PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos' offense downright offensive

Bronco Rob
01-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Paige: Broncos' offense downright offensive

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/10/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

There's no "O" in Denver Brncs, Jsh McDaniels or Kyle rtn.

There's their primary problem and the reason they're not playing this weekend, so there.

The franchise hired a wunderkind from the Patriots because of his offensive imagination, inspiration and ingenuity.

The Brncs' offense didn't score a touchdown in two games, scored just one touchdown in three games and managed only two touchdowns in seven games. It produced three touchdowns in three games and four once.

The offense scored 30 touchdowns (21 passing, nine rushing) in 16 games (under two per game), finishing above nine dregs Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Redskins, Lions, Bills, Browns, Bucs and Rams.

In 2008, the Denver offense scored 40 touchdowns. In 1998, the team's last Super Bowl season, the offense scored 58 touchdowns.

This unit, led by the brain of McDaniels and the arm of Orton, wasn't clever, creative or competent.

Truth is, there was "D" in Denver, and it carried the Brncs until wearing down . . . and out.

The coach wants the quarterback back, and the quarterback wants to be back. But if they don't change and put the O's back in Brncs next season, neither will be invited back for a third season.

BTW, 16 of the team's 21 receiving touchdowns were by Brandon Marshall (10), Brandon Stokley (four) and Tony Scheffler (two), and two of those players definitely will be gone, and the third, Stokley, probably is a goner. Eddie Royal had zero touchdown catches.

Here's the game-by-game breakdown as the Brncs broke down:

Cincinnati With only two field goals to show for 59 minutes, the Brncs scored a late, winning touchdown on The Immaculate Deflection (Stokley).

Cleveland The Brncs blew out the pitiful Browns 27-6 with three touchdowns one by Scheffler and another by Peyton Hillis, who likely won't return. One touchdown was set up with a fumble recovery at the Browns' 10.

Oakland The Brncs won on the road 23-3 against the awful Raiders with a pair of touchdowns, including Marshall's first. An interception that gave the offense the ball at the Oakland 23 did result in a TD.

Dallas The defense staved off the Cowboys in the closing seconds and also recovered a fumble at the Dallas 17 that would lead to one of the two touchdowns, the winner by Marshall in the 17-10 victory.

New England The offense came up with two touchdowns, both by Marshall, to win in overtime.

San Diego The Brncs ended up with four touchdowns, but Royal produced two of those with long TD returns. Stokley and Scheffler had touchdown receptions in the 34-23 victory, Denver's sixth straight.

Baltimore The Brncs scored one touchdown in their first loss, a 30-7 beatdown.

Pittsburgh The defense scored the Brncs' only touchdown on a fumble return. (The offense had 13 touchdowns in the first half of the season.)

Washington Marshall scored Denver's two touchdowns before the starting quarterback was hurt, and the Brncs melted with Chris Simms, who will be dismissed.

San Diego One lousy field goal.

New York Giants Although the 26-6 victory by the Brncs looks impressive, they scored just two touchdowns (one by Stokley), and the defense can take credit for causing one with a fumble recovery on the Giants' end of the field.

kansas city With a fumble that was run in for a touchdown and an interception that went to the K.C. 21, the offense managed a season-high four touchdowns (one by Marshall).

Indianapolis The Brncs scored two touchdowns on Marshall catches.

Oakland In the devastating defeat at home, the offense got only one touchdown (by Marshall).

Philadelphia Three touchdowns, but the seventh loss.

kansas city The offense scored two touchdowns, and the defense set up another with an interception return to the Chiefs' 3 in the humiliating, season-scorching loss to the Chiefs.

The offense that didn't score an adequate number of touchdowns was ineffective in the red zone, unsuccessful on critical third and fourth downs, conservative on first and second downs, inconsistent with a soft rushing and a horizontal passing strategy and unproductive in the first quarter.

It's touchdown football, not touch football.

You can't win in the National Football League or the Pop Warner League with an offense scoring three touchdowns in one four-game losing streak and six in another four-game losing streak.

The quarterback said privately that he wasn't allowed by the coach to throw deep often enough, and the coach said publicly that the quarterback had a "pretty decent" season. The remarks weren't complimentary.

Those who believe the coach and/or the quarterback should be run out of town won't, and shouldn't, get their wish. But the two have to prove and improve themselves in 2010, or there won't be playoffs for Denver for a fifth consecutive season.

Put the "O" back in the ffense and the Brncs.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14158182#ixzz0cD5ux0L4

broncofan7
01-10-2010, 08:01 AM
The offense scored 30 touchdowns (21 passing, nine rushing) in 16 games (under two per game), finishing above nine dregs Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Redskins, Lions, Bills, Browns, Bucs and Rams.

In 2008, the Denver offense scored 40 touchdowns. In 1998, the team's last Super Bowl season, the offense scored 58 touchdowns.

This unit, led by the brain of McDaniels and the arm of Orton, wasn't clever, creative or competent.

Truth is, there was "D" in Denver, and it carried the Brncs until wearing down . . . and out.
The coach wants the quarterback back, and the quarterback wants to be back. But if they don't change and put the O's back in Brncs next season, neither will be invited back for a third season

There's no "O" in Denver Brncs, Jsh McDaniels or Kyle rtn.

There's their primary problem and the reason they're not playing this weekend, so there.

The franchise hired a wunderkind from the Patriots because of his offensive imagination, inspiration and ingenuity.

IS Woody Paige reading my posts? Seriously, I am MUCH better suited for Tv than he is--and since we share the same opinions--perhaps I can take his spot on ATH?

tsiguy96
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
IS Woody Paige reading my posts? Seriously, I am MUCH better suited for Tv than he is--and since we share the same opinions--perhaps I can take his spot on ATH?

woody paige also called for chris simms all season, and said mcdaniels is destroying the team, and 3-13. so yes you guys make the same points, become overly dramatic and say stupid **** to get a reaction out of people.

go_broncos
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
If Kyle Orton remains our QB and Mcd calling plays, it will remain the same.

lostknight
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
The offense scored 30 touchdowns (21 passing, nine rushing) in 16 games (under two per game), finishing above nine dregs — Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Redskins, Lions, Bills, Browns, Bucs and Rams.

This is a great rebut for all of the people who respond to anyone bringing up how good the offense was last year by turning up their nose and saying "that offense sucked, because it's all about points."

If that offense sucks, what's this years? Overwhelming catastrophically bad. Yes Charlie Weis is now in Kansas City, and McDaniels will still be play calling next year.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah!

Broncos4tw
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Nonsense, our offense was stellar! We have stats dammit.. STATS! Stats to prove it! Yardage = TOUCHDOWNS.. duh? Lack of interceptions means you scored lots of points!

I wonder how far into next year, the Orton apologists will continue to defend him, if this continues.

Killericon
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Man, if you compare ANY season to 1998, it seems bad.

Anyways, yes. McD didn't deliver on the offence this year. We focused our efforts on defence last offseason, and it paid off. This time, we're going to focus on the offence, and I think it'll pay off again.

RhymesayersDU
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Great breakdown by Woodrow. Our offense was bad, no matter what some people like to say.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I could really go on a rant about the 2009 O. But I'll just say I wasn't impressed with the team's overall toughness.

TheReverend
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
The quarterback said privately that he wasn't allowed by the coach to throw deep often enough, and the coach said publicly that the quarterback had a "pretty decent" season. The remarks weren't complimentary.

When did this come out? And if he only said it privately to Woody, why is he breaking that privacy/confidence?

Tombstone RJ
01-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Great breakdown by Woodrow. Our offense was bad, no matter what some people like to say.

Are you serious? Woody didn't say one thing we all didn't already know. Why did he even write the article? Is trying to finally be right on something?

Well thank you very little woodrow.

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Funny thing is other then new QB imo we have the same needs no matter if its Shanny or McD.

Denver has needed more size more talent on both lines for years.

Even with Cutler etc I'd still want a speed RB and more speed added to WR position. Imo McD offense needs world class speed added or it won't be that successful here.

We need youth at S CB another LB would be nice

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 12:58 PM
When did this come out? And if he only said it privately to Woody, why is he breaking that privacy/confidence?

Good questions. There's lots of questions that will only be answered in say 12 months.

Rigs11
01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
so mcd woulnt let orton throw down field? Gee who would of thunk it orton bashers?

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
We'll find out in about 12 months if McD can get it done. I thought it was a tentative offense. Whether McD held Orton back, or McD was worried about Orton's liabilities I don't know. All I know is it was a tentative offense. Low risk all the time, and not crisp.

Rabb
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I am an Orton supporter, let me say that first to avoid the flames

but

I can see why McD did not want him throwing deep because Orton was under throwing people this year a lot of the time when he did go deep

so to minimize mistakes, McD took that away

I am positive it will be something they work on this offseason, and I don't think it is an arm strength issue as much as timing and delivery and I think McD can help him there

just my .02

Popps
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM

but

I can see why McD did not want him throwing deep because Orton was under throwing people this year a lot of the time when he did go deep

And it worked.

Until the Washington game, where he let Orton come out firing deep downfield. That worked, too.

Too bad he got injured. Truly believe we'd be playing this weekend had it not been for that injury.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 01:58 PM

but

I am positive it will be something they work on this offseason, and I don't think it is an arm strength issue as much as timing and delivery and I think McD can help him there
just my .02

Agreed. Lord knows I hope it gets corrected, because in the absence of a kickass defense and ST's the O has to get the scoring up to be playoff caliber.

Atwater His Ass
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
bottom line is that this team is further from winning than they were in '08. It was a dramatic step backward this year and a real slap in the face. Espcially considering at the very least Mcd was supposed to keep this team competitive and not folding in on itself in the 2nd half of the season.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
bottom line is that this team is further from winning than they were in '08. It was a dramatic step backward this year and a real slap in the face. Espcially considering at the very least Mcd was supposed to keep this team competitive and not folding in on itself in the 2nd half of the season.

But they're "accountable" which you know, wins games and all.

Talent is for the birds.

If you think this year was a step back, wait until September.

broncofan7
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Talent is for the birds.

BINGO! Delaware is FULL of Intelligent people. Must be the thin air in Colorado and the dumbed down schools out in Cali that lead people to think otherwise.

2 and 8 as the team grew more familiar with McD's system.....

tsiguy96
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
you guys are idiots. its like, when one of the retarded armchair GMs posts, you get 5 others ready to slob your knob in agreement at how retarded mcd is and what a horrible coach. too bad the people who actually have experience running and owning football teams disagree with you.

Atwater His Ass
01-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Talent is for the birds.

The training wheels need to come off for Orton. He's coming into his 5th year now as an NFL QB and if he can't handle a creative offense, then he needs to go.

I don't think Orton has the ability to suceed well myself, but given the fact that he isn't even given the opportunity to either suceed or fail by McD, we'll never know for sure.

db56
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been going back and forth on McDaniels and Orton all season, but imo the bottom line is we're going to have to get much stronger up front. Weigmann and Hochstein have been a good pros but they are back up's at this point in their careers.

The running game was atrocious the last two months of the year and without having an Elway like QB to carry the team post season football is near impossible when you cant run the ball. the middle of the O line has to be improved..

Tombstone RJ
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
yeppers, this offense needs some serious help. no self respecting Broncos fan can deny that.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
The training wheels need to come off for Orton. He's coming into his 5th year now as an NFL QB and if he can't handle a creative offense, then he needs to go.

I don't think Orton has the ability to suceed well myself, but given the fact that he isn't even given the opportunity to either suceed or fail by McD, we'll never know for sure.

Funny thing is Orton's offense at Purdue was way more innovative than this one.

db56
01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Funny thing is Orton's offense at Purdue was way more innovative than this one.

Lol! I would be that his O line give him more than 1.5 seconds to throw as well..

Bronco Rob
01-11-2010, 04:10 AM
8')

DrFate
01-11-2010, 08:08 AM
you guys are idiots. its like, when one of the retarded armchair GMs posts, you get 5 others ready to slob your knob in agreement at how retarded mcd is and what a horrible coach.

That works both ways. Anytime someone says what an unqualified genius McDaniels is, folks like Popps post it, in bold letters, and quote it as if Moses presented it on a stone tablet.

too bad the people who actually have experience running and owning football teams disagree with you.

There are a number of those people who consistently FAIL.

TonyR
01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
...bottom line is that this team is further from winning than they were in '08.

This assumes that you win more with offense than defense which is certainly a questionable assumption.

Bigdawg26
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Like McDaniels but Orton has to go. You can't be creative when you have a LIMITED quarterback. Plain and simple Kyle Orton cant make all the throws, and hell to think about it he can only throw 5-7 yard comebacks and out routes. So Mcdaniels must retard his offense for Orton.

colonelbeef
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
If Kyle Orton remains our QB and Mcd calling plays, it will remain the same.

Yep. Pedestrian, stubborn, unimaginative offense. McDaniels made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it with his new wife, Kyle Orton

TonyR
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
The NFL has become a passing league, no doubt about it. As Bill Simmons pointed out:
QBs throwing for more than 4,000 yards: 1999 (five); 2009 (10).
QBs throwing 26-plus TDs: 1999 (three); 2009 (11).
QBs completing 335-plus passes: 1999 (two); 2009 (11).
QBs with a 95-plus passer rating: 1999 (two); 2009 (nine). (Seven of the top 53 QB ratings all-time were posted this season.)
QBs with 21-plus TDs who were at least plus-9 for TDs versus INTs: 1999 (six); 2009 (14)
According to Peter King, there were 866 pass plays of 25-plus yards (third-highest since 1992)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100108

But did anyone notice the importance of the running game over the weekend? Check out what the winners did:

Jets: 41 carries, 171 yards vs. only 15 pass attempts
Cowboys: 35 carries, 198 yards vs. 35 pass attempts
Ravens: 52 carries, 234 yards vs. only 10 pass attempts
Cardinals: 23 carries, 156 vs. 33 pass attempts

The Jets and Ravens didn't even try to pass. The Cowboys ran very effectively. And even though passing was more the Cards game they did run very effectively. And all of this rushing success against playoff defenses!