PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way for McD to win in the long run!

rastaman
01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
McD has 3 or 4 years to rebuild the OL and DL with talent thru both the draft and FA.

McD should concentrate on the OL and DL in 2010 and 2011 by using his first, second and third rounds each year on OL or DL players and sign via FA one or two players for the OL or DL.

Thats the quickest way to rebuild both sides of the ball and build a foundation on both sides of the ball for the next 10-12 years. Then in the last year of his contract in season 4, McD should be ready to take us deep in the playoffs, a SB appearence or SB victory.

Now of course getting great talent for the OL and DL in the draft may require that we don't win for the next two years, but hey, then again teams in the NFL that have great OL's and DL's endured losing seasons are rewarded with drafting higher, where the top talents happen to be.

So for the next 2 years, should McD only win 5 or 6 games, we fans have got to support him, b/c in year 4 of McD's contract we could be in the SB or close to it with dominate OL's and DL's.

COMMENTS......

Popps
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I get it... someone hacked Rasta's account.

Funny.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
COMMENTS?...

Don't mix ammonia and bleach.

DrFate
McD has 3 or 4 years to rebuild the OL and DL with talent thru both the draft and FA.

So for the next 2 years, should McD only win 5 or 6 games, we fans have got to support him

This blank check - is it 2 years? 3? 4?

Based on this rationale, the fans should nod and smile until McDaniels retires, regardless of his record.

sixtimeseight
<table id="post2713110" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 2713110"><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;">http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2"> Remove user from ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=7925)
rastaman (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=7925) </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1"> This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Great thread, we are in total agreement, as usual.

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Here we go...

Dagmar
01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Quickest way...in the long run?

jhat01
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
RastaSally, we won 8 games this year and you are almost unbearable. 2 years of 5-6 wins? Nobody would ever know what you are typing because everyone would have you on ignore..Everybody. Nevertheless, OL/DL is where it's at.

Boobs McGee
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Quickest way...in the long run?

It's the fastest way to rebuild...slowly

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Your title doesn't even make sense.

What's the shortest way to win in the short run?

Paladin
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
The OP is BS, but the idea of building the O and D lines is sound. But the Oline is not totally bereft of talent......

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
there is no reason to believe we can't have a very competitive team capable of a playoff run in 2010.

think of the team he took over. that defense was so terrible a high school jv football team could have pounded them like John Holmes. he basically got here and rebuilt a defense and turned it from laughingstock to a good NFL defense(minus the late season collapse)

there is no reason that through FA and the draft, that we couldn't make this team even better. to be completely honest i will be extremely disappointed in this team if we aren't at least 10-6 and competing for the division crown next season.

watermock
01-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Funny, you sound like Poops 8 months ago and even more wrong.

Are we going to have any offensive playmakers out this genius?

Who do we have now that Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler and Hillis are likely gone?

Orton, Gaffney and Royal while we lose our OL coach?

Champ and Graham are both heading into end of contract, backloaded deals.

Our secondary is either old or very questionable.

We have no depth at any position now on offense after just 1 year.We don't even have a long snapper that can play center.

We couldn't even beat KC or Oakland at home to make the playoffs after going a miracle 6-0.

Now we are going to give away BM, who almost singlehandedly won 2 games on bad throws? And Stokely a 3rd?

Hate to be Negative Nancy, but it's all true.

We looked like a team to contend with someone like Nolan and a RB last year, considering our weekass division. Now, I'm not sure McBeavis can hold the team together.

Dagmar
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Hate to be Negative Nancy, but it's all true.

:rofl:

You love it!

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
like Poops 8 months ago....Hilarious!

Archer81
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
So you propose we lose on purpose the next 2 years to get high draft picks so we can draft linemen...you and reality just dont hang out much, do you?

:Broncos:

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
While I agree bolster lines is key so is adding legit speed to a pretty slow offense. Find a QB we can actually see as a longterm answer.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
While I agree bolster lines is key so is adding legit speed to a pretty slow offense. Find a QB we can actually see as a longterm answer.

give me a break with the QB talk. the way our line performed this season it wouldn't have mattered if we had Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Brady or anyone else behind center because it is impossible to look great as a QB when the line is allowing defenders to get right in your face half a second after the ball is snapped.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
So you propose we lose on purpose the next 2 years to get high draft picks so we can draft linemen...you and reality just dont hang out much, do you?

I think this is actually Lex. ;D

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
give me a break with the QB talk. the way our line performed this season it wouldn't have mattered if we had Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Brady or anyone else behind center because it is impossible to look great as a QB when the line is allowing defenders to get right in your face half a second after the ball is snapped.

If you noticed I listed QB last. I had lines and speed on O higher on my list.
Just because I want a QB upgrade does not mean McD will.

Mr.Meanie
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Rasta claiming we need to build the trenches to have success?

Mock claiming he hates negativity?

Did I just wander into bizzaro world?

listopencil
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
COMMENTS......

I'd say this is one of those threads people plant. No one really pays attention at the time, but if the Broncos draft a D-Lineman or an O-Lineman you can jump in and say how much of a genius you were for calling it months ahead of time. Weak.

bombquixote
01-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Rasta, I think this the first post of yours I've ever read where you didn't go out of your way to blow Marshal. For this, I rep you. Good job, buddy.

TDmvp
01-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Quickest way for McD to win in the long run!

COMMENTS......

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bridge-jumper-1.jpghttp://photography.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Photography/Images/POD/b/bridge-jump-516971-ga.jpg

Popps
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
This blank check - is it 2 years? 3? 4?

Based on this rationale, the fans should nod and smile until McDaniels retires, regardless of his record.

Yea, well... just more than 1 playoff win in ten years.

Let's start there.

Popps
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Hate to be Negative Nancy.

Dude, the good news is... no one takes anything you say seriously. So, don't sweat it.

Popps
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Fortifying the lines won't predestine us to losing. Quite the contrary. If we could control the interior LOS and run for 1 yard when we need to, we'd be in the playoffs already.

There's nothing more disgusting than needing a few inches and not being able to pick it up.

Absolutely continue to build up the lines.

We did a major reshuffle in the defensive front 7, and it paid immediate dividends. We've still got work to do, but for one off-season... our front 7 improvement was phenomenal.

We've got to continue to bolster both lines. We need impact guys up front. It's time for us to starting dictating the pace of games again.

azbroncfan
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Easy solution, upgrade the talent on the roster so you can score more points than the other team.

Mr
01-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure I can bring myself to accept 2-4 years of lowered expectations.
As much as I know Its required, the idea of "rebuilding" AGAIN is as tempting as eating a bowl of puke. How much "rebuilding" does one team have to endure. Every year I'm left with a gut feeling that we are better than this, that we could have and should have performed better than we did with the roster that we had. This was another one of those years.

As much as the off season changes that we made last year shocked me, I believed in them. And as much as the way we ended this season kills me, we still finished better than I thought we would on week 1.

I hope that this "rebuilding" period isn't as long as 2-4 years. Depending on how this off season & draft go, it could be quicker.

and on that note of optimism, I'll go back to bashing my face on this desk.

ScottXray
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure I can bring myself to accept 2-4 years of lowered expectations.
As much as I know Its required, the idea of "rebuilding" AGAIN is as tempting as eating a bowl of puke. How much "rebuilding" does one team have to endure. Every year I'm left with a gut feeling that we are better than this, that we could have and should have performed better than we did with the roster that we had. This was another one of those years.

As much as the off season changes that we made last year shocked me, I believed in them. And as much as the way we ended this season kills me, we still finished better than I thought we would on week 1.

I hope that this "rebuilding" period isn't as long as 2-4 years. Depending on how this off season & draft go, it could be quicker.

and on that note of optimism, I'll go back to bashing my face on this desk.
Rebuilding WITH a plan for implementing a system is different than rebuilding with no idea of how or who to bring on board.

And rebuilding without building the lines is something we have seen for the last 5 years.

Hopefully it won't take that long , but I think we will continue for another year of .500 before we see real results and break through. SIGH!

DawnBTVS
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I really like that the defense was dramatically improved (+124 points allowed) despite playing what many thought is/was the toughest schedule in the NFL. Scoring wise, the team was still comparable to the 2006/2007 seasons so I think the team's definitely moving in the right direction. If they can get the points allowed down to around 300, that would be an ideal goal as that was the range when the Broncos were going 10-6/10-6/13-3.

The biggest improvement should be in point differential as is obvious. I think that'll come with improved line coaching and an improved running game overall. Denver ranked 18th in Rushing, 22nd in Rushing TD, and 17th in Rushing YPC. Passing wise, they ranked 13th in Yards, 16th in TD, and a great 7th in INT.

The lack of consistency from Moreno (3.8) and Jordan (3.4) really hurt the team as Buckhalter, when healthy, was putting up a 5.4 YPC behind that line and was an equally effective receiver out of the backfield.

Defensively, stop the run. They ranked 11th in Rushing TD allowed but an awful 26th in Rushing. Teams didn't pass on them much because they knew they could just run over them and that comes down to the NT generating pressure through the middle and the LBs hitting the gaps fast.

rastaman
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I get it... someone hacked Rasta's account.

Funny.

Don't be a hater Pops. You know this make sense. There are more OL and DL players available in the draft that can improve your team/Off--Def.schemes than any skilled positions in the draft.

It only makes sense to target the positions which has the most players to choose from. Not to mention during our 4 game losing and our 2-8 finish, the DL couldn't stop the run and the OL couldn't open up running lanes or pick up 3rd and short.

We have all seen that McD's Offense is based upon short passing plays to reduce throwing interceptions and running the ball to take time off the clock, so you need a robust-hulking power blocking Off. Linemen to make it work. Then, to compensate for a low scoring offense, you'll need a robust DL that can stop the run and get the bal back to your offense so they can continue to grind down the opposing Defenses with their 4 yards and a cloud of dust OL and RBBC and the short passing schemes.

So McD for the next 2 years should solely concentrate on upgrading and improving the OL and DL with his players since its his system he wants wants to run. Why shouldn't McD who has 3 years left on his contract spend the next 2 years revamping his Achilles heel or weakest link which happens to be the OL and DL. Why not use our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks solely on OL and DL players and you find 2 more OL or DL players via FA.

Then use the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds on position of need. If you ask why draft so many players on just 2 positions....you do so to hedge your bets that not all the picks will pan out but you just need to get it right with just two OL and DL players who are keepers in 2010 and 2011.

Then by McD's 4th and final year of his contract, the Broncos should be for real and ready to make some noise as in winning 12-15 games and who knows what happens once the post season starts.

This way McD probably signs a new contract for 6 more years and who knows we now have a Dynasty with the Denver Broncos.

The only catch here this format MAY require some set backs in terms of only winning 5 or 6 games for the next two years. I'm willing to endure 2 consecutive losing seasons while rebuilding the OL and DL that could ensure we win consistently over the next 6-10 years. A dominate OL and DL ensures you go 8-0 in November and December. Then when the playoffs starts, once again your OL and DL will ensure you continue to have a greatest chance of winning it all.

rastaman
01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Rasta, I think this the first post of yours I've ever read where you didn't go out of your way to blow Marshal. For this, I rep you. Good job, buddy.

Thank you Luke Sky Walker......May The Force Be With You.:strong:

DenverBrit
01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Rasta see's the light!!

http://www.coldiamond.com/1a%20large%20img/reaching-for-the-light-blk.jpg

rastaman
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd say this is one of those threads people plant. No one really pays attention at the time, but if the Broncos draft a D-Lineman or an O-Lineman you can jump in and say how much of a genius you were for calling it months ahead of time. Weak.

STFU Dark Vader. Is it possible for you to swallow a box of "Razor" Blades to ensure the progress and survival of human race and global civilization?

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding....Dumb Billy.;D

oubronco
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow

rastaman
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Rasta see's the light!!

http://www.coldiamond.com/1a%20large%20img/reaching-for-the-light-blk.jpg

Rasta see's the light.....the only question does McD see the light? Lets hope so.

Popps
01-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't be a hater Popps. .

Dude, if you know one thing about me as a fan... it should be that you'll never have to sell me on the idea that championships are built on the lines.

I'm just in disbelief that you could post something that rational.

atomicbloke
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
If this is the best way forward, I am wondering why McD didn't start implementing this blue-print from his first year on the job?

Why did he waste picks on Moreno and Alphonso Smith when he could have picked up talent along the lines?

bronco militia
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM
IMO, mcdaniels has one more year to get this team a playoff win

see wade phillips

Archer81
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
If this is the best way forward, I am wondering why McD didn't start implementing this blue-print from his first year on the job?

Why did he waste picks on Moreno and Alphonso Smith when he could have picked up talent along the lines?

Did the interior of our offensive line cave in like it did this season last year? Nope. McDaniels is a football coach, not Kreskin.

atomicbloke
01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Did the interior of our offensive line cave in like it did this season last year? Nope. McDaniels is a football coach, not Kreskin.

McD would have known he wanted to move away from ZBS. Our existing interior line of Weigman, and Hamilton were unsuited for a power blocking scheme, and they were long in the tooth. Oline take time to develop, surely he could have gone that direction last year.... I am sure he has a plan, but I just don't see it. He moves away from ZBS, when he doesn't have the OL to execute it, picks Moreno, Alphonso and Quinn with out first 3 picks..... I am just not seeing a coherent plan in this... It was known that this year's draft would be a ver y deep one due to the impending lockout.... the decision to trade away the 1st for a CB made absolutely no sense in my book.... if it was traded away for a power blocking guard or center or a stud DL, maybe we could see the logic.....

Archer81
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
McD would have known he wanted to move away from ZBS. Our existing interior line of Weigman, and Hamilton were unsuited for a power blocking scheme, and they were long in the tooth. Oline take time to develop, surely he could have gone that direction last year.... I am sure he has a plan, but I just don't see it. He moves away from ZBS, when he doesn't have the OL to execute it, picks Moreno, Alphonso and Quinn with out first 3 picks..... I am just not seeing a coherent plan in this... It was known that this year's draft would be a ver y deep one due to the impending lockout.... the decision to trade away the 1st for a CB made absolutely no sense in my book.... if it was traded away for a power blocking guard or center or a stud DL, maybe we could see the logic.....

I think he knew he would draft guys for the scheme he wanted eventually, but I doubt he figured that the LG and C play would be a revolving door like it was this past season, or that Ryan Harris would miss 13 games. It exposed our line and hampered the offense's ability to chew up yardage at key times. Defensively we found 3 great rotational players in McBean, Peterson and Fields, with more size and physicality added through the next draft or FA period.

DawnBTVS
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Despite not being early round picks, people need to remember that McDaniels did draft G Seth Olsen in the 4th Round out of Iowa and C Blake Schlueter in the 7th Round out of TCU.

It's not like McDaniels completely forgot about getting younger along the O-Line, it's just that he selected guys with 2nd Day picks rather than a pick in the 1st three rounds and those guys are more developmental projects who ideally should be able to step in and help fill a role for the 2010 season after a year of sitting and watching.

gyldenlove
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Despite not being early round picks, people need to remember that McDaniels did draft G Seth Olsen in the 4th Round out of Iowa and C Blake Schlueter in the 7th Round out of TCU.

It's not like McDaniels completely forgot about getting younger along the O-Line, it's just that he selected guys with 2nd Day picks rather than a pick in the 1st three rounds and those guys are more developmental projects who ideally should be able to step in and help fill a role for the 2010 season after a year of sitting and watching.

One of them was so developmentally challenged he got fired before the season.

Here is still what gets me, Mcdaniels is very good with offensive coaching, that is a given. How could he not figure out that playing 3 interior linemen that average below 300 pounds is not going to work when you want to run a power blocking scheme and gap assignment? I knew that, hell Tom Cable knows that. So why did he do it anyway?
Did he want to make a point to the fans so he could defend drafting offensive linemen and signing offensive linemen in the off season? He doesn't seem to care much what people think so I doubt it.
Did he do it because he doesn't know better? I really doubt that.
Did he do it because he thought he was so good he could make it work when nobody else could? I wouldn't rule this one out - especially since he didn't change anything when he realised things were not working.

gyldenlove
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I think the real reason is that he wasn't ready. He was unprepared for the amount of decisions he had to make and with no GM in place nobody could help him and make the player decisions.

Mcdaniels scouted some players in a hurry and fell in love with some of them. When they happened to be available he picked them and traded to get the players he wanted. I think if we had a GM with experience some of the decisions we made last year would not have been made.

I think this is something all rookie head coaches have to go through if they don't have a GM to help out, and hopefully Mcdaniels have learned his lesson and won't make the same mistakes twice.

Dagmar
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
The thread title still cracks me up!

fontaine
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Yea, well... just more than 1 playoff win in ten years.

Let's start there.

Speaking of starting there, the real line should read two superbowls and one playoff win. Yeah let's start there indeed.

atomicbloke
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I think the real reason is that he wasn't ready. He was unprepared for the amount of decisions he had to make and with no GM in place nobody could help him and make the player decisions.

Mcdaniels scouted some players in a hurry and fell in love with some of them. When they happened to be available he picked them and traded to get the players he wanted. I think if we had a GM with experience some of the decisions we made last year would not have been made.

I think this is something all rookie head coaches have to go through if they don't have a GM to help out, and hopefully Mcdaniels have learned his lesson and won't make the same mistakes twice.

Then it falls on Bowlen's shoulders.

He knew his head coach was brilliant with offensive scheming but inexperienced with personnel decisions. Why didn't he insist on a GM with a good record.... was he so strapped for cash?

listopencil
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
STFU Dark Vader. Is it possible for you to swallow a box of "Razor" Blades to ensure the progress and survival of human race and global civilization?

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding....Dumb Billy.;D

Go **** yourself.

Popps
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Speaking of starting there, the real line should read two superbowls and one playoff win. Yeah let's start there indeed.

It's 2010. Our Superbowls were in the 90s.

Ten seasons.

One playoff win.

Do the math, Chief.

mr007
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Then it falls on Bowlen's shoulders.

He knew his head coach was brilliant with offensive scheming but inexperienced with personnel decisions. Why didn't he insist on a GM with a good record.... was he so strapped for cash?

This is what has been baffling me. Why did we get rid of the Goodman's?

Bronco Yoda
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, I see this thread is going well. Carry on...

ZONA
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/darth-enigmus/thread-fail-stamp.gif