PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain declares for draft

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain, the centerpiece of the Crimson Tide's national championship defense, announced Monday that he was skipping his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

McClain won the Butkus Award this season as the top linebacker in college football and led the Crimson Tide in tackles. He was a three-year starter and has been calling the defensive signals since he was a freshman.

Alabama coach Nick Saban has called McClain one of the smartest players he's ever coached.

"I'm going to leave the university pretty satisfied with what I've done here," McClain said.

Most projections have McClain going in the top half of the first round.

Pick Six
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
That's not a surprise. It will be interesting to see if we have a chance to get him...:thumbs:

jmz313
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
top 10 pick. lets hope we win that coin toss.

montrose
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Wrong Alabama boy, bring the beef!

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/04/medium_Terrence%20Cody.jpg

OBF1
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Trade Marshall and get both of them Bama boys :)

Requiem
Be sure to bring an ambulance and emergency response crew as well if we draft Cody. Dude might choke on a turkey leg during his draft party when he gets the big call.

Dagmar
Please fall to us! Jacksonville will be taking Tebow right?

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Holy hell, dude has more tires than the local Autoparts store.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
What really bothers me is that we'll probably be looking at McClain twice a year for years to come in the mustard and ketchup. Good story: Saban told McClain to dress up a bit and report to his office. McClain comes in, not knowing what's up, and sits down to talk to Saban. Suddenly, Dick Butkus walks in and hands him the award. Rolando said he just stood there with his jaw dropped.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Be sure to bring an ambulance and emergency response crew as well if we draft Cody. Dude might choke on a turkey leg during his draft party when he gets the big call.

Ah, the cliques are forming up. This will be a fun off-season. :welcome:

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
If McClain is gone who is everybody's top choice?

Pick Six
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
What really bothers me is that we'll probably be looking at McClain twice a year for years to come in the mustard and ketchup. Good story: Saban told McClain to dress up a bit and report to his office. McClain comes in, not knowing what's up, and sits down to talk to Saban. Suddenly, Dick Butkus walks in and hands him the award. Rolando said he just stood their with his jaw dropped.

Defensive line isn't a huge need for KC, IMO. They need a player such as Russell Okung to protect Cassel...

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry, Dick Butkus.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Defensive line isn't a huge need for KC, IMO. They need a player such as Russell Okung to protect Cassel...

Well, McClain plays ILB. So it'll work for them methinks. All they've really got is Hali. They need some help there.

jhat01
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
ah, the cliques are forming up. This will be a fun off-season. :welcome:

fall in!!:giggle:

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, McClain plays ILB. So it'll work for them methinks. All they've really got is Hali. They need some help there.

...and Derrick Johnson for those days they play us.

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Right now my top 3 looks like so:

1. Sam Bradford (pipe dream I know)
2. Rolando Mcclain
3. Joe Haden

Requiem
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Ah, the cliques are forming up. This will be a fun off-season. :welcome:

If we take Cody, I'm not going to be pissed because it is a high risk/high reward pick. It addresses a position of need, and if he can become an elite NT -- that'd be fine. I think there are better options available, and better players who are more capable of playing the position than he is.

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Holy hell, dude has more tires than the local Autoparts store.

Autopart stores carry tires?

SpringStein
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Right now my top 3 looks like so:

1. Sam Bradford (pipe dream I know)
2. Rolando Mcclain
3. Joe Haden

That's a pretty good priority.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM

No clue, but I can tell you I don't want to see Haden, Bradford, or Bryant with their pick.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
If we take Cody, I'm not going to be pissed because it is a high risk/high reward pick. It addresses a position of need, and if he can become an elite NT -- that'd be fine. I think there are better options available, and better players who are more capable of playing the position than he is.

I think the Combine will be very important for Cody. He's got to prove he's willing to do what it takes to go to the next level. If he just lies around stuffing himself for a couple of months and shows up unable to perform, he's going to lose millions.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2010, 01:52 PM
If Cody falls to the Broncos and you have to choose between Cody and McClain, you take Cody. McClain is probably the safer pick, but you can't have a stellar 3-4 without a stellar NT and Cody is so damn big, you'd have to take a chance on him. Granted, it's an expensive chance, but the payoff is huge.

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Autopart stores carry tires?

They do here.

no-pseudo-fan
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
A starting LB core of Ayers- McClain- DJ-Doom sounds good to me. We will see...

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey, just think of it this way - If Cody doesn't work at NT, he can fill in at FB. ;D

I love that goal line play where Saban puts Cody in to block. Imagine being the LB and seeing that coming at ya. Hilarious!

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Cody at 10 would be a reach even though its a huge need for us.

bombay
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM

I agree with this. I think it might be possible to trade for two lower first rounders and pick up both Cody and a stud left guard.

DenverBroncosJM
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Cody at ten seems like a waste if we have to and Mclain etc. are gone and we are going for or second of third choice I would rather trade back 5 or so spots and get another 3rd or maybe a second.

watermock
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey, just think of it this way - If Cody doesn't work at NT, he can fill in at FB. ;D

I love that goal line play where Saban puts Cody in to block. Imagine being the LB and seeing that coming at ya. Hilarious!

This is such a better draft. Can't believe we didn't get 1 impact player in 09.

Cody won't be picked by McD. Guarantee it, he also won't pick a QB till the second day.

He'll probably reach for a WR.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/12951/nfl-draft-defensive-tackles

"The famous “Planet Theory” — originated by the late great N.Y. Giants executive George Young and popularized by Parcells — states that there are a finite number of athletic 300-pounders on Earth. And when a team has a chance to draft one, it should."

I wonder if there's a separate Planet Theory on 350 pounders?

I still can't decide where I stand on drafting Cody, it's so tempting though.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
This is such a better draft. Can't believe we didn't get 1 impact player in 09.

Cody won't be picked by McD. Guarantee it, he also won't pick a QB till the second day.

He'll probably reach for a WR.

I don't know about that. He saw what Wilfork did for the Pats 3/4. He knows he can't get far without a dominating NT. Maybe he'll make a try for Wilfork first, but I wouldn't count Cody out.

gtown
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
It's gonna take three years for the Broncos to draft and train a dominating NT. By that time, McD might be gone. I say we go after Franklin from SF to be our NT or see how Fields and Baker fare.

Draft McClain to replace an aging Davis, and get the best available interior OL with our second pick. If I am not mistaken, there are lots of guys who can play 5-tech in this draft, as opposed to last year.

GoBroncos84
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM

I'd be very happy if we took McClain in the first and Cody in the 2nd. I know Cody may not be there, but if he falls due to him being a 2 down player and questionable conditioning, I would be all over that. Much less risk taking him in the 2nd.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
We can draft Cody, but he won't be good for 2-3 years because he's too fat to compete at 5280

Cool Breeze
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Trade Marshall and get both of them Bama boys :)

dingdingding!
I like it!:sunshine:

skpac1001
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM

"The famous “Planet Theory” — originated by the late great N.Y. Giants executive George Young and popularized by Parcells — states that there are a finite number of athletic 300-pounders on Earth. And when a team has a chance to draft one, it should."

Cody has the 350 pound part down pat, and that is before he gets a big paycheck. The athletic part, though, I think is in question.
I personally like Dan Williams better right now. Senior bowl performances should be revealing.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
We can draft Cody, but he won't be good for 2-3 years because he's too fat to compete at 5280

Is that even how it works? I thought your blood levels (hemoglobin or whatever) adjust to the new surroudings after a week.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Cody has the 350 pound part down pat, and that is before he gets a big paycheck. The athletic part, though, I think is in question.
I personally like Dan Williams better right now. Senior bowl performances should be revealing.

Dan Williams...*shudder* What an unfortunate name to have.

Yeah I'm always worried about the big bodies, but have to give Cody credit, so far I've seen no sign of laziness or lack of commitment. Coming out of JuCo they said he was way too heavy (410 or something??) so he dropped to 360 or something last year. They told him that was too heavy, so he dropped to 350 or so this year. (All weights are estimated based on my terrible memory, I read it in a magazine somewhere.)

jhat01
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Man, I didn't think he was a pound over 5275!

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
If Cody falls to the Broncos and you have to choose between Cody and McClain, you take Cody. McClain is probably the safer pick, but you can't have a stellar 3-4 without a stellar NT and Cody is so damn big, you'd have to take a chance on him. Granted, it's an expensive chance, but the payoff is huge.

No you don't! Cody at best will be a 2-down player. McClain with his size and speed should be a 3-down player.

Beantown Bronco
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM

What if the Pats decide not to tag Wilfork and they let him test FA?

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
What if the Pats decide not to tag Wilfork and they let him test FA?

Then McD better be on the phones getting Vince to denver!

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM

What do you mean if he falls to the Broncos? Cody's a massive reach at 10.

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM

325 is the new 300 when it comes to weight. College players are getting bigger and fatter.

RaiderH8r
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
No you don't! Cody at best will be a 2-down player. McClain with his size and speed should be a 3-down player.

But for those two downs he's going to tie up 2-3 blockers each time. So figure he's worth 4-6 blockers/series where McClain would be 3. I know it bites because LBs are always the fun pick but if you're gonna run that 3-4 a big fat bus sized NT makes quite a bit of difference.

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
What do you mean if he falls to the Broncos? Cody's a massive reach at 10.

It depends on the Combine. I would say he's a "slight" reach. He's one of the most potent two-gappers I've seen in a long time. What if he's another Ted Washington? You don't pass that up. When you watch the Bama games, there's a ripple of excitement when Cody is out there. He makes things happen.

Inkana7
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Man, I didn't think he was a pound over 5275!

He was talking about the altitude, chief.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
It depends on the Combine. I would say he's a "slight" reach. He's one of the most potent two-gappers I've seen in a long time. What if he's another Ted Washington? You don't pass that up. When you watch the Bama games, there's a ripple of excitement when Cody is out there. He makes things happen.

Slight? I still say come next April he goes in the 2nd round, if he goes in the 1st, he sneaks in at the end.

A 2-down player is not going to go at #10 or #11 in this year's draft.

DBroncos4life
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Beef and fat tub of lard are too different things.

azbroncfan
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Sign Wilfork and Draft McClain there at 10

Rohirrim
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM

I'm all for that. :~ohyah!:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Broncos target Wilfork, Seymour or Mankins.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Based on a blurb on PFT this morning it sounds like Wilfork is expecting to get tagged and isn't looking forward to it. Don't rule out a trade for him, the two teams seem to be comfortable dealing with each other.

Drek
01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
What really bothers me is that we'll probably be looking at McClain twice a year for years to come in the mustard and ketchup. Good story: Saban told McClain to dress up a bit and report to his office. McClain comes in, not knowing what's up, and sits down to talk to Saban. Suddenly, Dick Butkus walks in and hands him the award. Rolando said he just stood there with his jaw dropped.

The cheffies FO expressed a preference for positional value over raw talent last year when they took Tyson Jackson over about five other guys who also addressed need positions. I don't think they'll go LB in the top 5 when they could get a LT and move Brandon Albert inside to guard.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
The cheffies FO expressed a preference for positional value over raw talent last year when they took Tyson Jackson over about five other guys who also addressed need positions. I don't think they'll go LB in the top 5 when they could get a LT and move Brandon Albert inside to guard.

Ummm excuse me? You're surely not suggesting that THE Brandon Albert isn't good enough to play left tackle? Do you know how high he was drafted? LOL

KCStud
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Nope. Albert struggled throughout a lot of the season because he was 35 pounds lighter and had to rely more on technique. He played lights out the last month dominating every pass rusher he faced, including Dumerville.
Oh and there are no LT's worth a top 5 pick this year. Neither is a WR or NT. McClain however is worth it because of his value and skill. Might as well face it guys. You're going to see Eric Berry or Rolando McClain for a very long time :thanku:

Traveler
01-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Anyone know for sure if Seymour will actually be available?

Popps
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Anyone know for sure if Seymour will actually be available?

Not until after the season, when the Raiders are expected to franchise tag him.

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Am I the only one who wants Myron Rolle in the 3rd round? He is a great talent, he is a Rhodes scholar and a dude I wouldn't mind seeing running this defense.

DivineLegion
01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I dont know why people want cody, hes nothing not going to be an elite NT in the NFL hes going to be a rotational player with very little upside. He is just freaking huge...I get that, but what will that do for defense. We are much better off keeping Ron Fields around, he did a great job last year he just wore down. Bring Baker along (kid is going to be a stud if he is coached properly) and focus on bigger holes in the defense.

Brian Price would be a great pick up for us. Hes got the size and athletisism to be a great 3-4 DE, which is exactly what the Broncos need. Rolando McClain despite how his haters feel about him is one of those cant miss guys at 10. If we find a way to get two first round draft picks and we dont leave with McClain and Price we failed.

meangene
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I dont know why people want cody, hes nothing not going to be an elite NT in the NFL hes going to be a rotational player with very little upside. He is just freaking huge...I get that, but what will that do for defense. We are much better off keeping Ron Fields around, he did a great job last year he just wore down. Bring Baker along (kid is going to be a stud if he is coached properly) and focus on bigger holes in the defense.

Brian Price would be a great pick up for us. Hes got the size and athletisism to be a great 3-4 DE, which is exactly what the Broncos need. Rolando McClain despite how his haters feel about him is one of those cant miss guys at 10. If we find a way to get two first round draft picks and we dont leave with McClain and Price we failed.

This!

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Wow, really? Also: water is wet. Breaking news.

GoBroncos84
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM

This is the best case scenario, IMO.

DivineLegion
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I think Wilfork is restricted if the new CBA does not come through. He came in when he was close to his mid 20's so I think hes not eligable for FA until he is 29 or 30.

gunns
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I looked at 3 different mock drafts today and everyone had us taking McClain at 11 and Pike later on.

DivineLegion
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Pike is overrated, take a freaking guard in the second or im going to march on dove valley!

gunns
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Pike is overrated, take a freaking guard in the second or im going to march on dove valley!

Pike was further down in the draft. I've never heard of him. I would like to see us take Iupati in the 2nd.

Most draft rankings have Williams ranked higher than Cody.

DivineLegion
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Pike was further down in the draft. I've never heard of him. I would like to see us take Iupati in the 2nd.

Most draft rankings have Williams ranked higher than Cody.

Iupati wont be there in the second, he might be a top 20 pick.

Pike is the QB out of Cinncy that got derailed in the sugar bowl.

Unless you want a player TFTP with decent atletic ability and very little up side just size Cody is your guy. To be honest I think after the combine Cody might be a 2nd round pick, hes not the kind of guy thats going to wow the scouts.

anton
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
If the broncos take a NT at 10, it should be dan williams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlpTXHZuDQo), not cody

Drek
01-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Nope. Albert struggled throughout a lot of the season because he was 35 pounds lighter and had to rely more on technique. He played lights out the last month dominating every pass rusher he faced, including Dumerville.
Oh and there are no LT's worth a top 5 pick this year. Neither is a WR or NT. McClain however is worth it because of his value and skill. Might as well face it guys. You're going to see Eric Berry or Rolando McClain for a very long time :thanku:

1. Brandon Albert gave up what, 10 sacks on the year? Stringing together a few good games doesn't cover up for the failures of the rest of the season.

2. Russell Okung is a hell of a lot more worthy of a top 5 pick than Tyson Jackson. And you'll probably get Joe Hadden before Eric Berry, or Derrick Morgan before Rolando McClain. Pioli passed on a superior LB talent in Aaron Curry last year to over pick Jackson because of positional value. Its a legacy thought process from the Patriots. The only problem is that the Pats do it to fill immediate holes while the young guys is surrounded by solid to elite veteran talent. KC doesn't have nearly the talent to draft with a gap filling mindset, but that is how Pioli works.

watermock
01-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Hey Hey, there's only so much space on a 3x5.

Beantown Bronco
01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I think Wilfork is restricted if the new CBA does not come through. He came in when he was close to his mid 20's so I think hes not eligable for FA until he is 29 or 30.

Incorrect.

Wilfork has had 6 accrued seasons (rookie year was 2004), so no matter what happens with the CBA, he'll be an unrestricted FA when free agency opens.

Rohirrim
01-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I looked at 3 different mock drafts today and everyone had us taking McClain at 11 and Pike later on.

I would much prefer Canfield from Oregon State.

Chris
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Can anyone post a list of good mock drafts they've seen?

DivineLegion
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Incorrect.

Wilfork has had 6 accrued seasons (rookie year was 2004), so no matter what happens with the CBA, he'll be an unrestricted FA when free agency opens.

Then thats good news. :peace:

I still don't think that DT is one of our biggest needs. Ron Fields had a great start to the season he just wore down, as did the rest of the defense. If you go back and watch the first 5 games Ron was dominant, if we develop some sort of rotation I think he can maintain that level of play through the season, and our defense will be vastly improved. Defensive End help would help this situation too, if we can isolate some of the double teams he is facing and distribute the blocking schemes of teams we face evenly across our front 7 the overall wear and tear will decline.

Doggcow
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey Hey, there's only so much space on a 3x5.

I've fit entire textbooks on 3x5's.

jhat01
01-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Oh really, I thought he meant he really weighed 5000 pounds...It's called a joke, chief.