PDA

View Full Version : Ten worst blown coverages in Super Bowls

Bronco Rob
01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Ten worst blown coverages in Super Bowls

Posted Jan. 11, 2010 @ 9:21 a.m.
By Bob McGinn

First in a series of 10 Super Bowl top-10 lists excerpted from "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" by Bob McGinn.

1. Eddie Brown, S, Rams, XIV: The Rams were leading the favored Steelers, 19-17, early in the fourth quarter and had them in a third-and-8 hole at their 27. Brown took the blame for leaving the middle of the field and giving WR John Stallworth room to haul in a 73-yard touchdown pass from Terry Bradshaw.

2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Cardinals, XLIII: In the final minute, Rodgers-Cromartie short-circuited and vacated the left corner of the endzone, but Steelers WR Santonio Holmes dropped the ball. On the very next play, the rookie made an even more egregious error and left Holmes open again. This time, Holmes made the game-winning catch.

3. Danieal Manning, FS, Bears, XLI: On third and 10 with the Bears up, 6-0, Manning surged forward in man coverage on TE Ben Utecht when everyone else was correctly playing zone. That enabled WR Reggie Wayne to be wide open deep for a 53-yard touchdown pass from Peyton Manning.

4. Aaron Kyle, CB, Cowboys, XIII: Kyle lined up across from John Stallworth to take an outside release when his help from FS Cliff Harris was sitting inside. Harris had no chance to get over, and the result was a 28-yard touchdown.

5. Shaun Williams, FS, Giants, XXXV: On second and 7 in a scoreless first quarter, Williams was supposed to help CB Jason Sehorn double-cover WR Brandon Stokley in the slot. When Williams jumped TE Shannon Sharpe, Stokley was wide open for a 38-yard touchdown pass from Trent Dilfer.

6. Etric Pruitt, FS, Seahawks, XL: Early in the fourth quarter and Pittsburgh leading 14-10, WR Antwaan Randle El moved from left to right and then threw deep to Hines Ward. Pruitt, an injury fill-in, had no clue and let Ward cross his face flying in the other direction. Ward's 43-yard touchdown catch completed the scoring.

7. Kent McCloughan, CB, and Rodger Bird, S, Raiders, II: Early in the second quarter, Boyd Dowler ran a quick post, caught Bart Starr's pass 20 yards downfield, and strode in for a 62-yard touchdown. The plan was to switch off the coverage, but neither McCloughan nor Bird played it properly.

8. Ricky Manning Jr., CB, Panthers, XXXVIII: With the score tied at 29, the Patriots had the ball at the Carolina 40 with 14 seconds left. On the right side, Manning was playing Cover 2 with a receiver in front of him and another receiver, Deion Branch, behind him. Manning moved up, giving the more dangerous receiver, Branch, ample room to catch Tom Brady's pass for 17 yards. As a result, Adam Vinatieri's game-winning kick was from 41 and not 51 yards.

9. Eugene Robinson, FS, Falcons, XXXIII: Leading 10-3 with 5:07 left before halftime, the Broncos ran a deep bootleg pass off a play-action fake by John Elway. When Elway pump-faked, Robinson got turned around and was burned deep by Rod Smith for an 80-yard touchdown.

10. Bernard Jackson, FS, Broncos, XII: On third and 10 in the third quarter, the Cowboys were leading, 13-3. Roger Staubach had seen Jackson take chances and leave the middle of the field. When Jackson crept in too shallow, Butch Johnson ran by him for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ten-worst-blown-coverages-in-super-bowls

extralife
01-13-2010, 02:41 AM
how is robinson not higher? given what happened to him the night before, and the length of that TD, that play was the end of that game. he killed the falcons (not that they had a chance anyway).

Dr. Broncenstein
01-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Superbowls XXII and XXIV get no mention?

Traveler
01-13-2010, 03:33 AM
No mention of Tony Lilly? Hell, they could take several play from the Redskins SB and add to that list.

gunns
01-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Ahhh the bootleg, Denvers bread and butter.

azbroncfan
01-13-2010, 05:21 AM
With no Ted Lilly that is a very bad list. Someone needs to send him a tape of Redskin/Broncos superbowl.

Peoples Champ
01-13-2010, 06:37 AM
I dont know about #2, that was a perfect pass by roethlisberger and a great catch by holmes. Everyone says there is no defense for a perfect pass.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 06:41 AM

I do miss the bootleg. No doubt about it.

RaiderH8r
01-13-2010, 07:05 AM
how is robinson not higher? given what happened to him the night before, and the length of that TD, that play was the end of that game. he killed the falcons (not that they had a chance anyway).

The night before, the year before ("they ain't even good!"). Robinson is a joke and I fart in his general direction.

TheDave
01-13-2010, 07:17 AM
No mention of Tony Lilly? Hell, they could take several play from the Redskins SB and add to that list.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

bronco militia
01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
With no Ted Lilly that is a very bad list. Someone needs to send him a tape of Redskin/Broncos superbowl.

no doubt....Tonny Lilly and Mark Haynes could probably occupy five of the top 10 spots

TheChamp24
01-13-2010, 07:35 AM

[size=1]Posted Jan. 11, 2010 @ 9:21 a.m.
By Bob McGinn

2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Cardinals, XLIII: In the final minute, Rodgers-Cromartie short-circuited and vacated the left corner of the endzone, but Steelers WR Santonio Holmes dropped the ball. On the very next play, the rookie made an even more egregious error and left Holmes open again. This time, Holmes made the game-winning catch.

That has no business being on this list. That was a freakin perfect pass and an amazing catch. To even have it this high is stupid.

BroncoBuff
01-13-2010, 08:00 AM

No kidding ... I opened this thread guessing the over/under on Mark Haynes/Tony Lilly at two.

And what about that slant-in TD to Rice the next year? That should be in there too.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
They could put the entire Broncos/49ers SB in there under its own category.

Sassy
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
How about FOX's blown coverage of Elways play to Rod!

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM

This is weird. I saw that play in it's entirety when it happened live and the DVD of the game that Atlas burned for me has the whole play as well, but you're not the first person who said that Fox blew it.

Very odd indeed.

Smiling Assassin27
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
They could put the entire Broncos/49ers SB in there under its own category.

along with the Chargers/49ers SB.. :giggle:

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Tony Lilly... yah... um... yah...

titan
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

10. Bernard Jackson, FS, Broncos, XII: On third and 10 in the third quarter, the Cowboys were leading, 13-3. Roger Staubach had seen Jackson take chances and leave the middle of the field. When Jackson crept in too shallow, Butch Johnson ran by him for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

Maybe, but Butch dropped the ball and the ref still called it a td. Ask Steve Foley :-)

TexanBob
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
11. Fox Sports, XXXIII Coming out of commercial break, Fox was thisclose to missing Elway's' touchdown throw to Rod Smith that broke open the game with the Falcons.

12. NBC Sports, I In the first Super Bowl, televised by both NBC and CBS, the Peacock Network didn't come back from commercial fast enough to catch the second-half kickoff. So they sent word from the truck to the officials and the official agreed to re-kick it so that viewers on both networks could watch. Instant Replay, btw, was in its infancy back in those days.

==================

Those are two blown coverages in my book.

TexanBob
01-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Oh, you beat me to it! Can't get one past you, my dear.

Mogulseeker
01-13-2010, 05:03 PM

That is, before Orton.

Mogulseeker
01-13-2010, 05:05 PM
This is weird. I saw that play in it's entirety when it happened live and the DVD of the game that Atlas burned for me has the whole play as well, but you're not the first person who said that Fox blew it.

Very odd indeed.

I watched the game with family in Parker. There was a commercial, and the commercial cut a little early and all we saw was Rod waltzing into the endzone and we were like "WTF happened?"

Archer81
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Very odd indeed.

I was in PA then. The game came back on just as Elway let go of the ball. They were pretty close to missing the entire play.

:Broncos:

maher_tyler
01-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Very odd indeed.

They did...i remember the play..it was in the middle of the play when they came back on. Didn't see the whole play until they showed the re-play!

The Moops
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
How about the worst blown coverage that almost was . . . Super Bowl III, Colts run their patented flea flicker and receiver Jimmy Orr is so wide open he's waving and flapping his arms in the end zone. No one is remotely near him. Even the NBC cameras pick it up. QB Earl Morall never sees him and instead throws a ball right into double coverage for an interception...