PDA

View Full Version : Haslett, Not Slowik New DC

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/aro...e-coordinator/

I guess the love affair shanny had with slowik was overblown by our resident camp expert.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Isn't haslett a 4-3 guy?

bpc
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Shanahan will be running a 4-3.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Shanahan will be running a 4-3.

I thought he was considering a switch to a 3-4... especially with him visiting both the Pats and Steelers camps.

Guess not.

gunns
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
It appears the time off did Shanahan good.

bowtown
01-12-2010, 07:04 PM
That should be an interesting combination. Haslett has a pretty good sized ego of his own.

bpc
01-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I thought he was considering a switch to a 3-4... especially with him visiting both the Pats and Steelers camps.

Guess not.

I can only assume he took a long look at the pieces in place and decided it would be rather silly to switch to a 3-4 when the tables already set... kinda like when McDaniels came in and how he should have left the offense alone.

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Probally a hybrid until they can get the right players. It would be dumb to go 3-4 with 60 million tied up in haynesworth.

bowtown
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I can only assume he took a long look at the pieces in place and decided it would be rather silly to switch to a 3-4 when the tables already set... kinda like when McDaniels came in and how he should have left the offense alone.

Or probably walked in and ruthlessly decided to run the defense he is most familar with.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Probally a hybrid until they can get the right players. It would be dumb to go 3-4 with 60 million tied up in haynesworth.

I don't know about that... Haynesworth could be a devistating DE in a 3-4.

But with the hiring of Haslett I highly doubt they go that way.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM

I guess the love affair shanny had with slowik was overblown by our resident camp expert.

Are you of all people calling out someone for overblowing something? Serious question because it appears you are taking a shot at Kaylore when you of all people shouldn't.

oubronco
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
well hell if he wasn't going to keep Slowdyck for a DC then why the hell did he tell Bowlen he was

broncofan7
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM

Zing. Preach on! These people won't see the truth until McD is poop canned in 2011

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

But with the hiring of Haslett I highly doubt they go that way.

He ran the 3-4 with the steelers when we beat them in the afc champ game. He knows the system.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Holy ****, that's right. Good memory boss.

tsiguy96
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
they are switching to 3-4

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Are you of all people calling out someone for overblowing something? Serious question because it appears you are taking a shot at Kaylore when you of all people shouldn't.

Yes I am calling him out. Go ahead with what you need to say

TheDave
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Yep looks like he is going to a 3-4... Guess he tried hiring Romeo Crennel first.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Doesnt mean Slowick wont have a job somewhere in the Defense. First smart step by Shanny was not getting him to be DC.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Doesnt mean Slowick wont have a job somewhere in the Defense. First smart step by Shanny was not getting him to be DC.

Slowick was a good DB's coach... that will probably be his position.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes I am calling him out. Go ahead with what you need to say

I thought that was the case. Dude don't be a hypocrite.

snowspot66
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Yes. That massive high scoring offense that we completely rebuilt with a grand total of two new additions on the starting offense and upgrades at the backup spots.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes. That massive high scoring offense that we completely rebuilt with a grand total of two new additions on the starting offense and upgrades at the backup spots.

I know right that juggernaut offense that was top in yards but in the lower half of points scored.

I am still trying to figure out how yards gained add to a score. Because people here talk about how awesome that offense was.

Fact is the offense was lacking in both Shanny AND McD's scheme.

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I thought that was the case. But I can definitely say without hesitation you are being a huge hypocrite.

Have you gone to Fan Fair since you got a valuable lesson on manners? And from Cutler of all people too!

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Kaylore was just going off what Shanny himself said.

I would say my experience with Jay was a glimpse into the future and how he handled people. With your feelings on Culter how can you disagree?

My problem with kaylore was simply how he was harping on slowik as the downfall. I would state that Losing Bertrand Berry, Reggie Hayward, Trevor Pryce, The Browncos, Al Wilson,and the final nail Jim Bates wanting fat guys destroyed the interior of the team, not to be recovered for 2 to 3 years. Jim Bates killed Shanny and his job. Slowik was too late in this string of mishaps to be a factor. Being the true fan and expert he says he is, I would hope he could include the entire picture is his assesment

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I would say my experience with Jay was a glimpse into the future and how he handled people. With your feelings on Culter how can you disagree?

My problem with kaylore was simply how he was harping on slowik as the downfall. I would state that Losing Bertrand Berry, Reggie Hayward, Trevor Pryce, The Browncos, Al Wilson,and the final nail Jim Bates wanting fat guys destroyed the interior of the team, not to be recovered for 2 to 3 years. Jim Bates killed Shanny and his job. Slowik was too late in this string of mishaps to be a factor. Being the true fan and expert he says he is, I would hope he could include the entire picture is his assesment

Ok but fact is Kaylore was staunch Shanny supporter until he continued to back Slowick.

Reports said Shanny would maintain Slowick as his DC. Its not like Kaylore is going around overblowing something.

And in your case I pointed out a rare instance to make a point. I also know you were way ahead of the rest of us in your concerns. But dude we all have overblown things. No need to harp on it.

So I edited my post because I made my point.

bpc
01-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Cutler in his 2nd full season as a starter glided the offense to 370 pts, and was 4th overall in yardage.

Drew Brees in his 2nd full season as a starter IN NEW ORLEANS led their offense to 379 pts, and 4th overall in yardage.

Individual statistics:

Jay Cutler - 62.3 % completion, 4526 yds passing, 25 TD's, and 18 INT's.
Drew Brees - 67.5 % completion, 4423 yds passing, 28 TD's, and 18 INT's.

Cutler was in his 3rd season, 2nd full year as starter. Brees in this comparison was in his 7th season, 6th full year as starter.

Many would say that Brees is in the top 3 of overall QB's in the league. There's a maturation process to playing QB. Those making assumption about what Cutler WOULD be going into just his 3rd full season as a starter, are ****ing retards. Cutler's 3rd season in the league was comparable to Brees' 7th.

Just saying.

tsiguy96
01-12-2010, 08:19 PM
this is so dumb, are you guys in capable of discussing football without talking about how mcdaniels sucks?

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok but fact is Kaylore was staunch Shanny supporter until he continued to back Slowick.

Reports said Shanny would maintain Slowick as his DC. Its not like Kaylore is going around overblowing something.

And in your case I pointed out a rare instance to make a point. I also know you were way ahead of the rest of us in your concerns. But dude we all have overblown things. No need to harp on it.

So I edited my post because I made my point.

Point taken, thank you for the well thought out responce. I must admit the Shanny bashing is getting under my skin bigtime, and it shocked me coming from kaylore. Once again thank you.

Florida_Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Not really.

Shanahan had unsuccessfully tried to hire Slowik at least once that I am aware of, and when he finally got him here in 2005 he made very short order of fast tracking him into the DC spot.

Don't be surprised if that happens in Washington.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Point taken, thank you for the well thought out responce. I must admit the Shanny bashing is getting under my skin bigtime, and it shocked me coming from kaylore. Once again thank you.

No problem and I appreciate where you are coming from too. ^5

OBF1
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Yawn

Stormontheplains
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Not really.

Shanahan had unsuccessfully tried to hire Slowik at least once that I am aware of, and when he finally got him here in 2005 he made very short order of fast tracking him into the DC spot.

Don't be surprised if that happens in Washington.

With Shanny's legacy and Hall of Fame asperations, if he thought he was the best, he would be the D-Coordinator, end of story. Shanny cares more about winning and cementing himself in nfl history then giving his buddy the job. Any arguement away from this fails and fails horribly

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2010, 08:34 PM

yeah that high powered offense of ours that was rivaled only by the 2007 Patriots, Indianapolis Colts of a couple seasons prior to that, or the Minnesotta Vikings of 98 or the Denver Broncos of 98 was such a mistake he messed with that juggernaut.

jesus christ i am so sick of hearing he ruined the offense. the offense he inherited was mediocre. it just looked great when compared to the turd on defense. i mean we had the 16th ranked scoring offense the year before he took over, far from offensive greatness so many claim when they bitch about McDaniels. this season we were what 19th in scoring? not much of a difference from year to year, and the fact that the majority of our offseason revolved around overhauling the defense instead of looking to make the offense better makes it understandable that the offense didn't improve over the season before.

Florida_Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:34 PM
With Shanny's legacy and Hall of Fame asperations, if he thought he was the best, he would be the D-Coordinator, end of story. See that's the thing. Shanny was all set to bring back Slowik for 2009 despite a year and a half of horrible defense from him on top of epic failures at his three previous stops.

I honestly think Shanny has (or had) deluded himself into thinking Slowik was a worthwhile DC.

Shanny cares more about winning and cementing himself in nfl history then giving his buddy the job. Any arguement away from this fails and fails horribly Well I hate to say it but the facts say otherwise.

Regardless, he and Slowik are Washington's problem now. Both are irrelevant to our team.

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Cutler in his 2nd full season as a starter glided the offense to 370 pts, and was 4th overall in yardage.

Drew Brees in his 2nd full season as a starter IN NEW ORLEANS led their offense to 379 pts, and 4th overall in yardage.

Individual statistics:

Cutler was in his 3rd season, 2nd full year as starter. Brees in this comparison was in his 7th season, 6th full year as starter.

Many would say that Brees is in the top 3 of overall QB's in the league. There's a maturation process to playing QB. Those making assumption about what Cutler WOULD be going into just his 3rd full season as a starter, are ****ing retards. Cutler's 3rd season in the league was comparable to Brees' 7th.

Just saying.

Great. So now we can compare Cutler to freakin' Brees, but God help us if we do the same with Orton's numbers and any top tier QB earlier in their career.

chrisp
01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
See that's the thing. Shanny was all set to bring back Slowik for 2009 despite a year and a half of horrible defense from him on top of epic failures at his three previous stops.

I honestly think Shanny has (or had) deluded himself into thinking Slowik was a worthwhile DC.

Well I hate to say it but the facts say otherwise.

Regardless, he and Slowik are Washington's problem now. Both are irrelevant to our team.

I'm in two minds about this - I definitely remember Shanny saying he was bringing Slowik back shortly before he was fired. In fact, I believe there was even a modicum of speculation that that may have been the straw that broke the camel's back...

How-everrrr, Shanny had really painted himself into a corner on the DC side. Had he canned Slowik this offseason then it would have been three DCs fired in three years, which either means he was wrong to fire at least one or two of them or that he hired three bad ones on the trot....either way firing Slowick would have made Shanny look just as bad if not worse.

So it IS possible that he wanted to fire him but realised he couldn't meaning that had Shanny stayed on then Slowick would have had a year or two (ugh!) to turn it around before hitting the exit door. This also means that Shanny may now realise he isn't DC material but still wants him on his staff.....

However it is also possible that he still rates Slowick and will therefore have him pencilled in as next DC for as soon as the current guy fails to make the Washington defense #1 accross the board next year....

ColoradoDarin
01-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Good for Mike on getting Haslett, he may not be the best HC, but he's a darn good DC (maybe much like Nolan?).

barryr
01-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Oh no, even Shanahan finally came to his senses and not hiring Slowik. I wonder if anyone else will hire him as a DC anytime soon?

With Haynesworth and Orakpo, no reason or need to go to a 3-4 defense and since Shanahan's teams have never employed that as a full-time defense, even one more reason to not make such a change.

bpc
01-13-2010, 06:15 AM
yeah that high powered offense of ours that was rivaled only by the 2007 Patriots, Indianapolis Colts of a couple seasons prior to that, or the Minnesotta Vikings of 98 or the Denver Broncos of 98 was such a mistake he messed with that juggernaut.

jesus christ i am so sick of hearing he ruined the offense. the offense he inherited was mediocre. it just looked great when compared to the turd on defense. i mean we had the 16th ranked scoring offense the year before he took over, far from offensive greatness so many claim when they b**** about McDaniels. this season we were what 19th in scoring? not much of a difference from year to year, and the fact that the majority of our offseason revolved around overhauling the defense instead of looking to make the offense better makes it understandable that the offense didn't improve over the season before.

Individual statistics:

Just saying.

CHANGSTER
01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Watch Slowik get titled The Assistant head coach Defense. Chuckle

Beantown Bronco
01-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Great. Exact same post twice on the same page.

Broncos_OTM
01-13-2010, 06:32 AM

So I edited my post because I made my point.Captin Save a Kaylore. You should let Kaylore fight his own battles, makes you look gay.

bloodsunday
01-13-2010, 06:55 AM

Guess not.

I read an article yesterday on ESPN.com that suggested they are going to the 3 - 4 and that Haslett was comfortable implementing that defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4820872

LRtagger
01-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Individual statistics:

Just saying.

Who would you compare Cutler's 2009 stats to? I mean, it being his 4th season in the league and the QB position being one that requires a maturation process.

You should compare Kyle Orton's 3rd full year as a starter statistics to Jay Cutler's 3rd full year as a starter statistics and see how that turns out.

Singling out statistics to compare two players in order to fit your agenda is laughable. You are comparing a completely unreliable QB's single best season statistically to a QB who is the epitome of consistency and accuracy year in and year out for 8 straight years. Not to mention Brees has only thrown 18 INTs in a season ONCE in his 8 years as a starter. Oops Cutler has already hit that mark twice in 3 years.

Just saying.

Kaylore
01-13-2010, 07:58 AM

First of all, kiss my ass.

Second of all, I never predicted, promised, declared or whatever else that Slowick would be the DC, dickhead. Here's what I actually said:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2605758&postcount=87
Also, if the rumors are true that Shanahan is making Slowick his DC in his next stop, I'll go on record right now and say that he'll fail where he goes next and Slowick will pull him right out of the hall of fame.

There are other posts I don't care to find where I specifically say I hoped that Shanahan doesn't hire him. So once again someone is making crap up that I said and then calling me out for something that never happened. And let me say again that if he's ever the defensive coordinator the exact same thing that happened here would happen in Washington.

Third of all, you can blame Bates for the downfall of Shanahan if you want. For me it was firing Coyer which is chicken and egg stuff. Regardless, I believe Slowick undermined both Coyer and Bates by turning the players against both men to get the job as DC after which every level of the team got worse. Our tackling and our football IQ as a team was in the toilet. Whether you believe it was Bates, Shanahan or Slowick it doesn't matter. It was clear that in that three year period neither knew what they were doing and in one offseason the whole thing got better almost immediately after the last two were gone.

And lastly, I don't advertise myself as some kind of expert. I don't have any credentials and I don't tell people I know more than them. Ever. I don't know what your bitterness toward me is, or why you've decided to go personal, but I do know you're a liar and in my book that makes you a world class asshole. So consider this post for everyone else who cares and you can make more lies and cry in your pillow about waiting in lines at sporting events like a pansy to someone else who gives a crap, dickhead.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Great hire by Mike. Fact is, Mike just needed a different place to rejuvenate his career. He needed a change and the Broncos needed a change. It happens!

Mike is already doing good things in DC!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Individual statistics:

Just saying.

How'd he do this year? You Cutler **********s conveniently forget that he actually had a season this year and it wasnt all that impressive

colonelbeef
01-13-2010, 08:35 AM

He changed the QB, you know, only the single most important position in all of team sports.

colonelbeef
01-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I know right that juggernaut offense that was top in yards but in the lower half of points scored.

I am still trying to figure out how yards gained add to a score. Because people here talk about how awesome that offense was.

Fact is the offense was lacking in both Shanny AND McD's scheme.

The offensive scoring was top 12. The Team scoring was 16th. Big difference imo

azbroncfan
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Individual statistics:

Just saying.

You forgot to mention the part that Brees was never expected to be as good as he is and has big games against big opponents unlike Jay ever did here. He padded his stats in blowout games when Denver was getting pounded or blowing out a weak team. BPC should just pack it up and move his allegience to Chicago or Washington. I think he would of moved to Washington except the fathead of Cutler on his wall sucked it up this year.

SportinOne
01-13-2010, 10:05 AM

I agree completely, he is the exact type of player that you NEED (that we don't have) if your 3-4 is going to dominate.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Actually it was top 10 or near top 10 when you only considered points scored by the offense (that is not even considering the lousy starting field position they frequently had). They also were around top 10 for 3rd down conversion. That is with a bunch of young guns, a boatload of injure RBs, an offensive coordinator that didn't know the first thing about managing games. Do you even bother checking facts before parroting uninformed remarks? I guess it must feel good just letting ignorant singers fly by.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Actually it was top 10 or near top 10 when you only considered points scored by the offense (that is not even considering the lousy starting field position they frequently had). They also were around top 10 for 3rd down conversion. That is with a bunch of young guns, a boatload of injure RBs, an offensive coordinator that didn't know the first thing about managing games. Do you even bother checking facts before parroting uninformed remarks? I guess it must feel good just letting ignorant singers fly by.

Whats an ignorant singer? Someone who doesn't know the words? Just curious have never heard that term especially when trying to sound like a tough guy?

But yes I was way off and should have fact checked instead because I wrongly and foolishly exaggerated.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
The offensive scoring was top 12. The Team scoring was 16th. Big difference imo

Ok I see your point. I just looked and the stats I can access at work on yahoo show Offensive stats. They rank Denver at 16th. It doesn't have anywhere to split out offensive scoring. So thanks for pointing out my error.

Merlin
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Whats an ignorant singer?
Someone who can't spell :P

The correct spelling is zinger (and of course, I'm taking a liberty or two in its usage). ;D

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Someone who can't spell :P

The correct spelling is zinger (and of course, I'm taking a liberty or two in its usage). ;D

No worries! After I responded I had to stop and think, wait did he spell it right or am I off! Hilarious!

24champ
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
First of all, kiss my ass.

Second of all, I never predicted, promised, declared or whatever else that Slowick would be the DC, dickhead. Here's what I actually said:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2605758&postcount=87

There are other posts I don't care to find where I specifically say I hoped that Shanahan doesn't hire him. So once again someone is making crap up that I said and then calling me out for something that never happened. And let me say again that if he's ever the defensive coordinator the exact same thing that happened here would happen in Washington.

Third of all, you can blame Bates for the downfall of Shanahan if you want. For me it was firing Coyer which is chicken and egg stuff. Regardless, I believe Slowick undermined both Coyer and Bates by turning the players against both men to get the job as DC after which every level of the team got worse. Our tackling and our football IQ as a team was in the toilet. Whether you believe it was Bates, Shanahan or Slowick it doesn't matter. It was clear that in that three year period neither knew what they were doing and in one offseason the whole thing got better almost immediately after the last two were gone.

And lastly, I don't advertise myself as some kind of expert. I don't have any credentials and I don't tell people I know more than them. Ever. I don't know what your bitterness toward me is, or why you've decided to go personal, but I do know you're a liar and in my book that makes you a world class a-hole. So consider this post for everyone else who cares and you can make more lies and cry in your pillow about waiting in lines at sporting events like a pansy to someone else who gives a crap, dickhead.

I find this response a little odd, especially since you left the Mane for a bit because you couldn't handle the bickering going on here.

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I find this response a little odd, especially since you left the Mane for a bit because you couldn't handle the bickering going on here.

Like alot of us (yourself included) haven't considered doing the same thing? ???

24champ
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Like alot of us (yourself included) haven't considered doing the same thing? ???

Do I have some complaints about the Mane, sure. But I am not going to complain and then contribute to the same problem.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Might have just got Kaylore having a bad day. But its not like he complained and has been bashing everyone like that since. This seems to be an anomoly not a trend.

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Might have just got Kaylore having a bad day. But its not like he complained and has been bashing everyone like that since. This seems to be an anomoly not a trend.

I understand where Kaylore is coming from. People twist his words or flat out dream up things he said and then use that same disinformation to attempt to discredit him. For someone who has made a commitment to providing training camp coverage for so many years now, I'm sure that has to be aggravating to no end.

Crushaholic
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Kaylore was far from the only one who assumed that Shanahan and Slowik were joined at the hip...

NYBronco
01-13-2010, 02:45 PM

McD fortunately had the insight on Culter before handing over 50 million and being forced to build an offense around the "franchise".

elsid13
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

They are talking about a move to the 3/4 on the radio here. Question remains where will Haynesworth play. I think that Shanahan wants a hybrid like Az/Balt plays.

Broncos_OTM
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
They are talking about a move to the 3/4 on the radio here. Question remains where will Haynesworth play. I think that Shanahan wants a hybrid like Az/Balt plays. Shanny did try and switch to it after Bates. I think i remember something about it. We just didnt have the personel to run it.

watermock
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM

Wow. Isn't he he married?

Popps
01-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Yea, McDaniels should have run someone else's playbook that he was unfamiliar with instead of implementing an offense that had helped him win a Superbowl.

Sort of like Shanahan. I remember when he came to town and just kept everything the way Wade Phillips had it.

::)

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow. Isn't he he married?

Um yeah he is Mock. But this is not a wedding site. Its a football site, try to keep up.

Stormontheplains
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Yea, McDaniels should have run someone else's playbook that he was unfamiliar with instead of implementing an offense that had helped him win a Superbowl.

Sort of like Shanahan. I remember when he came to town and just kept everything the way Wade Phillips had it.

::)

Mcdaniels never won a super bowl with his system. They system used was Fat Bastards, infact after Mcd took over the running production went down. He went 16-0, scored an high amount of points, broke records, got to the superbowl and rushed for 40 yards with HIS power running game. Mcd has issues with understanding how the running game is part of an offense.

Super Bowl Won 28 rush 112 yards 33 passes(Wiess)
Mcd Loss 16 rush 45 Yards 48 Passes(This game was lower scoring)

He has alot to learn

Florida_Bronco
01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Mcdaniels never won a super bowl with his system. They system used was Fat Bastards Weis and McDaniels both use the Earhart-Perkins system. Josh made some pretty substantial changes to the offense once he was calling the plays and had alot of success to show for it.

infact after Mcd took over the running production went down. He went 16-0, scored an high amount of points, broke records, got to the superbowl and rushed for 40 yards with HIS power running game. Mcd has issues with understanding how the running game is part of an offense. It doesn't have to do with understanding. It has to do with the fact that the offense was much more wide open after Josh took over. That can be attributed to guys like Moss and Welker giving them that dimension as well as Maroney basically turning into a bust.

Stormontheplains
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Wies is 3-0 in superbowls calling the plays, Mcdaniels is 0-1. Mcdaniels had Randy Moss and Welker, still lossed. Wies won with a broken down Corey Dillon running the ball and average recievers, so who got better use of the Earhart-Perkins system?

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Mcdaniels never won a super bowl with his system. They system used was Fat Bastards, infact after Mcd took over the running production went down. He went 16-0, scored an high amount of points, broke records, got to the superbowl and rushed for 40 yards with HIS power running game. Mcd has issues with understanding how the running game is part of an offense.

Super Bowl Won 28 rush 112 yards 33 passes(Wiess)
Mcd Loss 16 rush 45 Yards 48 Passes(This game was lower scoring)

He has alot to learn

Wait Shanny was hired on as the HC after he won his first SB as the man in charge? I could have swore that he got fired in Oakland and was working for Walsh when he got his second chance. Shanny tutored under Bill Walsh and employed a majority of his tactics.

So how is Shanny's early career different from McDaniels? McD won several SB's working under Bellycheck and is trying to employ here what has brought the Patriots success. Success that didn't happen 10+ years ago.

I fail to see how you say Shanny won using some brand new scheme. The majority of what he learned was from the mentor he revered. Much the same is going on with McD.

What seperates Shanny from McDaniels is Shanny went on to carve his own niche in the NFL. But it didn't happen overnight. It took some time and learning. Why isn't that same patience afforded to McDaniels?

McD has a lot to learn but I for one will give him more than one season to do it. Basically, I will give him the same treatment Shanahan got when he was hired on as head coach.

Stormontheplains
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
My post had nothing to do with Shanny, and everything to do with popps post. I was merely stating fact that Mcd didn't win with better talent on O and the defense held, he has no excuse for losing the superbowl.

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like Bobby April and Mike Waufle might be headed to Washington as well.

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
My post had nothing to do with Shanny, and everything to do with popps post. I was merely stating fact that Mcd didn't win with better talent on O and the defense held, he has no excuse for losing the superbowl.

McD didn't lose any SB. Bellicheck did, assistants don't win or lose SB's. They get jobs out of how a team performs in a SB but they aren't the ones responsible. Ultimately the HC is the one who is credited with winning or losing a SB.

So again Shanny has a great track record as a head coach who has won back to back Super Bowls. But he didn't do it in his first year and he didn't do it entirely with a system he invented.

Who knows McDaniels may never win one and may never reach the level of Shanahan but you have to at least measure him on the same playing field as every other first year coach.

If he continues to not obtain results then by all means its game on to rip him. But people didn't rip Shanny after his first year. Why doesn't McD get the same treatment?

strafen
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Reports that I've heard all day today, indicate Shanahan may be leaning towards running a 3-4 defensive scheme...

Stormontheplains
01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
McD didn't lose any SB. Bellicheck did, assistants don't win or lose SB's. They get jobs out of how a team performs in a SB but they aren't the ones responsible. Ultimately the HC is the one who is credited with winning or losing a SB.

So again Shanny has a great track record as a head coach who has won back to back Super Bowls. But he didn't do it in his first year and he didn't do it entirely with a system he invented.

Who knows McDaniels may never win one and may never reach the level of Shanahan but you have to at least measure him on the same playing field as every other first year coach.

If he continues to not obtain results then by all means its game on to rip him. But people didn't rip Shanny after his first year. Why doesn't McD get the same treatment?

Good points, but if you want to discuss Shanny and Mcd, shanny won a superbowl when in charge of the 2cd best offense of all time, McD lost a superbowl when in charge of the best Offense of all time, and scored 14 points to boot. To me Shanny was light years ahead in terms of game planning, in game adjustments, and comittment to running the ball than Mcd is at present time. McD does deserve a chance to grow, my problem is being patriots west, hate those guys, and hate mcd for not understanding or learning the bronco way, which even in loss was a step above the rest. He seems to step to a classless level with his actions. Not seen before in broncosland, Red Miller, Dan Reeves, Wade and Shanny all had class, McD just seems to lack that

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Reports that I've heard all day today, indicate Shanahan may be leaning towards running a 3-4 defensive scheme...

I think Shanny is going to be a force now that he had a year off to reevaluate where the league has gone.

Remember he was absolutely against the 3-4. But its the way of the league now it seems. That or a true hybrid which he looks to run.

Apparently he rented out some office space on Arapahoe Road down in Englewood, CO right near Dove Valley. He went to work every day and watched tape. I think he will come back reinvented and refreshed.

DBroncos4life
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM

They are. The Skins hired Lou Spanos from Pittsburgh to coach the linebackers.

PaintballCLE
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Wies is 3-0 in superbowls calling the plays, Mcdaniels is 0-1. Mcdaniels had Randy Moss and Welker, still lossed. Wies won with a broken down Corey Dillon running the ball and average recievers, so who got better use of the Earhart-Perkins system?

lost all credibility with me.....LOL

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Good points, but if you want to discuss Shanny and Mcd, shanny won a superbowl when in charge of the 2cd best offense of all time, McD lost a superbowl when in charge of the best Offense of all time, and scored 14 points to boot. To me Shanny was light years ahead in terms of game planning, in game adjustments, and comittment to running the ball than Mcd is at present time. McD does deserve a chance to grow, my problem is being patriots west, hate those guys, and hate mcd for not understanding or learning the bronco way, which even in loss was a step above the rest. He seems to step to a classless level with his actions. Not seen before in broncosland, Red Miller, Dan Reeves, Wade and Shanny all had class, McD just seems to lack that

I also agree with some of your arguments. No one knows if McD will amount to what Shanny did. Most any realistic Broncos fan will say they are weary. But it seems to me that McD isn't getting the same treatment Shanny did when he was hired. Shanny had a future HOF QB to build around. McD had an unprofessional parasite that he inherited and needed to dump.

Stormontheplains
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I also agree with some of your arguments. No one knows if McD will amount to what Shanny did. Most any realistic Broncos fan will say they are weary. But it seems to me that McD isn't getting the same treatment Shanny did when he was hired. Shanny had a future HOF QB to build around. McD had an unprofessional parasite that he inherited and needed to dump.

50/50 on Cutler/Mcd, He would have been up his ass all the time, which is what he needs, Might have been a testy but victorious relationship. I coach cocky, arrogant, jack offs all the time, I believe it is my job to bring them around, typically it works out when you find out you both want the same thing. Also dont forget that Elway coach killed 2 guys, Cutler still has time

theAPAOps5
01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes but Elway Coach killed 2 guys WHILE carrying a team to the playoffs and Super Bowl. Cutler has the ability to do it I will never deny that.

strafen
01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I think Shanny is going to be a force now that he had a year off to reevaluate where the league has gone.

Remember he was absolutely against the 3-4. But its the way of the league now it seems. That or a true hybrid which he looks to run.

Apparently he rented out some office space on Arapahoe Road down in Englewood, CO right near Dove Valley. He went to work every day and watched tape. I think he will come back reinvented and refreshed.I'm sure that Shanahan had a chance to re-invent himself.
He said during press conference that he had a chance to watch a lot of football on Sundays.
He said he had a chance to watch other coaches were doing during those games.
He pointed out that during his time as a headcoach, he never got a chance to sit down a watch football games, as he was always preparing for his next game.

I agree with you. It will be interesting to see how this hiatus may have impacted Shanahan's coaching philosophy

TheReverend
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Haslett was a good hire but I was REALLY hopeful he would've landed Zimmer.