PDA

View Full Version : The Ravens New Years Wish? If They’re Smart, It’s Brandon Marshall

rastaman
01-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Depending upon whether the Ravens get exposed during the playoffs or SB w/ their inconsistent talent at WR......the final outcome could be that the Ravens front office will/could make a strong-full court press to make a trade for Brandon Marshall.

The Ravens New Years Wish? If They’re Smart, It’s Brandon Marshall

January 2, 2010 by Isaac Barrow | NFL

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past year, you’d know that the Baltimore Ravens main need is at wide receiver. They’re set everywhere else, really. They have their franchise quarterback, an excellent running game and offensive line, and an always suffocating defense. At times, however, they’ve been hurt because they don’t really have a playmaking receiver. For example, in week four, drops by Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason wrecked a late, promising drive in a 27-21 defeat. Against Pittsburgh, the Ravens penalties were devastating, but the penalties wouldn’t have mattered had Derrick Mason caught an easy touchdown pass. Had he caught it, Ravens win the game, 27-23. Unfortunately, he didn’t, and the Ravens lost by a 23-20 tally.

So, those are two games in which the outcome was basically determined by wide receiver gaffes. And you could say that the receiving corps has held back young quarterback Joe Flacco. At times, the Ravens haven’t taken shots, and for whatever reason, I don’t know. But you could make a case that Cam Cameron (Baltimore’s offensive coordinator) does not believe that Flacco has the weapons to really take shots down the field like the Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Vikings do. That’s not to say the Ravens don’t have capable receivers. Derrick Mason has had a very good 13-year career, with over 11,000 yards, ten straight years with 60 or more catches, and eight years with 1,000 or more yards. Even Mark Clayton has shown he can play at the NFL level, and Kelley Washington has been a surprise this year. Heck, even Demetrius Williams can be a threat when he’s healthy.

On the other hand, the team doesn’t have a “playmaker” at the receiver position. Many fans and sportswriters have been riding team GM Ozzie Newsome for not getting his guy. He chased both Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin via trade last season. There were rumors of trade offers from the Baltimore front. However, none of them satisfied the other parties. The Ravens also missed out on T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who signed a four-year free agent deal with the Seattle Seahawks. And in the draft, when given the chance to draft Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt in the first round, the Ravens took offensive tackle Michael Oher, which I think was a marvelous selection. However, a need still remains at the wide receiver position.

Mason is 36 years old and likely to retire soon, Clayton is a free agent after the year, as are Williams and Washington. While those trade offers to Boldin and Marshall weren’t successful, it’s not as if both of those guys are completely “hands off”. Boldin, while he seems happy in Arizona (and why shouldn’t he be?), has yet to get the contract extension he’s wanted, which is much-deserved, with over 7,000 yards in his short career. Marshall has been benched for the final game of the Broncos season, a crucial game against the Kansas City Chiefs, a game that could determine their faint playoff hopes, and many were calling his game against the Philadelphia Eagles his last in a Denver Broncos uniform.

After the year, Marshall is a free agent, and I see no way he re-signs with the Denver Broncos. He doesn’t get along with his coach, and while I’m impressed with the way he’s matured since his infamous practice video, showing up to practice, working hard in practices, and most importantly, getting it done in games. Last year, he was a freak – no other way to put it. He finished with 104 receptions, over 1,200 yards and seven touchdowns. He formed a strong bond with fellow Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler on and off the field, and it showed all season long. After Cutler got traded, some –well, actually most – expected Marshall’s production to dip. After all, Kyle Orton isn’t exactly in the class of Cutler, who threw for 4,526 yards in ’08.

However, Marshall has been almost as good. After a nine-catch performance against the Philadelphia Eagles, he now had 101 catches on the year, 1,120 yards, and ten touchdowns. Knowing that this guy might be a Raven next season, I’ve tried my hardest to watch him very closely, and the book on him is right: he’s an elite receiver and a beast after the catch. That wasn’t better exemplified than in a week four win over the Dallas Cowboys. Tied 10-10 with 1:59 left in the game, Kyle Orton lofted a poor throw intended for Marshall, a pass that could’ve been intercepted by Terence Newman, but the 6’4” Marshall leaped over him, caught the pass, ran away from Newman, broke a tackle from Ken Hamlin, separated himself from several other defenders, and walked in for a 51-yard touchdown, which proved to be the game-winner.

That’s all Marshall has been about in his career. He has good hands, is able to use his size, separates from defenders, is able to break tons of tackles, and has good speed, too. According to Pro Football Focus.com, an excellent NFL scouting website, he’s broken 14 tackles this season, 21 last year, and a whopping 29 in 2007. In one game against Kansas City, he eluded seven – yes, seven – tacklers. In my opinion, Marshall hasn’t been utilized well enough by rookie head coach Josh McDaniels, which is ironic, considering McDaniels was the mastermind behind the Patriots great offensive attack. He hasn’t been the same deep threat. In fact, last week against the Eagles, he had nine catches for 38 yards. That tells you something about what kind of routes the Broncos had him running.

From ESPN, there is a lot of speculation as to why he’s not playing in Week 17 against Kansas City. Marshall has been battling a hamstring injury, but there are stories within the story. Some say that Marshall doesn’t have a desire to play, and most think that’s because he is willing to force his way out. ESPN reporter Bill Williamson said Marshall handled the situation well with local media, instead of throwing a temper tantrum, which has really meant his downfall in the past. His temper tantrum has not only hurt him with his team, but also in his personal life. He’s had plenty of problems off the field:

• In 2004, in college, he was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault.
• In 2007, he was present at a night club in Denver where former Bronco Darrent Williams was fatally stabbed in the neck.
• Months after that, he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence.
• Seven months later, he was caught drinking and driving.
• Earlier this year, he was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his new fiancée, Michi Nogami-Campbell.

That’s definitely a disturbing track record. But I am convinced he’s changed for the better. He took anger management classes, and doesn’t seem as violent since. He’s been able to control his emotions more off the field, which is basically why he has gotten in so much trouble. And while I don’t condone alcohol, he doesn’t have a history of alcohol, so I don’t expect him to get in any more trouble involving DUI’s. The Ravens will be taking a gamble on him if they decide to sign him, but in my opinion, no man is rewarded without taking some risks along the way, and this is no exception.

Just for fun, I did simulations on another good website called What If Sports.com. There, you can simulate games. So, if I were to replace the 2008 version of Mason with the 2008 version of Marshall, let’s see what happens:

V. CIN, W 48-7: Marshall finishes with eight receptions, 121 yards
V. CLE, W 23-0: Marshall finishes with five receptions, 32 yards, 1 TD
V. PIT, W 9-3: Marshall finishes with seven receptions, 67 yards
V. TEN, W 9-3: Marshall finishes with six receptions, 105 yards
V. IND, L 13-27: Marshall finishes with eight receptions, 97 yards
V. MIA, W 24-7: Marshall finishes with seven receptions, 118 yards
V. OAK, W 34-0: Marshall finishes with six receptions, 70 yards, 1 TD
V. CLE, W 27-17: Marshall finishes with seven receptions, 80 yards, 1 TD
V. HOU, W 31-16: Marshall finishes with six receptions, 89 yards, 2 TD
V. NYG, L 14-21: Marshall finishes with eight receptions, 110 yards
V. PHI, L 0-13: Marshall finishes with four receptions, 45 yards
V. CIN, W 31-3: Marshall finishes with four receptions, 69 yards
V. WSH, W 24-3: Marshall finishes with nine receptions, 109 yards, 2 TD
V. PIT, L 7-9: Marshall finishes with four receptions, 63 yards
V. DAL, W 34-27: Marshall finishes with 12 receptions, 189 yards, 3 TD
V. JAC, W 23-0: Marshall finishes with eight receptions, 100 yards

Yes, they are just simulations, but blindingly accurate. This projects he finishes with 109 receptions, 1,464 yards, and ten touchdown catches, not far off from his actual results, really. And when you think about it, that should happen. Under a smarter quarterback in Flacco, he’s able to post better numbers. Under Marshall, the Ravens finish 12-4, a game better, but if you look at it, the offense is much better, which makes a lot of sense. And remember – this is the 2008 Ravens offense, with a rookie quarterback and power running attack.

Just imagine what he could do with the 2010 Ravens offense, one with third-year quarterback Joe Flacco and a team possibly coming off two playoff berths in as many seasons, something Marshall is dying to experience.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:27 AM
They can have him for a 1st and a 3rd.`

bowtown
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
They can have him for a 1st and a 3rd.`

Or Ngata.

jhat01
01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Besides the fact that he thinks Williams was stabbed in the neck..He makes a good case. Two high draft picks, or a pick and a player, and I think the Broncos jump.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Or Ngata.

I wish. And the 3rd.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
In 2007, he was present at a night club in Denver where former Bronco Darrent Williams was fatally stabbed in the neck.

WTF ???

rastaman
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
So do we keep him if Ozzie Smith is only willing to give up a 1st and 4th round picks or must the 3rd round pick be final?

Another question is it worth the risk to bring Bmarsh back b/c teams are only willing to give up their first round pick and not give us a 3rd or 4th for him. Does McDaniel's risk the possible cancer and drama forcing Bmarsh to stay?

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Same as with Cutler; It's up to BM how he's going to act.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
So do we keep him if Ozzie Smith is only willing to give up a 1st and 4th round picks or must the 3rd round pick be final?

Another question is it worth the risk to bring Bmarsh back b/c teams are only willing to give up their first round pick and not give us a 3rd or 4th for him. Does McDaniel's risk the possible cancer and drama forcing Bmarsh to stay?

We'll tender him a high offer sheet which he'll have to sign and a 1st and a 3rd is the compensation.

rastaman
01-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Same as with Cutler; It's up to BM how he's going to act.

Point is you force Bmarsh to stay we might only get 3.0 mil worth of performance out of him if you get my drift. Meaning--Brandon may not give it his all in games i.e run lousy routes, not being a beast after he catches the ball by looking to go down with arm tackles or just looking for a spot to fall down.

What's McD going to do bench him! If that happens Bmarsh will eventually need to be suspended for the rest of season....then what do you have then? So in 2010 what you run the risk of is having a disgruntled BMarsh when you could have gotten the Ravens 1st round draft pick.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Point is you force Bmarsh to stay we might only get 3.0 mil worth of performance out of him if you get my drift. Meaning--Brandon may not give it his all in games i.e run lousy routes, not being a beast after he catches the ball by looking to go down with arm tackles or just looking for a spot to fall down.

What's McD going to do bench him! If that happens Bmarsh will eventually need to be suspended for the rest of season....then what do you have then? So in 2010 what you run the risk of is having a disgruntled BMarsh when you could have gotten the Ravens 1st round draft pick.

Frankly, I think BM is worth more than the, what, 28th pick in the draft? Please. Maybe this year's first, next year's first and this year's second.

If Marshall plays it that way, his career will suffer big time.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Great shortstop.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Great shortstop.

Excellent back flip.

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Or Ngata.

Now we're talkin! And give Trevor Pryce back, for old times' sake.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
We'll tender him a high offer sheet which he'll have to sign and a 1st and a 3rd is the compensation.

They can always trade him for less if no one is willing to meet their demands.

This is going to be the same thing as Cutler, they're not going to get market value for Marshall, but they seem to be in a position that neither side is going to come back from. If anyone puts a 1st + on the table, you take the deal even if it is at the bottom of the 1st.

rmsanger
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Ngata would be a straight up trade... they would be smoking crack to include any picks.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Ozzie Newsome wouldn't give up Ngata for Marshall if you broke both his arms.

Ray Finkle
01-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Newsome or Marshall?

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Haha, Ray Lewis would probably stab him.

Rabb
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
no chance they dump Ngata, that guy protects ray ray like nobody's business

DivineLegion
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Maybe they will make it to the superbowl and we can up our asking price...1st and a 2nd with a 4th from the broncos as compensation.

End of the first we take Iupati, at 10 we take McClain, with our second we get the best 3-4 DE prospect still available, and at the end of the second round we take a WR. Start off day two with a C in the 3rd, and then add depth from there.

Tombstone RJ
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Trade Marshall for a 1st and a 3rd and if Ozzie doesn't like it, then don't do the deal.

Dagmar
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Where's that 1st going to be? 25 - 32 right?

gyldenlove
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Marshall for Kelly Gregg and a 2nd. Gregg is their NT.

Tombstone RJ
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Where's that 1st going to be? 25 - 32 right?

Yep, that is why the 3rd is so important. If Ozzie gives anything less than a 3rd, walk away...

NFLBRONCO
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
What about an 2011 #1 as an option with a pick this year.

UberBroncoMan
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Still can't grasp why people think a 1st and a 3rd is a good deal for Marshall.

Marshall is a proven player, no unproven pick can do that... especially given Marshall is still young and will only get better (granted I think the dude is a prick).

TheDave
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I think Baltimore is easily our best chance to get a high pick for him...

Problem is does anyone really want him in Baltimore? They have a habbit of kicking the **** out of us anyways. Imagine the beatings with him on that team.

PRBronco
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I think Baltimore is easily our best chance to get a high pick for him...

Problem is does anyone really want him in Baltimore? They have a habbit of kicking the **** out of us anyways. Imagine the beatings with him on that team.

Haha, he'd be our trojan horse over there. Move to Baltimore, get in epic amounts of trouble off field, pack up belongings from locker room several times when feelings get hurt, cause Ravens implosion! By the time they're on our schedule again, the plan will have worked to perfection :thanku:

NFLBRONCO
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Still can't grasp why people think a 1st and a 3rd is a good deal for Marshall.

Marshall is a proven player, no unproven pick can do that... especially given Marshall is still young and will only get better (granted I think the dude is a prick).

This is how I feel overall on this subject but, resign myself to thinking Denver will trade him. I don't think BM is that bad and yeah he's clearly our best WR. Top 10 WR in league most WR's are prima donna's. If he is traded my fear is we will turn around and draft WR high. If we do use a low #1 or #2 on WR can we at least draft one with blazing speed not more move the chain types.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Haha, he'd be our trojan horse over there. Move to Baltimore, get in epic amounts of trouble off field, pack up belongings from locker room several times when feelings get hurt, cause Ravens implosion! By the time they're on our schedule again, the plan will have worked to perfection :thanku:

Though possible, the more likely scenario is that he would keep his nose clean just long enough to catch 23 passes for 200+ yards and 3 td's in the game against us...

Then promptly go on a binger, beat several women, and punt a ball into Ozzie's face.

TheDave
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
This is how I feel overall on this subject but, resign myself to thinking Denver will trade him. I don't think BM is that bad and yeah he's clearly our best WR. Top 10 WR in league most WR's are prima donna's. If he is traded my fear is we will turn around and draft WR high. If we do use a low #1 or #2 on WR can we at least draft one with blazing speed not more move the chain types.

in that case we may want to first draft a QB with some deep ball accuracy that can take advantage of such blazing speed.