PDA

View Full Version : PC Gaming Help

ZONA
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm usually very good at solving problems with computers but this one has em stumped and I could use some help.

I've been experiencing some very choppy and sluggish play on one of my internet FPS games. I only play one game online so I have no other games to test right now to compare.

So I run FRAPS to make sure my frame rates are good and they are, getting around 45FPS which is solid. Also, my PING has been very good, mid 30's usually. I've done speedtests online and getting 12Megabits per sec download and 4.5 upload. Very good.

So those are the two normal suspects to check if you have choppy game play and both of mine are fine. Not sure where else to look. I thought it could be the hardrive so I went and bought a new Seagate 1TB Barracuda, reinstalled XP and motherboard drivers, Nvidia drivers. Everything else on the PC is working great. I did a 3Dmark bench test and it sailed through that. My system is working great.

But then I install the game again and even on normal setting it's choppy. The same settings it has been on for the past 2 years and it's always been great.

What could it be? What else causes a game to be choppy even though the FPS and PING are great?

Thanks.

elsid13
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Have you checked you firewall? and which port the game is attempting to use?

Sir_Robin
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Have you checked the prices of a PS3 or 360 (where's that damn sarcmark?) That's seriously too much work for a FPS.

Domostick
01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
What kind of video card are you running, also specs on processor and ram?

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
What kind of video card are you running, also specs on processor and ram?

Why would that matter if it work great for 2 years?

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
His PC has clearly been infected by AIDS. A more susceptible Immune System (IS) leads to these things.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
There is a windows update that kills the audio in my labtop. Did you update windows before trying to play the game after you scrubed the computer?

extralife
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
could be an overheating issue, be it video card or RAM.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
His PC has clearly been infected by AIDS. A more susceptible Immune System (IS) leads to these things.

Hes been opening links from ApaOps5.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
could be an overheating issue, be it video card or RAM.

Yep.

Killericon
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
What game are you talking about, specifically? If it only happens with one game, then it's not a hardware issue.

Majik
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
You are still running XP? That's the problem, upgrade to vista! :wiggle:

RhymesayersDU
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

You are still here? That's the problem, upgrade to an extra-strength bleach!

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Is this where the sarcasm symbol goes?

Chris
01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
What game is it

Check your firewall

Lolad
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm usually very good at solving problems with computers but this one has em stumped and I could use some help.

I've been experiencing some very choppy and sluggish play on one of my internet FPS games. I only play one game online so I have no other games to test right now to compare.

So I run FRAPS to make sure my frame rates are good and they are, getting around 45FPS which is solid. Also, my PING has been very good, mid 30's usually. I've done speedtests online and getting 12Megabits per sec download and 4.5 upload. Very good.

So those are the two normal suspects to check if you have choppy game play and both of mine are fine. Not sure where else to look. I thought it could be the hardrive so I went and bought a new Seagate 1TB Barracuda, reinstalled XP and motherboard drivers, Nvidia drivers. Everything else on the PC is working great. I did a 3Dmark bench test and it sailed through that. My system is working great.

But then I install the game again and even on normal setting it's choppy. The same settings it has been on for the past 2 years and it's always been great.

What could it be? What else causes a game to be choppy even though the FPS and PING are great?

Thanks.

If you started with a fresh OS install and the game is still choppy that might be caused by some RAM going bad. IMO 45FPS is not good for online gaming. I played Professionally for 8 years you need @ least 120+ to experience the game to it's full potential. Better FPS correlates to better registration when you are aiming at targets and also helps with smoother movement.

If your computer is more than 5 years old Get a new mobo, ram, cpu, and graphics card.

extralife
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Iyou need @ least 120+ to experience the game to it's full potential.

what is this garbage. your monitor can't even display 120 fps unless you payed a thousand bucks for it, and most people's eyes can't register it period. most games these days cap at 60, and there's no need for more.

Pseudofool
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Check the forums on the game's official site. See if other people are experience frame rate issues. Does the game run normally offline?

ZONA
01-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry for the delayed response fellas.

System Specs:

ABIT KN8 SLI
Socket 939 AMD 3700+
2 GB Ram (2.21 GHz) with heatspreaders
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Barracuda HD (SATA)
XP PRO SP3
Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB
465 Watt ANTEC Power Supply

The game is Team Fortress 2 and it's not a super demanding game as far as frames go. And as I said, it was running perfectly smooth before and then it just started getting choppy. I know 45-60 FPS is not lighning fast but for this game it was plenty. I had no problem racking up the frags and it was smooth.

Yes I checked the firewall and made sure the game exe was added as an exception and the ports are set up correctly in my router. And my connection is not wireless and I don't have encription turned on. I do have a wireless laptop as my 2nd PC but I don't game on it. I have general WEP turned on and also have the MAC List setup (where only PC's with my assgined MAC addresses are allowed on my network).

One thing I have discovered in the past 2 hours is that after I did my fresh install to the new drive, I never changed the boot sequence back from CD first and left the XP cd in there. I went into BIOS and changed that back to HD first and CD second and removed the XP cd and when I went to boot up, it never went to Windows. At the bottom of the page after it finds the drives and what not, it said this:

Nvidia Boot Agent 211.0481
PXE-E53 No Boot File
PXE-MOF Disk Boot Failure

I needed to know what that was so I changed everything back, it booted wo Windows and I could not find alot of info on this error. I did run this program called TestDisk and I believe the problem is that the new drive where I installed Windows is not set up as the Primary Boot Disk. See, my older SATA drive (500GB Maxtor) I left in there and it had XP on it and I connected that to the motherboard via the SATA 2 connector, while the new drive (1TB Seagate) I connected to the SATA 1 connector. I thought something funny was up becuase normally the new Primary Windows drive will automatically name itself as the C drive. But this one named itself the J drive (there are other partitions and thus it's all the way to J) and the old SATA drive is still C. Though when I installed new programs and drivers, they all went to J. So that's why I thought it was OK but still odd it wasn't named C.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it because before I even installed this new drive, the game was at that point still having the problem.

I'm going to fix the HD issue and get those 2 drives situated but I highly doubt that it's the main problem.

FYI - Vista sucks eggs. I had that installed a few years ago and it sucked bad. XP has always been way more stable for me. But not trying to turn this thread into a Vista vs XP, lol.

Rigs11
01-13-2010, 10:46 PM
check your fans for dust buildup. sounds silly but trust me especially on the graphics card. If it gets above a certain temp it will start throttling.run a memtest on your ram.

PaintballCLE
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
you should really go higher than 2 gb of ram too 4 at a minimum

Killericon
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
These guys (http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/forums/thread/421214/) seem to think defragging your HD should fix it, but I don't think so. Steam should auto-update, so that shouldn't be the problem. I've had issues with source games and the Anti-Aliasing, try messing around with that, see what happens. When did the problem start?

jhns
01-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Try turning vsync off in your graphics card settings. I know it used to cause some older games to be choppy. I haven't heard about it being a problem on newer ones though. Others also are right that it could be an overheating issue. You should try playing another game that has good graphics and see if it runs smooth. If it isn't one of those two, I have no clue without actually playing with the computer.

Lolad
01-14-2010, 06:22 AM
what is this garbage. your monitor can't even display 120 fps unless you payed a thousand bucks for it, and most people's eyes can't register it period. most games these days cap at 60, and there's no need for more.

I don't know what FPS games you play... But Call of Duty series caps @ 85 counter strike series caps @ 85 is They originally have FPS caps, competetive players know how to tweek their FPS config. Most leagues cap the FPS at 120 because anything more gives you an advantage over a player who's getting less FPS.

The reason they cap is to ensure smooth gameplay. If they allowed a higher fps a lot of computers would spike 25-120 and you would have choppy movement. Most people who buy games just play it for the fun of it, they don't know anything about how to tweek their config. They would think the game was crap

doesn't matter what the eye can see... In the games I've played and anybody who's played competitively can tell you the guns behave differently with higher fps.

jhns
01-14-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't know what FPS games you play... But Call of Duty series caps @ 85 counter strike series caps @ 85 is They originally have FPS caps, competetive players know how to tweek their FPS config. Most leagues cap the FPS at 120 because anything more gives you an advantage over a player who's getting less FPS.

The reason they cap is to ensure smooth gameplay. If they allowed a higher fps a lot of computers would spike 25-120 and you would have choppy movement. Most people who buy games just play it for the fun of it, they don't know anything about how to tweek their config. They would think the game was crap

doesn't matter what the eye can see... In the games I've played and anybody who's played competitively can tell you the guns behave differently with higher fps.

I made good money off of games. You would never be able to tell a bit of difference between 75 and 120 FPS. That is a myth that has taken hold with no validity. Most monitors only refresh at rates up to 60 or 75 FPS. If you don't have an extremely expensive monitor, you can't see the difference. You also have 0 advantage. Some of the best players I knew had horrible computers and didn't play at really high FPS. It is a gaming urban legend.

Pseudofool
01-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Did you see Steam released a patch for this yesterday? http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=106282

ScottXray
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Sorry for the delayed response fellas.

System Specs:

ABIT KN8 SLI
Socket 939 AMD 3700+
2 GB Ram (2.21 GHz) with heatspreaders
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Barracuda HD (SATA)
XP PRO SP3
Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB
465 Watt ANTEC Power Supply

The game is Team Fortress 2 and it's not a super demanding game as far as frames go. And as I said, it was running perfectly smooth before and then it just started getting choppy. I know 45-60 FPS is not lighning fast but for this game it was plenty. I had no problem racking up the frags and it was smooth.

Yes I checked the firewall and made sure the game exe was added as an exception and the ports are set up correctly in my router. And my connection is not wireless and I don't have encription turned on. I do have a wireless laptop as my 2nd PC but I don't game on it. I have general WEP turned on and also have the MAC List setup (where only PC's with my assgined MAC addresses are allowed on my network).

One thing I have discovered in the past 2 hours is that after I did my fresh install to the new drive, I never changed the boot sequence back from CD first and left the XP cd in there. I went into BIOS and changed that back to HD first and CD second and removed the XP cd and when I went to boot up, it never went to Windows. At the bottom of the page after it finds the drives and what not, it said this:

Nvidia Boot Agent 211.0481
PXE-E53 No Boot File
PXE-MOF Disk Boot Failure

I needed to know what that was so I changed everything back, it booted wo Windows and I could not find alot of info on this error. I did run this program called TestDisk and I believe the problem is that the new drive where I installed Windows is not set up as the Primary Boot Disk. See, my older SATA drive (500GB Maxtor) I left in there and it had XP on it and I connected that to the motherboard via the SATA 2 connector, while the new drive (1TB Seagate) I connected to the SATA 1 connector. I thought something funny was up becuase normally the new Primary Windows drive will automatically name itself as the C drive. But this one named itself the J drive (there are other partitions and thus it's all the way to J) and the old SATA drive is still C. Though when I installed new programs and drivers, they all went to J. So that's why I thought it was OK but still odd it wasn't named C.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it because before I even installed this new drive, the game was at that point still having the problem.

I'm going to fix the HD issue and get those 2 drives situated but I highly doubt that it's the main problem.

FYI - Vista sucks eggs. I had that installed a few years ago and it sucked bad. XP has always been way more stable for me. But not trying to turn this thread into a Vista vs XP, lol.

XP and vista have lots of issues with two bootable drives in a system, especially if they are the same OS>...disconnect one of the drives to see if that fixes the boot issue. If so you'll need to reformat that drive to non bootable. If you cloned it this is especially true.

Power supply can cause the issue with frame rates. If the power supply caps are leaking ( they dry out over time and use) it will not be able to maintain frame rates as the video card will dial it back to maintainable levels ...Windows usually will suffer spurious blue screens too, though.

UberBroncoMan
01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Going to throw this out there. Team Fortress 2 used to run like a baby for me as well and now it's complete ****. Not that I care since I play it once in a blue moon, if that. It's hit other people I know as well.

Domostick
01-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Definitely you want to upgrade the ram to atleast 4 gbs. I repair and build custom computers and 2 gbs is barley enough to run photoshop and some graphics software, try and upgrade that. Also like somebody else said, when windows recognizes two bootable drives it can slow down your motherboard substantially because it has to share the front side bus between both of the.