PDA

View Full Version : Good Eddie Royal read

brother love
01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I came across this article and thought it was a decent take.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/1/7/1237165/tales-from-the-sunnyside-eddie

Popps
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Great read.

McDaniels was really high on him when he came to town, and I feel like he tried to keep working the ball to him, even though it wasn't alway successful. He won't give up on him. I guarantee you that much.

I expect him to be a big contributor in the future.

BroncoMan4ever
01-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Great read.

McDaniels was really high on him when he came to town, and I feel like he tried to keep working the ball to him, even though it wasn't alway successful. He won't give up on him. I guarantee you that much.

i agree. look at his rookie year. he was always at his best when he had time to do double moves on a corner to create separation. this season it was all quick passes and screens and he was basically smothered by his defender and either unable to be in a position to have the ball thrown to him or when he did get the ball had no chance of getting away for longer yardage.

McDaniels will find him a way to get the ball in his hands

UberBroncoMan
01-10-2010, 01:19 AM
i agree. look at his rookie year. he was always at his best when he had time to do double moves on a corner to create separation. this season it was all quick passes and screens and he was basically smothered by his defender and either unable to be in a position to have the ball thrown to him or when he did get the ball had no chance of getting away for longer yardage.

It's inevitable with Stokely a year older and Marshall/Scheffler as good as gone.

hambone13
01-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Great read.

I'm so tempted to ask how much you like Irish balls in your mouth but I'll refrain. Seriously, the ball was not "worked to him". When a player is that fast out of the break, 2-5 yard passes should be abundant. He was not targeted, flat out.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 08:41 AM

I agree. There's room to criticize McD/McCoy for 'misusing' Royal in that regard.

Now, for all I know they did try to use Royal with double-move type patterns but it wasn't clicking with Orton, who to me doesn't seem to anticipate where the ball has to be placed on those double-move patterns. Maybe and hopefully with a little more work together the passing O can click better on the longer patterns - seems to me that would make the WR screens more effective.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm so tempted to ask how much you like Irish balls in your mouth but I'll refrain. Seriously, the ball was not "worked to him". When a player is that fast out of the break, 2-5 yard passes should be abundant. He was not targeted, flat out.

Royal was targeted plenty. One problem was Orton was delivering the ball late too often. Royal would have had maybe 15-20 more catches if Orton would have let it fly a heartbeat or two quicker. To me, Orton needs to work on that aspect of his game.

gyldenlove
01-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree. There's room to criticize McD/McCoy for 'misusing' Royal in that regard.

Now, for all I know they did try to use Royal with double-move type patterns but it wasn't clicking with Orton, who to me doesn't seem to anticipate where the ball has to be placed on those double-move patterns. Maybe and hopefully with a little more work together the passing O can click better on the longer patterns - seems to me that would make the WR screens more effective.

Orton not being good with double move patterns is certainly one of the two main reasons why Royal was not succesful this year. I feel the other reason is that he was used exclusively on the outside and ended up running mostly patterns where you take on the CB directly rather than trying to move away from the CB and in those situations he was simply not able to get himself between the CB and the ball and create the passing window due to his size. This is one thing Marshall does very well, even if he doesn't have separation he can shield the catch with his body and his strength and effectively be open even though he has a defender on him.

The Joker
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
A large problem was that Royal was the only receiver we had on the roster with any sort of legitimate deep speed. Our offense requires that one of the receivers run a deep pattern more often than not, mostly in an attempt to create space for the underneath stuff. Because Eddie was the guy out there with some speed, the responsibility often seemed to fall on him.

Problem is, that's not his game. This combined with Orton's unwillingness to throw the ball down field very often when there was single coverage meant Royal was often invisible out there.

Our offense has the same receiver as the #1 read more often than most offenses do. The play is usually only designed to pick up a few yards on the throw, then the WR has the opportunity to pick up more after the catch. Until the defense makes a concentrated effort to take that away, McDaniels will keep calling it. It's why Marshall was able to have 21 catches in a game, and the reason Welker had had over 110 catches in each of the last 3 years in New England.

Marshall played that role this year, and it's hard to argue with that decision given how good he is at picking up YAC.

The other important receiver in the offense is the guy who plays the Moss role, which Marshall really isn't suited to because he's not got great deep speed and doesn't go up to get the deep ball very well for the most part. So, you put your best receiver (Marshall) in a role he's suited to and go from there.

With Marshall looking like he's going to be out the door, that leaves the Welker role up for grabs. Eddie looks to be the best guy on the roster to step up and take it. Let's hope he does.

A big priority this offseason will be getting a tall receiver with legitimate deep speed who can stretch the field and come down with some jump balls if he's in single coverage downfield and the QB throws one up for grabs.

I like our depth at the receiver spot after that, Gaffney would be a nice #3 option and either Stokely or McKinley (if he steps up in his second year) would be fine at #4.

I really think Eddie will step it up next year and have the year we all expected from him this past season in 2010.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
A large problem was that Royal was the only receiver we had on the roster with any sort of legitimate deep speed. Our offense requires that one of the receivers run a deep pattern more often than not, mostly in an attempt to create space for the underneath stuff. Because Eddie was the guy out there with some speed, the responsibility often seemed to fall on him.

Problem is, that's not his game. This combined with Orton's unwillingness to throw the ball down field very often when there was single coverage meant Royal was often invisible out there.

Our offense has the same receiver as the #1 read more often than most offenses do. The play is usually only designed to pick up a few yards on the throw, then the WR has the opportunity to pick up more after the catch. Until the defense makes a concentrated effort to take that away, McDaniels will keep calling it. It's why Marshall was able to have 21 catches in a game, and the reason Welker had had over 110 catches in each of the last 3 years in New England.

Marshall played that role this year, and it's hard to argue with that decision given how good he is at picking up YAC.

The other important receiver in the offense is the guy who plays the Moss role, which Marshall really isn't suited to because he's not got great deep speed and doesn't go up to get the deep ball very well for the most part. So, you put your best receiver (Marshall) in a role he's suited to and go from there.

With Marshall looking like he's going to be out the door, that leaves the Welker role up for grabs. Eddie looks to be the best guy on the roster to step up and take it. Let's hope he does.

A big priority this offseason will be getting a tall receiver with legitimate deep speed who can stretch the field and come down with some jump balls if he's in single coverage downfield and the QB throws one up for grabs.

I like our depth at the receiver spot after that, Gaffney would be a nice #3 option and either Stokely or McKinley (if he steps up in his second year) would be fine at #4.

I really think Eddie will step it up next year and have the year we all expected from him this past season in 2010.

The staff, the players, the FO, the owner, they sure better toughen up, because the 2009 team pretty much pissed on their own feet when they had all the cards.

db56
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
it just seems strange to watch a player go from that kind of production one year, to basically nothing the next, even if it was a new system..