PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs hiring Romeo Crennel.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
It's official: Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis are back together in Kansas City, with the Chiefs hiring Crennel.
3 minutes ago from web
Adam_Schefter

TheDave
01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Gotta give them this... Looks like the cheifs are putting together a pretty good coaching staff.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Gotta give them this... Looks like the cheifs are putting together a pretty big coaching staff.

corrected that for ya

TheDave
01-13-2010, 08:12 AM
corrected that for ya

There is a certifiable man boob obsession going on there.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Can't really hate too much on having the DC and OC from the Pats Dynasty together on one team. I'm not going to call KC a playoff team, but they're going to be much better next year.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
And people thought Denver would be Patriots West. I guess not.

DaFace
01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Can't really hate too much on having the DC and OC from the Pats Dynasty together on one team. I'm not going to call KC a playoff team, but they're going to be much better next year.

It's going to take a bit to get our foundation of players in place, so I'm still not that optimistic about next season. Our draft this past year seems to be a bit of a dud, so that doesn't help. Hopefully the input of Weis and Crennel will get things headed in the right direction, though.

NYC Bronco
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
If we don't get our **** together we will be a 3rd place team. Once Marshall is gone, where are the play makers?

Tom A Hawk
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I like the move to these experienced coordinators.
Now, what will the draft look like? Lots of holes to fill and lots of losses coming. 2011 might be the year to gain the AFCW back

DeuceOfClub
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Failey is out by week 8 or at the bye-week (whichever is first)

KCStud
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
McDumbass is out by week 8 or at the bye-week (whichever is first) with Nolan being his replacement

Fixed it for ya :thanku:

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
The Chiefs might be able to put a pretty good team together - just in time for the move to L.A. ;D

Pony Boy
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
And people thought Denver would be Patriots West. I guess not.

When they take the field next season, the Chiefs will have the same defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and top front-office executive who helped lead New England to three Super Bowl titles during 2002-05.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761

jhat01
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM
When they take the field next season, the Chiefs will have the same defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and top front-office executive who helped lead New England to three Super Bowl titles during 2002-05.

I would be worried if they brought along Tom Brady...Otherwise they still have work to do regarding talent. The names are flashy, but at this point it's only flash. Here's to hoping they don't turn it around!!!:nyahdevil

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I think the bidding war between the Pats, Denver, and KC is going to be awesome this off-season.

hookemhess
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
KC is putting together a solid organization. Once they get an o-line, they should begin to compete.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM

you don't have Tom Brady or Belichek....Hopefully you are dumb enough to think that you destined for success based of the recent hires. You still need to strike it rich on draft picks, and hope that some of the recent players you drafted in the top of the past few drafts start earning their money.

worm
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
you don't have Tom Brady or Belichek....Hopefully you are dumb enough to think that you destined for success based of the recent hires. You still need to strike it rich on draft picks, and hope that some of the recent players you drafted in the top of the past few drafts start earning their money.

Kinda like Denver don't you think?

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Crennel and Weis are pretty good hires, but they're still lagging behind us both in coaching staff and talent.

Bronco LB52
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Coors Light will have to pull their Crennel ad because active NFL personnel are not permitted to endorse alcohol.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hw2RQNnXmvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hw2RQNnXmvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

crazyhorse
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Crennel and Weis are pretty good hires, but they're still lagging behind us both in coaching staff and talent.

Uh huh.

Not many team are "lagging" behind the Broncos. Only a true homer would think so.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
LOL

It's not even clear we have one good coach, forget a coaching staff. Nolan, who started well, stunk it up in the last 4 games (stats worthy of the previous yr's fiasco). McD has yet to prove anything, in fact, some may reasonably argue that he has proven not to be up to par with avg NFL coaches. Lastly, considering last yr's draft, we may have a FO that is incompetent at drafting. After many yr's of Shanny giving us mediocre drafts (with much worse drafting positions), the FO finally was among the best if not the best in the league in drafts...now we should be content if we are in the 65th percentile, despite having a bounty to draft from. By the time McD and the FO are through with our talent, it is anyone's guess how bad or decent we may be...there is nothing definite about it.

Put down the Kool-Aid. KC has a proven staff, we, conversely, may have a very good staff, but are just as likely to have a truly mediocre staff.

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Uh huh.

Not many team are "lagging" behind the Broncos. Only a true homer would think so.

It's true, Crazyhorse. Don't let your first win ever at Invesco fool you.

If you want to compare them, well McDaniels first season was far superior to Haley's, and McDaniels comes with a much better resume. Edge goes to McD.

McD made substantial innovations and improvements to the Weis lead offense in New England, and since both are going to be running their respective offenses I'm comparing them directly to one another. Edge again would go to McD although Weis does bring HC experience, albeit at the collegiate level.

Crennel is pretty good, but he was basically Belichick's wingman for running the defense in New England. He's never really had complete control of the defense like Nolan has his entire career, so you basically have to give the egde to Nolan by default.

I'm not trying to dump on the Chiefs, just my honest assesment of the situation. For the record I was really big on bringing Weis here to Denver to help Josh run the offense and I certainly wouldn't have minded if we hired Crennel as our DC when Shanahan was tossed out.

ZachKC
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Well hm, one coach came in and won 2 more games than the previous year while the other had the same record and they split the series on the season.

crazyhorse
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM

If you want to compare them, well McDaniels first season was far superior to Haley's, and McDaniels comes with a much better resume. Edge goes to McD.

McD made substantial innovations and improvements to the Weis lead offense in New England, and since both are going to be running their respective offenses I'm comparing them directly to one another. Edge again would go to McD although Weis does bring HC experience, albeit at the collegiate level.

Crennel is pretty good, but he was basically Belichick's wingman for running the defense in New England. He's never really had complete control of the defense like Nolan has his entire career, so you basically have to give the egde to Nolan by default.

I'm not trying to dump on the Chiefs, just my honest assesment of the situation. For the record I was really big on bringing Weis here to Denver to help Josh run the offense and I certainly wouldn't have minded if we hired Crennel as our DC when Shanahan was tossed out.

Its all good.

I was considering other factors. I was thinking McDs 1st year was a total flop. To think the 6-0 start was anything but an fluke is homeristic. By the end of the season you guys couldn't beat anybody. I was under the impression that a team that starts 6-0 yet doesn't make the playoffs was historical failure. Not great coaching. When McD became the OC in NE he had the benefit of new players Weis didn't. Namely, Moss and Welker. The offense looked as good when he left as it did when he was there.

As for talent. Last year I would have agreed with you. This year however, the more they played the worse they got. Which also shows degradation that can be blamed on the coaching staff.

You cant say that your 1st year coaches performed any better than ours did. If you say you have more talented players, then you have to say that your coaches did nothing with it. If you say your coaches are better, then thats saying your players are not. Because by the end of the season, the Chiefs were a better football team than the Broncos. Not because we won a football game at Invesco. But because we were improving. The Broncos were doing the opposite.

Peace.

Good to hear from ya.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Well hm, one coach came in and won 2 more games than the previous year while the other had the same record and they split the series on the season.
In all fairness, that is a poor comparison. McD replaced a 2 time SB winner, with a history of doing fairly well during the season regardless of the talent, and to some a HoF HC. Who did your guy replace again? What did that guy accomplish in KC and in NY before that?...Not a fair comparison.

Bronx33
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
If we don't get our **** together we will be a 3rd place team. Once Marshall is gone, where are the play makers?

Whats wrong with gaffney,royal and stokley??

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Crennell + Wiess = 700lbs of fat on the sideline... Pioli better invest some real $ in the cafetaria buffet... just say...

The MVPlaya
01-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Stokely needs to be a situational guy - not a regular rotation guy to keep him fresh for late season runs.

If he had ran that TD in during the Raiders game, we probably would have won.

ZachKC
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
In all fairness, that is a poor comparison. McD replaced a 2 time SB winner, with a history of doing fairly well during the season regardless of the talent, and to some a HoF HC. Who did your guy replace again? What did that guy accomplish in KC and in NY before that?...Not a fair comparison.

So my point isn't as good even though I am talking about what two coaches did compared to their previous coaches with their respective teams and you are talking about the legend of a coach who was not there any more.

The aoura of Herm or Shannahan or whatever you are blabbing about matters little. We know what they left. Shanny left an 8 win team and Herm left a 2 win team.

Haley's team improved their record. McDaniels team had the same record.

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM

After half-time Gaffney went away during that Chiefs game. They started pressing him and he couldn't get open. That was KC man! I think people are fooling themselves if they think he is going to have much success against better cornerbacks. He is OK in the role he is in now but he is not someone I want to see as my 1 WR. JMO

2KBack
01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
So my point isn't as good even though I am talking about what two coaches did compared to their previous coaches with their respective teams and you are talking about the legend of a coach who was not there any more.

The aoura of Herm or Shannahan or whatever you are blabbing about matters little. We know what they left. Shanny left an 8 win team and Herm left a 2 win team.

That's not the deepest of observations really though. Going from a terrible team to a bad team is easier than going from mediocre to good.

I'm not trying to take anything away from a team improving. KC finally looks to be going in the right direction, but that doesn't mean that Denver isn't as well.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Come on Zack you are not that stupid. Herm was a moron, any below avg coach should improve on him. Shanny has arguably many faults, but being Hermanesque as a coach is not one of them. Haley needed to do little to improve, whereas McD had to be decent to keep pace, that is if all things are equal.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
If that is our top 3, then we have some serious problems at WR. McD/Orton have no sense on how to use Royal, Gaffney is nothing approaching a #1 WR, and Stokley is fragile and must be treated as such. A position of strength has become bottom quarter. Lets hope not.

Broncos_OTM
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Its funny how Chiefs fans think they beat us. We beat ourselves all the crap that was in the lockerroom sealed it for us.

kmartin575
01-13-2010, 10:08 PM
KC is putting together a solid organization. Once they get an o-line, they should begin to compete.

Need to find a defense before we compete for anything, besides another top 5 pick.

Broncoman13
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Its funny how Chiefs fans think they beat us. We beat ourselves all the crap that was in the lockerroom sealed it for us.

Its funny (more sad actually) that you're making up excuses. McDaniels said that wasn't the problem. He wouldn't lie to us.........again.

Killericon
01-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Its funny (more sad actually) that you're making up excuses. McDaniels said that wasn't the problem. He wouldn't lie to us.........again.

Dude, we used to have Mike Shanahan as our coach, and you're going after McDaniels for being misleading in public? Wow, alright.

KCStud
01-13-2010, 11:33 PM

How does McDaniels come with a much better resume? Both had 2 All-Pro WR's and a HOF QB (yes I think Warner deserves it) and made it to the SB. Yes McDaniels offense set records, but Haley's offense was ranked in the top 5 as well. Your team got progressively worse as the season went one while ours got progressively better.

Also, you forget that McDaniels had Moss and Welker who made their offense outstanding. You saw what happened without Welker and an aging "I don't care attitude" Moss that you now see today. Weis had Troy Brown and Deion Branch as his WR's, plus he was one of the key factors to developing Tom Brady and everybody knows it.

Weis and Crennel have tons of knowledge for the game. They are proven coaches. Both proved their worth on their own. Both were very good coaches at NE and they also proved they know what they are doing.
Weis had good offense's almost every year at ND and Crennel drafted good defensive players like Eric Wright, Kamerion Wimbley, D'Qwell Jackson and Sean Jones, in his time in Cleveland, so it is foolish to think both aren't capable of finding and molding talented players.

Nolan is a damn good DC, bar none. It's very close as to who is a better DC, but I would give Nolan the nod. That still doesn't excuse the fact that Weis is hands down better than any offensive coach you have. He's proven when it comes to the offense.
We also have one of the best OL coaches in the NFL in Bill Muir. He has played a big role as our OL looked miles better towards the end of the season opposed to the beginning.

Florida, your homerism is showing. Our GM is more qualified, our OC is more qualified and it is unknown whether our DC and HC are better than yours, but make no mistake they have just as much experience and are just as qualified.

ZachKC
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
That's not the deepest of observations really though. Going from a terrible team to a bad team is easier than going from mediocre to good.

I'm not trying to take anything away from a team improving. KC finally looks to be going in the right direction, but that doesn't mean that Denver isn't as well.

I agree, but given the information I don't come up with "advantage MCD" as Florida Bronco wanted to declare.

ZachKC
01-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Come on Zack you are not that stupid. Herm was a moron, any below avg coach should improve on him. Shanny has arguably many faults, but being Hermanesque as a coach is not one of them. Haley needed to do little to improve, whereas McD had to be decent to keep pace, that is if all things are equal.

You keep coming back to the coaches. The coaches from last year left the teams...its the teams I am focusing on.

Haley was left with a 2 win team and improved it.

MCD was left with an 8 win team and got 8 wins.

The ghosts of Herm or Shanny didn't win or lose games. I am talking about what the coaches had to work with judging how they did.

One improved based on their time there and one stayed the same. This isn't even a knock on McDaniels but it also is an indication that saying McD is clearly better doesn't seem to be at all true so far.

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 04:28 AM

kansas city chefs losers of 35 out of their last 40 games...

yup things are looking up.....

heh.

KCStud
01-14-2010, 07:56 AM
kansas city chefs losers of 35 out of their last 40 games...

yup things are looking up.....

heh.

You do know that the new regime has only been here one year right? And in that one year we doubled our win total from the year before.

Merlin
01-14-2010, 08:42 AM
You keep coming back to the coaches. The coaches from last year left the teams...its the teams I am focusing on.

Haley was left with a 2 win team and improved it.

MCD was left with an 8 win team and got 8 wins.

The ghosts of Herm or Shanny didn't win or lose games. I am talking about what the coaches had to work with judging how they did.

One improved based on their time there and one stayed the same. This isn't even a knock on McDaniels but it also is an indication that saying McD is clearly better doesn't seem to be at all true so far.
You are breathing far too much KC pollution. If you are to argue that coaches make a difference after the fact, then by definition they make a difference before the fact; i.e. the wins are a reflection of the team and coach. Since your prior coach was incompetent, it would take a subpar coach to improve on his accomplishments, thus the only conclusion you can draw by the fact that he increased your wins by 2 is that he is better than an utterly incompetent coach...thus your comparison is useless when applying it to Denver since McD was replacing a HC that was far better than just being utterly incompetent. If you cannot understand the difference, then it is time you take some time off photography and take a course or two on reading comprehension.

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
You do know that the new regime has only been here one year right? And in that one year we doubled our win total from the year before.

And yet still finished in last place and going on 17 seasons with out a playoff victory and 40 years with out even a Superbowl appearance....

Oh yeah...things are looking up......

;)

KCStud
01-14-2010, 11:31 AM
And yet still finished in last place and going on 17 seasons with out a playoff victory and 40 years with out even a Superbowl appearance....

Oh yeah...things are looking up......

;)

Yawn. I guess if you wanna talk about history than you should mention how Bronco fans didn't know what it was like to win a championship for decades. Getting blown out in SB's for the longest time until finally winning one in the late 90's.
Did I also mention that the organization is going downhill? After Elway your team has only one playoff win and a handful of playoff embarrassments. Nowadays, the Broncos don't even have to go to the playoffs to choke, they just do it in the regular season. Now your most talented players are wanting out.
But continue to pump your chest like your organization is on the same level as the Steelers.

Btw-Good luck with out Marshall next year. Your once top 5 offense is now in shambles. :thanku:

jhat01
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Yawn. I guess if you wanna talk about history than you should mention how Bronco fans didn't know what it was like to win a championship for decades. Getting blown out in SB's for the longest time until finally winning one in the late 90's.
Did I also mention that the organization is going downhill? After Elway your team has only one playoff win and a handful of playoff embarrassments. Nowadays, the Broncos don't even have to go to the playoffs to choke, they just do it in the regular season. Now your most talented players are wanting out.
But continue to pump your chest like your organization is on the same level as the Steelers.

Btw-Good luck with out Marshall next year. Your once top 5 offense is now in shambles. :thanku:

At least we've seen a championship in our lifetimes. Going on what? 40 years now?

KCStud
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
At least we've seen a championship in our lifetimes. Going on what? 40 years now?

The Carl Peterson and Jack Steadman years are over. We now have an owner who is all about winning and our GM is very qualified and also cares about winning more than revenue. Things are changing for the better in KC. Can't really say the same about Denver..

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
The Carl Peterson and Jack Steadman years are over. We now have an owner who is all about winning and our GM is very qualified and also cares about winning more than revenue. Things are changing for the better in KC. Can't really say the same about Denver..

You are funny.....ya paid 63 million dollars for a career back up who ironically enough played like one. Hire all the coaches ya want..cos ya can't win the Indy 500 driving a Yugo...

Just sayin'

ZachKC
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
You are breathing far too much KC pollution. If you are to argue that coaches make a difference after the fact, then by definition they make a difference before the fact; i.e. the wins are a reflection of the team and coach. Since your prior coach was incompetent, it would take a subpar coach to improve on his accomplishments, thus the only conclusion you can draw by the fact that he increased your wins by 2 is that he is better than an utterly incompetent coach...thus your comparison is useless when applying it to Denver since McD was replacing a HC that was far better than just being utterly incompetent. If you cannot understand the difference, then it is time you take some time off photography and take a course or two on reading comprehension.

Hilarious!

McDaniels took over a better team.

But that doesn't seem to figure into your stroke session of Shannahan.

Bronco Rob
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Hilarious!

The Broncos have always been the better team...

what is your point?

KCStud
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
You are funny.....ya paid 63 million dollars for a career back up who ironically enough played like one. Hire all the coaches ya want..cos ya can't win the Indy 500 driving a Yugo...

Just sayin'

Cassel is a legit starting NFL QB. He can be above average with a good coach and WR's that can actually catch the ball(see 2008 season with McD as his OC).
Cassel didn't have an OC. Haley was too busy coaching the whole team. Now he has the best offensive mind (Weis) he could ask for...ya know the guy who was a key factor in building Tom Brady

Bronco Rob
01-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Cassel is a legit starting NFL QB. He can be above average with a good coach and WR's that can actually catch the ball(see 2008 season with McD as his OC).
Cassel didn't have an OC. Haley was too busy coaching the whole team. Now he has the best offensive mind (Weis) he could ask for...ya know the guy who was a key factor in building Tom Brady

Cassel took over a New England team that went 16-0 and couldn't even get them to the playoffs....Took over in kansas city and couldn't get them out of the AFC West cellar...

He's worth EVERY penny of that 63 million dollars.

:thumbsup:

Merlin
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM

My goodness, you have joined the short-bus. To think, you used to have some insight to contribute. In any of my posts did I suggest your pathetic team should perform better than Denver in the Win/Loss column?

My comments about your incompetent ex-HC seem to have hurt your mangina. I'll try and refrain from talking about him in "competence" terms to protect your feelings. Now lets try again, and this time we will not make any mention of you know who and his lack of competency so that your tears do not affect your reasoning.

It is irrelevant who had the better team. We are looking at W/L changes that can be attributed to coaching. Now you clearly recognized that players alone do not define the win/loss column, otherwise you would not have made reference to your "team's" improvement with the new coach.

Now lets go slowly... if your team had a HC whose performance did not match the HC of another team...try to contain yourself...who performed more poorly than another HC (i.e. Denver), then it is reasonable to assume that one would need less coaching ability to improve the Win/Loss column on your team than the team with the better coach (i.e. Denver).

I hope you were able to contain your emotions and read without tearing up. I know your reading comprehension is poor, but I also know that with a little effort you can understand the above paragraph. Just think of the Chu-Chu train going up the hill, I know you can.

KCStud
01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Cassel took over a New England team that went 16-0 and couldn't even get them to the playoffs....Took over in kansas city and couldn't get them out of the AFC West cellar...

He's worth EVERY penny of that 63 million dollars.

:thumbsup:

And how did Tom Brady do behind that same team this year? Had the same record if I'm not mistaken?
And hey Rob, why don't you name me a QB that would have taken KC far this year? Not even Peyton Manning would have taken KC to a winning record or even 8-8.
The 63 mill is fine with me. KC has a TON of money in the cap.
Lol it's not like we have Orton. My god that guy has everything to succeed this year and a he still screwed the pooch. Pro Bowl WR, LT, first round RB, one of if not the best WR from the 2008 draft class. :rofl:

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
http://img.youtube.com/vi/MJdW5INse9Y/0.jpg

"You're a friend of mine"