PDA

View Full Version : U$C Investigation coming to a conclusion; hearing pending

SoCalBronco
01-11-2010, 10:47 PM
NCAA probe of USC complete
By Charles Robinson and Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
8 hours, 47 minutes ago

After almost four years of investigation, the NCAA’s probe into the University of Southern California athletic program has reached a conclusion. Sources familiar with the investigation have told Yahoo! Sports that the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions will meet Feb. 19-21 to address what investigators uncovered at USC. According to typical NCAA procedures, if sanctions are necessary, they will be determined and then made public via a news conference within six to eight weeks of the February hearing.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn declined comment. The NCAA’s website indicates the next meeting of the Committee on Infractions will occur Feb. 19-21 in Tempe, Ariz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Neither USC nor Pac-10 officials could be immediately reached for comment.

The meeting will be the apex in the NCAA’s probe into USC’s athletic program, as it represents the first determination on whether sanctions should be leveled against the school. The determination on a hearing date also indicates USC has received a letter of allegations from the NCAA and that the school has responded in some way. According to NCAA procedures, schools informed of infractions have at least 90 days to respond. After the response period has expired, a case summary is completed and a date is set for the Committee on Infractions to meet and determine whether there is a basis for sanctioning.

The NCAA’s investigation of USC has been ongoing since April 2006, when a series of Yahoo! Sports reports detailed allegations of extra benefits given to running back Reggie Bush and his family by a failed sports marketing company. Since then, the probe has come to encompass former Trojans basketball star O.J. Mayo and the men’s basketball program, after a report by ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” detailed benefits that allegedly had been funneled to Mayo. Former Trojans basketball coach Tim Floyd abruptly resigned after a Yahoo! Sports report detailed an alleged $1,000 cash payment from Floyd to a man who had helped steer Mayo to USC. The investigation is believed to also include Trojans running back Joe McKnight, whose use of a 2006 Land Rover and ties to a marketing entrepreneur in Santa Monica also have come under scrutiny after a recent report in the Los Angeles Times.

Recent developments at USC, including its decision to self-sanction its basketball program, appear to have occurred after the Trojans received the NCAA’s letter of allegations. News of the hearing also indicates that former Trojans football coach Pete Carroll has been aware for weeks of the specific violations the NCAA may be alleging against his program. Carroll resigned as USC football coach on Sunday and has been named coach of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks.

The NCAA probe has stretched beyond individual athletes, widening its focus to USC’s control of its sports programs, as well as various aspects of compliance and oversight, according to sources. It is expected to make conclusions on USC’s institutional control and whether the school had the proper checks and balances in place to oversee its athletes.

USC already sanctioned itself for NCAA violations during the 2007-08 season related to Mayo allegedly having accepted benefits from known sports agency runner Rodney Guillory. The penalties levied by USC included a ban on postseason play, a reduction of scholarships, recruiting restrictions and the vacation of all victories from the 2007-08 season. Both Mayo, through his agent, and Floyd have denied wrongdoing.

Updated 8 hours
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-uscprobe01110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I found this to be the most interesting thing....

The NCAA turned down USC’s request to self-impose sanctions and restrictions on the school’s football program, which may have hastened Pete Carroll’s departure to the Seattle Seahawks, CBS NFL insider Charley Casserly reported on The NFL Today pregame show.
The NCAA’s decision may have been a factor in Carroll lessening his demand of having complete control of an organization’s football operations before agreeing to coach an NFL team, Casserly believes.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/51206/did_ncaas_handling_of_usc_investigation_hasten_car rolls_exit_to_seattle

24champ
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Good. Going to enjoy watching U$C go down in flames.8')

Time for UCLA to take over.

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/10-07/washington_st_ucla_football_400.jpg

Bronco Yoda
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Pete Carroll made a nicely timed exit stage right.

SoCalBronco
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been waiting a long time for this. A very long time. They've been asking for it and now they're going to get it. It's about ****ing time. We've already pretty much stolen stud LB Josh Shirley from them. I wonder who else in that class Miami can raid...perhaps Uko?

I'm going to enjoy every moment of this...this couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase.

DivineLegion
01-11-2010, 10:57 PM
does this constitute an * ?

24champ
01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I've been waiting a long time for this. A very long time. They've been asking for it and now they're going to get it. It's about ****ing time. We've already pretty much stolen stud LB Josh Shirley from them. I wonder who else in that class Miami can raid...perhaps Uko?

I'm going to enjoy every moment of this...this couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase.

If Slick Rick is worth a ****, he should be able to poach a few from the Trojans.

SoCalBronco
01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
If Slick Rick is worth a ****, he should be able to poach a few from the Trojans.

I'm sure he will. I've never understood why UCLA is not a perennial Top 15 team in football. They have a great school, babes, beaches, Westwood, good alumni financial support, the Rose Bowl...I'm not sure what the problem is. With U$C about to take a major hit, this is a huge oppurtunity for them to benefit. There's alot of high school talent in southern california. Probably the third richest hotbed of talent outside of Texas and Florida. If they play their cards right now that U$C is going to get punched in the mouth, they could have some 10 win seasons.

OBF1
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I beg to differ on California being 3rd on the list of talent. California player are all over the country on about every team that fields a football team.

SoCalBronco
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I beg to differ on California being 3rd on the list of talent. California player are all over the country on about every team that fields a football team.

California is great, but in terms of per capita talent, Florida is tops.

There was a study done not too long ago of NFL players by state (high school):

California 699
Texas 568
Florida 541

Given that California has 200% of the population of Florida, and Texas has 150% of the population of Florida, its pretty clear that Florida is tops.

OBF1
01-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Damn it SoCal.... are you sure you are not SoBama?

Do not now make excuses for your earlier statement claiming California is 3rd in the talent pool, California is #1, forget how many people are in each state and stick to original comment.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Ahhhh, the hate, the hate. Good. Good. Let the dark side consume your miserable asses. Ha!

I hear Jack Del Rio is headed out West now. I doubt many recruits will slip the leash when they hear that. I guess the domination will continue. Seems the defense will, anyways. ;D

I especially find the "moral high horse" interesting coming from a "Criminal U" alum. Hilarious!

You can tell where you're coming from when you are sticking up for a slimeball like Rick Neuheisel. Obviously, you know nothing of Slick Rick or you'd realize how ridiculous you look. Neuheisel is famous in Colorado for running out on the Buffs (for a fat contract at UW) and leaving behind a ****load of sanctions, certainly far worse, and more slimy, than anything Pete Carroll ever did.

Jason in LA
01-12-2010, 07:52 AM
The 1990s are back for USC.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 07:55 AM

Isn't that guy a known cheater too?

tsiguy96
01-12-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm sure he will. I've never understood why UCLA is not a perennial Top 15 team in football. They have a great school, babes, beaches, Westwood, good alumni financial support, the Rose Bowl...I'm not sure what the problem is. With U$C about to take a major hit, this is a huge oppurtunity for them to benefit. There's alot of high school talent in southern california. Probably the third richest hotbed of talent outside of Texas and Florida. If they play their cards right now that U$C is going to get punched in the mouth, they could have some 10 win seasons.

i thought georgia and mississippi were two of the best per capita as well

oubronco
01-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Ahhhh, the hate, the hate. Good. Good. Let the dark side consume your miserable asses. Ha!

I hear Jack Del Rio is headed out West now. I doubt many recruits will slip the leash when they hear that. I guess the domination will continue. Seems the defense will, anyways. ;D

I especially find the "moral high horse" interesting coming from a "Criminal U" alum. Hilarious!

You can tell where you're coming from when you are sticking up for a slimeball like Rick Neuheisel. Obviously, you know nothing of Slick Rick or you'd realize how ridiculous you look. Neuheisel is famous in Colorado for running out on the Buffs (for a fat contract at UW) and leaving behind a ****load of sanctions, certainly far worse, and more slimy, than anything Pete Carroll ever did.

Del Rio stated he was not offered the job and he is staying in Jacksonville

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Del Rio stated he was not offered the job and he is staying in Jacksonville

Yeah. Long enough to get the boot. Well, it could also be this, agent shenanigans:

Meanwhile, one league source has expressed to us skepticism regarding the report that a contract offer was sent to Del Rio on Monday. "He's got the same agent as [Brian] Billick and [Bill] Cowher," the source said. "Think of all the useless rumors that have been started by the guy. It sounds like another B.S. story intended to pressure Weaver."

oubronco
01-12-2010, 08:13 AM
pressure Weaver to do what exactly

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:17 AM
pressure Weaver to do what exactly

I believe Weaver is on the hook to Del Rio for a 15 mil buyout. At least that's what Florio claims.

SPfloppy
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I wish I could drink a full glass of USC fan's tears. Oh the sweet elixer of unquetchable despair. Yes I am a blanket USC hater, but it comes from how good the 04 team was. I dunno if I have ever cheered harder for a team to lose than I did that year. Every since there has been a "USC Myth" in the top 25. Yes they get s***hot recruits, yes Carol was a great coach. But examine how almost without fail they blew it year after year(Not 06) and yet still got ranked over more deserving teams. Oh you'd like an example than? Ok here you go.

Georgia enters 08 ranked #1 after a fantasic 07-08 campaign. They win thier first game but so does USC. Georgia plays the next week whilst USC gets a week 2 bye and yet Miraculously USC becomes #1. They were of course playing Ohio St the next week so undoubtabily the polls did this to help sell a game that didn't need anymore window dressing or hype than it already had. How about the losses to unranked teams the last few years that landed USC only 3-4 spots back in the polls when if it had been Texas or Oklahomo losing to Oregon ST, Stanford or UW they'd have ended up at 16. I am glad they are gonna get thiers. It is fitting and reminds me of the swift and just punishment levied onto Miami in 94 for thier many sins.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Envy like fire always makes for the highest points.
Titus Livius

oubronco
01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
we'll just have to wait and see if it is as bad as the Miami punishment but I don't know

Pony Boy
01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Make them an NFL Team L.A. Trojans, some of the players might have to take a pay cut or get traded....

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
we'll just have to wait and see if it is as bad as the Miami punishment but I don't know

There certainly is no comparison at USC to what Miami did. I'm not even sure the athletic department itself was involved in these infractions, other than not exercising proper control over the players and their agents. Miami was running a program that defrauded the federal government of Pell Grants, within the athletic dept, and getting kickbacks from players. Federal officials called it the largest fraud ever perpetrated against the Pell Grant Program. No comparison. And that's not all Miami was involved in, just the worst part. USC's infractions seem to be the stuff that happens at every school: Alums and agents giving under the table gifts to players.

SPfloppy
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Make them an NFL Team L.A. Trojans, some of the players might have to take a pay cut or get traded....

ROFL!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!^5

SPfloppy
01-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Miami. Now there was a corupt deal. The thing there is that they are still proud of it for getting away with it for so long. (ESPN's 30 for 30 about "The U") I am sure that UM fans loved the glory days and hey they were a phenomenal team for a decade. But the crass and bragadocious manner they carried on was nothing even close to sportsmenlike and if you think that is an outdated word or practice(sportsmanship) than you should step back and think about how much sports have helped people grow up with a sense of discipline and service before self as a team mate. Miami from 1984-about 1992 were the most unsportsmanlike collection of cocky individuals that has ever taken a field to play. The 90 cotton bowl sent my dad over the edge in a tirade of curses that would make Andrew Dice Clay say "whoa man cool down". And none of them to this day even pretend to aknowledge that the behavior was wrong.

Tombstone RJ
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I'd love to see UCLA become the dominant college football team in SoCal... if Ricky can't capitalize on this USC blunder, he's an idiot...

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Miami. Now there was a corupt deal. The thing there is that they are still proud of it for getting away with it for so long. (ESPN's 30 for 30 about "The U") I am sure that UM fans loved the glory days and hey they were a phenomenal team for a decade. But the crass and bragadocious manner they carried on was nothing even close to sportsmenlike and if you think that is an outdated word or practice(sportsmanship) than you should step back and think about how much sports have helped people grow up with a sense of discipline and service before self as a team mate. Miami from 1984-about 1992 were the most unsportsmanlike collection of ****.y individuals that has ever taken a field to play. The 90 cotton bowl sent my dad over the edge in a tirade of curses that would make Andrew Dice Clay say "whoa man cool down". And none of them to this day even pretend to aknowledge that the behavior was wrong.

The flagrant taunting rule in college ball is called "the Miami rule" for a reason. No class organization.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd love to see UCLA become the dominant college football team in SoCal... if Ricky can't capitalize on this USC blunder, he's an idiot...

I doubt that Ricky wants anybody to look too deeply into what he's doing at UCLA, if history is any judge. ;D

SPfloppy
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Before I am done in this thread please allow me to say something positive about The U after my last rant about how no-class they were. For a program to spring out of the ground and go on to win as many national titles as they have and produced as many NFL all-pro's as they have is nothing less than spectacular and this should not go unrecognized even as we recall the Luther Cambell bounties, player payolla, schollarship infractions and yes the infamous Miami rules about taunting. Success is still success. I don't like em but I think it is better for cellege football that they are relevent again.

bloodsunday
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Funny that's the image of the man that would rise up over a cheating program. Ironic to the core.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Miami. Now there was a corupt deal. The thing there is that they are still proud of it for getting away with it for so long. (ESPN's 30 for 30 about "The U") I am sure that UM fans loved the glory days and hey they were a phenomenal team for a decade. But the crass and bragadocious manner they carried on was nothing even close to sportsmenlike and if you think that is an outdated word or practice(sportsmanship) than you should step back and think about how much sports have helped people grow up with a sense of discipline and service before self as a team mate. Miami from 1984-about 1992 were the most unsportsmanlike collection of ****.y individuals that has ever taken a field to play. The 90 cotton bowl sent my dad over the edge in a tirade of curses that would make Andrew Dice Clay say "whoa man cool down". And none of them to this day even pretend to aknowledge that the behavior was wrong.

It still amazes me that the Hokies rattled off 5 straight against their program in the 90's

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Let us go over the Miami recruit problems and NCAA violations. Besides Tim Floyd F in up, Carroll didnt do anything wrong. It was two players that acted on their own.

24champ
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Funny that's the image of the man that would rise up over a cheating program. Ironic to the core.

Most coaches aren't saints, and neither is Carroll.

Look, I wasn't a fan of his hiring, but looking at how well his recruiting has been...is just phenomenal. 2 top ten classes. UCLA was already closing in on U$C (from a recruiting standpoint). Now comes the time to see what Rick can do with that talent.

Personally U$C can have Lame Kiffin...going to be fun watching that train wreck.Ha!

broncocalijohn
01-13-2010, 01:00 AM
That coaching staff is going to be great. We get Norm back with Monty along. Wish Carroll the best. Bring it on FUCLA!