PDA

View Full Version : OT:Help with buying a new TV.

24champ
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm looking at something that would be around 32inches-40 inches. Not sure about Plasma or LCD...but leaning towards LCD.

I've asked around, and some people seem skeptical about buying a TV at Wal-Mart because their customer service sucks . Best Buy always seems overpriced, and I don't trust the geek squad jagoffs.

So that being said, what do you guys/gals recommend?

Rigs11
01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Whats your price range? at 37-40 inches go with a 720p and save yourself some money. no need for 1080p until you hit 50 inches.LG makes a great panel.go to best buy and they will price match walmart then get an extended warranty.

OBF1
01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Costco or Wallmart/Sams club

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I've got a 40' Samsung 1080p in the living room and a 32' Samsung 720p in the bedroom....I really like the depth of color in the Samsung's.

I picked up the 32' Samsung at Walmart for just a little over $400.

watermock
01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Go 1080 42" w/ built in tuner. 240 gz.

PaintballCLE
01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Go with a samsung LCD for sure.........the series 6 ones are the best.....better than the new 7's. If your going to be using it with a ps3 or bluray get the 1080, if its just gonna be for tv the 720 will be fine since almost nothing is broadcast in true 1080P

but seriously get the series 6 samsung, go to sams they always have them for a good price and offer a year worry free guarantee for free.

watermock
01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
wrong.

24champ
01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Good advice guys, right now I am leaning towards the Samsung 40 inch LCD tv.

I've read on the Yahoo! Answers site, that Samsung is a junk brand but only one person responded to the question of LCD tvs. So that person could be FOS.

watermock
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
everytjing will be in 1080 in 1 year.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Go with a samsung LCD for sure.........the series 6 ones are the best.....better than the new 7's. If your going to be using it with a ps3 or bluray get the 1080, if its just gonna be for tv the 720 will be fine since almost nothing is broadcast in true 1080P

but seriously get the series 6 samsung, go to sams they always have them for a good price and offer a year worry free guarantee for free.

Yep....I have a Samsung Series 6 Touch of Color 40' 1080p 120Hz and it kicks ass.

SouthStndJunkie
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM

I've read on the Yahoo! Answers site, that Samsung is a junk brand but only one person responded to the question of LCD tvs. So that person could be FOS.

Samsung is generally known as one of the best producers of LCD tvs.

PaintballCLE
01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Yep....I have a Samsung Series 6 Touch of Color 40' 1080p 120Hz and it kicks ass.

yup i have the 32 and the 46 of the same........... best ones on the market

BroncoBuff
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM
You probably don't want plasma ... they have reflective front panels. So if there's any light, or even a window in your room, it will reflect.

Make sure it's 1080 (1080p or 1080i, doesn't really matter which), don't be taken in by 240hz refresh rate, it's not worth the extra money.

Me and Dortoh have 46" Samsung LCDs ... we love 'em :twokisses

Don Flamenco
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Is it true that plasma's are better for watching sports though?

watermock
01-14-2010, 12:55 AM
I got an olivia 2 years ago, no problem, but had to get cable.

Samsumg or visio 42 is big as you need.

42" is nice.

robbieopperude
01-14-2010, 01:14 AM
I have a 40 inch Samsung and dropped about 1800 on it over a year ago. I would recommend scowering Craigs List as I see TVs like that for 400 or 500 now that are gently used. If you want brand spanking new I would go Samsung all the way.

I'm looking at something that would be around 32inches-40 inches. Not sure about Plasma or LCD...but leaning towards LCD.

I've asked around, and some people seem skeptical about buying a TV at Wal-Mart because their customer service sucks . Best Buy always seems overpriced, and I don't trust the geek squad jagoffs.

BroncosinDC
01-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Is it true that plasma's are better for watching sports though?

My brother used to peddle TV's at Circuit City, LCD blurs more in action than Plasma. Contrast ratio is a biggie. Difference between whitest white and blackest black.

I have an older 1080P, but the picture quality on my new 720P is way better. He always thought 720P was about the same as 1080i.

I have had good luck in buying TV's for various resturants I've worked in when I can find them with "monitors" the lack of a tuner saved some bucks and is a useless feature as far as my uses have been concerened. If you can find one I'd go that route...who uses the built in tuner on a HDTV anyways? Comcast, Directv, DVD, Blue Ray, PS3, whatever don't have a need for one.

I bought a 52" 720P plasma from Best Buy a few months ago, it's an Insignia but the picture quality is pretty damn good...I don't see much if any difference from any more expensive TV I've seen. An LED TV and something brodcast in 1080P may be technically better, but not much to my eye. Contrast ratio is a biggie, other than that plasma is better for action. I couldn't justify another grand for something I couldn't tell much of a difference in.

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM
This is what I just got. It's very nice. Go with Amazon. Free shipping, no taxes. Plasma is better than LCD. LCDs look plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G10-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UAEWUS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263457852&sr=8-8

Taco John
01-14-2010, 01:46 AM
I hear plasmas burn in easier. Any truth to that?

Doggcow
01-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I got an olivia 2 years ago, no problem, but had to get cable.

Samsumg or visio 42 is big as you need.

42" is nice.

Negative. I have a 56'' and I could definitely go bigger.

Size matters a lot especially when rocking the Call of Duty, Sniping heads is a lot easier when they're 4 inches wide.

Doggcow
01-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Realistically you're probably going to buy a new tv either way by the time they burn out.

Plasma's can burn in if left on for like a day or two straight on static, many of them have built in features to prevent that though.

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Not any more. I suppose if you paused a game and left it there for a day you might have issues, but in normal use, no longer a problem.

atomicbloke
01-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Its the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

Screw the TV.

Instead spend your money on a good projector. Rig up a satellite tuner in your computer. Project high resolution images on a large white wall in your house. Hook up 7.1 config speakers around the room, and enjoy the ultimate in home entertainment. If you don't have a white wall, just get a large white screen to cover your wall.

DBruleU
01-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Not any more. I suppose if you paused a game and left it there for a day you might have issues, but in normal use, no longer a problem.

I've never had any problems with my Panasonic Plasma. I've had some image retention, but no burn in. Once I change the channel, or after playing a video game any static image will go away pretty fast.

watermock
01-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Negative. I have a 56'' and I could definitely go bigger.

Size matters a lot especially when rocking the Call of Duty, Sniping heads is a lot easier when they're 4 inches wide.

QTT???>

Let's go 60. 72, WTF??

Dendave
01-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Samsung is the best maker of LCD TVs out there...I just went through this 2 months ago I had a 42" Vizio 1080i and 54" rear projection, non HD...was replacing the rear projection and did the research for about a month...everyone I talked to from Best Buy to Sears all recommended a Samsung...I ended up with a 52" 1080P Samsung and it puts the Vizio to shame, not even in the same class, if I could replace the Vizio I would.

Lev Vyvanse
01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
You probably don't want plasma ... they have reflective front panels. So if there's any light, or even a window in your room, it will reflect.

Make sure it's 1080 (1080p or 1080i, doesn't really matter which), don't be taken in by 240hz refresh rate, it's not worth the extra money.

Me and Dortoh have 46" Samsung LCDs ... we love 'em :twokisses

This is the only issue with plasma tvs have anymore. They are better tvs overall but can be unwatchable during the day in the wrong room. If you have a window behind you don't get a plasma.

cousinal11
01-14-2010, 06:28 AM
BUY THE WARRANTY!

I repeat: BUY THE WARRANTY!

I'm in the process of getting my 2nd plasma in 5 years fixed right now.

The first one I got in 05' was a Zenith (impulse buy) that messed up within a couple years. They tried and tried to fix it, but eventually replaced it.

The replacement was a 42'' Samsung Plasma that was great until the day before Xmas, when all of the sudden it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes. They're either replacing the panel or replacing the TV all together, waiting on Best Buy to make that decision.

Moral of the story is that like the price of TV's have gone down, so have the warranties and in my case, they pay for themselves.

I'm thinking Samsung LCD for my next one.

Good luck!

dbfan21
01-14-2010, 06:57 AM
I totally agree about the warranty. It's money well invested. I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia LCD, 1080p, 60HZ. The picture is out of this world! I got it at Wal-Mart for $1140, plus the 2-year extended warranty for $70, so now I am covered for 3 years.

If you are looking for a smaller screen, I imagine the 720p will look good too. I think the size of the room could also be a determining factor (small TV, large room or small TV, small room).

Good luck!!

spdirty
01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5006364&CatId=3650

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5006284&CatId=3649

dont think you will get much better prices than that.

SleepingTiger
01-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I would go plasma all the way. better contrast, refresh rate and cheaper when you go anything bigger than 42".

ak1971
01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Buy at Costco..if you have an American Express, you also get an automatic 2yr extended warranty..they also take anything back if it messes up.

I bought a couple big TVs there over the past couple years and am very happy with the price and quality. (Sony and Sharp)

ScottXray
01-14-2010, 10:07 AM
My new Panny Plasma (58" v10) is in a very bright room, but I have no problem with reflections. The screen is not a problem as it has some
anti reflective property that works very well. Burn in is also no longer a
problem.

At 37-42" there are a ton of LCD sets, as well as plasma. Picture quality
of both are acceptable, but generally plasmas will be better as they have better blacks. In a bright room LCD may have a slight advantage, depending on the brand and model.

If price is a criteria LCD will probably be cheaper (just cause there are so many available).

Get what you like , but mail order is not a good option unless you are absolutely sure about the set being the one for you. Store purchases are generally returnable/exchangeable for a different set for minimum 30 days, but be sure you have that in writing before leaving the store with one.

Also look for the number and type of inputs If you have a lot of stuff to hook up. If you have a blue ray (playstation), Satellite or cable box (or both), and any other Newer equipment you will need 2-3 HDMI inputs to use them or have to purchase some kind of HDMI switch in addition to the tv in order to use them at the highest resolution if the tv doesn't have enough inputs.

worm
01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
LCD are getting better...but they still suck when you are seated off axis compared to a plasma. or CRT.

Los Broncos
01-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Was thinking the same thing, my TV is 5 years old with no HDMI.

I connect everything component or DVI.

The component imputs are jacked, I love the TV but time to move on.

I think I'll go with the Sony Bravia 32-40 LCD full HD or 720P.

120HZ is the best refresh right?

24champ
01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5006364&CatId=3650

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5006284&CatId=3649

dont think you will get much better prices than that.

Those are good prices. Was wondering if I printed that out and went to best buy, would they accept it? Since it is an online store and they say they would beat any price.

PaintballCLE
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Was thinking the same thing, my TV is 5 years old with no HDMI.

I connect everything component or DVI.

The component imputs are jacked, I love the TV but time to move on.

I think I'll go with the Sony Bravia 32-40 LCD full HD or 720P.

120HZ is the best refresh right?

It is the best refresh rate? yes.......... are there higher ones now... yes

Lcd's go up to 240HZ, plasmas ive seen as high as 600.........problem is if you watch movies on something that high it gets a pit choppy and unrealistic especially if the movie was shot on Film and not in digital.

Los Broncos
01-14-2010, 10:32 AM
It is the best refresh rate? yes.......... are there higher ones now... yes

Lcd's go up to 240HZ, plasmas ive seen as high as 600.........problem is if you watch movies on something that high it gets a pit choppy and unrealistic especially if the movie was shot on Film and not in digital.

Ahh got it, my TV is 720P with a 60HZ, low of the low.

I might go 1080P with the 40 inch Sony.

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Check out the Panasonic Viera line before you make your final decision. You get a lot of bang for the buck with their system.

Los Broncos
01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Check out the Panasonic Viera line before you make your final decision. You get a lot of bang for the buck with their system.

What do you think of the new LG line? looks pretty good for the price.

Archer81
01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a 42 inch 1080p Vizio Eco in the living room, and a 32 inch 720p Sharp in my bedroom. Both are excellent, but the Vizio has better color and depth. We got it over Christmas for $680 at Walmart. Not too bad. 20W speakers. The next step is a sound system for the living room.

:Broncos:

Rohirrim
01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
What do you think of the new LG line? looks pretty good for the price.

I decided on the Panasonic Viera. It has a lot of online features I wanted, plus our IPODs plug into their Blu-ray player. Now I can watch you tube, shows I buy on I-tunes, (no more recording stuff), listen to my mp3s on the 7.1 surround sound, etc.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
You're doing yourself a serious disservice if you have about $1,000 to spend and you don't consider one of these bad boys:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=24765&itmname=Optoma+HD20

http://articles.projectorpeople.com/home-theater-tech-news/rich-reviews-new-optoma-hd20-999-1080p-hd-projector/

Los Broncos
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I decided on the Panasonic Viera. It has a lot of online features I wanted, plus our IPODs plug into their Blu-ray player. Now I can watch you tube, shows I buy on I-tunes, (no more recording stuff), listen to my mp3s on the 7.1 surround sound, etc.

Thanks, I have done a lot of research but I will check this TV before buying.

JJG
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
we have a 37" Vizio and are very pleased with it. It has a good picture and was a great bang for your buck compared to other sets. I knew at the time it wasn't the " latest and greatest" thing on the market and Im ok with that. The price difference wasn't equal to the slightly better viewing quality to me.

Los Broncos
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
we have a 37" Vizio and are very pleased with it. It has a good picture and was a great bang for your buck compared to other sets. I knew at the time it wasn't the " latest and greatest" thing on the market and Im ok with that. The price difference wasn't equal to the slightly better viewing quality to me.

How much did you pay?

DenverBroncosJM
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
I have two Samsung 6 series they are great tvs. I have a 52 and 32 I also have a 32 olevia there is no comparision. The samsungs are a much better tv.

I would also check places like Frys.com they sometimes have really good prices on TV's. I just took the ad in to Best Buy they price matched it and I got three years no interest.

JJG
01-14-2010, 11:22 AM
How much did you pay?

It was right around $800 back about 2 years ago. I know prices have come down considerably since then, but most 37" LCD's were $1000 and up

Quoydogs
01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Its the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

Screw the TV.

Instead spend your money on a good projector. Rig up a satellite tuner in your computer. Project high resolution images on a large white wall in your house. Hook up 7.1 config speakers around the room, and enjoy the ultimate in home entertainment. If you don't have a white wall, just get a large white screen to cover your wall.

What he said. Also don't rule out DLP tv's They frickin' rock. Best color and picture. There are two problems with the DLP one they are not as small as the LCD or Plaz but they don't have frame rate problems if you play video games and 2 they do tent to blow out there light bulbs which are about 149 dollars but if you can live with that I would go for the DLP.

Ironlung
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Save yourself some money by finding the brand and model you like, then buy it from Amazon.com

24champ
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Amazon seems to have a lot of refurbished LCDs, not sure I want those...

24champ
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
What he said. Also don't rule out DLP tv's They frickin' rock. Best color and picture. There are two problems with the DLP one they are not as small as the LCD or Plaz but they don't have frame rate problems if you play video games and 2 they do tent to blow out there light bulbs which are about 149 dollars but if you can live with that I would go for the DLP.

Sounds like a good idea for someone with a big house. I just live in a loft, and looking to do some upgrades to my mancave.:approve:

Drek
01-15-2010, 05:32 AM

Newer quality plasmas (primarily Pioneer if you can still find one, but also Panasonic) don't glare/reflect any worse than an LCD. But yes, this can be bad on lower end sets.

LCDs don't burn in, they get stuck pixels which has basically no direct correlation to usage. Plasmas get image retention (fades over time) and burn in (never goes away). Stuck pixels are still an issue, especially with lower end brands. Burn in is almost entirely a thing of the past as long as you take care of your set, and image retention can be eliminated as well with proper breaking in of the set.

A plasma is most sensitive to burn in and image retention within its first 200 hours. A break in DVD is a great addition to any plasma purchase. You should also avoid leaving anything with static images on it for more than a few hours straight (video games are the primary culprit here). When I first got my Kuro I would shut it off once an hour while gaming, ran a break in pattern daily, and set it on the IR scrubber (scanning white bar on black background, tv feature) every night before bed (it powered down after the scrubber finished). My Kuro has zero IR or burn in now one year after purchase basically no matter what I do.

24Champ:

The TV you buy should depend primarily on what you want to do with it. If you're looking at a 37-40 inch set and you're going to sit the recommended distance from it(2.5X the size, so 100" or 8.3' on a 40" set) you don't begin to notice the advantages of 1080p until your set is 42" or bigger. Since your size target is right on that line and you might sit closer than 8' from it there is a good chance you'd get some real benefit from 1080p, but there might not be a lot of reason to get a lesser brand TV in order to get 1080p, versus a superior brand at 720p.

Plasmas will give you the best image quality overall. The black levels and color quality are far superior to LCD. It also has faster screen refreshes, in that regard it only trails CRTs (better than rear projection/DLP, LCD, and even LED I believe). They do need to be looked after to prevent image burn though.

If you plan to use the TV primarily for video games and/or don't feel like having to baby sit how your TV is used for the first 200 hours of usage or so then you might want to go LCD.

No matter which you buy brand is VERY important. The best brands really do make the best TVs, and the others aren't even particularly close. For LCD go Samsung or Sony. Both are good, Sony's tend to have a few more bells and whistles but you pay for it, and Sammy's image quality is just as good, sometimes better. If you're going Plasma then Panasonic or if you can both afford and find one, Pioneer. Pioneer has stopped making retail sets now, which is a shame because even the best non-Pioneer plasmas are just now getting caught up with what Pioneer was doing two or three years ago.

Narrow your search down to either LCD or Plasma, then compare the sets from quality brands within your price range to get a good idea which one you prefer.

And whatever you do, at least get a home calibration disc to set it up with. Your contrast levels are going to be stupidly high when you take it out of the box. Not only does it hurt picture quality it also takes years off the life of your set.

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 07:20 AM
this thread is a plethora of misinformation ...
I'm not even going to go into it but you really might want to do your own research on this one.

Do your own research cause most of this is wrong , and pick what bets suits your price and don't worry about buying a name brand ... Buy what you want , if it's a Vizio or non pricey brand and still looks fine to you ... Buy it. About anything you get with Hi def signal will be more than fine... I suggest LCD over plasma cause plasma sucks .....BUT DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON THIS ONE ... trust me ...

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
This:

this thread is a plethora of misinformation

followed by this:

I suggest LCD over plasma cause plasma sucks

Made me chuckle. It's the very definition of irony.

There is a reason that not one single true, high end home theater company or installer will carry LCD TVs, but they will most certainly carry plasmas.

Rohirrim
01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
This:

followed by this:

There is a reason that not one single true, high end home theater company or installer will carry LCD TVs, but they will most certainly carry plasmas.

When I read his post I thought, "This dude buried a bunch of money in a crap LCD and now he has to stick up for it." :rofl:

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 09:55 AM
This:

followed by this:

Just stated the facts that he should research this one on his own and pick what best fits him and then threw in a opinion (which i shouldn't have really) that Plasma sucks ... I've owned both and not a fan of plasma. But the main point is he should really dig a little and not listen to us whatsoever ...

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Just stated the facts that he should research this one on his own and pick what best fits him and then threw in a opinion (which i shouldn't have really) that Plasma sucks ... I've owned both and not a fan of plasma. But the main point is he should really dig a little and not listen to us whatsoever ...

I'd rather get input from people online over trusting what I see in the stores. As anyone who has actually researched tvs fairly extensively could tell you, what you see in the stores NEVER approximates what you see when you get that same set in your living room. Everything from the setttings on the tv in the stores to the lighting in the stores vs what you have at home makes it a completely different experience.

I put FAR more emphasis on what people are saying in their personal reviews/comments on cnet, avsforums and the like over what I personally see in stores, and it's served me well.

DrFate
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Definitely go 1080 (preferably 1080p)

LCDs are certainly more popular these days

BigPlayShay
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Another Samsung guy here. I have a 26' and 46', both 1080p LCD. Also, I got them both off Amazon. They were much cheaper their and got free shipping.

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
In my house right now is a 40in sony Bravia Plasma , a 37in vizo Lcd , a 32 in vizo Lcd , a 32 in olivia lcd , and a 30in lcd olivia .... all hooked up to HD direct tv and for my money Lcd is better ... If you hook about any LCD or Plasma to HD you will be happy for the most part .... LCD or Plasma is more a personal pref in my mind ... But I have had to have my sony plasma repaired twice in 2 years and it's used very little compared to never having any problem with any of the 4 lcds and they get very heavy use ... So to me LCD is much better. But he should still pick what best fits his life and pocket book tho.

ps...
Lcd's now have taken over the market from Plasma and the new gen out perform plasma and use less power ... per cnet...

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
ps...
Lcd's now have taken over the market from Plasma and the new gen out perform plasma and use less power ... per cnet...

Not true. cnet still says that the Pioneer Kuro plasma line beats anything and everything else out there of any technology.

TDmvp
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd rather get input from people online over trusting what I see in the stores.

Of course .... But i didn't tell him to get his info from a store ...
There is a lot of forums based around this topic with far more info then the mane and links to stuff that would help.

http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs-38/
http://www.lcd-tv-reviews.com/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=7

both those might be helpful ....

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
If you don't want to lay out big bucks on a sound system, I bought a Vizio sound bar with the wireless subwolfer at Sam's for $250.00. It sounds great........... Great bang for the bucks...... I have a 50" Panasonic Viera 1080 P and love it and on sale with zero interest at Best Buy, why not use their money.......

Ramathorn
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV in the Living room for gaming with a ps3. In the bedroom, I have a 40 sony bravia 1080p. the sony has a brighter, more vibrant picture.

lifeafter elway
01-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Make sure you check out Toshiba. They don't get the attention of Samsung, but they are very nearly as good for quite a bit less bread.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
You absolutely want 1080p. Beware of bargain basement sales on a 720p. Many of those are OLD inventory and/or models.

LCD is generally cheaper but plasma higher end is better in a true home theater environment. Blacker blacks and better motion control. But you cant get plasma below 40".

And I'm not sure why people say plasma cant burn in. It isn't as bad as it used to be but in the first 100hrs, you must be VERY careful. No fixed images in the 1st 100hrs esp little station ID logos in the corner or black bars on 4:3 content. After that 100hrs, it is harder to burn in. Best general resource out there is www.avsforum.com Most popular models will have dedicated threads. And about 1000x more knowledge there than the sales guys at a place like best buy (and apparently many posters here).

All that being said, I picked up Samsung LN32B650 since 32" was the largest reasonable for the bedroom installation. Wanted plasma, but as I said, it doesnt come below 40". Also, the "B" series are the 2009 models. New model years typically come out in the spring. It is really a fantastic model and would recommend it. The only thing it doesn't have is 240hz.

jutang
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Drek's #53 post pretty much has all the general info summed up well.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 01:39 PM
And I'm not sure why people say plasma cant burn in.

Probably because 90% of those made in the past 2 or 3 years don't. They pretty much all have screen savers and anti-burn in technology built in now.

It isn't as bad as it used to be but in the first 100hrs, you must be VERY careful. No fixed images in the 1st 100hrs esp little station ID logos in the corner or black bars on 4:3 content.

Nah. People have become overly cautious with these things. I did next to no break in with my Panny. Popped in 2.35 ratio blu rays from day one, 4:3 content with the bars on the sides, a lot of espn with fixed logos and tickers, etc. and haven't had one instance of burn in or image retention. Same for everyone I know who owns a newer plasma.

Many don't realize it, but the supposed "fixed" station ID logos? They're not truly "fixed". Enough people complained about the burn in that, if you really focus on them, you'll notice that they all now every so slightly change colors and move just a touch from side to side or up and down. We're talking tiny movements and color shifts here. Just enough to "work" the pixels, etc. It's not like it used to be.

Video games, though, all bets are off. I won't mess with those on the plasma.

Archer81
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Probably because 90% of those made in the past 2 or 3 years don't. They pretty much all have screen savers and anti-burn in technology built in now.

Nah. People have become overly cautious with these things. I did next to no break in with my Panny. Popped in 2.35 ratio blu rays from day one, 4:3 content with the bars on the sides, a lot of espn with fixed logos and tickers, etc. and haven't had one instance of burn in or image retention. Same for everyone I know who owns a newer plasma.

Many don't realize it, but the supposed "fixed" station ID logos? They're not truly "fixed". Enough people complained about the burn in that, if you really focus on them, you'll notice that they all now every so slightly change colors and move just a touch from side to side or up and down. We're talking tiny movements and color shifts here. Just enough to "work" the pixels, etc. It's not like it used to be.

Video games, though, all bets are off. I won't mess with those on the plasma.

Videogames on plasmas are still considered a no no. Why take the chance you ruin a $1200 television because you wanted to play Madden 10 and leave it on pause for an hour to go run errands?

TomServo
01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
also keep in mind, on sat. or cable everything from NFL network to HBO HD are broadcast in 720p. only (a few)ppv or vod are broadcast in 1080p.
and no matter what you buy, next year, there will be a better tv with more features for less money.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Videogames on plasmas are still considered a no no. Why take the chance you ruin a $1200 television because you wanted to play Madden 10 and leave it on pause for an hour to go run errands?

I take it you missed my last sentence?

Archer81
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I take it you missed my last sentence?

Nope. Adding to it. If I had a plasma TV, the last thing I would put near it is a videogame system.

DenverBrit
01-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Most have a screen saver.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Most have a screen saver.

doesnt matter if you watch something constantly that has a fixed image like a station logo or black 4:3 bars. Screen savers dont solve that problem.

Again, as I mention, 100hrs or so is the key

Pony Boy
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I remember when I thought putting aluminum foil on my rabbit ears was hi-tech.

Archer81
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I remember when I thought putting aluminum foil on my rabbit ears was hi-tech.

Im young enough that I never actually had to do that...but old enough to remember seeing it at Grandma's house.

Rohirrim
01-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Cnet is always good for reviews. Here's the review on the one I just got: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50g10/4505-6482_7-33497901.html?tag=also

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Make sure you don't buy a TV too big for the room it's in.

You don't want to have to sit at the neighbor's house to see it clearly.

Bronco_Beerslug
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Samsung LCDs and LEDs are far and away the best pictures and values out there IMO.

maher_tyler
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Try Sears...if you don't like that, maybe craigs list??

Drek
01-16-2010, 05:01 AM
In my house right now is a 40in sony Bravia Plasma , a 37in vizo Lcd , a 32 in vizo Lcd , a 32 in olivia lcd , and a 30in lcd olivia .... all hooked up to HD direct tv and for my money Lcd is better ... If you hook about any LCD or Plasma to HD you will be happy for the most part .... LCD or Plasma is more a personal pref in my mind ... But I have had to have my sony plasma repaired twice in 2 years and it's used very little compared to never having any problem with any of the 4 lcds and they get very heavy use ... So to me LCD is much better. But he should still pick what best fits his life and pocket book tho.

ps...
1. Sony's plasma line is the WEGA, the Bravia has been LCD exclusive for quite some time now.

2. Sony's plasma technology sucks. They resisted flat panel for a very long time and now that they've finally joined in they pushed most of their R&D muscle into LCD, where they're strong. They suck at plasmas, much like Samsung.

3. If you don't have an eye that lets you discern between the color saturation and black levels between an LCD and plasma set then you probably shouldn't try giving advice to someone looking for an optimal home theater experience. Hell, my fiance who has NEVER been a videophile was amazed at the superior black levels and color reproduction of the Kuro over even high end Panasonic and Mitsubishi plasmas, let alone an LCD.

Yes, if you can't remember to turn his TV off when leaving for extended periods of time then plasma is not for you. So probably not ideal for homes with young children that you let use the set unsupervised.

I've been gaming on my $5000 plasma from day one. It has never shown even a hint of burn in, IR, or ghosting. It doesn't even have the near imperceptible phosphor trails some lower end plasmas have in fast moving games.

DenverBrit
01-16-2010, 09:25 AM
doesnt matter if you watch something constantly that has a fixed image like a station logo or black 4:3 bars. Screen savers dont solve that problem.

Again, as I mention, 100hrs or so is the key

Interesting. I have two plasma's, Pioneer and Samsung and I treat them both the same way.

Put the dvr on pause often, the screen saver kicks in and burn-in has never been an issue. ???

5) When displaying video games and other content which have static images, use your burn-in protection features like power management settings, full-time picture shift (both vertical and horizontal), and automatic screen-saver functions. Check your Owner's Manual for further information.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

If your DVD player has a screen saver and auto-shutdown feature, turn it on. This helps a great deal saving you from burn-in resulting from paused movies (screen saver) or disk menus (auto-off).

http://www.plasmasaver.com/burnin.html

Cito Pelon
01-16-2010, 09:42 AM

For you, one that can take a hit from a 40-oz can of Old English.

Los Broncos
01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.circuitcity.com/

Circuitcity had some great deals, website is still up.

Or Tigerdirect has some good stuff.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=37&name=TV

BroncoBuff
01-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Samsung LCDs and LEDs are far and away the best pictures and values out there IMO.

I've looked at those LEDs in showrooms ... can't see where they're worth (nearly) double the price.

You can get a good 42" LCD for $700 now.

Boobs McGee
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I recently purchased a samsung LN46B640 (46" ) for $999, BUT, they just upped the prices.

Now, the 40" can be had for that same price, OR, you can go with the 40" 630 series for about 100 bucks less.

I did a LOT of research, and found this to be the best value for me.

it's got the 120 hz processor, plenty of hdmi/usb/aux ports, touch of color, all the bells and whistles.

Great value, INCREDIBLE contrast ratio (80,000 to 1, I never see ANY ghosting in dark scenes, even on standard def broadcasts), deep blacks etc etc....

If you can blow a grand, I'd really recommend going and looking at it.

Couple things. Most tv is broadcast in 60 hz right now, so you're REAllY going to notice the 4ms response time when watching sports...you don't need to go to a 240hz tv, because you're honestly not going to notice a HUGE difference from the 120hz . Where the picture is going to shine the most, is if you've got a blu ray or ps3 hooked up.

For the value, I'd highly recommend it. THE ONLY gripe I have, is that in game mode, there's a tiny bit of lag (while connected through hdmi cables). WHICH BLOWS when you're playing fps games where you need twitchy responses. There's a workaround that's fairly simple, and has all but eliminated the problem, but, something to think about. Of course that can be avoided completely if you connect it via the pc input, but that requires an adapter...anyway. PM me if you want more info.

I love the t.v. though, everyone comments about how incredible the picture is. Sports are incredible with the refresh rate.

Boobs McGee
01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
p.s. I bought at Best Buy, they have some kind of exclusive deal with samsung for that particular t.v. line

Los Broncos
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
I was just at this local computer store today.

They have some great deals on TV's.

Sony Bravia 42 1080P $599.00.

And a Samsung for the same price, once the tax return comes in I'll hook it up.

TDmvp
01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
1. Sony's plasma line is the WEGA, the Bravia has been LCD exclusive for quite some time now.

2. Sony's plasma technology sucks. They resisted flat panel for a very long time and now that they've finally joined in they pushed most of their R&D muscle into LCD, where they're strong. They suck at plasmas, much like Samsung.

YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT ... I misspoke . My speakers are the Bravia sound bar HT CT100 and the TV is a Wega .... Brain Fart ...Just got the speakers for Xmas and the bravia was in the brain.

LOVING THOSE SPEAKERS BTW ...
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2008/158/p158HTCT100-F.jpeg

Hulamau
01-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Samsung LCD and LEDs in particular are not junk. They are absolutely among the best.

Hulamau
01-16-2010, 11:41 PM
If you've got the jack and a little patience hold out for this .... Samsung's awesome new 9000 LED

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/news/Best-TV-of-2010-CES-Samsung-C9000-LED-TV/283354.html

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=539827&publicationSubCategoryId=71

MrPeepers
01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
For the money, I go plasma (cheap and energy hogs). Brand's are purely preferential, everyone has their strengths. I for one don't like samsung, but do like LG.

If all you cared about was picture quality --

Projector
Plasma
LED
LCD

Better skin tones, faster refresh rates. Get a bad rap from misinformed people. Will only last 7 years or so.

Everything has its pro's and con's, is no good or bad.

Sassy
01-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I have a 42 inch plasma (no where near CHEAP) with dtv...LOVE IT...and have had no problems with it. I bought it last fall. It's a Pioneer Elite and my picture is excellent.

and for the record...I DID NOT BUY IT AT WALMART! LOL!
I bought it from an actual LOCAL tv place...and they delivered and setup for free.

As for Samsung, both cellphones I have owned have been samsung...I love them...and have never had a problem with them either.

Sassy
01-17-2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/reviews/2007/12/pioneer_elite_pro-950hd_42_elite_kuro_plasma_tv.php

24champ
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I bought the Sony Bravia 40" LCD, HDMI cables, and a nice tv stand for a little over $600 at Sears. I like Sears because their customer service is pretty good.

I could have spent a little more, but I am really thinking about going to London for the Broncos game. So gotta save up.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. It sure was nice to watch the Chokers lose to the Jets on HD. 8')

Gort
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
everytjing will be in 1080 in 1 year.

there's a difference between 1080i and 1080p. unless you have a Blueray player, you're not going to be using 1080p for anything. but you'll pay a premium to have it. right now, none of the networks have the investment in place to broadcast in 1080p, nor do they plan on doing so in the near future. a 1080i set is perfectly fine and cheaper.

Gort
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
This is the only issue with plasma tvs have anymore. They are better tvs overall but can be unwatchable during the day in the wrong room. If you have a window behind you don't get a plasma.

plasmas hum at high elevations and also they are being outlawed in nanny states like California, where the bureaucrats have decided that they consume too much energy.

Rigs11
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT ... I misspoke . My speakers are the Bravia sound bar HT CT100 and the TV is a Wega .... Brain Fart ...Just got the speakers for Xmas and the bravia was in the brain.

I have this soundbar as well.amazing sound for the price!

Los Broncos
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I found out I get a huge discount on Sharp TV's through my employer.

I think I'm going with that, same TV at Bestbuy I get for $640.00 and free shipping.

Thats about 400 dollars off.

Drek
01-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Funny thing about your sub. Sony's subs used to suck and as a result could be scrounged up cheap. But in the late 90's/early 2000's most of them could go from sounding like a weak little POS into a high quality base producer if you just opened up a side panel and lined it with cotton batting.

$100 or so total and you could have a sub that sounded nearly as good as the best Bose or Klipsch had to offer.

Then Sony realized that was all they needed, fixed it internally, and they now sell like the premium brand Sony is in pretty much all other consumer electronics spaces.

I bought the Sony Bravia 40" LCD, HDMI cables, and a nice tv stand for a little over $600 at Sears. I like Sears because their customer service is pretty good.

I could have spent a little more, but I am really thinking about going to London for the Broncos game. So gotta save up.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. It sure was nice to watch the Chokers lose to the Jets on HD. 8')

Good choice, Sony Bravias are among the best LCD sets year after year. Good features, excellent picture quality. Now start pairing it with HD sources.

I can't recommend a PS3 strongly enough if you're even a casual gamer. Blu-Rays offer as big a leap in picture quality over DVD as DVD did over VHS. Its excellent. You can also use a PS3 as a multimedia player hooked into a home network, where it can stream movies, movies, tv shows, etc. off a local networked drive or PC.

Combine that with Netflix and you have ample HD sources to keep your TV wowing you for months or years to come. I have a 1 DVD at a time sub to Netflix with the extra fee for Blu-Rays. Get pretty much any new release in Blu-Ray and you can get a disc to stream Netflix through the PS3 to your TV, in HD. In a few months it'll be an installable with no need for a disc too. You can do this with a 360 (and many other media streaming features) as well, but unfortunately there is no blu-ray option for 360 at this time and on 360 you need to be an XBL gold member to use Netflix.

TDmvp
01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Funny thing about your sub. Sony's subs used to suck and as a result could be scrounged up cheap. But in the late 90's/early 2000's most of them could go from sounding like a weak little POS into a high quality base producer if you just opened up a side panel and lined it with cotton batting.

$100 or so total and you could have a sub that sounded nearly as good as the best Bose or Klipsch had to offer.

Then Sony realized that was all they needed, fixed it internally, and they now sell like the premium brand Sony is in pretty much all other consumer electronics spaces.

I just bought them to boost the low end of my TV ...didn't really care if they are as good as Bose because in same room I have 2 Sp3s and a set of EV ref monitors ...

http://www.eventsconnection.com/SP3.jpg

The peaveys are just to much for normal everyday use as big as these are...
But you really want a nice system just buy mid to small size PA speakers and be done with it. Kevlar voice coils and replaceable cones for the win...

ColoNavy
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Beware of Plasma if you live above 7,000 ft altitude. Plasma can generate a high pitch humming sound at that altitude. LCD is the way of the future with LED background. More expensive but they use less electricity.

Los Broncos
01-25-2010, 10:00 PM
So I went this last week to visit my family in Northern California.

I forgot my uncle is TV repair guy and has been all his life.

He worked for Sharp many years ago.

So I tell him I am thinking about buying a new set.

He tells me to go with Sharp, best TV out there, no doubt about it.

End of discussion he said to me.

He is pretty much the only real TV repair guy in Nevada county.

I trust his opinion.