PDA

View Full Version : Number One Recievers Who May Be Available

Pseudofool
01-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I just want to get a list of receivers who might be available to replace BMarsh.

I see that Antonio Bryant is unlikely to return to TB.
Of course, A. Boldin is perpetually available.

Who else?

Doggcow
01-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure I don't want Antonio Bryant.

oubronco
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I hear Brandon Marshall could be had for a 1st rounder

gyldenlove
01-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I still don't get how Boldin has ever been available in any world other than the made up one that is broadcast as ESPN. The Cardinals have never negotiated any trade offers and have rejected all trade offers they have gotten flat out.

Bryant is available but comes with a boatload of character issues.

OBF1
01-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I hear Brandon Marshall could be had for a 1st AND A 3RD rounder

Fixed it for you ROFL!

Doggcow
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Bryant is available but comes with a boatload of character issues.

Only if he agrees to put the bitches in their place now and again.

jhns
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
No one we could get is half as good as Marshall. We would be pretty dumb to let him walk. At some point, we are going to have to realize that talent wins games. We won't win another SB until we start figuring out how to keep our talent around. It has been a problem for 10 years now.

Doggcow
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
No one we could get is half as good as Marshall. We would be pretty dumb to let him walk. At some point, we are going to have to realize that talent wins games. We won't win another SB until we start figuring out how to keep our talent around. It has been a problem for 10 years now.

If we can replace him with a player that doesn't have his issues and is slightly less talented, but more motivated and wants to be here a la Wes Welker (not the most physically talented player).... That's a win.

Dendave
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I say trade Marshall and our number one (Chicago's) to Detroit for Calvin Johnson

missingnumber7
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't understand the whole trade question with Marshall...am I wrong in thinking it would have to be a sign and trade. The draft picks that everyone is talking about are compensation for offersheets because he would be a Restricted Free Agent.

Pony Boy
01-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Dez Bryant, yes I know his agent is an ass, but I would take Crabtree too.....agent doesn't pad up and play.

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Dez Bryant, yes I know his agent is an ass, but I would take Crabtree too.....agent doesn't pad up and play.

Neither does the player...until the mid point of the season >.<

~Crash~
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
what is so damn hard to get ? Marshal payed means a one of the best WR's in the league.

Before this year he gave it all every play .

missingnumber7
01-12-2010, 10:32 AM
what is so damn hard to get ? Marshal payed means a one of the best WR's in the league.

This is all I needed to see.

supermanhr9
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Ok I'm an idiot,,,,,, what is with all the talk abotu us getting something for BMarsh? Isn't he a restricted free agent? He has no trade value correct? Someone please explain.

Doggcow
01-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Nothing stopping him from bitching out after he gets paid. If anything, it gives him more of a reason.

missingnumber7
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Ok I'm an idiot,,,,,, what is with all the talk abotu us getting something for BMarsh? Isn't he a restricted free agent? He has no trade value correct? Someone please explain.

It all depends on what happens with the CBA I believe...if one thing happens hes a RFA if not hes a UFA. The only trade value he would have is a sign and trade. If hes an RFA then we have to tender an offer and that offer would set what picks we would get as reimbursement.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I think Steve Breaston is restricted, but the guy would put up great numbers if not behind Fitz and Boldin (as we saw this weekend).

DivineLegion
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't mind paying Marshall and keeping him around, but I also see the value of trading him to stockpile pile high picks in this draft. However Wide receiver is not one of our biggest needs if we lose Brandon.

Irish Stout
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd trade BM for a couple decent inside Olinemen and a bucket of chicken.

As for WR, I would not be suprised to see a convoluted three way where BMarsh goes to Wash/Balt/Jets and we end up with Boldin. I think Boldin is wearing his welcome in AZ as much as BM is here and AZ has shown itself to be just fine at WR without him.

I don't honetly see BMarsh going straight up for picks... maybe a decent WR and a 4th, but not straight up for a first and 3rd.

UberBroncoMan
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I say trade Marshall and our number one (Chicago's) to Detroit for Calvin Johnson

Lets ask Detroit to **** us in the ass while we're at it too.

That's highway robbery.

A young two time pro-bowler for another similar player but also throwing in a 1st round pick??? Makes 0 sense.

mr007
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Lets ask Detroit to **** us in the ass while we're at it too.

That's highway robbery.

A young two time pro-bowler for another similar player but also throwing in a 1st round pick??? Makes 0 sense.

You think BM and Johnson are similar?? Calvin is on another playing field.

That said, still wouldn't be worth it, but I wouldn't say highway robbery.

HEAV
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88129

WR

Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos (26)
Even after a sluggish start to the beginning of the season, Marshall has rebounded well and increased his production over the recent weeks to put over 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns on the year with 86 catches. 200 yards and 2 touchdowns came on his record-setting 21 catches against the Colts in Week 14. Marshall has proven that no matter whose throwing him the ball, he’s one of the premier possession wideouts in the league. If he can maintain a good work ethic and stay clean off the field, Marshall has everything going for him. Because of some of those off the field issues, it’ll be interesting to see how much he actually makes because the Broncos don’t seem to be ready to cut him loose.

Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers (27)
After getting off to a sizzling start, Jackson had cooled off over a 4 week stretch (Week 10 through 13), totaling only 9 receptions for less than 150 yards and no touchdowns. Jackson redeveloped that deadly connection with Philip Rivers beating the Cowboys for 120 yards on 17 yards per catch. Jackson still has the size advantage to stretch the field vertically and become one of the premier wideouts in the league. His ability to out-jump and out-muscle defenders on high passes makes him a real red zone and deep ball threat. Jackson will see a big raise from his mid-round rookie contract, but if he can produce at an elite level again down the stretch and in the playoffs, like he did against the Cowboys, he can still attach a couple more million to his next contract. The Chargers do have a number of key contracts expiring at season’s end and could really use the relief of an uncapped year to retain all or most of them. With the chemistry he and Rivers have developed, Jackson should be at the top of the Chargers’ priority and it would be shocking to see him become an unrestricted free agent.

Miles Austin, Dallas Cowboys (26)
With the season nearing an end, the Cowboys made a smart non-move in not extending Austin a mid-season offer, but will see his price substantially increase in the offseason. Austin has developed in the Cowboys go-to wide receiver and is about the only player capable of seriously stretching the field for the offense. Austin is looking at finishing with over 1200 yards and 12 touchdowns on his current pace, which includes four games in which he totaled only 80-some yards. If Roy Williams can develop into the player the Cowboys expected to get when they traded away a first round selection for him, Romo will have a pair of weapons to even further improve the offense that is already at franchise-record level in yards per game this year.

Braylon Edwards, New York Jets(27)
Edwards’ size brings a unique skill set to the Jets’ receiving corps opposite Jericho Cotchery, but has struggled with concentration and dropping balls as he did in Cleveland. The Jets gave up a considerable amount to land Braylon Edwards so it would be startling if they didn’t extend his stay in New York. Edwards has a winning combination working for him in New York with a promising young quarterback delivering him balls, a charismatic coach, and a team dedicated to winning ball games right now. If Edwards continues posting pedestrian numbers, the Jets will most likely look toward a more incentive-based deal.

Terrell Owens, Buffalo Bills (36)
Owens is as good as gone after this year. He’s kept quiet despite having a type of year (individually and collectively) that he’s been accustomed to. If TO can stay under the radar the rest of the year, he could open up more landing spots for this offseason, with a more competitive team. With Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, Owen’s numbers have gone up and he’s shown that he can still be productive. Owens keeps himself in great shape and should still be able to produce given a healthy quarterback option, but it’s all the baggage that comes with this star WR that make teams shy away. So far, he’s done all of the right things this year off the field. He hasn’t ruled out a return to Buffalo and would also be open to returning to San Francisco where his career began.

Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (29)
Bryant may have cashed in a big check last year, but as I predicted, he hasn’t been able to give a repeat performance – not that it’s all Bryant’s fault with a lack of consistency from the quarterback and an arrhythmic offense in general. The Buccaneers have enough money to re-sign him and should be able to get a fair market price for him this season if he is open to a return to a team that is at the bottom of the league. With Josh Freeman in the lineup, Bryant’s numbers have improved and if he finishes the season strong, he could make a case for strong number two receiver contract.

Derrick Mason, Baltimore Ravens (36)
Mason is the consummate pro and as reliable a receiver as any in the league. He’s been a consistent 1000 yard receiver for his entire career and continues to hold that pace for this year at 35. If Mason decides that this year will not be his last, he’ll have an offer to re-sign with the Ravens who have struggled to match his production from any other receiver over the past seasons. If he has any place where he’s always wanted to play, this could be the offseason where he readies for his last hurrah.

Steve Breaston, Arizona Cardinals (27) – Restricted FA
Breaston won’t reach 1000 yards again this year, but has been productive out of the slot yet again behind Fitzgerald and Boldin. The Cardinals will look to keep him for at least this year under a restricted free agent contract. If he continues his impressive performance it could potentially signal the end of Boldin’s career in Arizona once they find an offer worthy of allowing the semi-disgruntled receiver to walk. Breaston is also a dangerous return man for the Cardinals.

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)
Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere.

Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)
Walter hasn’t been nearly as effective as last year, coming off an injury early in the year. For the Texans offense that hasn’t been short of scoring this year, it could be a good thing for the team. Keeping Walter under the radar could help them hang on to him at season’s end for a less competitive price. His size and style of play suggests that he should be a solid complementary receiver for a long time in the league.

Other Notable Free Agents:

Jason Avant, Philadelphia Eagles (27)
Davone Bess, Miami Dolphins (24) – Exclusive Rights FA
Mark Bradley, Kansas City Chiefs (28)
Isaac Bruce, San Francisco 49ers (37)
Chris Chambers, Kansas City Chiefs (32)
Mark Clayton, Baltimore Ravens (28)
David Clowney, New York Jets (25)
Ronald Curry, St. Louis Rams (31)
Domenik Hixon, New York Diego Giants (25)
Lance Moore, New Orleans Saints (27)
Muhsin Muhammad, Carolina Panthers (37)
Josh Reed, Buffalo Bills (30)
Brad Smith, New York Jets (26)
Bobby Wade, Kansas City Chiefs (29)
Kelley Washington, Baltimore Ravens (31)
Demetrius Williams, Baltimore Ravens (27)
Troy Williamson, Jacksonville Jaguars (27)
Jerheme Urban, Arizona Cardinals (29)

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
(pretend I quoted Heav's post here, but without reposting such a long list)

So...does anyone want to get Hixon back or what??

kamakazi_kal
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I think Steve Breaston is restricted, but the guy would put up great numbers if not behind Fitz and Boldin (as we saw this weekend).

yeah .... hes more a deep threat ..... we don't throw deep

thanks kyle.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Missed the Washington game.

DivineLegion
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Yea in the first half of that game we posted 200 yards passing on a top 5 defense and at the time the best pass defense in the NFC. Amazing. Then Kyle went down...and Bronco nation wept.

Requiem
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Mark Clayton would be an excellent pick-up for us, IMHO. Especially if Marshall gets dealt. Not huge numbers, but he will give you 40+ catches a year.

DivineLegion
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Agreed, this is a much better option than addressing WR in this draft stocked with amazing defensive talent.

rastaman
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't mind paying Marshall and keeping him around, but I also see the value of trading him to stockpile pile high picks in this draft. However Wide receiver is not one of our biggest needs if we lose Brandon.

How do you know Brandon wants to stay? And if you force him to stay could that be a double edge sword. Careful what you wish for.

Mr. Elway
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM

I agree completely, Marshall is not replaceable. We were fortunate to get him in the 4th and get several cheap years out of him. He is undeniably an elite player who is worth the risks. Pay him!

Popps
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
How do you know Brandon wants to stay? And if you force him to stay could that be a double edge sword. Careful what you wish for.

I'm generally not a fan of your ****-head player over the team philosophy, but in this case... I think you're correct.

People are saying Brandy just wants to be paid. But, what happens when he gets his windfall? He's suddenly going to behave like a good soldier for the rest of his contract?

I actually don't think there is any problem between he and McDaniels, but I think that when you have the history Brandy has, people are suspicious of your next move.

I don't blame him for wanting a payday. I just don't like the way he went about it. It tells me that any time he's unhappy, this is how he'll behave. I also think there must have been some fairly harsh ongoings for the team leaders to believe he was dogging it.

I hate to lose his talent, but I just don't want some version of Terrell Owens in our locker room collecting a massive salary unless I'm positive he wants to be here, and I'm really not sure what Brandy wants.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
You don't need elite receivers to win the Super Bowl.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
You don't need elite receivers to win the Super Bowl.

Probably the most overrated position, especially with the rules changes in the last 10 years.

jhns
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Probably the most overrated position, especially with the rules changes in the last 10 years.

The rule changes have been making it easier to pass and harder to defend the pass. I'm not sure I follow your logic unless you are being sarcastic.

People said you don't need a QB. Now you don't need a receiver. You don't need anything to win a SB.... In reality, you don't have to have the greatest talent at any single position. You need a lot of talent, period. Getting rid of your most talented players does not make your team more talented. If we lose Marshall, we are that much further from turning this thing around. His kind of talent is not easily replaced. Even if we could replace it, we are back to square one, which is that we still don't have enough talent. Why make it worse?

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
The rule changes have been making it easier to pass and harder to defend the pass. I'm not sure I follow your logic unless you are being sarcastic.

Yeah, I'm not surprised you can't follow logic :)

The rule changes have been making it easier to pass - we both agree on that.

If it is easier to pass, then you don't need as talented players at that position, right? So you can plug in Gaffney at WR for the KC game and he puts up 200 yards. Now, I'm not saying that you don't need ANY talent at the WR position, you still need a competent level, but a Gaffney/Royal/Stokely combo doesn't scare me as much as Hamilton/Weigmann on the OL (my preference is to bring in Breaston to go with Gaffney/Royal/Stokely).

elsid13
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Yea in the first half of that game we posted 200 yards passing on a top 5 defense and at the time the best pass defense in the NFC. Amazing. Then Kyle went down...and Bronco nation wept.

Washington wasn't a top 5 defense. Even the Skins fans will admit that secondary was overrated.

The Joker
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd actually like to see us look at Malcolm Floyd if Marshall goes.

We need someone who can come down with the deep ball, and Floyd does that very well.

OrangeShadow
01-12-2010, 06:05 PM
calvin also couldn't stay healthy this year, ill take brandon and pay the man

gunns
01-12-2010, 06:23 PM

THANK YOU! Finally the voice of reason. Yes, if we lose him we will need a number one wide receiver, but it will not be our #1 priority. WR's are a dime a dozen and a good receiver is as good as a great receiver. NE won SB's without star WR's, now that they have one they can't win one. There is no way in hell we should even consider a WR in the draft till at least the 3rd or 4th round at the very earliest. And in free agency we should not expend big money for a receiver. Marshall wants big money I wouldn't be willing to pay for his attitude, let's get big compensation for him.

broncosteven
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
(pretend I quoted Heav's post here, but without reposting such a long list)

So...does anyone want to get Hixon back or what??

Maybe we can get Anthony Miller to come out of retirement?

Bronco Yoda
01-12-2010, 07:34 PM
...I also think there must have been some fairly harsh ongoings for the team leaders to believe he was dogging it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during all this.

broncosteven
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during all this.

I am guessing even the fly's are getting tired of all the drama coming out of Dove Valley this past year.

Cool Breeze
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
THANK YOU! Finally the voice of reason. Yes, if we lose him we will need a number one wide receiver, but it will not be our #1 priority. WR's are a dime a dozen and a good receiver is as good as a great receiver. NE won SB's without star WR's, now that they have one they can't win one. There is no way in hell we should even consider a WR in the draft till at least the 3rd or 4th round at the very earliest. And in free agency we should not expend big money for a receiver. Marshall wants big money I wouldn't be willing to pay for his attitude, let's get big compensation for him.

Here Here I'm liking this!

WestFan
01-13-2010, 02:55 AM
I'd actually like to see us look at Malcolm Floyd if Marshall goes.

We need someone who can come down with the deep ball, and Floyd does that very well.

Floyd's not going anywhere. The Chargers didn't cast off Chris Chambers to KC and make Floyd the starter, their #2, just to see him leave for another team 6 months later. They'll give him a nice contract.

Most of those free agent WR in that list above won't really be moving anywhere.

extralife
01-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Lance Moore could be interesting. He seemed to be lost or forgotten in NO this year.

Dedhed
01-13-2010, 06:06 AM
I'd let Marshall walk if, in trade, we got a 1st that gave us the ability to replace him with Dez Bryant.

Iupati and Bryant in the 1st would be sweet.

BroncoMatt
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Vincent Jackson, take him away from Phillis