PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Kiffin to USC

Kid A
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
If it happens it is one of the trashiest moves I have ever seen in the sport of college football. And that is saying a lot in a sport filled with ladder climbing coaches. Abandons a top notch program like Tennessee after a single season. **** him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820737

Kid A
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
On the flip side, Vols get what they deserve for hiring the POS.

tsiguy96
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
vols fans all over are cheering. maybe davis was right in firing kiffin, though i think kiffin won the PR war in that one.

Taco John
01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Hmmmm... He pulled a Dennis Erickson.

Kid A
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
SC fans are suicidal. If they didn't have NCAA sanctions coming down on them soon before... ROFL

http://usc.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=521

bombay
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Unreal.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
So he ditches on a school after one year. Kids pick a school with a big influence on the coach. Why would you trust a guy who ditches a program after one year.

Then again Nick Satan did it going from the NFL Miami to Alabama and he is on top.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Why is USC in such a panic? Even if the program gets sanctioned, I doubt it's going to be that bad. They're acting as if nobody wants the job.

Kid A
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Why is USC in such a panic? Even if the program gets sanctioned, I doubt it's going to be that bad. They're acting as if nobody wants the job.

I think the panic has more to do with not trusting Lane as a coach head of the program. Seems to be able to recruit, but his one year in Knoxville was a circus in every way possible.

OrangeShadow
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
haha colin cowherd called this on his radio show this afternoon

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I think the panic has more to do with not trusting Lane as a coach head of the program. Seems to be able to recruit, but his one year in Knoxville was a circus in every way possible.

Still. Better than Dan Hawkins. :pity:

SoCalBronco
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM

The fact that Lane is taking the job is not a fact that will be helpful to USC when it comes to the severity of sanctions.

And if you think the two are completely unrelated, I don't know what to tell you.

McDman
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
As a Vol alumni and fan this is absolutely disgusting to me, what a POS. Our program will be set back five years from this.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
The fact that Lane is taking the job is not a fact that will be helpful to USC when it comes to the severity of sanctions.

And if you think the two are completely unrelated, I don't know what to tell you.

WTF? :kiddingme

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
DOnt listen to him. He is everything anti-Socal. You wouldnt know it by his name sake.

SoDak Bronco
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I thought they'd be able to do better then Lane. The was over his head last year and will probably take USC down in flames.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Still. Better than Dan Hawkins. :pity:

Dude who isn't better than Hawkins.

yerner
01-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Goddamn, coaches are the biggest scumbags on the planet. Hopefully Lane ruins that cheating ****bird program.

DBroncos4life
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I wonder what other programs are doing with their recruiters?

chadta
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
DOnt listen to him. He is everything anti-Socal. You wouldnt know it by his name sake.

he likes hockey, it dont get much more anti socal then that

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I dont' get Kiffin's motive either. He's barely getting started in Tennessee and he craps all over their program to follow in Pete Carroll's shadow? If he is not immediately, wildly successful, he's going to get crucified. And after what he did to the Vols, who's going to trust him? I feel sorry for Matt Barkley.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Man, Wiki is fast:
Lane Monte Kiffin (born May 9, 1975), is the current head coach of the University of Southern California Trojans college football team.[1] He was previously the head coach of the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League, the offensive coordinator of the University of Southern California Trojans and the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers.

Looks like Monte is going to take over the defense.

OBF1
01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
He could not handle playing against the toughest teams, in the toughest conference in the country. Kiffin needs to play in the puss-10 to win some games.

I like this if it does indeed happen, I prefer UCLA over USC any day of the week.

orinjkrush
01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
actually....big tuna did this to air force.

long time ago.

Houshyamama
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
He could not handle playing against the toughest teams, in the toughest conference in the country. Kiffin needs to play in the puss-10 to win some games.

I like this if it does indeed happen, I prefer UCLA over USC any day of the week.

PAC-10 is the second best conference in the country.

McDman
01-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm just stunned.

What a giant douche bag. Our recruiting class is going to be torn apart.

worm
01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Kiffin is scum.

I hope the sanctions handcuff him.

bpc
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow, a head scratcher considering the potential sanctions... this kid leaves a trail of destruction in his wake.

McDman
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Who would've thought Al Davis was right about something?

oubronco
01-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Is it official?

Kid A
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM

No.

BYU 44 - Oregon State 20

Utah 37 - Cal 27

Nebraska 33 - Arizona 0

Oklahoma 31- Stanford 27

Ohio St 26 - Oregon 17

This year the Big XII, Big 10 and Mountain West were all better. Pac-10 played some entertaining ball against each other...then almost all proceeded to receive sound ass-kickings in the bowls. Largely because almost none of them played anything resembling sound defense.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Is it official?

according to ESPN, yes. I hope he brings Monty with him. Not sure what the hate was on Kiffin at Tennessee as he seemed to be in most games against those tough SEC teams. Tennessee has been pretty bad lately and thought he was giving them some respectability. Kiffin is a SC guy and his name is well known. I would not have mind if Ken Norton jr. had a chance to be HC. Hopefully Kiffin keeps him around and maybe promotes him.

Kid A
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
according to ESPN, yes. I hope he brings Monty with him. Not sure what the hate was on Kiffin at Tennessee as he seemed to be in most games against those tough SEC teams. Tennessee has been pretty bad lately and thought he was giving them some respectability.

He's bringing Monte, Orgeron, and Norm Chow. Hell of a staff.

Natedog24
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM

I don't know if it was the 2nd best conference but its way better then the Pac 10 haters on this board will ever give it credit for.

Kiffin really doesn't scare me as much as the all star cast of assistants that he'll have coaching and recruiting under him. Also if anyone actually thinks USC will get hit hard by the NCAA they are delusional. At most it will be a minor bump in the road for USC but hey, I hope I am wrong because it would make things easier for the Ducks.

27atwater
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm a Huge Vols fan. Anyone who thought he'd stay in Knoxville forever was kidding themselves. It's crappy that he left...well it's more crappy that he took Orgeron and his dad with him...but he's a USC guy. If he stays in USC for 10+ years, I can't begrudge him that. But if he pulls a Saban...

27atwater
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't know if it was the 2nd best conference but its way better then the Pac 10 haters on this board will ever give it credit for.

Kiffin really doesn't scare me as much as the all star cast of assistants that he'll have coaching and recruiting under him. Also if anyone actually thinks USC will get hit hard by the NCAA they are delusional. At most it will be a minor bump in the road for USC but hey, I hope I am wrong because it would make things easier for the Ducks.

I drank the PAC-10 Kool-Aid this year and then most of it's teams got smoked in the bowl games. It's hard for me to say this, as I am not a fan, but I'd take the Big 10's top 5 or 6 vs those of the PAC-10...this year anyways.

SoCalBronco
01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm just stunned.

What a giant douche bag. Our recruiting class is going to be torn apart.

I'll give you Randy Shannon for a pack of bubble gum.

SPORTSWRITER
01-13-2010, 12:58 AM
So he ditches on a school after one year. Kids pick a school with a big influence on the coach. Why would you trust a guy who ditches a program after one year.

Then again Nick Satan did it going from the NFL Miami to Alabama and he is on top.

Not according to his wife.

Bronco LB52
01-13-2010, 01:13 AM
What has Lane Kiffin actually done in football?

Nobody even knew who this punk was until the Crypt Keeper threw him a bone.

broncocalijohn
01-13-2010, 01:30 AM
What has Lane Kiffin actually done in football?

Nobody even knew who this punk was until the Crypt Keeper threw him a bone.

I guess being a coach at USC during their three year reign isnt anything? Maybe look it up before making this comment. U r from around here, u should know about him.

Lane Monte Kiffin (born May 9, 1975), is the current head coach of the University of Southern California Trojans college football team.[1] He was previously the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers college football team, the Oakland Raiders of the NFL, and the offensive coordinator for the Trojans.

Kiffin joined the University of Southern California (USC) staff in 2001 and became the wide receivers coach in 2002. In 2004, he added the duties of passing game coordinator and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year, after offensive coordinator Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach.

During Kiffin’s tenure with USC, he was instrumental in the development of several wide receivers and tight ends in the program. While he was there, USC produced noted talents such as NFL draftees Mike Williams, Keary Colbert, Kareem Kelly, Alex Holmes and Dominique Byrd. In addition,Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett of the 2006 USC Trojans football team were both selected in the second round of the 2007 NFL draft by the New York Giants and the Carolina Panthers, respectively. Patrick Turner, Fred Davis and several other young new recruits such as Vidal Hazelton, Travon Patterson and Jamere Holland seem likely to continue the trend of excellence at this position. Holland transferred to the University of Oregon in 2006. Notably, Lane Kiffin also helped amass the number-one recruiting class in the nation, the past several years (as evaluated by organizations such as Scout.com and Rivals.com).

In 2005, USC head coach Pete Carroll selected Kiffin to replace Norm Chow as offensive coordinator. Despite being new to the role, Lane Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23-3 win-loss record during his tenure- an 88% win percentage. During the previous four years under Norm Chow’s play calling, the Trojans achieved 41 wins and 9 losses (82%). Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced school records in virtually every dimension, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game. USC’s potent offense that season became the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush & LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards short of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. With an all new offensive cast at the skill positions and in what was generally viewed as a rebuilding year for USC the offensive totals fell off to 30.5 point, and 391 yards per game, and 11 wins overall, he was promoted to offensive and recruiting coordinator while continuing as the wide receivers coach. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. Under Kiffin leadership in 2006, the Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 yards per game, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers - Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and

Bronco LB52
01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
I guess being a coach at USC during their three year reign isnt anything? Maybe look it up before making this comment. U r from around here, u should know about him.

He was a college assistant. Only a coordinator for a year. What has he exactly done as a head coach in football? Nothing. Al Davis put him on the map.

It boggles my mind how he is all of a sudden an A-list guy. He's not even remotely close to the level of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel and Mack Brown, but his job is just as glamorous as those guys. It's unbelievable that he has held two of the college football's top ten most prestigious positions in the last 14 months. All because of Al Davis.

broncocalijohn
01-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Yes, he was thrown into the Raiders job but that is because nobody wanted it and he knew he could control a young kid. I editted to put his accomplishments from Wiki. He was a good coach.

Bronco LB52
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Yes, he was thrown into the Raiders job but that is because nobody wanted it and he knew he could control a young kid. I editted to put his accomplishments from Wiki. He was a good coach.

He still hasn't done a damn thing as a head coach. It's crazy that he has held three prize coaching jobs in less than two years.

I am not saying he won't do well at USC, but I don't think he's deserving of this opportunity. I would rather have seen the job go to a coach that paid his dues moving up the ranks in college football. Not some spoiled punk like Kiffin.

27atwater
01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Keep in mind the fact that he was the 5th choice of USC...and not Tennessee's #1 either.