PDA

View Full Version : Marshall in Miami?

Bronco Rob
01-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Marshall in Miami?

by Matty I on Jan 13, 2010 12:15 AM EST

It's no secret that Dolphin fans want their team to upgrade at the receiver position. There's some very good depth there and there are some very good complimentary receivers on the roster. But for the unit to be as effective as possible, the Dolphins need a true number one receiver.

Marshall, meanwhile, has had some rocky times in Denver over the past 12 months. And that might make him available in a trade. In fact, Marshall not only cleaned out his locker in Denver after their season came to an end; he even took his nameplate from his locker.

The Positives
At 6'4, 230 pounds, Brandon Marshall is exactly the kind of big-time play-making receiver that the Dolphins currently lack and very much need. Simply put, the man produces when he's on the field. After his 20 catch rookie season, Marshall has caught at least 101 passes in three consecutive seasons, averaging over 1200 yards in that span. Marshall also saw his touchdown output increase in 2009 despite his strong-armed quarterback - Jay Cutler - being sent to Chicago last offseason. His 10 touchdowns in '09 ranked 7th in the entire league.

Marshall will be just 26 years old in March and has missed just three games in four seasons in Denver. Simply put, Brandon has all the physical tools you look for in a receiver. He's big, fast, strong, and possesses great hands.

The Negatives
Unfortunately, like most elite receivers, Marshall would come to Miami with a lot of baggage. Even before this season, Brandon has had his share of issues. In college, records indicate that Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault of a law enforcement official, refusal to obey, and disorderly conduct. Then in March of 2007, just two months after being involved in an altercation that resulted in the murder of teammate Darrent Williams (may he rest in peace), Marshall was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence following a claim from his girlfriend. Charges were dropped, though, after Marshall completed an anger management class.

In October of 2007, Marshall was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. Rather than go to trial, he plead guilty to a lesser charge. In March if 2008, Marshall was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery. While he was found not guilty, the NFL did suspend Marshall for three games. After an appeal, his suspension was reduced to one game. Then in March of 2009, Marshall was arrested for disorderly conduct following a dispute with his fiance. Charges were dropped.

And all of this leaves out that odd story where Marshall supposedly slipped on a McDonald's bag while wrestling with family members - resulting in Brandon falling through a television set. Then, of course, is the issues Marshall had in 2009 on the field with the Broncos. He acted like a child during practice before the season, running through drills in half speed and deliberately knocking down passes thrown to him rather than catching them. By the end of the year, head coach Josh McDaniels benched Marshall for the final game after he reportedly was late to a physical therapy session (and I bet there's more to this story).

Marshall will also be a restricted free agent this offseason. It's expected that Denver will put the highest tender offer on him, forcing teams that sign him to an offer sheet to surrender both a 1st and 3rd round draft pick back to Denver. Of course, the Broncos will likely entertain trade offers as soon as possible even before the "tender offer deadline."

So while Brandon Marshall clearly has all the physical tools you want in a receiver, is he worth the risk? If so, at what price?

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/1/13/1248139/fans-pulse-marshall-in-miami

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Oh he's going to Miami... for the Pro-Bowl.

bpc
01-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Yes please. I think Miami has the draft position right after us at #11, correct?

cousinal11
01-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Yes please. I think Miami has the draft position right after us at #11, correct?

Aren't we and Jax #10 and #11, which TBD by a coin flip?

Maybe Miami is #12?

barryr
01-13-2010, 05:25 AM
If Miami offers that 1st rounder, the Broncos should take that immediately. Let Miami worry about if Marshall is going to show up to play every Sunday while collecting the big checks and has no more incentive in that regard.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 05:39 AM
People keep assuming Marshall isn't going to give a **** if he gets paid. The man is a greedy **** but if he gets his $$$ I see him turning his attention towards playing football to be the best ever.

All this has EVER been about is $$$. Nothing more, nothing less. If he gets paid by us or whoever he's going to be a great player. The only concern anyone should have is off the field stuff.

Do you all honestly believe a 1st round pick is going to = what Marshall brings to the team on the field? There's no guarantee that pick will even be good let alone an All-Pro. It's just dumb.

The Joker
01-13-2010, 05:47 AM
People keep assuming Marshall isn't going to give a **** if he gets paid. The man is a greedy **** but if he gets his $$$ I see him turning his attention towards playing football to be the best ever.

All this has EVER been about is $$$. Nothing more, nothing less. If he gets paid by us or whoever he's going to be a great player. The only concern anyone should have is off the field stuff.

You may be right, but generally the ones who really, really want to be great just focus on that and let the money come when it will.

My big worry would be that once he gets paid, will the issues with exaggerating injuries become more frequent? Will we start seeing him bail out of tough catches in traffic? How much of an eye will he be keeping on his roster bonuses for future years?

It's a real shame, because if he really, really wanted it... he could be one of the best ever.

bpc
01-13-2010, 05:52 AM
People can choose to look at it several ways. I think the leverage of a contract is what has been keeping him out of trouble, and even in that situation he's still doing truly stupid things... see training camp and dogging it to end the season.

I respect BMarsh's ability but he won't be a truly great WR because he has holes in his game, namely, his deep game is suspect and he doesn't get much separation with his routes. He also has his share of drops.

jhns
01-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Marshall has produced every time he has stepped on the field. I like how all the concern is that he won't play. Where does that come from? The closest thing to that, that I can see happening, is he won't play for McDaniels. If he signs a contract, I have no doubt he will produce. It is about money but it is more about fame to most of these guys. He won't be nearly as well known if he stops producing in his 5th year. Just look at TO, he has produced everywhere and has been paid a lot. As for the injuries, I would love for someone, even McD, to prove his injuries are nothing. Are we supposed to trust the team doctors that are known for not finding injuries, which has resulted in far worse ones?

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Marshall has produced every time he has stepped on the field. I like how all the concern is that he won't play. Where does that come from? The closest thing to that, that I can see happening, is he won't play for McDaniels. If he signs a contract, I have no doubt he will produce. It is about money but it is more about fame to most of these guys. He won't be nearly as well known if he stops producing in his 5th year. Just look at TO, he has produced everywhere and has been paid a lot. As for the injuries, I would love for someone, even McD, to prove his injuries are nothing. Are we supposed to trust the team doctors that are known for not finding injuries, which has resulted in far worse ones?

it wasn't just McDaniel's....he did it for Shanahan as well.

jhns
01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
it wasn't just McDaniel's....he did it for Shanahan as well.

When did he not play for Shanhan?

Edit: Nvm, you must be talking about when Shanahan called him out for not having an injury because our medical staff didn't find anything. I don't get why though. He played through that injury and then had to have surgery on his hip in the offseason for the injury that didn't exist.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
When did he not play for Shanhan?

Shanahan and Cutler called him out several times.....at that time nitwits like Josina Anderson didn't have grudges against the team and didn't leak it.

Wabbit and I have a bunch of conversations about Marshall and his attitude the last few years. Remember the one about him getting into the argument with the WR coach and begging him to be traded/cut?

A leopard doesn't change their spots....

jhns
01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Shanahan and Cutler called him out several times.....at that time nitwits like Josina Anderson didn't have grudges against the team and didn't leak it.

Wabbit and I have a bunch of conversations about Marshall and his attitude the last few years. Remember the one about him getting into the argument with the WR coach and begging him to be traded/cut?

Umm, they called him out for off field issues, not for not playing. They called him out for an injury our staff said wasn't there but he needed surgery for the next offseason. Great examples.

As for the receiver coach thing, that was a rumor. Even if it is true, what does it have to do with his play? Did Plummer not play because him and Shanahan were constantly fighting? I don't get it.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Umm, they called him out for off field issues, not for not playing. They called him out for an injury our staff said wasn't there but he needed surgery for the next offseason. Great examples.

As for the receiver coach thing, that was a rumor. Even if it is true, what does it have to do with his play? Did Plummer not play because him and Shanahan were constantly fighting? I don't get it.

wasn't a rumor....Wabbit confirmed it.

He was called out for his play constantly, just because you don't read it on a message board, doesn't make it true.

I trust what Wabbit said over mostly a gremlin like Josina Anderson writes and you all lap it up.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2010, 06:51 AM

You know, I'd actually completely blocked that from my memory, as have many folks here, I'll bet.

Rep.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Also, jhns, you apparently get to choose what rumors you think are true, and those which you think are not true. That's weak.

The yelling at the WR coach thing was reported in PFT, which (as much as I hate to admit it) is still about 50x the integrity of Josina Anderson, who you choose to believe on the minute, incomplete bull**** she spouts.

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
You may be right, but generally the ones who really, really want to be great just focus on that and let the money come when it will.

My big worry would be that once he gets paid, will the issues with exaggerating injuries become more frequent? Will we start seeing him bail out of tough catches in traffic? How much of an eye will he be keeping on his roster bonuses for future years?

It's a real shame, because if he really, really wanted it... he could be one of the best ever.

I agree with all this and will add two things:
1) He is still only 1 incident away from a 4 - 8 game suspension. Nobody helps you win if they aren't on the field. Call me skeptical, but I still don't think he's learned his lesson there.
2) I find it hard to argue with the notion that he's a cancer and a child. It's pretty evident that the veterans in the locker room were fed up with him. If that's the case, what kind of leader is going to be for young players coming in?

The bottom line is the guy is not worth the head ache, particularly at the position he plays. No there are no guarantees we will get a player as good as him if we trade for a first round pick. BUT, that's only one side of the story. We also won't have to lock ourselves into a $60M contract with a guy we don't trust. And we got 300+ catches and 2 Pro Bowls out of a 4th round pick. If we get a first round pick as well, that's a hell of a return on that 4th round pick.

jhns
01-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Also, jhns, you apparently get to choose what rumors you think are true, and those which you think are not true. That's weak.

The yelling at the WR coach thing was reported in PFT, which (as much as I hate to admit it) is still about 50x the integrity of Josina Anderson, who you choose to believe on the minute, incomplete bull**** she spouts.

What rumors am I believing? Neither of those sources are good. What did I take from either? The only person I even begin listening to rumors from is Shefter.

Also, yes, I do get to chose which rumors I think are true. Are you thinking someone else gets to make that decision for me?

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 06:59 AM
What rumors am I believing? Neither of those sources are good. What did I take from either?

How is something Wabbit confirmed not a good source.....

bpc
01-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Ray, i don't think some of the new people know Wabbit.

jhns
01-13-2010, 07:04 AM
How is something Wabbit confirmed not a good source.....

OK, fine. If it is true, why does it matter? Plummer used to yell at the head coach a ton. When did Marshall not give his all on the field because of a dispute with the receiver coach? When did he not play because of this? That is the issue that was being discussed when you brought it up. 100+ catches each season say that this yelling and injury talk didn't mess with his play. You guys use an injury that he played through and needed surgery on as an example of him not playing for Shanahan. I don't follow anything you are saying.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
OK, fine. If it is true, why does it matter? Plummer used to yell at the head coach a ton. When did Marshall not give his all on the field because of a dispute with the receiver coach? When did he not play because of this? That is the issue that was being discussed when you brought it up. 100+ catches each season say that this yelling and injury talk didn't mess with his play. You guys use an injury that he played through and needed surgery on as an example of him not playing for Shanahan. I don't follow anything you are saying.

Not terribly surprising, but you're missing the point.

It's a history of behavior, not necessarily pertaining to on-field performance. Threatening that you want a trade -- TWICE in TWO SEASONS -- says something about you as a professional.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't get it. I must be the only one who thinks a known Marshall is more valuable then an unknown first round pick.

jhns
01-13-2010, 07:13 AM

It's a history of behavior, not necessarily pertaining to on-field performance. Threatening that you want a trade -- TWICE in TWO SEASONS -- says something about you as a professional.

Well that is an entirely different concern. I only addressed this "he won't play when he gets a contract" talk. There are very legitimate concerns with Marshall but that one is made up and is going off of nothing. Shanahan and Cutler NEVER called Marshall out for not playing. They called him out for off the field issues. The one time Shanny did call him out for an injury that wasn't there(like McD), he played through the injury and ended up needing surgery.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't get it. I must be the only one who thinks a known Marshall is more valuable then an unknown first round pick.

There's zero question that a known quantity is more valuable than an unknown quantity. But if it's going to be drama drama drama all the time, distractions all over the place with Marshall...

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward.

And for the record, I'm not pro-trade of Marshall. I'd love to see him here. But I do worry about his head.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:17 AM

The guy wants to be paid for his production. He has no other leverage then to demand a trade. His play style puts him in the way for injury then most recievers ....... if he blows his knee out do you think he ever get that one big paycheck that all NFL players look for? No.

Why everyone automaticly takes the side of the coach and front office is beyond me. Your not paying the guy to be a saint your paying him to catch a football and stiff arm people ...... and he's one of the best in the league at doing those things.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Well that is an entirely different concern. I only addressed this "he won't play when he gets a contract" talk. There are very legitimate concerns with Marshall but that one is made up and is going off of nothing. Shanahan and Cutler NEVER called Marshall out for not playing. They called him out for off the field issues. The one time Shanny did call him out for an injury that wasn't there(like McD), he played through the injury and ended up needing surgery.

In public....no

That fact that you had the team captains sick of Marshall and requested the benching says enough. Cutler and Marshall are not buddy buddy and one of the reasons was Brandon's less than stellar work ethic.

And Yes, I would so trade Marshall for a high pick if it meant getting him off the team. He is similar to Terry Glenn....a great player but not worth the trouble....

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
The guy wants to be paid for his production. He has no other leverage then to demand a trade. His play style puts him in the way for injury then most recievers ....... if he blows his knee out do you think he ever get that one big paycheck that all NFL players look for? No.

Why everyone automaticly takes the side of the coach and front office is beyond me. Your not paying the guy to be a saint your paying him to catch a football and stiff arm people ...... and he's one of the best in the league at doing those things.

simple....you look at players like Jennings, White last year, or any other wideout in the last year of a contract. They play to win, not for a contract. Marshall quit on the team because he wasn't getting paid, do you reward that?

You reward hard work and effort, not expectations....

Meck77
01-13-2010, 07:23 AM
People can choose to look at it several ways. I think the leverage of a contract is what has been keeping him out of trouble, and even in that situation he's still doing truly stupid things... see training camp and dogging it to end the season.

Marshall has earned a pay check somewhere whether it be for the Broncos or elsewhere. The question I have is can he handle having 20M duckets burning a hole in his account? One false move, one big party, one late night on the town and he's riding pine for someone most of the season. There is real risk here.

jhns
01-13-2010, 07:23 AM
In public....no

That fact that you had the team captains sick of Marshall and requested the benching says enough. Cutler and Marshall are not buddy buddy and one of the reasons was Brandon's less than stellar work ethic.

And Yes, I would so trade Marshall for a high pick if it meant getting him off the team. He is similar to Terry Glenn....a great player but not worth the trouble....

Who said the veterans said something about Marshall? Hillis was snitched on for saying he wanted the season over and was benched. How do you know they didn't talk about him or just in general say they wanted accountab ility. Marshall wasn't benched until after that when he showed up late for rehab. I don't get why you guys make up these conspiracy theories and then use them as proof of something.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
In public....no

This is just flat out not true. The article your refering to goes out of its way to say that nobody was singled out by the caps. The day after they had that conversation with Mcd Marsh showed up late to therapy session.

and for the record Marshall is much better then Terry glenn.

If you think for a second the caps didn't want marsh on the field for week 17 your nuts.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
simple....you look at players like Jennings, White last year, or any other wideout in the last year of a contract. They play to win, not for a contract. Marshall quit on the team because he wasn't getting paid, do you reward that?

You reward hard work and effort, not expectations....

You don't have any idea what went down with white or jennings ..... their coaches choose not to make it a public issue through the media.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 07:33 AM
This is just flat out not true. The article your refering to goes out of its way to say that nobody was singled out by the caps. The day after they had that conversation with Mcd Marsh showed up late to therapy session.

and for the record Marshall is much better then Terry glenn.

If you think for a second the caps didn't want marsh on the field for week 17 your nuts.

Brandon Marshall apparently picked the wrong time to be late.

According to several team sources, here’s the backdrop to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels deciding to bench Marshall for the regular-season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

After the Broncos suffered a difficult 30-27 loss last Sunday at Philadelphia, several Denver veteran players _ including Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Daniel Graham, Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton _ met with McDaniels. Those players communicated the message that this was a team loaded with veterans who felt a sense of urgency regarding their chance to make the playoffs. Sensing the danger in letting this season slip away despite a 6-0 start, the veterans urged McDaniels to stress accountability to the team in this final week.

The veterans did not specifically mention Marshall. But four days later, on Friday, Marshall showed up late for treatment on a sore hamstring. Given the veterans’ message on accountability, McDaniels felt he had no choice but to de-activate Marshall.

When asked specifically whether Marshall had missed treatment when asked about it during his press conference Friday, McDaniels said, ”no.” Which was true, although McDaniels did not volunteer the information that Marshall was late.

this + insider knowledge = my conclusion....do I need to spell out and give you my source for you to understand?

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Brandon Marshall apparently picked the wrong time to be late.

According to several team sources, here’s the backdrop to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels deciding to bench Marshall for the regular-season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

After the Broncos suffered a difficult 30-27 loss last Sunday at Philadelphia, several Denver veteran players _ including Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Daniel Graham, Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton _ met with McDaniels. Those players communicated the message that this was a team loaded with veterans who felt a sense of urgency regarding their chance to make the playoffs. Sensing the danger in letting this season slip away despite a 6-0 start, the veterans urged McDaniels to stress accountability to the team in this final week.

The veterans did not specifically mention Marshall. But four days later, on Friday, Marshall showed up late for treatment on a sore hamstring. Given the veterans’ message on accountability, McDaniels felt he had no choice but to de-activate Marshall.

When asked specifically whether Marshall had missed treatment when asked about it during his press conference Friday, McDaniels said, ”no.” Which was true, although McDaniels did not volunteer the information that Marshall was late.

this + insider knowledge = my conclusion....do I need to spell out and give you my source for you to understand?

whatever .... the guy didn't miss a meeting, a practice or a walkthrough .... he was 15 minutes late to get stretched out for a hammy. Why not sit him for the first quarter or fine him .... yeah that's worth missing the playoffs for. Good job Mcd you made your point, he had the final say as to what the punishment was ..... deactivate him for such an important game? ....... who's next for the pissing match?

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 07:39 AM
whatever .... the guy didn't miss a meeting, a practice or a walkthrough .... he was 15 minutes late to get stretched out for a hammy. Why not sit him for the first quarter or fine him .... yeah that's worth missing the playoffs for. Good job Mcd you made your point ....... who's next for the pissing match?

He missing the meeting was the final straw....Him quitting on routes and his play in general in the Oakland and Philly game were the biggest issues.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
He missing the meeting was the final straw....Him quitting on routes and [B]his play in general in the Oakland and Philly game were the biggest issues.[B]

ha ha yeah .... we lost those games due to marsh not finishing his routes ... your reaching now.

and how exactly is getting a hammy rub down now a "meeting" and how is that 15 minutes late is now "missing" something?

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
ha ha yeah .... we lost those games due to marsh not finishing his routes ... your reaching now.

and how exactly is getting a hammy rub down now a "meeting" and how is that 15 minutes late is now "missing" something?

typo....meant late.

I am not the one in denial....

Chris
01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I respect BMarsh's ability but he won't be a truly great WR because he has holes in his game, namely, his deep game is suspect and he doesn't get much separation with his routes. He also has his share of drops.

Couldn't have said it better.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
You can say alot about Brandon, but I dont know how you accuse a guy who caught 100 balls for three straight years of not showing up on sundays. Some revisionist history goin on there

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Couldn't have said it better.

I'll agree dude has issues I just don't feel good about going into a season with Orton, Royal and Gaff as the main offense.

Let's also be fair and add that Mcd didn't exactly ask mashall to go deep with the bubble offense. That and You have to admit that Orton tosses a horrible deep ball.

I'm open to not having marsh here but how exactly do you replace his production?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
I'll agree dude has issues I just don't feel good about going into a season with Orton, Royal and Gaff as the main offense.

Let's also be fair and add that Mcd didn't exactly ask mashall to go deep with the bubble offense. That and You have to admit that Orton tosses a horrible deep ball.

I'm open to not having marsh here but how exactly do you replace his production?

If you replace it, replace it with defense. I will be pretty ticked if they trade marshall for a 1st rounder and then draft another receiver.

ant1999e
01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Who said the veterans said something about Marshall? Hillis was snitched on for saying he wanted the season over and was benched. How do you know they didn't talk about him or just in general say they wanted accountab ility. Marshall wasn't benched until after that when he showed up late for rehab. I don't get why you guys make up these conspiracy theories and then use them as proof of something.

Have you been under a rock the last month? Hillis wasn't benched, that was Scheffler. It was revealed that the team captains met with Mcdaniels about Marshall. Marshall wasn't benched until after he made the pro bowl, after he told the coach he wouldn't play because he was hurt, after the team docs found nothing wrong and after he was late for rehab.

bpc
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
You can say alot about Brandon, but I dont know how you accuse a guy who caught 100 balls for three straight years of not showing up on sundays. Some revisionist history goin on there

I don't think people are saying that. Most say he has great potential on offense in a possession style role. With that though, you get a fair amount of baggage with it.

I'm not about giving away guys, however, a high 1st round pick, and a 3rd, isn't really giving him away in my opinion to the Dolphins. Those are valuable picks in a deep draft.

bpc
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
If you replace it, replace it with defense. I will be pretty ticked if they trade marshall for a 1st rounder and then draft another receiver.

I think the value of this draft is the fact that there are a bunch of quality WR's who are going to slip into the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We could use that 1st round pick to bolster a defense, and make that the basis for our team moving forward and use value picks later on to build up the system on offense.

I'm a big Golden Tate fan. Demarius Thomas reminds me a lot of Javon Walker. I also think Mardy Gilliyard is going to be a stud in an offense like this on the NFL level.

DenverBroncosJM
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I hope they trade/sign BM asap. Can you imagine another 6 months of this?

SportinOne
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Why do we keep talking about trading him? He's an unrestricted free agent, so if another team wants him we get a 1st and a 3rd for him. If that's as low as it gets, that's not bad. Open up the bidding, see if anyone can beat that, and send him off.

We need to accept that if Orton is the guy here then we are not going to win anything big any time soon. So why not trade off guys like Brandon to make the rebuilding process faster.

broncswin
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
whatever .... the guy didn't miss a meeting, a practice or a walkthrough .... he was 15 minutes late to get stretched out for a hammy. Why not sit him for the first quarter or fine him .... yeah that's worth missing the playoffs for. Good job Mcd you made your point, he had the final say as to what the punishment was ..... deactivate him for such an important game? ....... who's next for the pissing match?

You say him not finishing his routes wasn't important in the losses, yet us benching him was why we didn't make the playoffs?? Look I think Marsh is an outstanding player, but I think the negatives out weigh the positives with this guy, will we find a better player with the picks we get from the trade, maybe not, but I think in the long run it will be a much better value both money wise and team improvement wise for the team

TailgateNut
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Have you been under a rock the last month? Hillis wasn't benched, that was Scheffler. It was revealed that the team captains met with Mcdaniels about Marshall. Marshall wasn't benched until after he made the pro bowl, after he told the coach he wouldn't play because he was hurt, after the team docs found nothing wrong and after he was late for rehab.

He just hasn't read the latest book. :~ohyah!:

jhns
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM

It was Sheffler, I'm not sure why I said Hillis. He is probably on the brain from being talked about constantly. Anyways, it was never once revealed that the veterans talked about Marshall. The only people that revealed that information were the conspiracy theory nuts on here. So no, I haven't been under a rock. I just had a name wrong and don't believe all the conspiracy theories made up on message boards.

jhns
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
We need to accept that if Orton is the guy here then we are not going to win anything big any time soon. So why not trade off guys like Brandon to make the rebuilding process faster.

I'm just wondering how giving away some of our best talent will make the rebuild faster. Isn't the point of rebuilding to gain talent? How does getting less talented accomplish that?

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
It was Sheffler, I'm not sure why I said Hillis. He is probably on the brain from being talked about constantly. Anyways, it was never once revealed that the veterans talked about Marshall. The only people that revealed that information were the conspiracy theory nuts on here. So no, I haven't been under a rock. I just had a name wrong and don't believe all the conspiracy theories made up on message boards.

yeah, conspiracy theory....I am not outing my source but they have always been 100% on point.

jhns
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah, conspiracy theory....I am not outing my source but they have always been 100% on point.

Sure sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Would we even know the source? If not, you would get the same responses even if you did name them. If so, you would get the same responses until that known guy was the one saying it.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Sure sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Would we even know the source? If not, you would get the same responses even if you did name them. If so, you would get the same responses until that known guy was the one saying it.

Hey it doesn't matter what you think, it is not a conspiracy, it is a fact.

jhns
01-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey it doesn't matter what you think, it is not a conspiracy, it is a fact.

Sure it is. I have a reliable source that told me alien bodies are being kept in area 51. It is a fact now.

BroncoMan4ever
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM

exactly. look at this year alone. Doom wants to be one of the greatest sack artists ever, not one peep out of him about money. he came to work got the job done and is now in line for a major payday here or elsewhere because teams are not afraid to pull the trigger on getting a guy like that, who came to work with a rokie 4th round contract when he was easily giving 1st round numbers.

past receivers. look at some of the best of the last decade. i don't recall hearing anything about Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, or Rod Smith bitching about money. they came in did their jobs and the franchise took care of them because of that, because they knew that football wasn't just about those guys getting paid but that these guys went hard because they loved the game regardless of the money.

Marshall is showing more and more all he wants is MONEY.

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
exactly. look at this year alone. Doom wants to be one of the greatest sack artists ever, not one peep out of him about money. he came to work got the job done and is now in line for a major payday here or elsewhere because teams are not afraid to pull the trigger on getting a guy like that, who came to work with a rokie 4th round contract when he was easily giving 1st round numbers.

past receivers. look at some of the best of the last decade. i don't recall hearing anything about Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, or Rod Smith b****ing about money. they came in did their jobs and the franchise took care of them because of that, because they knew that football wasn't just about those guys getting paid but that these guys went hard because they loved the game regardless of the money.

Marshall is showing more and more all he wants is MONEY.

Doom isn't bitching cause really he had 1 good season vs. Marshalls 3 in a row.
If doom had another year like this next year he'd be chirpin.

Reggie Wayne was taken care of Wayyyyy before his contract was close to up same with Marvin (who wouldn't come back to be a "team" guy for less money) Andre Johnson had a monster contract coming out of the draft as did rice. Rod Smith is just pure class no argument.

Your fooling yourself if you think that all those players would be bitching if they were in Marshalls situation. Someone can find the numbers but I believe Marshall is not even in the top 20 at his position pay wise.

Bottom line is they all want the money ...... some franchises like to take care of contract situations in house not through the media.

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Doom isn't b****ing cause really he had 1 good season vs. Marshalls 3 in a row.

Reggie Wayne was taken care of Wayyyyy before his contract was close to up same with Marvin (who wouldn't come back to be a "team" guy for less money) Andre Johnson had a monster contract coming out of the draft as did rice. Rod Smith is just pure class no argument.

Bottom line is they all want the money ...... some franchises like to take care of contract situations in house not through the media.

at the point they got their new contracts, had any of the players above:
1. Been suspended
2. Arrested on multiple occasions
3. Displayed a history of abuse
4. Almost ended their career with a TV?

Bad comparison.

gyldenlove
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Your fooling yourself if you think that all those players would be b****ing if they were in Marshalls situation. Someone can find the numbers but I believe Marshall is not even in the top 20 at his position pay wise.

Anquan Boldin, Deion Branch, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Torry Holt are among current wide recievers who have publicly complained about their contract status. This is not an isolated phenomenon, recievers rarely get more than 1 big contract in their career because of the short shelf life of the position and the dependence on other players to achieve greatness.

Pony Boy
01-13-2010, 11:36 AM
1. Been suspended

Bad comparison.

Jerry Rice, played in 303 games and only missed 10 regular season games and 7 were in one year. He was known for his ......

1. endurance and dedication to the game
2. work ethic
3. team leadership
4. precise route running
5. blocking
6. dedication to conditioning

Whitch of these qualities does Brandon Marshall's have that would put him on the same level with a Rice or Fitzgerald, yes he has talent but he's trouble down the road.

Popps
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Yea, and if Marshall had his physical skills and Rod Smith's attitude... he's already be locked up with a big contract.

Instead, he's been somewhere between a prodigy and a turd through his career, so teams are going to tread lightly.

Doom will be getting an extension this off-season. I guarantee it. He's earned it.

BroncoMan4ever
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Your fooling yourself if you think that all those players would be b****ing if they were in Marshalls situation. Someone can find the numbers but I believe Marshall is not even in the top 20 at his position pay wise.

Doom over the course of his 4 years has established himself as a borderline elite pass rusher. even before this season his production rivaled guys like Jared Allen and the number 1 overall pick in his draft Mario Williams. he could have easily been b****ing for a new deal and he would have been right to ask for it, seeing as he has vastly outperformed his rookie deal and without the headaches and maturity questions of Marshall.

also in the cases of Wayne, Johnson, and Rice, how many of them had been arrested something like 10 times since college after 3 years in the NFL? how many had been given league mandated suspensions and then a team suspension? how many of them are in a situation where a mistake can lead to a full year suspension from the league?

none of them. truth is if Marshall had his skills with any of those guys attitudes, he would be the highest paid receiver in the NFL right now.

24champ
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Marshall overstayed his welcome here in Denver...change of scenery is needed for him and the Broncos need to move on.

Trade Marshall to the highest bidder... don't care whether that nets us a bag of footballs or a 1st round pick. We have bigger issues to address.

OBF1
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
is it lunch time yet???

JPEZ
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Did Josina "JoJo" Anderson confirm this?

brother love
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Do you all honestly believe a 1st round pick is going to = what Marshall brings to the team on the field? There's no guarantee that pick will even be good let alone an All-Pro. It's just dumb.

All Shaun Alexander wanted was to get paid and after he did he definately didn't turn his focus to being the best football player ever!

kamakazi_kal
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
All Shaun Alexander wanted was to get paid and after he did he definately didn't turn his focus to being the best football player ever!

Alexander was a product of that offensive line. He got paid and two of their best lineman left as FA and one retired .... that was all she wrote.

Bronco Yoda
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I see no way that McD keeps Marshall at this point. I just hope we get something good for him.

NYBronco
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Marshall has earned a pay check somewhere whether it be for the Broncos or elsewhere. The question I have is can he handle having 20M duckets burning a hole in his account? One false move, one big party, one late night on the town and he's riding pine for someone most of the season. There is real risk here.

I agree, I believe the new money in BM's future will only create more problems. He's shown his colors and its time the Broncos set him free.
Enough of the distractions for this team in rebuild mode.

Donk
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
1. Been suspended

Bad comparison.

Yes Rod Smith

Ray Finkle
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Yes Rod Smith

when was Rod Smith suspended, arrested, and fell into a TV?

gyldenlove
01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Jerry Rice, played in 303 games and only missed 10 regular season games and 7 were in one year. He was known for his ......

1. endurance and dedication to the game
2. work ethic
3. team leadership
4. precise route running
5. blocking
6. dedication to conditioning

Whitch of these qualities does Brandon Marshall's have that would put him on the same level with a Rice or Fitzgerald, yes he has talent but he's trouble down the road.

1. Marshall played an entire season with a hip injury that needed serious surgery, that qualifies as endurance.
2. Worked in offseason camp in Atlanta with Cutler in 08 and 09 during February and March, worked in offseason camp with Fitzgerald and others during 09 offseason. That is a better work ethic than many.
3. Nowhere near Rice but on par with Fitzgerald, neither is a significant leader or vocal player.
4. Behind both.
5. Better than Fitzgerald.
6. Considering Fitzgerald and Marshall trained together in the offseason you would have to call this a tie.

I think that qualifies him nicely on par with Fitzgerald.

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Marshall actually admitted during his visit with Fitz that he wasn't anywhere near where Fitz was in terms of conditioning, etc.