PDA

View Full Version : It's wait and see for Sharpe and Hall induction

Bronco Rob
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
It's wait and see for Sharpe and Hall induction

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/09/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Having caught his last pass, run his last route, scored his last touchdown and played in his last Super Bowl, Shannon Sharpe believes he did all he could possibly do in his 14-year NFL career.

But that doesn't make the waiting any easier for entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"It's always good to be the topic of discussion when that's the topic," Sharpe said. "I'm going to try not to get as wrapped up in it as I was last year. I guess I'll wait and see. You know, I've done all I can do. You can't add any more to your resume that's it."

Sharpe, who played 12 of his 14 seasons with the Broncos and was inducted into the team's Ring of Fame this past season, was selected Friday as one of the 15 modern-era finalists to be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2010.

It is the second time Sharpe, who retired as the league's all-time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns for tight ends, has made the list of finalists. Last year, his first of eligibility for the Hall, Sharpe made the cut to the final 10.

Sharpe joins a star-studded list that includes Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice and Tim Brown, all of whom are in their first year of eligibility.

"Obviously, these are all guys I went to a number of Pro Bowls with, guys I know and played against," Sharpe said. "It's almost where you're splitting hairs do you like one guy a little more than the other on that day? A lot of great players are on that list, but that's the Hall of Fame."

Hall of Fame cornerback Rod Woodson, who was enshrined this past year and was a teammate of Sharpe's in Baltimore, said Sharpe was a "guaranteed Hall of Famer."

The Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors will meet Feb. 6 in Miami, the day before the Super Bowl, to select the Class of 2010. Up to five modern-era candidates can be selected and a maximum of two seniors candidates.

Former Broncos running back Floyd Little and former Detroit Lions cornerback Dick LeBeau are the two seniors committee nominees this year. Seniors nominees are voted on independently from the rest of the class, with a simple "yes" or "no" vote after their presentations are made.

Little retired in 1975 and, at the time, was seventh on the all-time rushing list. The six players in front of him on the rushing list at the time of his retirement are all in the Hall of Fame.

John Elway and Gary Zimmerman are the only players who played at least five years with the Broncos who are enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

List of finalists

Modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010. A maximum of five can be selected for enshrinement:

TE Shannon Sharpe
WR Tim Brown
WR Cris Carter
Coach Don Coryell
RB Roger Craig
DE Richard Dent
C Dermontti Dawson
G Russ Grimm
DE Charles Haley
LB Rickey Jackson
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT John Randle