PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire I used steroids ...

TDmvp
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Duh ... But i guess he finally fessed up...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/mcgwire-i-used-steroids/article1427349/

Dagmar
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I am shocked. Shocked I tells ya!

Meck77
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Won't belong before his book comes out. Cha Ching!

bombay
01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Won't belong before his book comes out.

I suspect his coming clean now has more to do with preventing a media circus at spring training now that he's the Cardinals hitting coach.

TDmvp
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I suspect his coming clean now has more to do with preventing a media circus at spring training now that he's the Cardinals hitting coach.

yupyup ...

SouthStndJunkie
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Good for Big Mac for opening up and talking about it.

OBF1
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
It is what it is... no one is going to be suprised by the news. On a personal level, it does not change a thing for me, he was fun to watch as a ball player and back in 98 he and Sosa pretty much saved baseball.

And let's face it, chicks dig the long ball :)

Meck77
01-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Hmm..Didn't realize that. Well in that case. Better late then never I suppose.

Popeye wasn't fooling anyone as it was.

jhat01
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM

That, and perhaps future HOF consideration.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Damn! I thought he was going to confess to knocking up Sarah Palin.

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Its baseball, who cares.

WolfpackGuy
01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Nahhh...

broncocalijohn
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Mark McGwire did steroids. The sky is blue. Raider suck.

Alex, what is things that are already known and dont need any report to tell us.

Correct for $1000.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Untrue. Obviously Big Mac misremembered...

Sincerely,

The Rocket

bombay
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Roger Maris is the Home Run King.

bombay
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Untrue. Obviously Big Mac misremembered...

Sincerely,

The Rocket

Actually, he wasn't stupid enough to lie to congress like Clemons did.

What he said was, "I'm not here to talk about the past."

Reprehensible, most likely, but not a lie.

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Baseball might become a relevant sport if a few things happened.

1. Stop fighting the whole what counts * for steroids...Barry Bonds is evil thing.

2. Get rid of Selig.

3. Really get rid of Selig...how can a baseball game end in a tie.

4. I don't care if it was an all star game how big of a retard do you have to be to let a game end in a tie.

But there's gotta be someone out there that can run baseball better than the bumbling retard that he projects on the world.

bombay
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
http://thesportsreportgirl.com/Blog%20Pics%20after%2010-14/Sammy%20Sosa%20White.jpg

In an ancillary story, Sammy Sosa just admitted he used race altering drugs.

peacepipe
01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
That, and perhaps future HOF consideration.

I don't think he'll ever get in. The integrity of the HOF is a lot more important than McGuire getting in. That and him,Bonds & Sosa will be the posterboys for why not to use steroids.

TDmvp
01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
http://thesportsreportgirl.com/Blog%20Pics%20after%2010-14/Sammy%20Sosa%20White.jpg

In an ancillary story, Sammy Sosa just admitted he used race altering drugs.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!
O no you didn't heheh...

loborugger
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Good for Big Mac for opening up and talking about it.

I cynically think there is an ulterior motive here. Its becoming obvious that he wont make the HOF. Additionally, he will never make the HOF as long as a layer of deceit lies over him. I bet he thinks if he owns it now, in 5/6 years the voters will forgive him and let him in. Nothing about being honest, nothing about fessing up, its just about seeing the recent baseball HOF voting and reading the tea leaves.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Roger Maris is the Home Run King.

Yup, all the steroid era records should be thrown out of the book. MVP's like Ken Caminiti's should be thrown out of the book also.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think he'll ever get in. The integrity of the HOF is a lot more important than McGuire getting in. That and him,Bonds & Sosa will be the posterboys for why not to use steroids.

They better not let Arod in then either. Or the Rocket.

gtown
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Baseball is irrelevant until there is a stricter salary cap to even up the playing field. No more using the Pirates and Royals as farm teams for the Sox, Mets, and Yanks.

Cito Pelon
Baseball might become a relevant sport if a few things happened.

1. Stop fighting the whole what counts * for steroids...Barry Bonds is evil thing.

2. Get rid of Selig.

3. Really get rid of Selig...how can a baseball game end in a tie.

4. I don't care if it was an all star game how big of a retard do you have to be to let a game end in a tie.

But there's gotta be someone out there that can run baseball better than the bumbling retard that he projects on the world.

MLB hasn't been a relevant sport since 1986, IMO.

That's about when the steroid era kicked in.

Rohirrim
Yup, all the steroid era records should be thrown out of the book. MVP's like Ken Caminiti's should be thrown out of the book also.

I agree. If you used, you get removed from the books. .

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
MLB hasn't been a relevant sport since 1986, IMO.

That's about when the steroid era kicked in.

I could care less about the steroids...I mean if they are going to test, then test, make it damning and worth something instead of what they did. However, make it public as well. Baseball covering it up, looking the other way, or denying it is what makes the sport irrelevant. When you can watch a game and tell a guy is juicing...watch Barry Bonds and Bobby Bo on the Pirates early in Barry's career.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I have to high-five myself for calling out the steroid era. I called it back in 1986 when Lennie Dykstra showed up in Spring Training 40 lbs of pure muscle bigger than in October of 1985. Then Ron Gant showed up 40 lbs of pure muscle, then you name 'em. All these marginal players showed up having near HOF years all of a sudden.

MLB guys suddenly popped out all over the place looking like pro wrestlers. But I was an idiot. I'm happy to be proven right. It goes to show you if you know you're right, keep after it.

There's a lot of records that should be scrubbed from the books.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Baseball players have been abusing drugs to compete since the 50's. The idea that this era is any less "tainted" than other eras is far-fetched. Personally I don't care if athletes take PED's, but lets not act like this is a new thing that started in the 90's.

To add to that. Steriods were not illegal in baseball until a few years ago.

DrFate
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Baseball players have been abusing drugs to compete since the 50's. The idea that this era is any less "tainted" than other eras is far-fetched. Personally I don't care if athletes take PED's, but lets not act like this is a new thing that started in the 90's.

To add to that. Steriods were not illegal in baseball until a few years ago.

Garcia, always one of my favorite posters.

The guys in the 80's took cocaine. The guys in the 70's took speed. None of this is new. (and yes, cocaine and speed can improve reflexes, help you play that day after a night game, etc.)

Nobody endorses this PED stuff - but Mike Schmidt, of all people, admitted to popping 'greenies' to help him last the long season. We pulling his bust too? It's tragic. But it is reality.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Absolutely. Look at Canseco, the god people made him out to be, the first 30 Hr/30 SB guy, the first 40 HR/40 SB guy.

I raised the red flag on that and said it was steroid-fueled, and I was ridiculed. Canseco had MVP's, right? You get them out of the record books.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM

The guys in the 80's took cocaine. The guys in the 70's took speed. None of this is new. (and yes, cocaine and speed can improve reflexes, help you play that day after a night game, etc.)

Nobody endorses this PED stuff - but Mike Schmidt, of all people, admitted to popping 'greenies' to help him last the long season. We pulling his bust too? It's tragic. But it is reality.

Guys in the 50's and 60's took uppers to pay attention in the outfield.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Then yank Hank Arron...Maris...say goodbye to Micky as well.

Cool Breeze
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Kind of makes you wonder about the Blake Street Bombers...
Dante was kind of fiesty

DrFate
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
My question for the HOF voters: are you really prepared to not vote anyone who played in the 90's/00's?

Some failed a test (ARod, Raffy, Manny)
Some got the law after them (Bonds, Clemens)
Some came out (McGwire, Petite)

If you add these guys to the guys who hear the whispers - who is left?

Are you really going to have a 15-20 year period where the Hall simply 'goes dark'??

broncocalijohn
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Then yank Hank Arron...Maris...say goodbye to Micky as well.

i knew Garcia Bronco would make an ass of himself. If he isnt protecting Barry Bonds, it is McGwire. You think he is in the steroids business. Please tell us GB what Aaron, Maris and Mickey were on? Beer for Mickey is one, but I dont think that helped his swing.

broncocalijohn
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
My question for the HOF voters: are you really prepared to not vote anyone who played in the 90's/00's?

Are you really going to have a 15-20 year period where the Hall simply 'goes dark'??

There are guys like Gwynn, Ripkin, Griffey and Boggs that go in without any questions of steroids. Not too many players can be on an elite list without fulling knowing if they were clean. The usual suspects? No way. You cant penalize everyone for the steroid mess.

DrFate
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Please tell us GB what Aaron, Maris and Mickey were on?

Try reading his post?

DrFate
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
There are guys like Gwynn, Ripkin, Griffey and Boggs that go in without any questions of steroids. Not too many players can be on an elite list without fulling knowing if they were clean.

There is no such thing as 'without any questions' or 'fully knowing if they were clean' in this era. I've heard whispers about Griffey too...

What should that mean? Nothing... (innocent until proven guilty)

What does it mean? Sadly, in this era everyone is under a cloud.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
i knew Garcia Bronco would make an ass of himself. If he isnt protecting Barry Bonds, it is McGwire. You think he is in the steroids business. Please tell us GB what Aaron, Maris and Mickey were on? Beer for Mickey is one, but I dont think that helped his swing.

Greenies. It's out there in several places.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brandon-perkins/mickey-mantle-used-perfor_b_165408.html

Bonds didn't do anything other baseball players didn't do. Not only that but what he took wasn't illegal in baseball nor the United States. Its not about "protecting" Bonds....its about calling out the bull****.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
So what is a greenie? It sounds so tame. It's a lesser form of meth. Awesome.

bombay
01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
If you are going to go after the entire steroid era in the record books, there are plenty of pitchers that were involved as well.

I don't think at this point there is anything MLB can do about it, and it's going to be a let the buyer beware sort of thing regarding all the players and their records. MLB tacitly approved as well. They were losing paying customers to more exciting sports, and, as they say (said), chicks dig the long ball.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM

If you add these guys to the guys who hear the whispers - who is left?

Yes. Because it was a 'dark' era in MLB. It's insulting to the guys that played clean to allow the cheaters another moment in the sun. The guys that played clean got cheated out of awards they should have had, to award the cheaters further awards I don't agree with that.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes. Because it was a 'dark' era in MLB. It's insulting to the guys that played clean to allow the cheaters another moment in the sun. The guys that played clean got cheated out of awards they should have had, to award the cheaters further awards I don't agree with that.

You gonna yank all of them from the 60's on?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Yawn

SouthStndJunkie
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I cynically think there is an ulterior motive here. Its becoming obvious that he wont make the HOF. Additionally, he will never make the HOF as long as a layer of deceit lies over him. I bet he thinks if he owns it now, in 5/6 years the voters will forgive him and let him in. Nothing about being honest, nothing about fessing up, its just about seeing the recent baseball HOF voting and reading the tea leaves.

I think he admitted to using because he is the new hitting coach in St. Louis and did not want that **** always looming over him and the team and being a major distraction, which it would have.

TexanBob
01-11-2010, 03:11 PM

:thumbsup:

loborugger
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I think he admitted to using because he is the new hitting coach in St. Louis and did not want that **** always looming over him and the team and being a major distraction, which it would have.

Maybe so, maybe so. But, he got hired a while back to be the hitting coach while the voting for the HOF was just last week.

bowtown
01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
No one could have ever seen this coming. It will be a crushing blow to the perception of baseball.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Bronco LB52
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Tom House, former Rangers pitching coach, said a few years ago he and other pitchers were experimenting with steroids and other PEDs in the 1960s.

I have talked to scouts that have told me that position players were using anabolic steroids in the 1970s.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
ESPN's piece of **** journalist Tim Kurkjian says he'll still vote for McGwire for the HOF. The POS says it woulde be a "travesty" to take the record away from mcGwire.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
In 1938, the great Hank Greenberg swatted 58 home runs.

Prior to 1998, Greenberg's feat was the fourth best single-season home run total in MLB history.

Today Hammerin' Hank (the original) only ranks 10th on the list:(

http://joeyballgame.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/hank-greenberg.jpg

loborugger
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
ESPN's piece of **** journalist Tim Kurkjian says he'll still vote for McGwire for the HOF. The POS says it woulde be a "travesty" to take the record away from mcGwire.

And there you have it. This isnt an admission to get into the HOF this coming season. Its an admission to get into the HOF in 5 to 10 years.