View Full Version : Turner to Skins

meangene
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Turner leaves Broncos to join Shanahan
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/13/2010 10:55:54 AM MST
Updated: 01/13/2010 11:06:05 AM MST

Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner, who has been with the team since 1995, has accepted an offer with the Washington Redskins, an NFL source has confirmed.

Turner will be an associate head coach on Mike Shanahan's staff in Washington. Turner came to Denver when Shanahan was hired as Broncos head coach in 1995.

The Broncos initially denied the Redskins permission to speak to Turner, but opted to let Turner interview when Shanahan came back with a second request that included a promotion to associate head coach.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, with Rick Dennison's departure on Tuesday, must replace two assistant coaches who oversaw the Broncos' dominant run game in Shanahan's 14 seasons. McDaniels would like to
move to a more power-oriented attack rather than the zone run scheme, which calls for smaller, quicker offensive linemen.

In Turner's tenure with the Broncos, Terrell Davis went from sixth-round draft pick to NFL MVP while Davis, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Rueben Droughns, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell all had at least one 1,000-yard rushing season.

The Broncos have not had a 1,000-yard rusher since Bell, in 2006.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14180116#ixzz0cW9ZhUU1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No surprise here.

cmhargrove
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I hate losing Bobby - he has been awesome for the Broncos. However, the winds of change are still blowing. Hopefully McD can get the pieces he needs for a good power running game this offseason.

It will be interesting to see our replacements...

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Well, there goes my adopt a Bronco for all these years.

My new adopt a Bronco is the Mighty McChesney; Former CU Buff and all around good guy. May he crack the lineup at guard. :thumbs:

Sad to see Bobby go. One of the funniest vids I ever saw was Bobby and TD talking about the running game. Bobby was talking like Yoda, about force fields and illuminated pathways and whatnot and TD was playing along.

meangene
01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I hate losing Bobby - he has been awesome for the Broncos. However, the winds of change are still blowing. Hopefully McD can get the pieces he needs for a good power running game this offseason.

Yeah, I have not heard of one single rumor as to who the replacements might be for Dennison or Turner. Since we are looking at position coaches, and I don't see us giving an asst. head coach title / promotion, it seems we need to be looking for guys out of work. Which means teams who have fired coaches or offensive coordinators. Not big on guys from the college ranks unless they have NFL experience.

ward63
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
If you think about it, it may be good that they are gone for the power offense McD wants to run. Find two guys that do it...

dbfan21
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, there goes my adopt a Bronco for all these years.

My new adopt a Bronco is the Mighty McChesney; Former CU Buff and all around good guy. May he crack the lineup at guard. :thumbs:

Sad to see Bobby go. One of the funniest vids I ever saw was Bobby and TD talking about the running game. Bobby was talking like Yoda, about force fields and illuminated pathways and whatnot and TD was playing along.

I remember that. I would love to see that one again. Very funny!

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
really at this point... I am Meh to this....

I think a new oline and running scheme will need a new RB coach....change is good after a while.

rastaman
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Agreed. Once McD is able to estab. a power running OL it will greatly increase the odds that the offense doesn't sputter into inconsistencies during November and December. It won't happen overnight. Focusing 2010 and 2011 McD should have all the pieces for his OL in place.

lostknight
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
What a disaster.

That is all.

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM

We gotta find that video!

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
So long BT. I think you are crazy to leave Denver to move to DC. Enjoy your time in the traffic.

rastaman
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
So long BT. I think you are crazy to leave Denver to move to DC. Enjoy your time in the traffic.

No one ever said McD was an easy Prima Donna to work for. Turner probably has a big simile on his face right about now.

Lolad
01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Agreed. Once McD is able to estab. a power running OL it will greatly increase the odds that the offense doesn't sputter into inconsistencies during November and December. It won't happen overnight. Focusing 2010 and 2011 McD should have all the pieces for his OL in place.

Haha... Already you are preparing for us not to be good in the running game. "they have on been running the power run scheme for a year, it takes 3-4 years to become good"

Football is about now.. Mcdaniels needs to have a running game that will be successful and seeing how NE was never referred to as a dominant or een good running team I doubt it'll happen.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
No one ever said McD was an easy Prima Donna to work for. Turner probably has a big simile on his face right about now.

It's a stupid move from a living conditions perspective. Bobby Turner is about to spend most of his life looking at tail lights. Good luck with that.

snowspot66
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Haha... Already you are preparing for us not to be good in the running game. "they have on been running the power run scheme for a year, it takes 3-4 years to become good"

Football is about now.. Mcdaniels needs to have a running game that will be successful and seeing how NE was never referred to as a dominant or een good running team I doubt it'll happen.

Seeing as how we haven't been dominant in running for years I'm sure he can match our production at the least.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Seeing as how we haven't been dominant in running for years I'm sure he can match our production at the least.

This

Bronco LB52
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you for 15 years of great service, Bobby Turner.

24champ
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Told you guys Dennison and Turner were going to bolt...Pat Bowlen kept them around.

Ultimately this is a good thing, McD will get the staff he wants and people that can coach his schemes.

jhat01
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
It's a stupid move from a living conditions perspective. Bobby Turner is about to spend most of his life looking at tail lights. Good luck with that.

Ain't that the truth. I drove back and forth from Columbia MD to Springfield VA 5 days a week...sucks.

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Yep the "true fans" taking shots at yet another former coach after he leaves.

That sucks Turner was one of the best at getting the most out of nothing.

tsiguy96
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
good for turner and i think good for us. works out in both of our best interest.
queue mcd haters

24champ
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
It's a given that he receives a substantial pay raise than what he made with the Broncos and he will work in a familiar environment with Shanahan.

Bronco Yoda
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I feel a great disturbance in the force...

Lolad
01-13-2010, 01:44 PM

I would just love to know where you are getting this from. We have been top 10 in rushing every year for a long time except this season when our favorite coach decided to mix schemes

24champ
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
What makes you think it will happen? I know 24Champ (in his typical doom and gloom manner) will try to tell us that both Turner and Dennison are gone when Shanny gets a new job, but really there is no evidence to suggest that happens.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2680171&postcount=27

:wave:

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 02:18 PM

The massive pay raise he's getting because of the associate head coach title is the biggest reason he's going there. He's getting up there in years now and if there's a chance to get a massive pay increase and with a guy you know damn well (Shanahan) that's going to run the ball the way you like to... why wouldn't he do it? I'd do it in his position.

ColoradoBuff
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Wish Bobby Turner nothing but the best in going to Washington! He's a class act!

KipCorrington25
01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Hopefully McDaniels has more of his brothers he can bring on the staff now!!!!!!!!!!!

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm shocked this place isn't tearing the guy down with stuff like "it's about the money" or "not team enough"

ROFL!

snowspot66
01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Yep the "true fans" taking shots at yet another former coach after he leaves.

That sucks Turner was one of the best at getting the most out of nothing.

Oh really? Please point out where I took a shot?

Just another idiot grasping at straws?

snowspot66
01-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I would just love to know where you are getting this from. We have been top 10 in rushing every year for a long time except this season when our favorite coach decided to mix schemes

I would love to know where you think we were dominant. We were dominant with TD and haven't been in ages because we haven't been able to win the line of scrimmage at will.

Our offensive line, RB's, and scheme were all good enough to get yards on the ground and keep it respectable but don't spout off like anybody actually feared us on the ground like they did the Chargers until recently and they do the Vikings and Ravens now.

broncswin
01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I would love to know where you think we were dominant. We were dominant with TD and haven't been in ages because we haven't been able to win the line of scrimmage at will.

Our offensive line, RB's, and scheme were all good enough to get yards on the ground and keep it respectable but don't spout off like anybody actually feared us on the ground like they did the Chargers until recently and they do the Vikings and Ravens now.

true, I loved Turner, but we have gotten predictable with this run game, time for a new look.

gyldenlove
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
true, I loved Turner, but we have gotten predictable with this run game, time for a new look.

So a guy who doesn't call the plays got predictable? You are going to have to run that one by me again.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
The massive pay raise he's getting because of the associate head coach title is the biggest reason he's going there. He's getting up there in years now and if there's a chance to get a massive pay increase and with a guy you know damn well (Shanahan) that's going to run the ball the way you like to... why wouldn't he do it? I'd do it in his position.

He'll die in his car. There is no amount of money that makes it worth traversing that place in a car. Besides...inside the belt way...nothing but savages.

gtown
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM

So right about that. Who turned the DC area into LA?

Bronx33
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Mike is systematically dismantling the broncos coaching staff.

elsid13
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
He'll die in his car. There is no amount of money that makes it worth traversing that place in a car. Besides...inside the belt way...nothing but savages.

Dude going to live out in Leesburg and commute to Redskins Park in Ashburn. He not going to face the day to day commute on the beltway or 395.

gtown
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I wish him well. Now Hillis can fulfill his true potential, whatever that may be.

NYBronco
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I wish Turner and Dennison the best and thank them for their time in Denver. Now that I've said that I look forward to their replacements and hope to see an improved offensive line and running game.

GeniusatWork
01-13-2010, 03:45 PM
What a disaster.

That is all.

Everything is adisaster to you. What a whiny little girl you are.

NFLBRONCO
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I thank the years of service in Denver but, just like Shanny its time we moved on. They are better suited for Shanny and Kubes types goodluck to them.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Dude going to live out in Leesburg and commute to Redskins Park in Ashburn. He not going to face the day to day commute on the beltway or 395.

Assuming that's the only place he'll ever drive. You know better than anyone here that it's a effing nightmare there.

elsid13
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Assuming that's the only place he'll ever drive. You know better than anyone here that it's a effing nightmare there.

it just took me an hour to go 9 miles. That being said, if you aren't driving during rush hours, or attempting to go south on 95 on Friday during the summer. It ain't that bad.

DC sucks (especial during weather event), but I prefer it over NYC, LA, Dallas, Paris, Norfolk/Hampton Roads (Tunnel)

_Oro_
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
So why did we keep Dennison and Turner last year? I mean if it was Bowlens decree, then why did he decree it? Did McD want them? Seems like no. So why keepem for a year?

The MVPlaya
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
So why did we keep Dennison and Turner last year? I mean if it was Bowlens decree, then why did he decree it? Did McD want them? Seems like no. So why keepem for a year?

Maybe because we thought we could be successful at that time? Maybe because our offensive unit was the same exact one returning after a dominant year - that's why we keep Dennison?

Dennison was interviewed by the Niners for a head coaching job too, LAST YEAR.

You're talking as if Broncos PLANNED to keep them for a year. Like they knew Shanny was coming back and Kubiak would lose his OC.

How does this by default, have to do with McD? They both got job upgrades - and Turner was originally denied until Shanny gave him a job upgrade.

elsid13
01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe because we thought we could be successful at that time? Maybe because our offensive unit was the same exact one returning after a dominant year - that's why we keep Dennison?

Dennison was interviewed by the Niners for a head coaching job too.

You're talking as if Broncos PLANNED to keep them for a year. Like they knew Shanny was coming back and Kubiak would lose his OC.

How does this by default, have to do with McD? They both got job upgrades - and Turner was originally denied until Shanny gave him a job upgrade.

Dennison was up for the OC position in SF and interviewed for HC in Denver. Bowlen did say that Dennison interview was very impressive and had a good feel on how to "fix" the team.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Dennison was up for the OC position in SF and interviewed for HC in Denver. Bowlen did say that Dennison interview was very impressive and had a good feel on how to "fix" the team.

You're right - got it mixed. Shanny always, ALWAYS talked extremely highly of Dennison and his intelligence, always questioning why he was doing the job he was doing.

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Well I don't think teams would fear the Chargers, Vikings or Ravens if they had late round RBs and undrafted O-line guys to work with year in and year out.

Ray Rice was a second pick McGahee was a first round pick. Ben Grubbs was a first round pick, Chris Chester was a second round pick, Michael Oher was first round pick. Matt Birk and Jared Gaither are the only two players that were not a high draft pick that they have to work with.

Minny has Peterson who was a first rounder, Bryant McKinnie first rounder, Phil Loadholt a second rounder, and Steve Hutchinson a first rounder. Anthony Herrera was undrafted and John Sullivan was a sixth round pick.

Both those teams have more invested in the O-line then we have in awhile.

HILife
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM

DC traffic SUCKS! You have to preplan all your routes and find all the back rounds before you leave the house. Pretty soon everyone will find the back roads and then things will really get bad.

I still don't understand why the traffic is so bad on the weekends! Some interstates say busy ALL DAY!

SportinOne
01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
2002 - 5.0 YPC (3rd)
2003 - 4.8 YPC (4th)
2004 - 4.4 YPC (8th)
2005 - 4.7 YPC (4th)
2006 - 4.4 YPC (9th)
2007 - 4.6 YPC (5th)
2008 - 4.8 YPC (3rd)
-----------------------The McDaniels Line--------------------
2009 - 4.2 YPC (17th) With more talent at RB than we have had in years

This might be acceptable if we:

A. had a great QB and
B. were not getting rid of our best receiver

It is going to be a long offseason, but it is definitely possible that this team takes a step back in 2010. Hopefully, if this happens, we won't have traded the pick.

HILife
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Ain't that the truth. I drove back and forth from Columbia MD to Springfield VA 5 days a week...sucks.

If your going to Springfield from MD wouldn't you take 95 south? That should be going away from traffic in the morning. I'm not to familiar with the interstates in MD so don't know which ones you would take to get to VA. I guess 270.

elsid13
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
If your going to Springfield from MD wouldn't you take 95 south? That should be going away from traffic in the morning. I'm not to familiar with the interstates in MD so don't know which ones you would take to get to VA. I guess 270.

You want no part of 270 or 95 southbound. The best way for him is BW parkway into DC then jump onto 395.

HILife
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
You want no part of 270 or 95 southbound. The best way for him is BW parkway into DC then jump onto 395.

Oh yea your right. I was thinking of 395. I always get 95 and 395 confused. 395 is inside the beltway and 95 merges with the beltway. There are some parts of the beltway I will never drive on. Lucky for me the area I drive on 495 as no traffic in the morning.

uplink
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I suspect if he had remotely enjoyed working for McD he would have stayed since he never wanted to move his family etc.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The Moops
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Portis suddenly is a happy guy . . .