PDA

View Full Version : Ten costliest dropped passes in Super Bowls

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Ten costliest dropped passes in Super Bowls

Posted Jan. 13, 2010 @ 9:55 a.m.
By Bob McGinn

Second in a series of 10 Super Bowl top-10 lists excerpted from "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" by Bob McGinn.

1. Jackie Smith, TE, Cowboys, XIII: The veteran TE, summoned from retirement by the Cowboys in September, tried to body-catch an endzone pass on third and 3 from the 10 late in the third quarter. The wet turf gave way as Smith reached for the ball, which was thrown a bit prematurely by Roger Staubach. The pass bounced off Smith's hands incomplete. If caught, it would have tied the score at 21. The Cowboys went on to lose, 35-31.

2. Antonio Freeman, WR, Packers, XXXII: The clock was down to 42 seconds and the Packers trailed, 31-24, when Brett Favre fired a bullet pass to Freeman, who had a step on CB Darrien Gordon at the Denver 15. It was the costliest drop of Freeman's eight seasons in Green Bay. The Packers had time for two more incompletions before their hopes of repeating were extinguished.

3. Preston Dennard, WR, Rams, XIV: The underdog Rams gave the Steelers everything they could handle until the fourth quarter. They had a chance to take a 17-10 lead from the Pittsburgh 13 in the final minute of the first half. On first down, Dennard had room to make a tough catch in the very back of the endzone, but Vince Ferragamo's pass skipped off his hands. Frank Corral had to kick a field goal.

4. John Mackey, TE, Colts, III: The game was scoreless before the Jets broke through six minutes into the second quarter. Late in the first quarter, Earl Morrall had Mackey open on a first-down pass from the Colts 42, but the Hall of Fame tight end dropped it. Coach Don Shula said it very well might have been a touchdown.

5. Don Beebe, WR, Bills, XXVI: Although Jim Kelly had one of the poorest games of his career, his numbers would have looked much better if Beebe had come up with a pass at the goal line in the final minute of the first half. It should have been a 20-yard touchdown.

6. Charlie Garner, RB, Raiders, XXXVII: The Bucs had just scored midway through the second quarter to take a 13-3 lead. On the Raiders' first play of a new possession from their 29, the Bucs blew a coverage, leaving the entire left side of the field open. Garner checked down in the area about 7 yards downfield and, with his speed, probably would have gained at least 50 only he dropped the pass.

7. Patrick Johnson, WR, Ravens, XXXV: On the Ravens' second possession in a scoreless game, Johnson ran by CB Jason Sehorn deep along the right sideline. Trent Dilfer threw a beautiful, long pass that hit Johnson in stride in the endzone for what should have been a 46-yard touchdown. Instead, he dropped it and the Ravens had to punt.

8. Mark Seay, WR, Chargers, XXIX: The Chargers were reeling, down 28-7 late in the first half, but then they moved 60 yards to the 49ers' 13-yard line. On second down, Seay gained a step on FS Merton Hanks in the left corner of the endzone. Not an easy catch, by any means, but he got both hands on the ball before it fell incomplete. It was San Diego's last chance to make a game of it.

9. Charley Taylor, WR, Redskins, VII: Down 14 at halftime, the Redskins opened the second half with a 53-yard drive to reach the Miami 17. On second down, Taylor was free on a sideline pattern between CB Lloyd Mumphord and FS Jake Scott. As Billy Kilmer's pass approached, Taylor stumbled on loose turf and dropped the ball at the 3-yard line.

10. Dan Reeves, RB, Cowboys, V: The score was tied at 13 and only a minute remained. Facing second and 35 from their own 27, coach Tom Landry decided to go for broke. Craig Morton sprinted right, stopped, and tossed a high floater back inside to Reeves. The veteran running back leaped and barely managed to get both hands on the ball, but couldn't pull it in. Linebacker Mike Curtis cradled the tipped pass for the interception that set up Jim O'Brien's game-winning field goal.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/13/ten-costliest-dropped-passes-in-super-bowls

watermock
01-14-2010, 05:02 AM
I talked to Butch Johnson in line at a Home Depot checkout. After some chit chat I asked if he really caught that pass that broke the Broncos back in 12.

He giggled and just smiled.

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I talked to Butch Johnson in line at a Home Depot checkout. After some chit chat I asked if he really caught that pass that broke the Broncos back in 12.

He giggled and just smiled.

Nice.

I guess we know the answer to that question...:thumbs:

broncosteven
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Reeve's and Mackie should be in top 4.

Bronco LB52
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
"Bless his heart, he's got to be the sickest man in America!" - Verne Lundquist

BroncoLifer
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
If Tony Boddie didn't drop John Elway's shovel pass, he had a 50/50 chance of scoring (Reeves said he would've scored) and the Broncos would have been up 17-0.

In that case, maybe Washington feels the heat and doesn't erupt for about 8,000 yards in the 2nd quarter. I can dream, damnit.

ghwk
01-14-2010, 02:02 PM
If Tony Boddie didn't drop John Elway's shovel pass, he had a 50/50 chance of scoring (Reeves said he would've scored) and the Broncos would have been up 17-0.

In that case, maybe Washington feels the heat and doesn't erupt for about 8,000 yards in the 2nd quarter. I can dream, damnit.

Very painful memory that game. I wish you hadn't brought it up. And I think it was 10K yards in the 2nd qtr. Was that the game that Tony Lilly just got smoked by everyone from everywhere?

BroncoLifer
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Very painful memory that game. I wish you hadn't brought it up. And I think it was 10K yards in the 2nd qtr. Was that the game that Tony Lilly just got smoked by everyone from everywhere?

Yes, but aren't you describing every Tony Lilly game?

bronco militia
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
no vote for Clarence Kay in Super Bowl XX!?

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

How about the Doug Williams effing fumble.

BroncoLifer
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
How about the Doug Williams effing fumble.

Unfortunately, I have a worse fumble memory than that.

For me, the bitterest, most disappointing loss in Bronco history wasn't Jacksonville in '96...not even close. No, it was SB XII against Dallas.

That was the most magical team and magical year I ever expect to see. To those too young or not yet born in '77.....well, there's just no way to adequately describe what that team did for Colorado or what it like for the fans. It will have to suffice for me to say that it was the most exciting time to be a Bronco fan you can possibly imagine...times 10. I'm sure a lot of oldtimers on here will back me up on that.

Anyway, it's the Super Bowl, 0-0 in the first quarter. Bucky Dilts punts and the Dallas returner muffs it on the one yard line. Randy Poltl (backup DB) dives on the ball and it's going to be first and goal Denver at the one. It's just what we need to get rolling and just the kind of opportunistic play the team has made all year. Then turn the game over to that awesome D.

Except the ball somehow squirts out from underneath Poltl and Dallas gets it back. They have to punt, but then Morton throws the 1st of what will turn into 7 first half turnovers and you could feel the air coming out of the baloon.

A missed fumble recovery isn't the same as a dropped pass, but that one is in the same category as any of the 10 listed in the OP. I believed then and still believe that if Poltl comes up with that muff the Broncos win the game and the greatest season in Bronco history is completed.

broncosteven
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM

For me, the bitterest, most disappointing loss in Bronco history wasn't Jacksonville in '96...not even close. No, it was SB XII against Dallas.

That was the most magical team and magical year I ever expect to see. To those too young or not yet born in '77.....well, there's just no way to adequately describe what that team did for Colorado or what it like for the fans. It will have to suffice for me to say that it was the most exciting time to be a Bronco fan you can possibly imagine...times 10. I'm sure a lot of oldtimers on here will back me up on that.

Anyway, it's the Super Bowl, 0-0 in the first quarter. Bucky Dilts punts and the Dallas returner muffs it on the one yard line. Randy Poltl (backup DB) dives on the ball and it's going to be first and goal Denver at the one. It's just what we need to get rolling and just the kind of opportunistic play the team has made all year. Then turn the game over to that awesome D.

Except the ball somehow squirts out from underneath Poltl and Dallas gets it back. They have to punt, but then Morton throws the 1st of what will turn into 7 first half turnovers and you could feel the air coming out of the baloon.

A missed fumble recovery isn't the same as a dropped pass, but that one is in the same category as any of the 10 listed in the OP. I believed then and still believe that if Poltl comes up with that muff the Broncos win the game and the greatest season in Bronco history is completed.

I ended up with a Migraine after that SB.

But I was afraid that Henderson and Jones would feast on Morton because my best friend was a Cowboy fan and told me all year about how great Martin, Henderson, Jones, White, were all freaking year. I had to throw him passes over the shoulder so he could catch them like Pearson and Richards did.

If Morton wasn't black and blue maybe he has a chance but that game was over once Morton hurt his thigh.

I think the saftey by LT in the Gints SB along with the missed FG and the 2nd quarter of the of the Washington games hurt worse than any of the sloppy plays in SB XXII

dsmoot
01-14-2010, 08:18 PM

I absolutely agree that 77 exceeds either SB winning year by far. Denver was a great place to be a Bronco fan that year. It was truely magical. However, I STRONGLY disagree that Denver had much of a chance. Bronco D vs Cowboy O yes, we matched up. However, Denver had no answer for Randy White or Harvey Martin. Those turnovers happened for a reason - we were physically overmatched on the OL. Staubach took advantage of the turnovers and the defense was on the field too long.

BroncoLifer
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I absolutely agree that 77 exceeds either SB winning year by far. Denver was a great place to be a Bronco fan that year. It was truely magical. However, I STRONGLY disagree that Denver had much of a chance. Bronco D vs Cowboy O yes, we matched up. However, Denver had no answer for Randy White or Harvey Martin. Those turnovers happened for a reason - we were physically overmatched on the OL. Staubach took advantage of the turnovers and the defense was on the field too long.

Yes, there was a big overmatch on the OL. The Broncos were underdogs going into the game for good reason.

So how did those same overmatched guys manage to be effective against the Steel Curtain in the 1st round and again against Oakland in the AFCCG? I think it's because they believed and that belief allowed them to play over their heads against superior opponents. I think after Poltl missed the muff and Morton threw the pick the doubts set in and the whole offense deflated.

bronco militia
01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
2. Antonio Freeman, WR, Packers, XXXII: The clock was down to 42 seconds and the Packers trailed, 31-24, when Brett Favre fired a bullet pass to Freeman, who had a step on CB Darrien Gordon at the Denver 15. It was the costliest drop of Freeman's eight seasons in Green Bay. The Packers had time for two more incompletions before their hopes of repeating were extinguished.

what? does anyone remember this play? #2 all time?

whot writes this crap

Jekyll15Hyde
01-14-2010, 11:01 PM

what? does anyone remember this play? #2 all time?

whot writes this crap

I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately, I have the game in MPEG so I just took a peak. So I found said play at said time... (this it the very play before Atwater destroys Hillard)

It was a 17 yard crossing pattern to Freeman. To me it looked Mobley was covering underneath and he was beaten. Gordon actually breaks up the pass by contacting Freeman from behind and yanking on his back shoulder and slightly spinning him around as the ball arrives (no PI). And even if Freeman breaks free, Braxton looks to be in position to make the tackle probably by the 7-10yd line. But he nearly certainly doesn't score and there is probably 30 sec left and GB would likely have been forced to use their last timeout.

So lets go ahead and call this article COMPLETE BS. Dude must be a Packer fan.

Clockwork Orange
01-14-2010, 11:13 PM
7. Patrick Johnson, WR, Ravens, XXXV: On the Ravens' second possession in a scoreless game, Johnson ran by CB Jason Sehorn deep along the right sideline. Trent Dilfer threw a beautiful, long pass that hit Johnson in stride in the endzone for what should have been a 46-yard touchdown. Instead, he dropped it and the Ravens had to punt.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Baltimore completely dominate this game 34-7, with the Giants only TD coming on special teams? How exactly was this dropped pass "costly?"