PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Philly QBs. (Non-Vick)

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
As Paulie Walnuts once said, "Somebody needs to go." It seems such is the situation in Philly.

Both McNabb and Kolb have a year left on their deals. Something may need to happen. Especially with another playoff disappointment.

The question: would you trade a mid-round pick for McNabb? Would you trade our first round pick for Kolb, who is young and looked good limited appearances? Would you do neither? If neither, do you stick with Orton or go a different route for a QB upgrade?

Discuss.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
As Paulie Walnuts once said, "Somebody needs to go." It seems such is the situation in Philly.

Both McNabb and Kolb have a year left on their deals. Something may need to happen. Especially with another playoff disappointment.

The question: would you trade a mid-round pick for McNabb? Would you trade our first round pick for Kolb, who is young and looked good limited appearances? Would you do neither? If neither, do you stick with Orton or go a different route for a QB upgrade?

Discuss.

I'm not a McNabb fan at all, and I'm not an Orton hater, but if he (McNabb) could be had for a mid round pick, I'd jump all over that.

I have to plead ignorance on Kolb, haven't seen him play.

The Joker
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Philly won't let Kolb go, and giving up our first would be asinine.

McNabb doesn't really make sense to bring in either. Orton was up and down this year, but he deserves another shot to be the starter next season.

Draft a mid-late round guy to sit for the year and develop alongside Brandstater.

TonyR
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't give up a #1 for either. A #2 I'd probably consider for McNabb, not certain on Kolb. But I don't think they'll let either go this offseason.

cousinal11
01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd take the kid from Fordham, Skelton, with our 6th.

Los Broncos
01-11-2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88395

SureShot
01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I would love to have McNabb I think he is a gamer and I think Andy Reid is more responsible for the Eagles failures than McNabb.

ZONA
01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
What exactly has Kolb done that Brandstater hasn't done? Am I missing something here? Why in the hell would you give a high pick away for somebody that hasn't done jack in the NFL (even though they may look promising) when you already have a young QB who shows signs of promise?

And NO on McNabb. I think he's a step above Orton but this team is trying to build a future, not get somebody in here who might last 2 more years in the league.

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Philly won't let Kolb go, and giving up our first would be asinine.

McNabb doesn't really make sense to bring in either. Orton was up and down this year, but he deserves another shot to be the starter next season.

Draft a mid-late round guy to sit for the year and develop alongside Brandstater.

Unsure why McNabb doesn't make sense. Huge upgrade with enough left in the tank while we develop younger talent.

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
What exactly has Kolb done that Brandstater hasn't done? Am I missing something here? Why in the hell would you give a high pick away for somebody that hasn't done jack in the NFL (even though they may look promising) when you already have a young QB who shows signs of promise?

And NO on McNabb. I think he's a step above Orton but this team is trying to build a future, not get somebody in here who might last 2 more years in the league.

I like Brandstater. But Kolb has played well and won in real NFL games.

Although I would like Brandy to be given a legit shot at competing to start.

ludo21
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Mcnabb would be an amazing pick up!!! 2nd or 3rd rounder would be a great trade for him..

No way they let him go for such a low price, but maybe....

Let Mcnabb use the rest of the gas he has left (2-3 years) and let Tom B. or Skelton or whoever we draft develop. Man that would be awesome. Also Orton would be gone!! Hurray!!

OBF1
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
He is not going anywhere, thread over.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4816179

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, because what Reid says in January is etched in stone and not at all coach speak. And it also answers the question about Kolb.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Played in a regular season game?

Moved up the depth chart?

That's just a couple things you missed... :welcome:

Killericon
01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Man, Kolb would be ****ing AMAZING.

OBF1
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, because what Reid says in January is etched in stone and not at all coach speak. And it also answers the question about Kolb.

Go ahead and dream/waste your time. I know your speculation is greater insite than what the head coach has said to the media.

gyldenlove
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
If we trade for Mcnabb we have let to Orton go.

I wouldn't like the trade, Mcdaniels doesn't run a WC offense and that is what Mcnabb is versed in so he would have a learning curve, he is also at an age and injury risk where he is not a long term answer to anything, so I just don't see it working.

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for Kolb, but anything else I wouldn't turn away. He didn't look bad when he replaced McNabb and he knows the west coast. Dunno how similar it is to McD's scheme, but can't be that far off.

1st 2 starts threw for over 300 yards...vs Saints and Chiefs...early in the season. 1st time ever a QB has had over 300 yards in 1st 2 starts.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I's take McNabb provided he wasn't going to lose any games. :)

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I's take McNabb provided he wasn't going to lose any games. :)

I'd take a Chris Simms if he weren't gonna lose a game...but he's obviously color blind so it won't work.

Jason in LA
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I've always been a McNabb fan. The guy has been a very good QB over the years. I'd be against sending a high round pick for him, mostly because he's starting to get up there in age, but I'd be all for a mid round pick. The guy is way better than Orton. It's not even close. If a deal like that is on the table, any team who needs a QB would be foolish not to take it.

TDmvp
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Orton was up and down this year, but he deserves another shot to be the starter next season.

God help us...

The Joker
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
God help us...

He ranked between number 10 and 15 in pretty much every category they have for assessing quarterbacks.

First year, new system, new teammates... it's hardly a terrible season by any means.

I'm not crowning him as the future of the franchise by any means, just saying you don't give up on a guy who was better than the league average in pretty much every way after one year.

PRBronco
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
He ranked between number 10 and 15 in pretty much every category they have for assessing quarterbacks.

First year, new system, new teammates... it's hardly a terrible season by any means.

I'm not crowning him as the future of the franchise by any means, just saying you don't give up on a guy who was better than the league average in pretty much every way after one year.

Not to mention he was actually being seriously discussed as an MVP candidate up until he got hurt in the 'Skins game.

mr007
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Not to mention he was actually being seriously discussed as an MVP candidate up until he got hurt in the 'Skins game.

Pass whatever you're smoking over here.

The Joker
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

No he wasn't.

Not by anyone sane, anyway. ;)

kmartin575
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Oh I don't know, he's actually started some games in the NFL. His first game was not very good against New Orleans. His next game was against my lowly Chiefs but nonetheless he had a 120.6 rating in that game (324 yards, 70.6 completion %, 2 TD 0 INT). It's not much but it's a heck of alot more than Brandstater. Obviously somebody hasn't done their research.

Popps
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I like McNabb but I'm not sure he's a good fit in this system.

Beyond that, I'm telling you guys... McDaniels knows he has stability at the QB spot. Orton is no Tom Brady, but he's not going to lose you games, either. Kyle is going to be our starter next year, mostly because after the kind of year we just had... McDaniels needs stability and a guy he doesn't have to teach the offense again. He needs to be able to build up both systems to where we can be successful with any QB, and then he knows Orton can win games when everyone is doing their jobs.

I'm not saying he's a long-term solution, but I think there's almost no chance McDaniels will choose to yank him and start fresh.

Again, after the turbulence we saw this year... the last thing the coach wants is a 4-12 season because he jammed a rookie into the line-up while guys like Champ and Dawkins get a year older.

People need to be prepared to have him around for another year. Honestly, he was an efficient QB. He was very good at times. We could do a whole lot worse, and he'll have another year in the system. It might not be as bad as people think.

Beyond that, I think it's imperative that we develop a guy behind him... which I assume McDaniels recognizes at this point.

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Go ahead and dream/waste your time. I know your speculation is greater insite than what the head coach has said to the media.

I agree that I'm idly speculating.

But you have to admit, we've heard things like this for various players every year, every offseason, etc, and at least I'd say half the time the opposite ends up happening.

Jason in LA
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Being better than the league average isn't saying much.

Pony Boy
01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Reid says McNabb his starter in 2010
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4816179

Dedhed
01-12-2010, 05:54 AM
People who are hoping that we don't bring back Orton are just off the charts stupid. Why would you bring in some other 2nd tier veteran who would need to learn the system from scratch, give up draft picks, and pay more money?

And Kolb, are you kidding me? You folks would probably given up a 1st and a 3rd for Coy Detmer back in the day.

Orton is no Peyton, but it would be completely moronic not to re-sign him, especially by going after some other "grass is greener" candidate like McNabb or, for the love of God, Kolb (REALLY?).

Draft another QB in the mid rounds and see if Brandstater or the rook can win the job by playing better.

watermock
01-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Kolb is very pretty good considering a small sample size.

Good arm, good mobility, not big, would be great backup/starter maybe.

watermock
01-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Oh I don't know, he's actually started some games in the NFL. His first game was not very good against New Orleans. His next game was against my lowly Chiefs but nonetheless he had a 120.6 rating in that game (324 yards, 70.6 completion %, 2 TD 0 INT). It's not much but it's a heck of alot more than Brandstater. Obviously somebody hasn't done their research.

eh, just shows the ignorance here.

Kolb played lights out when he played. We should grab him if Vick stays.

barryr
01-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Kolb is the future QB of the Eagles, so doubtful he's going anywhere to say the least. McNabb has a year left on his deal and they probably will keep him for another year to give Kolb one more year of seasoning before taking over the team. Unless they get bowled over by a trade proposal, which I doubt. McNabb can't stay healthy, so why the Broncos would trade a high draft choice for an aging, injury prone QB makes no sense. Philly doesn't even bother signing Vick if confident McNabb could make it a full season.

TonyR
01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
They're calling for McNabb's head on Philly sports radio. The guy on the local afternoon drive show on the ESPN station here said they'd probably only get a 3rd for him, 2nd at best. I think he stays.

TonyR
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Contract extension will be the key to McNabb staying put in Philly
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2010 12:04 PM ET

With Eagles coach Andy Reid and quarterback Donovan McNabb saying all the right things in the aftermath of yet another failed quest to win the Super Bowl, actions will speak much more loudly than words when it comes to the question of whether McNabb will return as the starter next year.

If/when McNabb extends his contract beyond the 2010 season, we'll believe that he'll be back.

Until then, we'll suspect that the Eagles are feigning interest in bringing McNabb back in order to operate from a position of strength if/when someone calls about a trade for McNabb.

And there could be many potential suitors.

If Kurt Warner retires, Arizona could be interested. If Brett Favre retires (and if it sticks), the Vikings could be interested.

The Browns could be interested.

The 49ers could be interested.

The Seahawks could be interested.

The Broncos could be interested.

McNabb will have fairly significant say in this regard; he'll have to want to play for the new team, and the new team will have to be willing to give him an acceptable contract extension.

So stay tuned on this one. Kevin Kolb showed enough in spot duty to warrant a shot at becoming the every-week starter, and it the Eagles decide to take that chance they could be trading both Mike Vick and McNabb in the same offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/12/contract-extension-will-be-the-key-to-mcnabb-staying-put-in-philly/

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
If it is reasonable I say get him, and we could extend him for a couple years and find the long term replacement.

bloodsunday
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Brandstater hasn't started an NFL game. Kolb has been in the league long enough (and started 2 games) that people have a better idea what he can do.

Rabb
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
If it is reasonable I say get him, and we could extend him for a couple years and find the long term replacement.

I agree with you actually, I even was thinking after they lost that he might be good with us

strong arm, moves around well

I also though just don't think we give up on Orton yet, but who knows what will happen

I wouldn't be shocked if Dawkins plays a big role in it if we do show some interest...you can't tell me McNabb also wouldn't be a little bit intrigued with Denver

bloodsunday
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Exactly. Did someone expect Reid to say on national TV after a disappointing loss that McNabb won't be back?! Of course he would say that.

Not to mention, whether Donovan is back depends a bit on him. He can always force his way out if he wants a new contract (a commitment) for something beyond next season.

I don't know where it will go, but I think Denver is crazy if they don't at least make the phone call to see what's up.

Like Popps, I'm not all that uncomfortable with our current situation. But I would still explore ways to improve it. Just like we did last year when we listened to offers for Cutler.

rastaman
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM

I believe Kolb started and won two games and threw for 300 plus yards in both games, the year McNab was benched or injured.

McD never gave Bradstater a chance to prove what type of potential talent he has. Once the game was out of reach against KC two weeks ago, would have been a good time to bench Orton and get Bradstater some game time experience/reps.

TonyR
01-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Not to mention, whether Donovan is back depends a bit on him. He can always force his way out if he wants a new contract (a commitment) for something beyond next season.

Funny you should say that because I heard Sal Paolantonio on Mike Missanelli's show on Philly's 97.5 The Fanatic this evening and this very thing was mentioned. Paolantonio said Andy Reid and Joe Banner, who run the organization, want McNabb back. So the only way he doesn't come back is if McNabb decides he doesn't want to be a lame duck QB and decides he doesn't want to return without an extension. Then they started reeling off teams that could be interested (Tampa, Carolina, Zona if Boldin retires, Denver, and maybe one or two more) and what the compensation would be (they both think a 3rd round pick is most likely). Fun to speculate if nothing else.

TonyR
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I believe Kolb started and won two games and threw for 300 plus yards in both games, the year McNab was benched or injured.

He threw for 391 and 2 TDs in a blowout loss to NO week 2, but also had 3 picks. Then he had a nice game and threw for 327 and 2 TDs against the Chiefs week 3.

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
To be fair, our current QB also had 2 TD's against the Chiefs... I mean, for the Chiefs...

Tee hee.

TonyR
01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Eagles owe McNabb $6.2 million in May
Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2010 12:08 PM ET

The 2009 contract restructuring without an extension (i.e., "financial apology") that the Eagles gave to quarterback Donovan McNabb includes an additional payment that comes at a curious point of the offseason.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Eagles owe McNabb a $6.2 million roster bonus as of May 5, 2010 -- and that comes after the draft. The timing gives the Eagles an extended opportunity to trade McNabb before having to "pay the man."

Though Schefter reports the date wasn't selected intentionally, there are no accidents when it comes to the timing of big-money payments like this. Agents routinely push for the money to come due as early as possible in the offseason, which forces the team to make a decision quickly as to whether the player is in the plans for the coming season -- and which gets the player onto the free-agent market while the big money is still flowing, if his current team decides to move on.

With 2010 set to unfold sans salary cap, McNabb's agent would have been committing malpractice if he didn't notice the proposed date of May 5 -- and if he didn't press for something earlier.

So we suspect there was a discussion about the date of the payment, that the Eagles decided not to move the due date to March, and that McNabb's camp received something in exchange for agreeing to the later date. (It's also possible that the Eagles initially wanted to pay the money in July or August, and that May was the compromise date.)

Either way, we will continue to believe that McNabb is available to be traded, unless and until his contract is extended beyond 2010.

Possible targets, in our view, include the Vikings, Cardinals, Broncos, Seahawks, and Browns.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/17/eagles-owe-mcnabb-62-million-in-may/

tsiguy96
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
dont want mcnabb, we dont needanother stop gap QB

TonyR
01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Time right for Eagles to deal McNabb

Quarterback, team could benefit from a split now

By GEOFF MOSHER
The News Journal

Donovan McNabb won't admit it, but he has likely played his last game in an Eagles uniform.

It's in the team's best interest to deal him while he still has a few good years left, and even though McNabb won't say it publicly, it's in his best interest, too.

The Eagles have three quarterbacks, two of whom very likely won't return. The obvious is Michael Vick, who has a club option of about $5 million next season and seeks a starting job.

It's unlikely the Eagles would pass over both McNabb and Kevin Kolb to make Vick the starter and even less likely that they'll pay him $5 million to be a backup. Instead, they'll try to deal him for draft picks.

Now is the best time to deal McNabb. There are almost a dozen teams looking for an upgrade at quarterback. McNabb, who turns 34 next season, is coming off one of his best seasons. His completion percentage (60.3), passer rating (92.9) and passing yards per game (253.8) were all higher than his career averages.

More than a half-dozen teams could use a quarterback of McNabb's caliber, and it's not far-fetched to imagine a bidding war between suitors that could net the Eagles any number of draft picks, maybe even a first-rounder.

The market is better for a five-time Pro Bowl quarterback than for an upstart like Kolb, who has only two career starts. The Eagles spent a second-round draft choice on Kolb, so it makes sense to unload McNabb, and if it means an 8-8 year of adjustment, so be it.

There's always a chance that coach Andy Reid can't remedy his McNabb itch and deals Kolb instead. If so, then McNabb gets an extension and the future looks a lot like the past.

Both McNabb and Kolb are free agents after 2010, so the team has to make a decision this offseason.

If 11 years have shown anything, it's that McNabb's presence behind center can be equal parts productive and disruptive.

In playoff games especially, the coaches put entirely too much responsibility on him to carry the offense. They ask a moderately accurate passer to lead a pass-first offense and abandon the run the moment they fall behind.

Kolb appears more willing to get rid of the ball quicker and take more chances. He's fairly mobile in the pocket, too. It's entirely possible the coaching staff takes a conservative approach with Kolb for the first few seasons and works the run game a little more, and maybe that's the difference between another playoff exit and the elusive Super Bowl title.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100117/SPORTS02/1170377/1002/SPORTS/Time+right+for+Eagles+to+deal+McNabb

Rabb
01-17-2010, 11:26 AM

I don't think he is as big of a stop gap as Orton is, he may actually be pretty effing good here

TonyR
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM

I don't necessarily disagree, although the Vikings are looking pretty good with their stop gap QB.

broncswin
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Do it for a 3rd and walk away smiling...but I really think it will take a 2nd to get him here, gonna have a good market of teams...would I pull the trigger, you damn right I would, I don't buy into the bull of him having a hard time adjusting to our O. His mobility in the pocket would be huge for us.

RhymesayersDU
01-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Do it for a 3rd and walk away smiling...but I really think it will take a 2nd to get him here, gonna have a good market of teams...would I pull the trigger, you damn right I would, I don't buy into the bull of him having a hard time adjusting to our O. His mobility in the pocket would be huge for us.

Agreed. Would it solve all our problems? No. But it'd be a pretty big upgrade at a pretty important position, and give us some time to 1) fix other problems and 2) start the search for a young QB to groom, etc. And hell, that may in fact be Brandstater. Who knows. We shall see, I guess.

TonyR
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Yup, if he could be had for a #3 I think it would have to be seriously considered. I don't know that I'd go any higher for a 34 yr old though, and somebody will probably be desperate enough to offer a #2 or better.