PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman Reboot

Taco John
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Spiderman 4 Scrapped - Studio looking to do a full franchise reboot for 2012

BREAKING NEWS! 2ND UPDATE: Mike Fleming and Nikki Finke have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a Summer 2012 reboot from a script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is out now.

More at the link (http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/urgent-spider-man-4-scrapped-as-is-raimi-and-cast-out-franchise-reboot-planned/)

OBF1
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I am sure McDaniels had something to do with this. I wonder if he got any draft picks for Tobey Maguire?

bpc
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Good. Spider Man 1 was great, 2 was very good and 3 was TRASH.

Redirect, get a cool witty character to play Peter Parker and take this franchise where it deserves to be. While they're at it, FIX X-MEN!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Amazing how they trashed the potential that movie had.

Kid A
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Rebooting a franchise that's...um...8 years old? Interesting. I guess they kinda did that with the recent Hulk film, but the Ang Lee one was a bit of bomb. Remaking a popular series within a decade of it coming out is a new one to me.

Traveler
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Good. Spider Man 1 was great, 2 was very good and 3 was TRASH.

Redirect, get a cool witty character to play Peter Parker and take this franchise where it deserves to be. While they're at it, FIX X-MEN!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Amazing how they trashed the potential that movie had.

Finally! Maybe now they can get a more talented, (and sexy) actress to play MJ. My suggestion would be the redhead chick from the G.I Joe movie.

Archer81
01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I honestly thought James Franco would have played a better Spiderman than Tobey Maguire...so hopefully they get a believable guy to play the part.

:Broncos:

broncosteven
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I am guessing it involves a corvette chase that ends at the edge of a cliff at which point Pete joins Starfleet and becomes the captain of the Flagship of the fleet after an incident with a time traveling antagonist even though he was suspended of rank or power during the incident.

I bet they get Malcom McDowell to play the time traveling bad guy with a cameo of Stan Lee as the Kirk who is stuck in limbo in heaven cutting wood for his one room log cabin and Dave Chappelle plays Whoopie Goldbergs husband with a goofy hat like Whoopie had who swoops in while Malcom McDowell's character is hosting an orgy with his favorite horse and saves the day by saying "I'm Rick James BITCH".

broncofan7
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Tobey McGuire sucks worse than a $5 whore outside the Jokeland coliseum........and that hack is about to ruin ROBOTECH to by bringing it to the big screen. Hopefully, He isn't going to be playing Rick Hunter.......

UberBroncoMan
01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
This is a REALLY REALLY fast reboot... normally there is supposed to be a rather large gap between films on reboots like this.

I agree with bpc about the 1st two and the 3rd... man the 3rd was ****ing wretched.

Even more weird since the 1st two were box office smashes, even the 3rd did alright.

I know why this is being done though.

Dark Knight fever.

Expect a much darker Spider-Man film.

bpc
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
It's harder to pull off Spider Man than Batman. Wayne is just a quiet, dark, brooding, calculating man. Parker actually has to be witty, funny, tough and heroic. A little bit harder to cast for that IMO.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Loved 1, thought 2 was ok, didn't even bother with 3

Killericon
01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Just so long as they keep Quesada away from it, it should be fine. **** Joe Quesada.

Lev Vyvanse
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Tobey McGuire sucks worse than a $5 whore outside the Jokeland coliseum........and that hack is about to ruin ROBOTECH to by bringing it to the big screen. Hopefully, He isn't going to be playing Rick Hunter.......

Wow... for a second there I thought you were a geek. Thank god you cleared that up.

Taco John
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
IMO, comic book flicks only really work when they are trilogies that set each successive movie up to some grand conclusion. Otherwise, they end up spinning out down the road as the studios start throwing in Danny Devito as The Penguin, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in as Mr. Freeze.

ghwk
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Hillis = Spiderman. Bank on it.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I honestly thought James Franco would have played a better Spiderman than Tobey Maguire...so hopefully they get a believable guy to play the part.

IIRC, Franco initially auditioned for Spidey.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2010, 08:21 PM
thank god. maybe they can get it right this time around. an actual actor that can be the smartass Peter Parker from the comics, and an actress that is actually hot. in the comics MJ is like insanely gorgeous, basically she is the Megan Fox of the comic world, and Raimi thought the best way to bring that kind of hotness to life was with Kirsten Dunst

and even the movies were nothing great. the 1st was decent but the 2nd had to play that whole whoa is me story line, having Parker walking around like a little blitch complaining about his troubles of having all those powers.

s0phr0syne
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Just so long as they keep Quesada away from it, it should be fine. **** Joe Quesada.

Yeah, the man who's guided Marvel out of bankruptcy and set it in the position in it is right now with regards to the Iron Man and Avengers franchises should be kept away. That man is horrible! He makes things successful111!!1

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Well, now I can sleep at night, thanks Taco!

Taco John
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey! I like watching fan boys argue over comic book crap! Alright!

Now where's that video game character thread? I just popped some corn.

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Well hey I'm 37 and playing video games, so what do I know :)

Rigs11
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
spiderman 1 was good but gawd do I hate Toby. Especially when he tried to cry with that goofy lookin face of his.

s0phr0syne
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey! I like watching fan boys argue over comic book crap! Alright!

Now where's that video game character thread? I just popped some corn.

:)

clearly, non-bronco talk doesn't mean that I'll be civil. Purposeful antagonism is awesome!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
The creative integrity. Thats rich.

Man-Goblin
01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
IMO, comic book flicks only really work when they are trilogies that set each successive movie up to some grand conclusion. Otherwise, they end up spinning out down the road as the studios start throwing in Danny Devito as The Penguin, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in as Mr. Freeze.

Having a hard time coming up with a comic that pulled off the successful trilogy. Watching Spiderman 3 was like watching the Broncos get blown out at home to the Chiefs.

The new Batman has a chance, but it will be hard to top the Joker character and performance. It will be interesting to see Ironman 2 in June. So much potential there and they may just have the best lead man in Hollywood right now.

Taco John
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Well hey I'm 37 and playing video games, so what do I know :)

Yeah, I'm 35 later this month, and I asked my wife for the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii. I think my dad asked for an electric razor or something manly like a saw.

bpc
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I didn't think Tobey was terrible as Spider-Man until the 2nd one. And then he just started to suck, but still, it was Spider Man which made it tolerable.

Ryan Reynolds would have made a great Spider Man but that cards burned with him playing Dead-Pool.

Taco John
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Having a hard time coming up with a comic that pulled off the successful trilogy. Watching Spiderman 3 was like watching the Broncos get blown out at home to the Chiefs.

The new Batman has a chance, but it will be hard to top the Joker character and performance. It will be interesting to see Ironman 2 in June. So much potential there and they may just have the best lead man in Hollywood right now.

Successfully maintaining a comic book franchise on the silver screen is a tough gig. I think they have to be conceptualized as movies and then drawn as comics for them to work. Maybe.

The problem, really, is the antagonists. If it's not enough that you've got a super hero running aound in spandex or a rubber suit, you have antagonists who are just flat goofy. The Green Goblin absolutely destroys Spiderman as a franchise. But leave him out and the fan boys are up in arms.

I have hope for the new Batman. They at least try to approach it from a pespective that looks for the roots of why the antagonist is acting out as such. They spent some serious effort in making the characters work. Very few of these comic movies really do that successfully.

If there is one franchise that I think that they could reset and do a successful trilogy with, it would be Superman. I would love to see Christopher Nolan take a crack at that one.

Archer81
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I'm 35 later this month, and I asked my wife for the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii. I think my dad asked for an electric razor or something manly like a saw.

I have that game. Its not too bad. Very similar to SMB on the NES, obviously cleaner graphics and multiplayer. The levels are kind of straight forward though.

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM

I have a PS3 and I asked for a XBox for Christmas.

Really because I have everything else, to many clothes and other ****.

But I guess in twenty years I'll be asking for flannes and electric razors too.

Funny thing is that I can't finish a single game.

I get stuck at one point and can't get past it, then I give up.

Guess It's just something to pass the time.

Taco John
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
It looks to me like SMB 3, which is the best side scroller prior to this one, IMO...

Archer81
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I didn't think Tobey was terrible as Spider-Man until the 2nd one. And then he just started to suck, but still, it was Spider Man which made it tolerable.

Ryan Reynolds would have made a great Spider Man but that cards burned with him playing Dead-Pool.

Reynolds is doing another comic book character...cant think of the name though. In the next 18 months we are going to see Thor, Captain America, the Green Lantern, Ghost Rider(a redeux...) and Iron Man 3.

Bronco Yoda
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I am sure McDaniels had something to do with this. I wonder if he got any draft picks for Tobey Maguire?

What are the chances Hillis get's the role?

Taco John
01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a PS3 and I asked for a XBox for Christmas.

Really because I have everything else, to many clothes and other ****.

But I guess in twenty years I'll be asking for flannes and electric razors too.

Funny thing is that I can't finish a single game.

I get stuck at one point and can't get past it, then I give up.

Guess It's just something to pass the time.

I know the feeling. I like games, but not like I used to. But occassionaly one will catch my attention and I'll play it through. The last game I played through was the latest Zelda. That was one of the single best gaming experiences I can remember having. It was like being a kid again. The best part, my wife WANTED me to play it because she enjoyed watching it.

Taco John
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
What I really want, is a hot tub. Then the stars and clouds will be all the video game I need.

Man-Goblin
01-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Successfully maintaining a comic book franchise on the silver screen is a tough gig. I think they have to be conceptualized as movies and then drawn as comics for them to work.

I like it, but I think I read the Matrix trilogy was constructed in a similar fashion to what you describe. While not a comic, it does show you that scripting a trilogy before the first movie goes into production can still go horribly wrong.

Archer81
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I like it, but I think I read the Matrix trilogy was constructed in a similar fashion to what you describe. While not a comic, it does show you that scripting a trilogy before the first movie goes into production can still go horribly wrong.

I hated the third Matrix flick...all of that BS in the first two movies to TIE...I hate that. No one wins. Yay hooray...

Kaylore
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
I hated the third Matrix flick...all of that BS in the first two movies to TIE...I hate that. No one wins. Yay hooray...

It's b/c the Wachowski brothers decided to re-write the script to protest the inevitable invasion of Iraq. Like all their movies, they ruined it trying make some kind of political statement that lost relevance in matter of months.

snowspot66
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
You guys honestly think Kirsten Dunst is neither sexy or talented?

Jesus Christ. No wonder they keep parading the likes of Megan Fox around instead of bothering to develop a character.

Killericon
01-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah, the man who's guided Marvel out of bankruptcy and set it in the position in it is right now with regards to the Iron Man and Avengers franchises should be kept away. That man is horrible! He makes things successful111!!1

It's not that I hate Quesada personally(Anyone who collaborates with Kevin Smith is a plus in my books), but Quesada hates Spidey, and he hates him to the tune OF THE WORST ****ING RETCON EVER.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e247/SINGODWAY/Spider-ManOneMoreDay.jpg

**** THAT ****. Quesada = Great. Quesada + Spiderman = OH GOD NO.

P.S.

I'm still young enough to pull off being a total geek, so I'm gonna ****ing enjoy it while I can before I have to pack it all away into boxes in my basement.

Taco John
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM

I personally really liked that trilogy. The problem with it was that the first one was such a mind bender that nothing that came behind it could live up to it. People expected to be blown away by the second and the third, and there was no way they could do that.

Taco John
01-12-2010, 12:14 AM
It's b/c the Wachowski brothers decided to re-write the script to protest the inevitable invasion of Iraq. Like all their movies, they ruined it trying make some kind of political statement that lost relevance in matter of months.

Interesting... I never read any of that.

cutthemdown
01-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I have an idea....How about just do something original instead of just doing the same thing in a new way.

Killericon
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
I have an idea....How about just do something original instead of just doing the same thing in a new way.

You may want to avoid the cinemas for the next...Oh, I don't know, 2 decades.

Drek
01-12-2010, 04:25 AM

Go to Cannes or Sundance you ****ing hippie bastard. ;P

A reboot doesn't surprise me with the Spiderman franchise. Raimi has been pretty vocal (for him) of his distaste for how Spiderman 3 came out, and since then he's started up a new network TV show (Legend of the Seeker). He basically set himself up with a direct path to exit the franchise.

But then, thats what Sony gets for letting a real Spiderman fran handle the license when all they really wanted was Spidey Vs. Venom. The biggest complaint I've heard from Raimi with regards to Spidey 3 was not so subtle comments implying that Venom was shoehorned into the movie because of corporate decisions. In reality he wanted it to be a story focused on acquiring the symbiotic suit and Harry becoming the new Goblin, with Sandman as a villain who's initial plot arc at least was started and finished in one film. Supposedly he wanted it to then lead into a Spidey 4 with the Lizard, ending with Eddie Brock getting the symbiote and becoming Venom, setting up Spidey 5 to be an all venom film.

You want a Spidey fan to handle the franchise he isn't going to ignore Spiderman's other villains just to touch on the popular ones. He wanted to make a roughly timescale accurate progression of Spiderman but Sony wanted Venom ASAP so that was that.

Oh, and Ryan Reynold is supposed to play Green Lantern. Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk from the new Star Trek) is going to play Thor too.

Merlin
01-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh, and Ryan Reynold is supposed to play Green Lantern.
Granted, I have never read GL, but from watching the cartoons with the kids, I thought GL was of a more tanned complexion.

Rigs11
01-12-2010, 08:07 AM
It looks to me like SMB 3, which is the best side scroller prior to this one, IMO...

its awesome and pretty difficult too. The multiplayer is a blast!

SPfloppy
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
See we were all fooled. Lulled into a false sense of joy by the success of spidey 1 and 2. Now come the corperate hounds to tear great things asunder.

BroncoMan4ever
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
You guys honestly think Kirsten Dunst is neither sexy or talented?

Jesus Christ. No wonder they keep parading the likes of Megan Fox around instead of bothering to develop a character.

have you ever seen MJ in the comics?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/308/118835-165345-mary-jane_super.jpg

http://www.billszone.com/gallery2/d/42308-2/Mary_Jane.jpg

http://www.captainbluehen.com/wp-content/maryjane.jpg

and the way to best bring that character to life was

Kirsten Dunst

http://www.jsrpages.co.uk/scansd/dunst/kirsten_dunst-spiderman-%20(42).jpg

that casting is a failure of epic levels

FISH
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
James Cameron is on record stating that this is the only Super Hero movie he wants to do....Spider Man in 3D :)

Archer81
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
have you ever seen MJ in the comics?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/308/118835-165345-mary-jane_super.jpg

http://www.billszone.com/gallery2/d/42308-2/Mary_Jane.jpg

http://www.captainbluehen.com/wp-content/maryjane.jpg

and the way to best bring that character to life was

Kirsten Dunst

http://www.jsrpages.co.uk/scansd/dunst/kirsten_dunst-spiderman-%20(42).jpg

that casting is a failure of epic levels

Well consider who they casted for Peter Parker/Spiderman. Bad decision. His face looks like it was molded out of clay and shaped with dildos.

Chris
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM

The average age of a gamer is about 33 now.