. That is a massive contract for a single cog of the line. Or, they could switch him to DE and let Albert be Albert.

He would be absolutely wasted money as a NT.

TheDave
01-14-2010, 07:17 AM
He wouldn't play NT... Haynesworth is a DE in a 3-4.

and could be an absolutely devastating one at that.

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Dude...you guys should discuss this at www.extremeskins.com :)

jhns
01-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Did he actually say he was mad or is this all speculation? Your title says he is and then your post says its speculation...

I have been wondering how Albert would take this. I want to know what he is actually thinking though, not what some reporter hopes becomes his next big story.

ant1999e
01-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Did he actually say he was mad or is this all speculation? Your title says he is and then your post says its speculation...

I have been wondering how Albert would take this. I want to know what he is actually thinking though, not what some reporter hopes becomes his next big story.

At odds. If Haynesworth is a 4-3 lineman and Shanny wants to swithch to a 3-4, it should be pretty obvious they would be "at odds". The title is fine.

jhns
01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
At odds. If Haynesworth is a 4-3 lineman and Shanny wants to swithch to a 3-4, it should be pretty obvious they would be "at odds". The title is fine.

If Haynesworth doesn't have a problem with it, they aren't at odds.

Smiling Assassin27
01-14-2010, 08:57 AM
He wouldn't play NT... Haynesworth is a DE in a 3-4.

and could be an absolutely devastating one at that.

In the interest of cap space, Shanny will probably track down DeWayne Robertson. :~ohyah!:

gyldenlove
01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
In the interest of cap space, Shanny will probably track down DeWayne Robertson. :~ohyah!:

Wouldn't that be slightly counterproductive in a cap free year?

bpc
01-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Personally I think it would be foolish for Shanny and the Skins to run the 3-4 because they have some players that are taylor made for the 4-3.

If they switch to a 3-4, they can move Carter and Orakpo to OLB, but then they render guys like McIntosh and Fletcher undersized. From what i've heard, McIntosh is one of the top young players on that defensive roster. So that doesn't really make sense to me.

I've seen Haynesworth in a 3-4. He has the rare ability to be effective in whatever defense he plays in but it does hurt his impact because he's such a big guy. He isn't going to run around anybody.

I don't understand why Shanny is hell bent on going to a 3-4 when he denied it for so many years. Sort of frustrating. We'll see.

UberBroncoMan
01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Personally I think it would be foolish for Shanny and the Skins to run the 3-4 because they have some players that are taylor made for the 4-3.

If they switch to a 3-4, they can move Carter and Orakpo to OLB, but then they render guys like McIntosh and Fletcher undersized. From what i've heard, McIntosh is one of the top young players on that defensive roster. So that doesn't really make sense to me.

I've seen Haynesworth in a 3-4. He has the rare ability to be effective in whatever defense he plays in but it does hurt his impact because he's such a big guy. He isn't going to run around anybody.

I don't understand why Shanny is hell bent on going to a 3-4 when he denied it for so many years. Sort of frustrating. We'll see.

Of all the Super Bowl winning teams the last decade how many have not been a 3-4?

Doggcow
01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Of all the Super Bowl winning teams the last decade how many have not been a 3-4?

How many of them were coached by the Legendary Shanahan also?

gyldenlove
01-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Giants, Rams, Bucs, Colts have all won with 4-3 in the last 10 super bowls. Before that we have 2 4-3 Broncos defenses to make it 6 of the last 12.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
If Haynesworth doesn't have a problem with it, they aren't at odds.

Haynesworth does have a problem with it, read the links.....

Popps
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow, you mean Shanahan... a new coach... is going to come in and implement his own system with his own players?

BPC said that's not the way it works!

Hmmm. You know, I'm starting to wonder if he's the football expert he claims to be.

bpc
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure. You can make a considerable case for either defense being a good one... just depends on what type of players you have.

4-3 requires that you have some absolute pass rushing phenoms on the edges, and some disruptive DT's. We could never get the right combination in Denver with the defense, and the dominant guys like Peppers and Williams were always drafted too high for us to get our hands on.

I always liked the 3-4 as a great defense because it can manufacture pressure easier, there is a crapload of tweeners every year that don't fit the 4-3 and you get them at a great value. I would imagine half the league, maybe a little less has switched to the 3-4 so the value isn't the same anymore.

jhns
01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Haynesworth does have a problem with it, read the links.....

I did read the first link and it isn't even sure they are going to a 3-4. Nothing in it says anything about what he actually thinks. It says, maybe, if, and could. As for the second link, it won't work on my phone and that's why I asked if he has actually said anything. The first link is a reporter trying to find controversy. Nothing there came from anything Shanahan, his staff, Albert, or his agent.

bpc
01-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow, you mean Shanahan... a new coach... is going to come in and implement his own system with his own players?

Hmmm. You know, I'm starting to wonder if he's the football expert he claims to be.

The funny thing is, 3-4 is not his system, at least not historically. He's always been a 4-3 guy. And the parts that he has in his front 7, Carter, Orakpo, Haynesworth, McIntosh, and Fletcher all fit perfectly in a 4-3.

It just seems foolish to me because he tried so hard in Denver to make the 4-3 work, when it didn't have the juice or the players to do much of anything for us.

BTW, I don't claim to be a football expert. I'm just a couch QB like everybody else.

Archer81
01-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Colts, Giants, Rams.

:Broncos:

PRBronco
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Colts, Giants, Rams.

The Ravens were a 4-3 for their SB too.

Archer81
01-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Them too.

baja
01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Shanny mentioned how much he would like to have Nolan as his assistant HC & DC so maybe we lose Nolan too.

~Crash~
01-14-2010, 09:50 AM

I bet he does not gut the team nice try ...:wave:

Doggcow
01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I bet he does not gut the team nice try ...:wave:

Yeah, hopefully he doesn't bring in guys like Brian Dawkins and Andra Davis to replace Vernon Fox and Nate Webster. They'd never recover.

2KBack
01-14-2010, 10:14 AM

and Tampa Bay.

BigPlayShay
01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
and Tampa Bay.

And the Pats 1st Superbowl in 2001, they were a hybrid, but mostly 4-3 base.

bombay
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
How dare a coach have an issue with a Franchise Player?

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
How dare a coach have an issue with a Franchise Player?

If Bowlen had any balls, he'd trade Marshall + whatever draft picks were necessary to bring in Haynesworth to play DE and Wilfork to play NT.

bombay
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
If Bowlen had any balls, he'd trade Marshall + whatever draft picks were necessary to bring in Haynesworth to play DE and Wilfork to play NT.

Please.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Please.

:twokisses

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Why is it frustrating for YOU? Are you not a Broncos fan? Why does it even matter?

Get the fucc outta here.

rastaman
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Wait until he snags Mike Nolan away as well.

rastaman
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM

He does have "Balls" he hired and inexperienced unproven 30 something year old HC who has a penchant to have a wrecking crew mentality in terms of chasing way skilled players.

Paladin
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=bpc;2716901] Sort of frustrating......QUOTE]

Why? It's the freaking Deadskins. Who cares?

TheDave
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Now that would be a defensive line!!!!!!!!!!

The MVPlaya
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
He does have "Balls" he hired and inexperienced unproven 30 something year old HC who has a penchant to have a wrecking crew mentality in terms of chasing way skilled players.

That is the dumbest thing I've read today - to spend that much (considering he's the highest paid defensive player) - to play DE in a 3-4.

People can't adapt to change... omane is no different than actual society.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
That is the dumbest thing I've read today - to spend that much (considering he's the highest paid defensive player) - to play DE in a 3-4.

Richard Seymour made a ton of $ doing it in NE.

Nnamdi asomugha is making way more per season than Haynesworth is to play corner.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Who wouldn't be pleased with bringing in a player that is at "odds" of going to a 3-4 and doesn't like the idea. I was so on board with the idea till I remembered we ran a 3-4 as well.
I would rather trade Marshall and picks for Steve Smith and Julius Peppers.

TheDave
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Who wouldn't be pleased with bringing in a player that is at "odds" of going to a 3-4 and doesn't like the idea. I was so on board with the idea till I remembered we ran a 3-4 as well.

it's not going to happen anyways... but we better do something drastic about the DLine this year

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM

I really don't think Haynesworth has a problem with the 3-4 in theory. He just has a problem with the way certain coaches fit him into whatever scheme is being run. It's understandable. The guy doesn't want to do the Vince Wilfork-thing where he only eats up blockers and occasionally makes plays. He wants to be what he was in Tennessee: a penetrator and disruptor. He could do that at DE in Nolan's 3-4 IMO.

tsiguy96
01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
The funny thing is, 3-4 is not his system, at least not historically. He's always been a 4-3 guy. And the parts that he has in his front 7, Carter, Orakpo, Haynesworth, McIntosh, and Fletcher all fit perfectly in a 4-3.

It just seems foolish to me because he tried so hard in Denver to make the 4-3 work, when it didn't have the juice or the players to do much of anything for us.

BTW, I don't claim to be a football expert. I'm just a couch QB like everybody else.

hes doing exactly waht every coach including mcdaniels does when they go to a new team. except you feel the need to absolutely cry about everything mcdaniels does and how he wrecked the team, yet you wont give the same response to shanahan who is disassembling a GREAT defense? wow.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I did read the first link and it isn't even sure they are going to a 3-4. Nothing in it says anything about what he actually thinks. It says, maybe, if, and could. As for the second link, it won't work on my phone and that's why I asked if he has actually said anything. The first link is a reporter trying to find controversy. Nothing there came from anything Shanahan, his staff, Albert, or his agent.

You are missing the point, there are a few Shanahan lovers who have said he would go into DC and not upset any of the franchise players. Shanahan would find ways to get the most out them with his guru talent as a head coach. My point is, Mike will go in an trade, cut or release any player that doesn't fit his plans and he will hire or fire any coach that he needs to. McDaniel’s should be able to do the same and if he doesn't get us in the playoffs next year then give him the axe but let the man coach the team.

SureShot
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Now that would be a defensive line!!!!!!!!!!

Dumervil would break off .02k sacks with that line.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
it's not going to happen anyways... but we better do something drastic about the DLine this year

Yeah like trade for Peppers :) I have little doubt that Peppers on the other side of Doom would **** **** up for the other teams.

TheDave
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah like trade for Peppers :) I have little doubt that Peppers on the other side of Doom would **** **** up for the other teams.

At this point I would rather give Ayers a chance to progress... Right now we desperately need players who are willing to take on blockers at the LOS. The passrush won't matter if teams continue running right at us.

During that chefs game I saw our line absolutely get manhandled because players were not taking on blocks.

gyldenlove
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
hes doing exactly waht every coach including mcdaniels does when they go to a new team. except you feel the need to absolutely cry about everything mcdaniels does and how he wrecked the team, yet you wont give the same response to shanahan who is disassembling a GREAT defense? wow.

How many pro bowlers have Shanahan traded so far? let me know when he trades the first one, then we will see about responses.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
There was another link in the article, "A look at Mike Shanahan's zone blocking scheme". Nothing new but a good read........

http://www.examiner.com/x-450-Washington-Redskins-Examiner~y2010m1d9-A-look-at-Mike-Shanahans-zone-blocking-scheme

tsiguy96
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
How many pro bowlers have Shanahan traded so far? let me know when he trades the first one, then we will see about responses.

and how many pro bowlers has mcdaniels traded that he shouldnt have?

yea, try again. but its ok, you guys can cherry pick your arguments to make shanahan seem like god and mcdaniels look stupid, when in reality the fact that shanahan is doing exactly what mcdaniels did when taking over a new team discredits everything you have ever said.

bpc
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Why is it frustrating for YOU? Are you not a Broncos fan? Why does it even matter?

Get the fucc outta here.

It's frustrating from a standpoint of a NFL fan to see head coaching going into places that have people set up to do great things, and then re-arrange it.

Shanahan moving to a 3-4 makes about as much sense Jack McDaniels coming in and screwing up such a quality young offensive unit.

On a side note, you seem to enjoy replying to my posts a lot. Am i under your skin?

Doesn't matter. You're an after thought for most of the people on this board anyways.

bpc
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM

I was going to ask you if you're an idiot, but we already know that question.

Have you not read ANY of this thread? I am questioning Shanahan on this move, just as I did with McDaniels. I think it's a stupid move and I have ever since somebody brought up the fact that they will be moving to this defensive front.

Redskins should stay in a 4-3. Better fit for them and the players they have. Easily.

DBroncos4life
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
At this point I would rather give Ayers a chance to progress... Right now we desperately need players who are willing to take on blockers at the LOS. The passrush won't matter if teams continue running right at us.

During that chefs game I saw our line absolutely get manhandled because players were not taking on blocks.

Ayers can move to another position. If you get two guys that can bring you double digit sacks from the outside then we have a huge advantage. No more holding Doom and making him a non factor. While I think Ayers will be a fine player in the end I just don't see him having the effect of a Peppers.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Have you not read ANY of this thread? I am questioning Shanahan on this move, just as I did with McDaniels. I think it's a stupid move and I have ever since somebody brought up the fact that they will be moving to this defensive front.

Redskins should stay in a 4-3. Better fit for them and the players they have. Easily.

Do you think it's possible Shanahan is scratching his head and thinking "maybe if I had made the switch in Denver, I still might have that job"? ......and Doom might be going to his 3rd pro bowl.......

jhns
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
You are missing the point, there are a few Shanahan lovers who have said he would go into DC and not upset any of the franchise players. Shanahan would find ways to get the most out them with his guru talent as a head coach. My point is, Mike will go in an trade, cut or release any player that doesn't fit his plans and he will hire or fire any coach that he needs to. McDaniel’s should be able to do the same and if he doesn't get us in the playoffs next year then give him the axe but let the man coach the team.

Well, he hasn't pissed off a player. That is my point. This is speculation and goes off of nothing. You are using a fake scenerio to prove your point. That is, unless Albert actually said something in that second link. I don't know how this is proof of anything you are saying.

Anyways, I was one of the people arguing that. Unless you are talking about some other argument, you are twisting it all to hell anyways. I said he would get the most out of his offensive players and that an offensive guru doesn't come in and let the offense, and all of its young players, regress. I'm not sure what that has to do with defense. I also was one that argued he knows how to handle players, unlike this regime. I guarantee you that he doesn't have even 1/1000th of the amount of public drama as we have had since McDaniels came. That includes this fake incident that hasn't happened yet.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, he hasn't pissed off a player. That is my point.

Well, we sure wouldn't want a head coach that might piss off a player..... I
guess we can agree to disagree on this one..........

jhns
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Or we can agree that your thread title and first few sentences are made up lies.

broncocalijohn
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I just hope Haynesworth returns any of Shanny's phone calls. I would hate for a coach to come in and ruffle up the feathers.

rastaman
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM

It was still awfully ballsy of Bowlen to hire an unproven 30 something year olf rookie HC......Lets just say we live in interesting times as Denver Bronco Fans.

Bigdawg26
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I just hope Haynesworth returns any of Shanny's phone calls. I would hate for a coach to come in and ruffle up the feathers.
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/sb/61210/CHEAPSHOT.jpg

Atwater His Ass
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM

Perhaps he's learned from the mistakes he made while in Denver. It's actually a good sign for a skins fan because it implies that he'd also be willing to learn from other mistakes he made as well. Which if true, could make Shanny a very dangerous coach once again.

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Do you think it's possible Shanahan is scratching his head and thinking "maybe if I had made the switch in Denver, I still might have that job"? ......and Doom might be going to his 3rd pro bowl.......

Sure. He probably is. The fact was, Shanahan was always drafting between 16-26 most drafts, and there are not any Mario Williams or Julius Peppers which will fall to those areas of the draft. There are though a lot of tweener types who happen to slide in a draft and become very successful 3-4 players in the late 1st rounds, early 2nd rounds, etc.

That's besides the point though. He doesn't need to worry about that situation because he's got 3 out of the 4 defensive line spots lined up with quality starters that can rush the passer and play solid defense. He's got two LB's in Fletcher and McIntosh which can play very effectively in a 4-3, not so much in a 3-4.

Too much upheavel for Shanahan to take this unit and players and flip flop into another defense IMO. He can do whatever he wants and maybe it eventually works, but I don't think it's a great idea.

rastaman
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Why not? Shanny will piss off players just like McD has pissed off players. Point is which coach will put their egos and stubborness aside and compromise with their star players first!

bpc
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Perhaps he's learned from the mistakes he made while in Denver. It's actually a good sign for a skins fan because it implies that he'd also be willing to learn from other mistakes he made as well. Which if true, could make Shanny a very dangerous coach once again.

Maybe you're right but he has coveted pieces of a 4-3 that he wasn't ever able to land in Denver which makes me think the move is foolish. Haynesworth can play out at the 5 technique and still do some damage... but not as much as he could playing the under technique and sitting on the center's hip right in front of the QB. Carter and Orakpo can easily line up outside and take advantage of Haynesworth collapsing pockets and getting sacks.

London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh still have a role in the 4-3 defense. It's questionable if they do in a 3-4, as the MLB's require more size to take on blocks, hold the point, and then shed those blocks.

jhns
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Why not? Shanny will piss off players just like McD has pissed off players. Point is which coach will put their egos and stubborness aside and compromise with their star players first!

This post wins. It isn't that there won't be pissed off players or players getting in trouble. He had that here. It is that he knows how to handle these situations so that they don't escalate and turn into huge issues. I will bet Pony or anyone else that the Redskins do not have near the drama that the Broncos had. I will also bet that Albert, even if pissed, is still on the team next year.

Pony Boy
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Sorry I forgot the Sarcasm Punctuation after my post .........It's jhns who thinks coaches shouldn't piss off players... No wonder guys like Cower are no longer in the league (Sarcasm Punctuation)

rastaman
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Sorry I forgot the Sarcasm Punctuation after my post .........It's jhns who thinks coaches shouldn't piss off players... No wonder guys like Cower are no longer in the league (Sarcasm Punctuation)

Cower had several pissing contest with Jerry Porter but both of them acted like men and adults and compromised with their differences.

jhns
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM

More like it is jhns who doesn't think some random, trying to create controvery, story is proof of something. It is pretty funny that you are trying to use it as proof of something. Even though you have to twist the arguments completely to even try refuting them. Oh well, this all just shows that even you know you have nothing.

tsiguy96
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
man, you should sign up at skins forum and start all the "hes gonna ruin your franchise!!!" posts like you still do to this day here.

jhns
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Cowher¤

Paladin
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Is this your "not-an-"expert opinon or the couch potato QB opinion? It's hard to tell which you are talking from.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Do you think he's free? LOL

Paladin
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Really? Gosh. I just did npt know that......

Does tha mean that other opinions are as valid as yours?

Even those you insult?

:thumbs:

bpc
01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Everybody except for yours. You haven't posted a worth-while take in ages.

BroncoMan4ever
01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
doesn't the 3-4 defense require that the big bodies up front on the line simply clog lanes and hold up the line allowing the LBs to make plays?

that is what i have always thought it was, and Haynesworth is not that type of player. he wants rush and get behind the line. he wants the recognition of being an elite DT, and being a lineman in the 3-4 does not usually garner much recognition.