PDA

View Full Version : Wilfork/Watson prepare for possible free agency...

Popps
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Nothing we don't know. Just something to read...

FOXBORO — As the game clock ticked down the final seconds of the Patriots season, Vince Wilfork admitted considering the possibility that he could be playing in a Patriots uniform for the last time. The end of New England’s playoff run means the beginning of the offseason for the Patriots, and the biggest question surrounding the team is what will happen to the All-Pro defensive lineman.

The 28-year-old is eligible to become a free agent next month. There is no question that he will draw interest from many teams in the NFL if he reaches the open market. Wilfork said he talked to his teammates about his situation after being eliminated from the playoffs.

“I told my teammates, I don’t know if this is the last game I play with you or not,” Wilfork said. “But if it is, man, I love you and I’m going to miss you.”

Wilfork spoke at length after the game about several topics. On the subject of his own future, the two-time Pro Bowler admitted that he can see himself putting on a different uniform next season.

“Yes, I can. I surely can,” he confirmed. “This whole process, I did what was best for my family. Family first, and it’s going to be first now.”

Wilfork has played six seasons with the Patriots and has been one of the team’s most consistent faces on the defensive side of the ball. Wilfork has played in 13 or more regular-season games all six years he’s been a Patriot. Rumors swirled before the season started that he would hold out, but he did just the opposite. Wilfork showed up to training camp on time and gave his best all year.

“I could’ve easily been sitting out and wanting my money and trying to prove a point,” Wilfork said. But that’s not me.”

Now, some believe Wilfork could get the franchise tag from the Patriots. Wilfork acknowledged that he would be very upset if the Patriots decided to lock him into the franchise tag and that he’s looking for a long-term deal.

Patriots tight end Ben Watson also is looking at free agency and says he doesn’t know if he wants to be back in New England.

“I don’t know, I’m going to wallow in this misery for a little bit and then talk to the people around me — my family, agent — and see if the Patriots organization wants to have me back,” Watson said. “And if they don’t, there’s so many different possibilities, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Wilfork and Watson are joined by many other Patriots who will be going into free agency: Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Vince Wilfork, Leigh Bodden, Logan Mankins, Derrick Burgess, Pierre Woods, Junior Seau, Gary Guyton, Stephen Gostkowski and Chris Hanson.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/01/10/wilfork-watson-look-ahead-to-free-agency/

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 11:44 PM
here ya go

Cool Breeze
01-12-2010, 11:44 PM

FOXBORO — As the game clock ticked down the final seconds of the Patriots season, Vince Wilfork admitted considering the possibility that he could be playing in a Patriots uniform for the last time. The end of New England’s playoff run means the beginning of the offseason for the Patriots, and the biggest question surrounding the team is what will happen to the All-Pro defensive lineman.

The 28-year-old is eligible to become a free agent next month. There is no question that he will draw interest from many teams in the NFL if he reaches the open market. Wilfork said he talked to his teammates about his situation after being eliminated from the playoffs.

“I told my teammates, I don’t know if this is the last game I play with you or not,” Wilfork said. “But if it is, man, I love you and I’m going to miss you.”

Wilfork spoke at length after the game about several topics. On the subject of his own future, the two-time Pro Bowler admitted that he can see himself putting on a different uniform next season.

“Yes, I can. I surely can,” he confirmed. “This whole process, I did what was best for my family. Family first, and it’s going to be first now.”

Wilfork has played six seasons with the Patriots and has been one of the team’s most consistent faces on the defensive side of the ball. Wilfork has played in 13 or more regular-season games all six years he’s been a Patriot. Rumors swirled before the season started that he would hold out, but he did just the opposite. Wilfork showed up to training camp on time and gave his best all year.

“I could’ve easily been sitting out and wanting my money and trying to prove a point,” Wilfork said. But that’s not me.”

Now, some believe Wilfork could get the franchise tag from the Patriots. Wilfork acknowledged that he would be very upset if the Patriots decided to lock him into the franchise tag and that he’s looking for a long-term deal.

Patriots tight end Ben Watson also is looking at free agency and says he doesn’t know if he wants to be back in New England.

“I don’t know, I’m going to wallow in this misery for a little bit and then talk to the people around me — my family, agent — and see if the Patriots organization wants to have me back,” Watson said. “And if they don’t, there’s so many different possibilities, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Wilfork and Watson are joined by many other Patriots who will be going into free agency: Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Vince Wilfork, Leigh Bodden, Logan Mankins, Derrick Burgess, Pierre Woods, Junior Seau, Gary Guyton, Stephen Gostkowski and Chris Hanson.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/01/10/wilfork-watson-look-ahead-to-free-agency/

I wonder if there is any relation?

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Hey Stephen Neal's an FA too, he's got to be better than Hochstein at least.

Popps
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
You guys know if Faulk walks, he'll be a Bronco... right? No way McD can resist if he's available. Would actually be a nice pick-up for a season.

DivineLegion
01-13-2010, 12:20 AM

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_10/sp_1001_03_v6.jpg

Baba Booey
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_10/sp_1001_03_v6.jpg

"He never touched us."

"Ya...ya he did so."

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:23 AM
I'd happily take either of them, Wilfork especially. Also would be happen to take Jarvis Green and Mankins off their hands if it wouldn't break the bank.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2010, 03:34 AM
We're getting rid of Scheffler so might as well get Watson... we could use a guy like Wilfork, who do we get rid of though? I don't see us tossing Fields. Baker seemed like a solid project. Does that mean we're tossing Marcus Thomas?

Plus how the hell do we afford all of this. We need to resign Doom... likely Orton as well... and potentially Marshall, on top of others.

Drek
01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
We're getting rid of Scheffler so might as well get Watson... we could use a guy like Wilfork, who do we get rid of though? I don't see us tossing Fields. Baker seemed like a solid project. Does that mean we're tossing Marcus Thomas?

Plus how the hell do we afford all of this. We need to resign Doom... likely Orton as well... and potentially Marshall, on top of others.

We've got the lowest committed payroll of any team in the league heading into 2010 if I recall, about $30M below what the salary cap would have been in a CBA year.

Doom is looking at probably around $9-$10M a year but other than that no one on the team is going to receive a top dollar contract.

Wilfork would need top DT money, but he won't get Albert Haynesworth money. Probably something in a similar price range to Doom.

We could easily afford at least one top tier FA depending on who's available. Some creative accounting could make room for two.

That or the Broncos could spread that money around and sign more value guys. It'll be interesting to see their approach.

tsiguy96
01-13-2010, 04:41 AM
wilfork woudl be an awesome signing, so would mankins. 2 huge draft needs we could sign right there.

bpc
01-13-2010, 04:44 AM
I doubt we get Wilfork, or Mankins.

Neal, and Faulk are possibilities though.

I could see Denver turning towards other FA's at other NT's, like Abrayo Franklin and possibly Casey Hampton.

cousinal11
01-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Wilfork and Mankins will be franchised I would think.

Popps
01-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Casey Hampton would be fantastic. Could Pitt actually let that guy walk?

Popps
01-13-2010, 05:22 AM

Definitely good questions. We have some people to restructure. (Champ.) If we did bring in Wilfork (which I doubt but for the sake of conversation)... I think Fields could play in rotation behind him and perhaps even at DE.

Marcus Thomas is probably on the bubble. He just never looks very good out there, which is too bad. It would be a huge boost for this team if the proverbial light would go on for him. He doesn't make much, though... so he could stay in a reserve role.

The Joker
01-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Why exactly should we sign Watson?

We have our starting TE in Graham, he's as solid as they come. We don't utilize the TE as a receiver a whole lot in the offense anyway, so why pay Watson what'll need to be a pretty decent contract to bring him in.

We spent a 2nd on Quinn, and he's had a year to get used to the NFL... so put him out there as the #2 TE and spend the money elsewhere.

Wilfork would be awesome, expect a franchise tag there though.

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 07:03 AM

The way McD has worked so far, I'll be shocked if one or two of these guys are not Broncos next year. Hopefully it's a big name like Wilfork or Mankins.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Casey Hampton would be fantastic. Could Pitt actually let that guy walk?

technically they would be letting him waddle

TheDave
01-13-2010, 07:15 AM
In an uncapped year... I refuse to believe that the Pats are dumb enough to let players like wilfork or Mankins walk.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 07:23 AM
In an uncapped year... I refuse to believe that the Pats are dumb enough to let players like wilfork or Mankins walk.

Ay, there's the rub. I doubt Robert Kraft has run out of money.

ColoradoBuff
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM

What about moving Marcus Thomas to DE?

TheDave
01-13-2010, 07:51 AM
What about moving Marcus Thomas to DE?

Marcus did play DE... at least most of the time.

...and he has a bad habbit of running around blocks.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Are you guys really that attached to Marcus Thomas?

BroncoInferno
01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't know about Wilfork, but I would be very surprised if McD doesn't make a strong push to bring in Logan Mankins at LG. I would love to add him. We obviously have a big need at LG, and with McD moving to a power man-blocking scheme Mankins would be a great fit. He is a powerful mauler, just what the interior of our line needs.

BroncoInferno
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

The Pats always plan ahead, and even though there is no cap this year there will be once a new CBA is in place. I doubt they tie up a lot of money in both. Of the two, Mankins is the one I expect to see McD make a strong push for. He was clearly frustrated with the run blocking this year and Mankins would be a great fit.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Mankins is an RFA

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM

That's a fallacy. Many are predicting the opposite will actually happen -- teams will lower their payrolls next year. Sure a few owners like Dan Snyder may spend like mad (where's that gotten him?), but the majority want to shrink the amount of money they give to the players. That's also why it will be interesting to see what happens with the all the RFA guys. Giving picks plus a "market" contract is an expensive proposition. But that may mean that if you want a guy bad enough, he could be had. Say for example, Denver decides they absolutely need Mankins to get to the next level (for argument sake), they could offer him a market contract for a OG. There's a decent chance NE would refuse to match it and take draft picks off of us instead.

New England and Pittsburgh have been notoriously frugal over the years, there is no reason to believe they'll start blowing money now. New England has the cap space now to resign Wilfork and Mankins, they are just reluctant to lock in those huge deals.

I think you may see teams do some sign and trade type situations with these RFA guys because the 1st and 3rd is too restrictive. There aren't many players worth 2 picks and a FA/market contract.

SportinOne
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I bet we get at least two of New England's free agents. Which ones, who knows. But now with Crennel and Weiss in KC it's not like we are the only ones wanting to bring in "old buddies."

azbroncfan
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I bet we get at least two of New England's free agents. Which ones, who knows. But now with Crennel and Weiss in KC it's not like we are the only ones wanting to bring in "old buddies."

GOod thing is KC has a lot of money tied up on the DL so they might wince at spending more there.

TheDave
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
That's a fallacy. Many are predicting the opposite will actually happen -- teams will lower their payrolls next year. Sure a few owners like Dan Snyder may spend like mad (where's that gotten him?), but the majority want to shrink the amount of money they give to the players. That's also why it will be interesting to see what happens with the all the RFA guys. Giving picks plus a "market" contract is an expensive proposition. But that may mean that if you want a guy bad enough, he could be had. Say for example, Denver decides they absolutely need Mankins to get to the next level (for argument sake), they could offer him a market contract for a OG. There's a decent chance NE would refuse to match it and take draft picks off of us instead.

New England and Pittsburgh have been notoriously frugal over the years, there is no reason to believe they'll start blowing money now. New England has the cap space now to resign Wilfork and Mankins, they are just reluctant to lock in those huge deals.

I think you may see teams do some sign and trade type situations with these RFA guys because the 1st and 3rd is too restrictive. There aren't many players worth 2 picks and a FA/market contract.

The'll tag Wilfork... and Mankins will cost us a 1st and 3rd to get him.

Like I said, they are not going to let these guys go.

Now on the other hand if we want adelius Thomas... he will probably be available.

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
The'll tag Wilfork... and Mankins will cost us a 1st and 3rd to get him.

Like I said, they are not going to let these guys go.

Now on the other hand if we want adelius Thomas... he will probably be available.

I'd be tempted to sign Wilfork even if they did franchise tag him.

Popps
01-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Yep. He's young enough. Definitely worth it.

Popps
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Didn't he have conduct issues last year?

Bob's your Information Minister
01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd say the Chiefs have the edge here with Pioli and Crennel. Sorry guys.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM

They should put a bid into the Browns for Jerome Harrison.

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Crennel didn't coach Mankins or Watson, and he only coached Wilfork during his rookie season. What kind of pull would he really have? None.

jhat01
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Don't kid yourself...The Virgin Mary herself could be the coach. Money talks.

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Why exactly should we sign Watson?

We have our starting TE in Graham, he's as solid as they come. We don't utilize the TE as a receiver a whole lot in the offense anyway,

Sure we do. Look at what Graham and Watson did when they were in New England.

TheDave
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Exactly...

TheDave
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM

It's tempting, look at it this way... would you trade Ayers and A Smith for Wilfork?

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
It's tempting, look at it this way... would you trade Ayers and A Smith for Wilfork?

Only if the Pats threw in a 6th to even it up. ;D

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

We couldn't "sign him" in that scenario right? The franchise tag ensures he belongs to the Pats. We could trade for him and then give him a long term deal (like they did with Cassel last year).

PRBronco
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
We couldn't "sign him" in that scenario right? The franchise tag ensures he belongs to the Pats. We could trade for him and then give him a long term deal (like they did with Cassel last year).

No you can sign someone who's been franchised, but you have to give up 2 first round picks. I'm not sure if it's ever been done, anyone remember?

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM

How does that give them and edge? The players belong to the Pats. Assuming that Pats are willing to let them go, the "edge" belongs to the highest bidder unless the Pats choose a strategically different partner. It wouldn't shock me in the least if they saw fit to ensure none of those players (at least the good ones) wind up in the AFC at all.

gyldenlove

We could sign him, we would have to hand over 2 1st round picks for the privilidge though.

bloodsunday
No you can sign someone who's been franchised, but you have to give up 2 first round picks. I'm not sure if it's ever been done, anyone remember?

Probably not, which is why I confused the two. That's a crazy price tag. Two first round picks plus a fat contract? No way.

gyldenlove
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Last year? nothing significant I think. He was a malcontent all this year including showing up late for a team meeting and then whining to the press about being punished.

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Probably not, which is why I confused the two. That's a crazy price tag. Two first round picks plus a fat contract? No way.

Aside from Clady and Champ, how many first rounders do the Broncos have on their roster that are even close to irreplaceable? I'd gladly give up the rights to the next Moss, Ayers or A. Smith for the chance to sign a known commodity like Vince Wilfork.

Popps
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Sure, but I think it's way too early to give up on either player. Ayers showed flashes of being pretty darned good last season. He had ups and downs. Smith? Who knows, but he's got the skill-set.

I agree with your point, though... there's nothing wrong with giving up a draft pick for a known commodity. The Raiders got a nice season out of Seymour. Of course, it was silly to do for a single season in their position, but if they had plans to extend him, it would have been a nice move.

TheDave
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

You wouldn't trade Alphonso smith and robert Ayers for Vince Wilfork?... Are your sure about that?

bloodsunday
01-14-2010, 11:20 AM
You wouldn't trade Alphonso smith and robert Ayers for Vince Wilfork?... Are your sure about that?

Well, technically it would be Ayers + Smith + 70M dollars.

It just seem unimaginable to me that if he's worth that much, NE wouldn't give him a new deal.

If he were to be a flop (injury, etc...), that's like having 3 first round picks bust in a row.

PRBronco
01-14-2010, 11:23 AM

It just seem unimaginable to me that if he's worth that much, NE wouldn't give him a new deal.

If he were to be a flop (injury, etc...), that's like having 3 first round picks bust in a row.

Oakland management: "Wow only 3 in a row?!"

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM

Technically, no. Whatever Wilfork signs for will be VERY close to what those two first round rookies would've cost in total.....unless of course they do actually get around to instituting that strict rookie salary cap. I doubt they do it, though.

bloodsunday
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Technically, no. Whatever Wilfork signs for will be VERY close to what those two first round rookies would've cost in total.....unless of course they do actually get around to instituting that strict rookie salary cap. I doubt they do it, though.

Not even close.

http://fantasyfootball.com/broncos-sign-cb-alphonso-smith-to-contract/

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/04/2009-nfl-rookie-signing-status.html

Ayers plus smith is only $20M total and $11M guaranteed. Even Moreno plus Ayers is only $38M with $21M guaranteed. Not only that, you are giving up whatever future you may have in those players.

Wilfork would be getting a deal closer to what Haynesworth got, which is $100M with $40M guaranteed. Even if you haircut that by 25%, your way over what we owe an entire draft class of guys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3940991

Is Wilfork good enough that by himself he can outperform 3 other players?

There is no way Denver does a deal like this. Perhaps they do a trade and sign type situation like NE and KC did for Cassel. Then Denver could do a more sensible deal like 1st and 4th round picks or something.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
bloodsunday:

Ignore the hype. Haynesworth got 4 years at $48 million. The rest is going bye bye once the poison pill year arrives. Everyone, including him, knows it.

That sounds like similar enough numbers to me when compared to Ayers and Moreno + a year of inflation.

Not to mention you are getting probowl production from DAY ONE. Not this "2 year project" stuff you are seeing with Ayers, etc.

bpc
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
We have WAY too many holes to sign Wilfork, probably forfeiting a 1st and a 3rd round pick. That would be insanely foolish. Factor in that we'll probably losing Marshall next year, we're gonna need somebody to replenish that area of talent too.

Fields is a servicable NT and he's under contract. Hampton and Abrayo Franklin are both FA's that can walk after the year as they don't hold RFA tags if i'm correct. We would be much smarter turning our attention towards those guys.

Hampton has been every bit as good as Woolfork, and has actually won more super bowls at the helm of the Steelers defense. While we would have to find a replacement soon, it wouldn't be for a couple years. That buys us more time to fill out the rest of our roster.

I would rather take that approach, bulk up Ayers and move him to one of the DE spots, and draft a guy like Corey Wootten or Tyson Alualu in the 2nd round to fill out our other DE spot.

Save the draft picks and spread the ability to build this roster during the offseason. We don't have the ability to waste the resources of three potential players through FA $$$$, and two draft choices on a two down NT. Doesn't make sense, especially when there are other good players out there.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
We have WAY too many holes to sign Wilfork, probably forfeiting a 1st and a 3rd round pick. That would be insanely foolish.

You don't fill current holes through the draft.

bpc
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Sure you do. This is the best time to play them outside of maybe a QB and DB. Throw them in the game. The best way they'll learn is trial by fire.

521 1N5
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
And all of your credibility just went bye bye.

BroncoSexyDaddy
01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I can see the broncos signing Watson to pair with Gaffney that would be a good tandem with Marshall maybe heading out.Also, i would sign Wilfork to the long term deal he wants.We would take a huge step forward if we could sign these guys.Consistancy is a must going forward!

Archer81
01-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I can see the broncos signing Watson to pair with Gaffney that would be a good tandem with Marshall maybe heading out.Also, i would sign Wilfork to the long term deal he wants.We would take a huge step forward if we could sign these guys.Consistancy is a must going forward!

Watson is a TE...

:Broncos:

ZONA
01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

I haven't seen enough progress out of Thomas to justify giving him even more time to prove he's anything but a mid level backup. I'd rather get a bigger dude in here with the same mid level talent who is the backup. At least he would eat up more space then Thomas.

gyldenlove
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
You don't fill current holes through the draft.

Tell that to Ryan Clady, he will be very disappointed.

gyldenlove
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
A tale of 2 TEs.

They are both recieving TEs.

A: Is 6-3 and 255 Lbs.
B: Is 6-5 and 250 Lbs.

A: has 2.4 catches per game to go with a 30 yard per game average and 0.3 TDs per game, 1.5 1st downs per game and 0.09 fumbles per game.
B: has 2.4 catches per game to go with a 33 yard per game average and 0.1 TDs per game, 1.6 1st downs per game and 0.04 fumbles per game.

Why would we replace player B with player A? doesn't that seem stupid.

Watson and Scheffler are virtually identical players, except Scheffler is 3 years younger and we won't have competition trying to sign him. Any team that pays more for Watson than another team pays for Scheffler is getting robbed.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Tell that to Ryan Clady, he will be very disappointed.

Using the exception to prove the rule?

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
A tale of 2 TEs.

A: has 2.4 catches per game to go with a 30 yard per game average and 0.3 TDs per game, 1.5 1st downs per game and 0.09 fumbles per game.
B: has 2.4 catches per game to go with a 33 yard per game average and 0.1 TDs per game, 1.6 1st downs per game and 0.04 fumbles per game.

Watson and Scheffler are virtually identical players, except Scheffler is 3 years younger and we won't have competition trying to sign him. Any team that pays more for Watson than another team pays for Scheffler is getting robbed.

But Watson ran down Champ Bailey in the playoffs 4 years ago!

He is easily the better player...

Cool Breeze
01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
A tale of 2 TEs.

Tell that to our long snapper.
I thought Schef's attitude was running him out of town - that and the coach...